TX - Botham Shem Jean, 26, killed when police officer entered wrong apartment, Dallas, Sept 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
At work? I sure hope not. If so, that’s gonna say a hell of a lot. Don’t hold my feet to the fire yet; but I think I read an article saying she walked home from work in uniform. I saw another article showing the google map of the distance between the PD and her apt. It wasn’t far.

Anywhere to stop in between?

After she murdered this man, was she immediately tested for drugs or alcohol? Was she immediately brought in for questioning? If not, I am going to be extremely angry.

It's one thing to make a mistake, but seeing as how when inserting her key into what she thought was her apartment and the key pad constantly going red instead of green... I would think she might have realized she was at the wrong apartment... especially if it's true that he has a specific rug outside his door and I am also going to assume that the apartments have numbers?

If it's true that she was yelling "Open Up" I think he may have said something to her... like, "Who is it?" when he heard someone trying to get into his apartment and she could have identified herself as a Police Officer and he peaked out a peep hole and opened the door after seeing she was in uniform only for her to shoot him TWICE in the chest.

Again, they better have tested her for drugs or alcohol and took her in for questioning immediately because working a "long shift" doesn't make sense at all. Something was not right with her to not realize she was at the wrong apartment after her key wasn't working. A normal acting person would have went to the front desk (I don't know what they call the person working in the lobby of an apartment complex) and asking why their key isn't working.

I also hope there is video in the hallways.

I also don't know if manslaughter is the proper charge in a case like this when she was literally trying to enter someone's home. I know if this was a regular citizen, the charges would be more severe.

The officer who shot Jean is white, and Jean said she wondered whether the outcome would have been different if her son hadn't been black.

"I don't want to judge her. We are Christians. We forgive," she said. "But I need to look into her eyes and ask her why did she do that to my son.

"She took away my heart. My soul. He didn't deserve to die."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As of late Friday, authorities had yet to fully explain how the situation escalated to the shooting, declining to comment on whether the officer mistook Jean for an intruder.

"I won't go into that information right now," said Sgt. Warren Mitchell, a police spokesman. "We have not interviewed her. ... We still have a lot to do in this investigation."

Officials said that after the officer reported that Jean was wounded, other police arrived within four minutes and administered first aid.

Dallas officer faces manslaughter charge for shooting man in apartment she thought was hers, police chief says | Crime | Dallas News

They DIDN'T interview her after she killed a man??? What did they do? Just send her home??

This is not normal.

At work? I sure hope not. If so, that’s gonna say a hell of a lot. Don’t hold my feet to the fire yet; but I think I read an article saying she walked home from work in uniform. I saw another article showing the google map of the distance between the PD and her apt. It wasn’t far.

All the reports I've seen so far have said she worked a 12-hour shift, and she actually worked overtime because of an arrest at the end of her shift, but they haven't reported how long she had been off work before she arrived home.

This is an odd situation. I'm guessing that she invoked her right to remain silent? So that they couldn't interview her? Initially it was being treated as an officer involved shooting so she would have not been expected to be interviewed immediately. Then, once it wasn't being treated that way, she probably wanted a lawyer? I'm not really sure....

This is an odd situation. I'm guessing that she invoked her right to remain silent? So that they couldn't interview her?

Initially it was being treated as an officer involved shooting so she would have not been expected to be interviewed immediately. Then, once it wasn't being treated that way, she probably wanted a lawyer? I'm not really sure....

She then put down several things she was holding and continued to fight with the key when the resident swung open the door and startled her. The officer believed Jean, who was wearing only underwear, was an intruder and shot him with her service weapon. It wasn't until police and rescue units began arriving that she realized she was not at her apartment.
Warrant Coming for Officer Who Killed Man in Dallas Apt.

Lock her up.

She then put down several things she was holding and continued to fight with the key when the resident swung open the door and startled her. The officer believed Jean, who was wearing only underwear, was an intruder and shot him with her service weapon. It wasn't until police and rescue units began arriving that she realized she was not at her apartment.
Warrant Coming for Officer Who Killed Man in Dallas Apt.

Lock her up.

So she put down several things she was holding... presumably on the doormat this man had outside his apartment door?

Then, she thought that an intruder in his UNDERWEAR had opened the door to let her into her own apartment while he was burglarizing it? After having somehow changed the locks so her key wouldn't work?

Then she thought that this intruder, in his UNDERWEAR posed such a serious risk to her that she had to use lethal force? In a hallway? Where she had a way out and he did not?

What? This makes no sense.
I do not understand how she thought she was at her own apartment.
I do not understand how she felt justified to use lethal force twice.
I do not understand.

So she put down several things she was holding... presumably on the doormat this man had outside his apartment door?

Then, she thought that an intruder in his UNDERWEAR had opened the door to let her into her own apartment while he was burglarizing it? After having somehow changed the locks so her key wouldn't work?

Then she thought that this intruder, in his UNDERWEAR posed such a serious risk to her that she had to use lethal force? In a hallway? Where she had a way out and he did not?

What? This makes no sense.
I do not understand how she thought she was at her own apartment.
I do not understand how she felt justified to use lethal force twice.
I do not understand.

I don't understand either. And from the link:

"Dallas Chief of Police U. Renee Hall announced the warrant during a news conference early Friday afternoon and added that a blood sample will be drawn from the officer to test for drugs and/or alcohol"

Now? They're going to draw a blood sample NOW? A little late now, isn't it?

And then there's this:

"Police haven't released the identity of the officer, though they did confirm she's a white female. The officer is not in police custody and Hall said Friday afternoon she wasn't sure of the officer's current location."

They don't know where she's at?

Accounting / auditing / business restructuring etc.

I've skipped from page 1 to page 6, so I have no idea why PWC is relevant.
PWC is the victim's employer.

It means the victim should have a great career path ahead, and anyone found responsible for his death might be liable to a huge compensation in a lawsuit...

I wonder about the arrest protocol. If it had been an officer-involved shooting (if she had been on duty), then the police officer has the right to see all of the body camera and dashboard camera video before they are required to give a statement. I think they get to wait a few days to calm down, and they have an opportunity to speak with a police union lawyer or representative before they give a statement, too.

I'd be dollars to donuts that the Dallas DA will take this case to the grand jury, and the officer will be no-billed, and they will announce this tragedy was the result of a very unfortunate accident.

I disagree .I think in order to not rile up the BLM they are going after her as well as they should. They don't want a full blown riot to happen

I hope she was blood tested on alcohol. Although, we could see the "Goodman Defense", "after the incident, I had a few drinks to settle down". Right. Sure, that is EXACTLY what any person would do after shooting someone, grab a bottle of rum and have several shots.
NOT!

Pretty quick on the draw, guy opens the door, before assessing anything the gal shoots him? There must be more to this, because that is crazy scary.

She should have been charged, jailed, and had a bond hearing. It sounds like they said, "Oh, gee, you shot someone by mistake? Okay, go home and get some rest, we will see you in the morning.". WTH?!

I think a key question is (excuse the pun), whether the door lock behaves the same way when locked from inside (intruder scenario) and when there is a problem with it (such as using the wrong key). It seems like a modern digital one so I don't know. If it doesn't - there would be no excuse for the 'mistake', and she would be better off to plead drunk, drugged etc.

How long she has been living there, how new are those locks, are also a consideration.

I hope there will be justice for the guy, whatever the circumstances it could not be his fault. In fact he might be too nice and helpful. I would not open the door for anyone, whatever they are yelling, in my underwear :confused:

She has to scream 'open up' at what she says she believes was her own apartment? Did she not wonder why her key did not work? She immediately assumes that a man who opens the door to her is burgling her apartment? What burglar answers the door?

Agree. And what burglar is able to get inside your apartment and reprogram your computerized lock so your passcode doesn't work? What burglar has those kinds of skills and access to the apartment complex computer system?

Seems like there were a couple of steps in this decision tree where, if the officer had paused a sec, should have indicated they were at the wrong apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get