TX TX - Caleb Harris, 21, Texas A&M University student, Corpus Christi, 4 Mar 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because WE don’t have basic facts nailed down doesn’t mean LE doesn’t. The amount of resources brought into this case right away is impressive.
We have to remember that LE has to prepare subpoenas and then they must wait for cellphone companies, app companies, etc to give them the digital information, then that information has to be analyzed, and then tracked down. Unfortunately, that takes time. In the meantime, they conducted searches, interviewed neighbors, collected video/cctv footage from the area, etc. They brought in SAR units, the Texas Rangers, the FBI, and numerous other agencies.
We have a young man who disappeared in an isolated area in the middle of a dark foggy night. Someone didn’t run up to LE the first night and say, “I just saw Caleb get snatched. Here’s the plate number of the car and the description of the perpetrator.”
Everyone wants this young man found ASAP and that includes the LEO’s who are working this case. Sorry you are not impressed.

Agree, plus this article clearly states: (bolded by me)

“Senior Office Jennifer Collier with CCPD Public Information Office said there’s a lot of information that cannot be publicly released, which is typical during active missing person investigations.”

MOO: The only theory I can come up with that seems possible and fits the current evidence is that Caleb was hit by a car while waiting outside wandering around (I pace around when I’m waiting). He snapped the pic of the bridge as, or right after he was hit and didn’t necessarily mean to send the snap. The driver freaked out and took the possibly unconscious or worse Caleb to hide the accident. I could see another college student not seeing him in the dark, possibly driving while intoxicated, who would be terrified of the consequences, taking him and turning off his phone. It’s too bad there isn’t more video footage.
If this happened, what a heavy load of guilt the driver would be carrying around for the rest of his/her life. To me this scenario fits the best. Imo

I’m going to take the unpopular opinion here and say I think he’s in the water due to self-harm.

Just because someone is making future plans, as we know on this forum, does not mean they are not depressed or masking. The reason I asked upthread if he and his friends had been drinking is because I know how the highs and lows of drinking work. His dad is reassured because Caleb was texting him during the evening talking about fishing lures, but that could be the “high” of alcohol (if they were drinking). How many of you have gone out drinking and made “drunk plans” never to do the things you all discussed the night you were drunk? Alcohol is fun…at first. But the withdrawal from alcohol after the evening is over, especially if you’re already depressed (I’m not saying Caleb was), is terrible. It’s a depressant and it typically leaves you feeling worse than before you drank. It feels like the world and all your life decisions come crashing down on you. It’s very heavy.

I know there is a lot of assumption on my part that he and his friends were drinking, but I’m making that assumption based on a group of college kids that are of legal age to drink, living in an off-campus apartment in a college town. Not to mention they were up and outside extremely late at night/early in the morning. What else would they be doing? Studying? lol

I don’t think he was hit by a car (there would be some evidence) and I definitely don’t think he was abducted; what would the motive be? To me, the only explanation is, he walked off on his own accord.

I’m going to take the unpopular opinion here and say I think he’s in the water due to self-harm.

Just because someone is making future plans, as we know on this forum, does not mean they are not depressed or masking. The reason I asked upthread if he and his friends had been drinking is because I know how the highs and lows of drinking work. His dad is reassured because Caleb was texting him during the evening talking about fishing lures, but that could be the “high” of alcohol (if they were drinking). How many of you have gone out drinking and made “drunk plans” never to do the things you all discussed the night you were drunk? Alcohol is fun…at first. But the withdrawal from alcohol after the evening is over, especially if you’re already depressed (I’m not saying Caleb was), is terrible. It’s a depressant and it typically leaves you feeling worse than before you drank. It feels like the world and all your life decisions come crashing down on you. It’s very heavy.

I know there is a lot of assumption on my part that he and his friends were drinking, but I’m making that assumption based on a group of college kids that are of legal age to drink, living in an off-campus apartment in a college town. Not to mention they were up and outside extremely late at night/early in the morning. What else would they be doing? Studying? lol

I don’t think he was hit by a car (there would be some evidence) and I definitely don’t think he was abducted; what would the motive be? To me, the only explanation is, he walked off on his own accord.

But I mean, we can then say about every single missing person case on this forum that they must have committed suicide since there's no motive we know of for abduction. If they're college age, then they could all have been drinking. I don't think anything we know thus far points to self harm.

MOO.

It was only a minute or two to get to the bridge. It literally borders the apartment complex.

As far as the Snapchat photo is concerned, the recipient lives in Colorado. For the latest update from LE, you may want to check out Nancy Grace's show if you can handle her interviewing style. The assistant chief of police was interviewed as well as Caleb's father. It may answer some of your questions about that last reported "ping" at 3:12am which is still a mystery but the assistant chief thinks is "erroneous".
Wow Nancy Grace is quite a character.. that's the first video of hers I've ever watched. Anyway, thanks for mentioning it, it was helpful in understanding the timeline a bit better and the reasons why some things aren't certain

1 a.m. – Caleb is seen on a Ring doorbell camera with his roommate, friend, and puppy
2 a.m. – Roommate goes to sleep. Caleb is preparing his fishing reels for the next day. This is the last time his roommate sees Caleb
2:44 a.m. – Caleb sends a Snapchat to his sister, walking the new dog
2:58 a.m. – Caleb’s phone is turned off, or dies. It pings at his apartment complex
3:03 a.m. – Caleb sends a Snapchat of the bridge to an old high school friend. From the Nancy Grace video around the 30:10 mark, Dad says the dog is back at their apartment at this point - they must know that somehow, and not just because the dog is back at home in the morning when Caleb is discovered missing, as Caleb could have had the dog with him at the time of the snap and then taken him back home after. Doorbell footage maybe?
3:20 a.m. – Uber driver seen on surveillance camera with Caleb’s order

So Caleb walked the dog at 2:44, sending a snap to his sister and took the dog back home. Then he went back out for some reason and sent a snap to his old high school friend. Why? What's the significance of that place? Is it somewhere he'd met that friend before? Does it mean something to them? Was he due to meet that person, or hoping to when they received the snap?

But I mean, we can then say about every single missing person case on this forum that they must have committed suicide since there's no motive we know of for abduction. If they're college age, then they could all have been drinking. I don't think anything we know thus far points to self harm.

MOO.
I'm just trying to find the simplest explanation for what happened in this particular case - not all missing person cases, just this one.

The bridge picture he took looks like it was from the sidewalk and not the road. His apartment complex off Ennis Jones Rd and those fields seems like there probably isn't much traffic on that road at that time of night.

I just can't at all buy it that he was hit by a car or got abducted. If you remove those two possibilities, what else does that leave? I'm genuinely curious.

And I don't think anything we know thus far points to a car accident or abduction.

Wow Nancy Grace is quite a character.. that's the first video of hers I've ever watched. Anyway, thanks for mentioning it, it was helpful in understanding the timeline a bit better and the reasons why some things aren't certain

1 a.m. – Caleb is seen on a Ring doorbell camera with his roommate, friend, and puppy
2 a.m. – Roommate goes to sleep. Caleb is preparing his fishing reels for the next day. This is the last time his roommate sees Caleb
2:58 a.m. – Caleb’s phone is turned off, or dies. It pings at his apartment complex
3:03 a.m. – Caleb sends a Snapchat of the bridge to an old high school friend. From the Nancy Grace video around the 30:10 mark, Dad says the dog is back at their apartment at this point - they must know that somehow, and not just because the dog is back at home in the morning when Caleb is discovered missing, as Caleb could have had the dog with him at the time of the snap and then taken him back home after. Doorbell footage maybe?

So Caleb walked the dog at 2:44, sending a snap to his sister and took the dog back home. Then he went back out for some reason and sent a snap to his old high school friend. Why? What's the significance of that place? Is it somewhere he'd met that friend before? Does it mean something to them? Was he due to meet that person, or hoping to when they received the snap?
I also read that the reason the roommates were concerned right away is because they woke up and saw the Uber eats order still sitting at the front door.

That bridge picture being sent to a high school friend has me stumped, too.

It seems to me a driver (impaired or not) would have a better chance of getting away with a hit-and-run than if they stopped, realized someone was hurt, loaded the injured or deceased person into their own car, picked up evidence, drove to a second location to dispose of a body, and destroyed any remaining evidece. Doesn't that just create more opportunities to be seen by witnesses, caught on video, tracked by phone pings, etc.?

I wonder if, while waiting for his food delivery, he heard something - a fight, crying, etc. and went to see if he could help. It could explain why he walked away from his apartment without keys, wallet and (possibly) shoes.

This is throwing me off... So Caleb sent a screenshot at 3:03am, not a live photo. Hmm. Can anyone make out the avatar or screen name in the top left corner of the photo?
Maybe Caleb was showing his friend what someone else had sent to him. Why?
No, the person he sent the Snap to took the screenshot. It's kind of confusing!

OK - I have a theory. Not sure if it has been been brought up yet. I believe that Caleb voluntarily got into a car. I believe he was out there waiting for UE or maybe even waiting for the person to pick him up. We do not have his phone, so we do not really know who he may have been communicating with just prior as many apps don't have retrievable data. (I assume the phone company can find out if Caleb's phone sent a text.)

Now hear me out and this isn't meant to disparage CH in any way. I have a couple of thoughts. Perhaps he arranged with someone to drop off some weed. He took the photo to let the person know where to meet him. Maybe he got into the car because he had no shoes on, it was dark and foggy, etc... Maybe they decided to drive around or go somewhere to smoke. Maybe he just got in the car to charge his phone. Then maybe something happened from there, like an argument over money, etc... Or I have heard of stories from my kids about pot or other drugs being laced with fentanyl and the person dies. Maybe the dealer, or friend, freaked out and decided it was best to cover it up because they would be charged with homicide.

My curiosity is that he was outside of the view of the apartment, so perhaps he didn't want anyone to know he was meeting this person. Again, maybe a drug deal. Maybe a secret lover? Maybe he was meeting a girl he didn't want anyone to know about or maybe even a guy? I have not heard anything about a girlfriend, so maybe he was into guys. Lots of college guys use hook up apps like Grindr on the downlow. (Still don't understand the no shoes thing.)

I don't believe he was hit by a car (no evidence and not witnesses) and if you look around the area, you can easily see there would be absolutely no reason he would wander off with no shoes on. I think it was a very quick pickup - car pulls up, he gets in, gone.

No I understand that, but the image inside the blue speech bubble is a screenshot that's been sent, not a live photo
The way I look at that photo is this:

Caleb's friend (the receiver of the bridge photo) that received the Snap took a screenshot (that's why we see their battery life) and sent it to whoever requested it (LE, the parents, etc.).

I deleted my Snapchat like 5 years ago, so I could be wrong though.

Was there someone that has a similar name to the old high school friend that he meant to send that to and just sent it to the wrong contact?

MOO.
I see your point and it may very well be that he was abducted, but I can't seem to find a convincing reason that fits for Caleb to have been snatched off the street. He had no valuables on him except for his phone, but an abduction/possible homicide over a phone is just too farfetched for me right now. The phone would have pinged at some point even if the abductor/s sold the phone.
I'm still holding out hope he had preplanned leaving town with a friend, but how would he have any way of supporting himself financially or even apply for a job with no driver's license or bank information!

The way I look at that photo is this:

Caleb's friend (the receiver of the bridge photo) that received the Snap took a screenshot (that's why we see their battery life) and sent it to whoever requested it (LE, the parents, etc.).

I deleted my Snapchat like 5 years ago, so I could be wrong though.
But why would it say Caleb 3:03am in the top left corner? That to me feels like it's because it came from Caleb at that time

My curiosity is that he was outside of the view of the apartment, so perhaps he didn't want anyone to know he was meeting this person. Again, maybe a drug deal. Maybe a secret lover? Maybe he was meeting a girl he didn't want anyone to know about or maybe even a guy? I have not heard anything about a girlfriend, so maybe he was into guys. Lots of college guys use hook up apps like Grindr on the downlow. (Still don't understand the no shoes thing.)
Regarding a girlfriend - on the Nancy Grace video, Caleb's Dad mentions he's had a couple of girlfriends, nothing super serious just typical college-age relationships. No mention of boyfriends but that doesn't discount it in any way

I see your point and it may very well be that he was abducted, but I can't seem to find a convincing reason that fits for Caleb to have been snatched off the street. He had no valuables on him except for his phone, but an abduction/possible homicide over a phone is just too farfetched for me right now. The phone would have pinged at some point even if the abductor/s sold the phone.
I'm still holding out hope he had preplanned leaving town with a friend, but how would he have any way of supporting himself financially or even apply for a job with no driver's license or bank information!
Information is also valuable. Maybe he saw something or knew something someone did'nt want to get out.

OK - I have a theory. Not sure if it has been been brought up yet. I believe that Caleb voluntarily got into a car. I believe he was out there waiting for UE or maybe even waiting for the person to pick him up. We do not have his phone, so we do not really know who he may have been communicating with just prior as many apps don't have retrievable data. (I assume the phone company can find out if Caleb's phone sent a text.)

Now hear me out and this isn't meant to disparage CH in any way. I have a couple of thoughts. Perhaps he arranged with someone to drop off some weed. He took the photo to let the person know where to meet him. Maybe he got into the car because he had no shoes on, it was dark and foggy, etc... Maybe they decided to drive around or go somewhere to smoke. Maybe he just got in the car to charge his phone. Then maybe something happened from there, like an argument over money, etc... Or I have heard of stories from my kids about pot or other drugs being laced with fentanyl and the person dies. Maybe the dealer, or friend, freaked out and decided it was best to cover it up because they would be charged with homicide.

I don't believe he was hit by a car (no evidence and not witnesses) and if you look around the area, you can easily see there would be absolutely no reason he would wander off with no shoes on. I think it was a very quick pickup - car pulls up, he gets in, gone.

My thought has always involved the idea he got into a car with someone he knew. Making some sort of 2 minute "transaction" is possible. It doesn't seem Caleb thought he was going for a long drive or maybe he just thought they'd sit in the parking lot for a minute. College-age sons and daughters are rarely as pure as the driven snow and they can hide LOADS of stuff from family. A hookup was my first thought but, for some reason (I'm not sure why)... I don't think that's the case, here. I could be completely wrong, though.

since he sent a snapchat to his sister not long before the bridge one, is is possible the app was still open in his phone and it was purely accidental? i have tons of pictures of ceilings and ground on my camera roll all by accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea