TX - Crystal Seratte McDowell, 38, Baytown, 25 Aug 2017 #4

Wednesday, June 5th:
*Trial Begins (@ 9am CT) - TX - Crystal Ann Seratte McDowell (37) (Sept. 2, 2017, Baytown) - *Steven Wayne McDowell (44) (ex) arrested (9/9/17), charged (9/12/17) & arraigned (4/25/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. Bond set at $500,000. Confessed & told LE where body is.
Trial started 6/5/19. Moved from Chambers County to Galveston County.
6/3/19 Day 1: Motions filed & subpoenas. Jury selection continues to 6/4.
6/4/19 Day 2: Jury selection is complete. Trial will start with opening statement on 6/5.

Thursday, June 6th:
*Trial Continues (Day 2 of trial) (@ 9am CT) - TX - Crystal Ann Seratte McDowell (37) (Sept. 2, 2017, Baytown) - *Steven Wayne McDowell (44) (ex) arrested (9/9/17), charged (9/12/17) & arraigned (4/25/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. Bond set at $500,000.
Confessed & told LE where body is.
Trial starts 6/3/19. Moved from Chambers County to Galveston County.
6/4/19 Day 2: Jury selection is complete. Trial continues to 6/5.
6/5/19 Day 1 of Trial: No info yet. Trial continues to 6/6.

DA: Mother strangled in front of child, 5

Opening arguments have begun in the murder trial of 46-year-old Steven McDowell, who has confessed to strangling his ex-wife, local realtor Crystal McDowell, on the same day Hurricane Harvey blew along the Gulf Coast.

Because of the heavy publicity connected with the case, the trial is being held in the Constitutional Courtroom of the Galveston County Justice Center. Judge Chap B. Cain III of the 253rd District Court in Chambers County is presiding.

Rest of article is behind a paywall: DA: Mother strangled in front of child, 5

Friday, June 7th:
*Trial Continues (Day 2 of trial) (@ 9am CT) - TX - Crystal Ann Seratte McDowell (37) (Sept. 2, 2017, Baytown) - *Steven Wayne McDowell (44) (ex) arrested (9/9/17), charged (9/12/17) & arraigned (4/25/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. Bond set at $500,000.
Trial started on 6/5/19. Moved from Chambers County to Galveston County.

6/5/19 Day 1 of Trial: Opening statements. No other info available. Trial continues to 6/6.
6/6/19 Day 2: No info yet. Trial continues to 6/7.

‘She said I am ready to tell my secret’

Motive, a volatile history and a child’s recollection of painful memories resulted in a stunning second day during the trial of Steven McDowell, who is accused of murdering of his ex-wife, Crystal.

Chambers County District Attorney Cheryl Lieck called Mandy Avalos, an aerospace worker currently living in Las Vegas, to the stand. Avalos said she had been a friend with Crystal McDowell’s since she was 16. Avalos has custody of the McDowell’s son and daughter at the wish of Crystal.

Paywall site :rolleyes: : ‘She said I am ready to tell my secret’

‘She said I am ready to tell my secret’

Motive, a volatile history and a child’s recollection of painful memories resulted in a stunning second day during the trial of Steven McDowell, who is accused of murdering of his ex-wife, Crystal.

Chambers County District Attorney Cheryl Lieck called Mandy Avalos, an aerospace worker currently living in Las Vegas, to the stand. Avalos said she had been a friend with Crystal McDowell’s since she was 16. Avalos has custody of the McDowell’s son and daughter at the wish of Crystal.

Paywall site :rolleyes: : ‘She said I am ready to tell my secret’
Avalos said the daughter told her she woke up that morning, Aug. 25, 2017, and heard her mom and dad arguing. She went through a bathroom to their bedroom.

“She said Crystal said something to Steven and he pushed her on the bed and placed his hands over her nose and mouth,” Avalos said. “She said she was standing next to the bed and Steven kept doing what he was doing to Crystal and that Crystal also looked at her. When she stopped breathing, that is when she said Steven stopped.”

Avalos said the girl was told by Steven McDowell to go upstairs and not to tell anyone. Avalos relayed the conversation to the Chambers County Sheriff’s Office. The daughter is currently receiving counseling.

Upon cross-examination by Steven McDowell’s attorney, Keaton Kirkwood, Avalos said the children continued to talk to their father after their mother’s murder.

Avalos also said a Las Vegas counselor named Joan Black said the daughter made an outcry to her about what she saw that day. The daughter drew a picture of what happened, and Black was concerned.
Cherry said the daughter “popped” out of the pantry while they were in the kitchen. When asked if she had seen her mother, the child shook both adults to the core.

“She said, ‘Yes, last night,’” Cherry said. “She shook a black dress in a closet and said, ‘evil spirits took her.’”
“But she said part of the agreement was he could not have any ‘crazy talk,’ threats of hurting himself, her or the kids,” Cherry said. “If he did, she would break her end of the bargain. But by the end of the week, she had taken Steven off and added Paul (Hargrave, her boyfriend at the time).” [Hraefn note: this paragraph is about the cruise]
Charles Raven of Cove testified he knew Steven McDowell when they worked at Exel Logistics, a shipping and distribution company in Cedar Crossing. He said around Spring Break of 2017, Steven McDowell called his wife and said he and his kids were heading to Galveston and wanted to hook up. After arriving at their hotel, Raven said they talked about their kids and go-carts. But then, Raven said Steven McDowell said he was upset over his wife.

“He said he was upset over her seeing other men,” Raven said. He didn’t say they were divorced, just that she had several boyfriends. He said he had thoughts about killing her and then himself.”
Thursday’s testimony included a jailhouse confession. A Chambers County inmate, Easton Isaacks, testified that Steven McDowell told him how he killed Crystal McDowell.

“He said he killed her because he found a text message from a man on her phone and thought she was cheating on him,” Isaacks said. “He said he used zip ties to tie her hands after she was dead.”

Dr. Paula Brumit, a forensic odontology consultant, testified that the remains found in the wooded area off of Needlepoint Road matched the dental records of Crystal McDowell, who had just had her teeth cleaned a couple of days before she was killed. As the graphic photos were shown in court, Steven McDowell never looked up, keeping his head bowed the entire time.

It was hard to snip paragraphs from this article as it was all pretty new information from the trial. I recommend outline.com to get around the paywall for those who want to read the entire text.

Monday, June 10th:
*Trial Continues (Day 4) (@ 9am CT) - TX - Crystal Ann Seratte McDowell (37) (Sept. 2, 2017, Baytown) - *Steven Wayne McDowell (44) (ex) arrested (9/9/17), charged (9/12/17) & arraigned (4/25/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. Bond set at $500,000.
Trial starts 6/3/19. Moved from Chambers County to Galveston County.

6/5/19 Day 1 of Trial: Opening statements. No other info available. Trial continues to 6/6.
6/6/19 Day 2: Mandy Avalos (friend of Crystal's. Avalos has custody of the McDowell’s son and daughter at the wish of Crystal). Charles Raven (worked with Steven). Easton Isaacks (cellmate of Steven's). Dr. Paula Brumit (forensic odontology consultant). Trial continues to 6/7.
6/7/19 Day 3: No info yet. Trial continues on 6/10.

Crystal McDowell disappears hours before Hurricane Harvey lands

Jun 3, 2019

DIk-zqQXgAIf7Bv.jpg

No update on what is going in trial? If it's in that video, not working for me. TIA! :)

No update on what is going in trial? If it's in that video, not working for me. TIA! :)

The video was the same one released last year and had no trial updates. I watched the whole thing hoping it would have new info somewhere near the end. It even reported incorrectly that the children saw nothing-- which was thought to be the case last year but is contradicted by the trial testimony. Very disappointing they uploaded this as if it was new on Jun 3, 2019. Crime Watch Daily was changed to "True Crime Daily" sometime in the past year and it has not been as reliable of source of info ever since the program changed names. All that to say, you are not missing much dear Niner. MOO.

Child’s testimony fills courtroom with tears

Jun 9, 2019

GALVESTON — It was another emotion-packed day during the ongoing trial of Steven McDowell, who is charged with strangling his ex-wife, Crystal, in 2017, as video testimony of the couple’s young daughter was shown to the jury.

Sobs could be heard throughout the courtroom as the little girl described watching the murder of her mother when she was 5 years old.

The girl was asked by Chambers County District Attorney Cheryl Lieck if she wrote the words she wrote on one of the drawings, which said, “Why did you get mad and kill mom and make her not breathe?”

The girl said she did and gave the drawing to her “mom,” which is what she calls Mandy Avalos, a longtime friend of Crystal McDowell’s who has custody of the two children.

When asked why, the girl replied it was to “show her what he did.” Lieck asked her who she meant, and the girl said, “Dad.”

Lieck asked the girl if she saw what happened to her mother, and she said, “Yes.”

Describing the scene in her 7-year-old voice, the girl said she was in the bathroom and saw him.

“They were arguing about mom divorcing with him. They were already divorced, but dad was arguing because he didn’t want her to be with another man,” the then-5-year-old girl said. “She said, ‘I am going to go away and take my children with me.’ So, he pushed her on the bed and said, ‘No, you’re not.’”

The girl told how she saw Steven McDowell take his hands and slam them on Crystal McDowell’s face hard. The girl said Crystal McDowell tried to put her hands and feet up, but Steven McDowell put his weight on her. At one point, she said her father looked at her.

So I don't violate copyright by copying the whole thing here is my summary of the rest of the article:

After the daughter's video testimony they played video testimony from the son who is now ten years old. He didn't see anything that night but his sister told him what happened before she told the adults. She was scared to tell at first what she saw.

After that video testimony the State rested. The defense gave an opening statement to the jury and then called the following witnesses:

Tamara Shipley (A former neighbor)- She said the SM was a “sweet” guy and she never saw him hurt his children.

Mary Louise Johnston (SM's mom), Heather Ann Simpson (SM's Sister) and Erika Prigmore (SM's Sister). Mom and Sisters all said SM was great with the children and got along well with Crystal.

Krysta McDowell (SM's oldest daughter from a previous marriage)- she said SM was a “good man” who was “goofy” and “kept life entertaining.” The defense brought up the March 2017 incident to Krysta McDowell where Crystal McDowell had called Baytown police saying her husband had taken off with the kids after making threats. The police had followed Steven McDowell’s cell phone pings, one of them to Round Rock where Krysta McDowell allegedly lived.

Chambers County Sheriff Brian Hawthorne-- Said SM was “calm and likeable” but also “set in his ways.” Testified that SM has been helping some illiterate inmates to learn how to read. SM also complained about the cleanliness of the jail. From the article: "Hawthorne said he also believed Steven McDowell killed his ex-wife so no one else could love her."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back