ú

TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Kcookok, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Curiousobserver

Curiousobserver Well-Known Member

This could have been as simple as an irate neighbor who became enraged that she hung up a sign on a pole near her house or put one on her truck's windshield. Some people go crazy over the slightest perceived slight.

It would seem that the perp has no easily identified relationship to the victim. The video clearly shows the perp showing or handing something to Liz, I wonder if it was one of her garage sale signs signs.

SAMS, windrower, LadyL and 4 others like this.
  2. Piney Woods

Piney Woods Well-Known Member

Your observation made me think another possible scenario could be someone in the neighborhood unhappy about the garage sale itself. Though I still think this is some kind of personal beef. Disappointed there's been no movement on the case that's been publicized.

Hazelnutty, LadyL, Betty P and 8 others like this.
  3. reasonableguess

reasonableguess Well-Known Member

Really thought there’d be an arrest by now...

4. Mysti88c

Mysti88c Well-Known Member

Me too! I was thinking about Dan Markel, also shot in his driveway. Shot in 2014 and still no one arrested for ordering the hit (hit men arrested) even though someone had a very strong motive. This one just seemed so sloppy and personal.

5. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

Yes, the dressing up in a disguise/costume sort of takes it to the next level. Also, color me surprised there's nothing new on this terrible murder.

6. Gunslinging Granny

Gunslinging Granny Well-Known Member

The huge Star Wars Celebration event is in Chicago this weekend. I hope LE is there and watching.

7. Mickey Mouse

Mickey Mouse Well-Known Member

8. btfly547

btfly547 Well-Known Member

I still can't get over how this may be the perfect crime. Hopefully the detectives are just keeping it close what they do know.

Something I've thought about. I wonder did neighbors hear gunshots then call 911? Not that it matters, I just wonder how long after the shots was 911 called. Wondering if a neighbor happened to see anyone speeding off. I would think at around 7 am on a school day that a majority of households would be awake and people moving around. Maybe even kids walking or out for a bus stop.

I would have thought by now that the vehicle could have possibly been traced by cameras coming and going far away from the neighborhood.

I keep going back to this has to be someone extremely close to either herself or her spouse or both of them.

Very strange crime and hopefully it will be solved soon.

9. Gunslinging Granny

In a crime show I watched, the killer took his car to another state and set it on fire. Then he had it hauled off to a junk yard and crushed. Months later detectives got lucky, found the crushed remains, and one part with the VIN number. Liz's killer can be linked to this truck if enough manpower is applied. I hope Liz's parents become a very squeaky wheel.

10. PayrollNerd

PayrollNerd Well-Known Member

That $20,000 reward is a hefty chunk of change. Hoping someone will talk.

Alcina, Hazelnutty, kimpage and 4 others like this.
  11. scruffydog

scruffydog Active Member

For me, the most important part of the story was that the husband left for work 10 minutes before the shooting... conveniently not at home.

Alcina, Elisaa444, ShHolmz and 12 others like this.
  12. btfly547

I do think that part is important, but it could possibly be explained away. Someone knew his schedule definitely. Even more crucial is that it seems someone knew her schedule as well. That was probably a normal work day for her. Unless she doesn't normally leave home until 7:30 or so, then very few people would have known her schedule for that day and that she would be home.

In other words, someone had to know both of their schedules. I don't think whoever did it had to know about the garage sale though. The person could have been known to both Liz and her husband, rang the doorbell and shot Liz when she opened the door.

13. Ajs1004

Ajs1004 Well-Known Member

The ringing of a doorbell and shooting someone is unlikely to happen nowadays. They did have a ring doorbell which has video feed. A lot of people have that now. I wasn’t even aware until this case that the doorbell could pick something up from afar like this. I thought it was only close up.

realanastasia likes this.
  14. Gunslinging Granny

This vicious killer hid in his or her truck around the block waiting for Sergio to drive off to work. Someone angry to the point of homicide about a yard sign would be unlikely to hide in his or her truck for numerous minutes. An unstable person who would shoot a woman 4 times in the head over a yard sign would likely act impulsively and immediately, imo. This person would also have a lot of other behavior issues. If he or she existed, frightened neighbors would have ratted out this crazy person by now.

15. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

The problem with the yard sign rage-out theory is that the signs hadn't been out that long, right? How would someone have the time to see her put the signs out, get angry, go put on a costume and wig, get in their truck, drive to her house, wait for the husband to leave, then kill her.

JMO, this was planned in advance and was personal.

16. btfly547

I do think it's less likely to happen, but still happens a lot. Jayme Closs (no video doorbell but still used the front door) and the crossbow guy in Canada (home camera with a good view but still no suspects). I hope with cameras becoming more commonplace that these kinds of situations happen less and less.

I think if Jayme Closs had a video doorbell, that guy would have just gone through a back door. Possibly the same with Liz as well but who knows. The crossbow guy appeared to have a disguise and IMO had to have known there was a camera there just because of how very personal that attack was. Same with Liz IMO, this was someone who had been to her house at least once and probably inside as well and definitely knew about the video doorbell that was there.

The video doorbells are definitely a deterrent no doubt.

Pipsissiway_Potts likes this.
  17. Gunslinging Granny

Video doorbells can be set to record movement at different lengths. I have a cheaper Ring Doorbell and can set mine for 15 or 30 feet.

Ring Doorbell owners in the same vicinity (a few miles) can communicate with each and share videos. Other owners comment under neighbors' videos.

18. flute4peace

flute4peace Well-Known Member

Sorry, duplicate post. Peanut butter cookies & lemonade for all!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  19. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

Within the last year, we had two male friends whose wives died. A month after the funeral both had found a girlfriend on a dating site. And remarried within six months. I guess it depends on the individual.

GarAndTeed, Vedder, kimpage and 2 others like this.
  20. windrower

windrower Well-Known Member

snipped by me

If this is accurate, maybe something happened while Liz was putting up the garage sale signs? A road rage type of thing?

Although, that would lean more toward someone from her neighborhood perhaps, and in that case, I think the truck would have been located.

I hope LE were able to get lots of video from the area, and are still working on tracking the movements of that truck.

21. Cryptic

Cryptic Well-Known Member

Though possible , I don't think this is very likely.

My guess is that most perpetrators in targeted "issue" type killings go through a build up. For example repeatedly confronting people about garage sales and ordinances, seen taking down signs, repeatedly calling the city about garage sales and real or imaged ordinance violations etc. This things do not seem to have occurred.

Likewise, issue killings might also focus on what the perpetrator feels is an egregious violation of his / her "issue". For example, victim was known to run garage sales constantly and was in effect, running a week end thrift shop from their garage. The victim does not appear to have done this.