TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Kcookok, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Synergizer Bunny

Synergizer Bunny Well-Known Member

My mother recently passed away in another state, with no viewing or any ceremony. I asked my brother and his girlfriend if there was anything that I could do as they were going to meet with the funeral director. The girlfriend said that I could write an obituary to give to the funeral director. This was less than 30 minutes before their meeting!

I actually did write a tribute, much to their surprise and delight. I have always been able to put thoughts into words in quick order. That being said, Elizabeth's family was surely caught off guard and may not have had anyone who could quickly pen the words for an obituary. I feel certain that her entire family was extremely distraught and probably couldn't think straight.

I sure hope that the police are working diligently on this case to solve it. I just don't feel that this is a random murder. JMO.

2. Synergizer Bunny

Synergizer Bunny Well-Known Member

I find this really strange, too.

3. Vedder

Vedder John 3:16

4. Gunslinging Granny

Gunslinging Granny Well-Known Member

The Star Wars groups, specifically the 501st and South Texas Squad, to which Liz belonged aren't continuing to post her reward poster or any information. She was only viciously murdered 2 months ago. It's not like she's been dead for years.

I visited their FB sites and had to search for information about her vicious murder. It was shocking that these specific groups aren't repeatedly posting her reward poster or asking for tips to solve the crime. She had been member for years! It makes me wonder about who is in control of those sites.

5. HTXfuerte

HTXfuerte Active Member

It actually is very true. CrimeStoppers rewards are "up to" $5,000. Donations can be made to raise the reward amount. Here's a link to how it works: How It Works | Crimestoppers GNO

6. BINGOdinoDNA

BINGOdinoDNA Active Member

Thank you for your condolences. I actually tried to join last year after hearing about it on a podacst, but could never sign on and then tried again and was accepted immediately. It could have been operator error on my part. I am tech challenged, which is probably why I don't know what an insider is or what the benefit would be. I'm not sure I could handle it after reading some of these comments, but I am trying to keep an open mind and not take it personally. Liz's murder has definitely given me a new perspective on what victims' families and loved ones go through. I am forever changed.

7. Gunslinging Granny

Did Liz have children or stepchildren? (I'm not asking for their names.)

bluenoser likes this.
  8. Ajs1004

Ajs1004 Well-Known Member

Has LE asked the family to keep quiet on this? I am asking because no one ever posts about this! It seems like total strangers here on Websleuths post more about her than her own family and friends.

9. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

10. MimosaMornings

@Synergizer Bunny, so sorry to hear about your mother passing away. Mine live in another state also and I will be the one dealing with that when the time comes.

11. MsArk

MsArk Well-Known Member

This has shades of Dan Markel all over it. Hoping for justic soon.

8paws, bluenoser, BrownRice and 4 others like this.
  12. Vedder

Vedder John 3:16

RSBM
    My friend's husband is missing and it really gives a different perspective to the questions and comments - not just on WS, but on other forums as well. One in particular that I see in many cases is "why isn't the family doing anything?" and to be honest, we have NO IDEA what the families are doing or not doing in the background as it isn't reported in MSM.

13. diggndeeperstill

diggndeeperstill Well-Known Member

I don’t find it odd at all.. I’ve mentioned this before. It was before 7 am. Who leaves for work that early? Did the killer really know there was a yard sale or was it a “lucky” coincidence? Maybe the killer planned to go to the door?

14. Gunslinging Granny

Who leaves that early? Have you ever driven around the Houston area? The traffic is horrible. It's the 3rd largest city in the USA. Liz's office wasn't in Tomball.

The yard sale was not advertised in advance. Liz put up the signs that morning.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Kapua, 8paws, sunsetbeach and 4 others like this.
  15. cluciano63

cluciano63 Well-Known Member

No kidding. My niece lives on the very same block as this murder, she works twelve miles away and has to allow an hour.

16. Gunslinging Granny

I think Liz's office was 25+ miles away traveling towards the city of Houston. With morning commute traffic, she had to leave at least an hour early.

17. Axiom88

Axiom88 Active Member

Its extremely common in houston for oil/gas/pipeline jobs to be 9 hour days with every other Friday off. If she was in this industry then the killer searched for a linked in or something and they could assume a 50/50 chance that's her Friday off.

Since the truck cased the neighborhood or otherwise drove around there before Sergio left for work (per daily mails reporting) then they would be able to know if he was at home or not.

I think it is more likely than one would think.

bluenoser likes this.
  18. BINGOdinoDNA

BINGOdinoDNA Active Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's husband! It's definitely a lot harder when you are directly related to a case. Sending all of the positive thoughts that he is found safe!

And you are so right! I see people asking why her family and friends are "quiet" and they have been doing everything they know to do. I'm not sure if LE has asked anything of her family, but I am sure there are certain details about the case LE would like to keep close, which is normal in an investigation. We definitely all want answers and justice for Liz!

19. MimosaMornings

JMO - working as a data analyst at a company (example Rosen) - would probably be 8-5 Monday to Friday in the office.

If she was in the field verifying data or overseeing a pigging project, her hours would most likely be longer and involve travel.

20. MimosaMornings

Glassdoor review snippet

Attached Files:

GarAndTeed, LadyL, byo and 2 others like this.