GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone see NG tonight. Evidently some 13 year old kid is being charged with murder for taking her moms car, crashing into a tree and killing a twelve year old passenger. If I heard it right.

Thanks Lambie, would they make him serve time first and then go to rehab or would they make him serve time instead of rehab?

I was wondering the same thing. I would hope it would be both. They are separate charges so one should not cover the other I would hope.

“During his recent trial, the 16-year-old admitted his guilt in four cases of intoxication manslaughter and two cases of intoxication assault,” Shannon said in an e-mail to the newspaper.

“There has been no verdict formally entered in the two intoxication assault cases. Every case deserves a verdict.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...n-behind-bars-article-1.1551365#ixzz2nvcrSItX

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-affluenza-teen-behind-bars-article-1.1551365

Since it goes before the same judge, I don't see how she could justify giving him time in jail for assault when she gave him probation for manslaughters.
So I don't think this is going anywhere.

He never thought he would go to jail. Now he may.. And if he gets the max 6 years. That will feel like a lot to a teenager.

Since it goes before the same judge, I don't see how she could justify giving him time in jail for assault when she gave him probation for manslaughters.
So I don't think this is going anywhere.

I don't know. Did she dismiss the other charges or are they still pending?

The charges stem from the same incident. The assault charges are for the 2 people riding in the back of the truck that were injured.

I would think, depending on how the Judge wrote up the initial sentencing decision, that the Judge thinks all charges were resolved. Obviously, the prosecutors don't think so..... so there may be some wiggle room based on the Judge's original sentencing decision.

Interesting.

I think this whole rehab v. punishment debate is very interesting but I have to say that a 16 year old KNEW it was illegal to drink, do drugs, and drive. So whether or not mommy and daddy taught him anything - he knew it was wrong. So... for me, the debate is really about "should the Court step in and teach the child what his parents failed to teach him?" And my answer is YES!

Salem

The charges stem from the same incident. The assault charges are for the 2 people riding in the back of the truck that were injured.

I would think, depending on how the Judge wrote up the initial sentencing decision, that the Judge thinks all charges were resolved. Obviously, the prosecutors don't think so..... so there may be some wiggle room based on the Judge's original sentencing decision.

Interesting.

I think this whole rehab v. punishment debate is very interesting but I have to say that a 16 year old KNEW it was illegal to drink, do drugs, and drive. So whether or not mommy and daddy taught him anything - he knew it was wrong. So... for me, the debate is really about "should the Court step in and teach the child what his parents failed to teach him?" And my answer is YES!

Salem

Would this qualify as a "three strikes" rule? And would the charges of him stealing beer from Walmart fall under this crime. Seems to me the stealing came way before the driving so couldn't that be separate?

Interesting.

Salem

Isn't that the sad part. More and more parents don't say no. Kids don't know how to accept no. Learning NO is the difference in raising a good member of society and raising another inmate.

I'm not sure, LambChop - we would need to see the charging documents and I'd have to take a look at how Texas does their 3 strikes law. I thought 3 strikes was just in California.

If the stealing beer was a separate incident and not charged/tried during this particular trial - it would be a separate offense and he could be prosecuted for it. If it was one of the charges for this case - then he has been prosecuted for it, kwim? Generally - they include all the charges they can when they are going to trial.

I don't know if the docs are available for this trial. He was tried as a juvenile, right? So I don't know what is public info. Hmmmm...................

Salem

It is sad. And our justice system should NOT perpetuate the problem.

Salem

Isn't that the sad part. More and more parents don't say no. Kids don't know how to accept no. Learning NO is the difference in raising a good member of society and raising another inmate.

I just hope some big-time, big-mouth, media loving attorneys, like say Gloria Allred,or that [modsnip] who is Chris Brown's lawyer, step in and take these 5 families cases, stay in the media, screaming about what happened, and takes every dime this [modsnip] family has! If I was an attorney, this is the type of case I would want. Forget the money, do it for what is right. But this family has enough for the lawyers to make some too.

Also, how is it possible, when everybody in the country is so upset over this verdict, this low-life judge can't be removed from the bench. She is a judge, not God. Remove her. Sue her. Her peers should be calling her out. She is not fit to serve. If verdicts like this are allowed to stand, us poor folks don't stand a chance.

I just hope some big-time, big-mouth, media loving attorneys, like say Gloria Allred,or that [modsnip] who is Chris Brown's lawyer, step in and take these 5 families cases, stay in the media, screaming about what happened, and takes every dime this [modsnip] family has! If I was an attorney, this is the type of case I would want. Forget the money, do it for what is right. But this family has enough for the lawyers to make some too.

Also, how is it possible, when everybody in the country is so upset over this verdict, this low-life judge can't be removed from the bench. She is a judge, not God. Remove her. Sue her. Her peers should be calling her out. She is not fit to serve. If verdicts like this are allowed to stand, us poor folks don't stand a chance.

Unfortunately she was following the law for juveniles.

My understanding is that this judge is elected. I thought I read somewhere that there was a [modsnip] (I don't want to start any rumors :eek:. Let me see if I can find a link. I have to grab my sandwich first - LOL!

Salem

Well this article says she retires in Dec. 2014: http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dalla...ouch-verdict-still-runs-hot-but-at-whom.html/

"Boyd, ironically, will never face voters again after announcing her retirement. Her term ends in December 2014. You may wonder if a re-election campaign on the heels of this decision might have affected her position, but you should know that Tarrant County prosecutors already worried about her."

Here, the Texas Nationalists are calling for her to step down: http://texnat.org/index.php/news/tnm-news/2015-texas-nationalists-call-on-judge-to-step-down

And this is just on the Judge's thinking, which is interesting: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...r-teen-who-killed-4-heres-the-judges-thinking

There are some really interesting comments following the article on the "Judge's thinking." My question is, why wasn't he tried as an adult to begin with? How did his attorneys keep this in juvenile court? He killed 4 people after stealing alcohol. In lots of jurisdictions, he would have been tried as an adult, I think.

Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member