GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? The texts occurred while she was on the clock. This was how she behaved on duty. It is totally relevant.

That is who she is.

Especially since they're bringing in her professionalism and years of dedicated service as an officer, as a mitigator. But no one is allowed to counter that with the racist stuff she was texting while on the actual damn job and the jokes about killing people?

Or to stop the perceived threat in front of her!

If she gets the minimum you will have 5 years to find her a place to live. Preferably in your neighborhood.... in a home identical to your own. You should probably get a gun too in case Amber gets tired and confused again you could at least have a chance to defend yourself when she busts into your house in the middle of the night.

It's almost like her posts reflect the character of LE. I.e, a massive percentage of law enforcement has domestic violence, violence, and drug issues. Almost like she's reflecting the character of the body she works for and their dysfunction and poor hiring practices. Hilarious how that works!

When your defense team tries to sully the character of the victim with marijuana, your marijuana is fair game.

You might be okay with this terrible behavior and accept it as fine. Personally, I feel that someone given the responsibility of LE should be held to higher standards than moral garbage. To each their own.

Bravo.

It is all allowed and admissible. It doesn't matter what you wouldn't like to hear.

Obviously so. But apart from the moving victim statements by Botham Jean's family, there was nothing presented today that would compel me to impose a significantly harsher sentence than the one I would already be inclined to give AG if I was on the jury, which would be somewhere between 10-20 years. And I strongly suspect that we're not going to hear anything germane from the defense tomorrow that would compel the jury to impose a significantly more lenient sentence either!

Glad she is facing punishment, but I don't see these texts as especially awful. Young people might make a joke like that about MLK parade trying to be cute. Other text indicated unfamiliarity with co-workers of another race/cultural background. So far, not damning, and relatable for many of us, though never smart to text it. It's just that many of us haven't also gunned someone down in his own apartment. So it all sounds really bad now.

The only young people who think that is "cute" are young people with a damaged moral compass.

31 is not "young."

Court is scheduled to resume at 9:30 Wednesday morning.
The judge is expected to provide guidance on sentencing law.

Dallas Police Association President Mike Mata declined to comment Tuesday afternoon, saying Guyger’s lawyers asked him to wait until after sentencing. The group, which represents city police officers, has paid for Guyger’s legal defense and security.

“This is a huge victory, not only for the family of Botham Jean, but this is a victory for black people in America. It’s a signal that the tide is going to change here. Police officers are going to be held accountable for their actions, and we believe that will begin to change policing culture around the world,” Merritt said.
Update: Amber Guyger sentencing proceedings to continue Wednesday

A charge itself isn't part of due process.
When the state uses a charge not supported by the evidence, the accused is forced to defend against an inappropriate charge.

In short, part of Due Process could be say, not having to defend oneself against inappropriate charges. Or, an accused person having an implied Constitutional guarantee that charges brought by the State will fit the circumstances of the crime.

As to whether the above is actually true or not, I have no idea. It is just a guess by me and is not even an informed opinion.

Last edited:
stop-2717058__180.png

STOP the race discussion folks. There were no facts presented in either the investigation or the trial to indicate race was at issue. It is a violation of TOS to discuss racial issues unless they are KNOWN to be germane to the case.

Thank you.

And that's "That" part of Texas/Texans that I can't stand...but hey, racism doesn't exist here in good 'ole Dallas Texas!!!!
That's it in a nut shell. Where is it written you have to like everybody?

Obviously so. But apart from the moving victim statements by Botham Jean's family, there was nothing presented today that would compel me to impose a significantly harsher sentence than the one I would already be inclined to give AG if I was on the jury, which would be somewhere between 10-20 years. And I strongly suspect that we're not going to hear anything germane from the defense tomorrow that would compel the jury to impose a significantly more lenient sentence either!
I also think it will be 10-20. Testimony resumes tomorrow AM at 9:30. We'll see.

The text messages, accepted as evidence over defence objections, include an exchange from Jan. 15, 2018, when she was working security during the Dallas Martin Luther King Jr. Day parade.

When asked when the parade would be over, she texted “When MLK is dead ... Oh, wait ...”

She groused that the parade could take up to three hours and suggested that parade participants could be pushed or pepper sprayed.

On Sept. 4, 2018, just days before Guyger shot Jean, she received a message suggesting that she would like a German shepherd that the messenger claimed was racist. She texted back that she hates “everything and everyone but y’all.”
Latest: Jurors see texts indicating ex-cop’s insensitivity | The Star

I'm sure that her family feels devastated right now, as well. That is always compelling, because it humanizes. I wouldn't count out how impactful that can be. However...unless something REALLY compelling happens, I tend to think the jury already has a good idea of what they will do. Botham's family was incredibly devastating to me, but they jury might have been completely expecting that. It might not have swung the pendulum to a harsher amount of time. I'd bet that the time she is served is not much different than what they were already thinking of. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member