TX - Hailey Dunn, 13, murdered, Scurry County, Dec 2010 *Arrest in 2021, released in 2023* #4

d7676827-c83b-4b46-a531-360d68685c4f-s2.jpg

Snipped: The trial is currently set for August 7th, 2023, but both the defense and state have asked the date to be moved to September 11th.

Thank you @Truth Prevails .

Well that wasn’t very informative. Was the delay related to the new evidence?
We didn't get much, did we? They didn't stream it which is a shame. I kept checking all day and then I hoped maybe they would upload it later, but of course they haven't.

It looks like one media article with slim details is all we are going to get. I think I can understand a month's delay to review new evidence--summer vacations and scheduling being taken into account. But the fact that there is "new" evidence so close to the trial date is kind of interesting.

What do you make of this quote from the link:

Snipped: The judge also discussed a possible pre-questionnaire to be sent to potential jurors.

IIRC, I have heard of it being done in other cases, but I don't know if it's a good idea in this case.

I really wish we could have heard the judge discussing it.

The case was transferred from Mitchell to Nolan County. It was also 13 years ago! Why do they need a pre-questionnaire? How does that even work? Mass mailing to Nolan County eligible jurors? Why not just wait and question them in jury selection?

This case is still messy, all these years later. I swear it’s one thing after another.

The case was transferred from Mitchell to Nolan County. It was also 13 years ago! Why do they need a pre-questionnaire? How does that even work? Mass mailing to Nolan County eligible jurors? Why not just wait and question them in jury selection?

This case is still messy, all these years later. I swear it’s one thing after another.
I think I may have misunderstood what a pre-questionnaire is. I googled but didn't see an explation of "pre" questionnaire, can someone help?

The state is asking for the date to be pushed back because of the case's timing. They referenced it being an old case, with many law enforcement agencies being involved with records, documents, interviews and reports over the years.

The state has also discovered and gathered lots of evidence. Most recently, they've discovered six file boxes of evidence in Mitchell County.

They're still going through those boxes at this time, but they do say most of it is evidence both the state and defense already has.

Recently, the state also discovered the Dunn family had hired a private investigator to do her own investigation on the case.

The state's attorney informed the judge that they met with the the private investigator and Hailey's father, Clint Dunn, last Thursday in Michigan. While there, they told the P.I. they'll need her reports so they can be shared as evidence and included in the trial.

The state and defense also have not made jury questionnaires yet. Jury questionnaires are the forms that potential jurors fill out to help with jury selection.

Judge Harrison made it clear in the hearing that all evidence needs to be gathered and jury questionnaire drafts need to be made by the time they meet again at the next pretrial meeting on July 7, 2023. At the next pretrial hearing, the judge will also make a decision on whether he will move the trial date or not.

No mention of a "pre-questionnaire" in this report. Be sure to watch the video at link.

COLORADO CITY, Texas — Clint Dunn has been mourning the loss of his daughter, Hailey Dunn, since 2010. But now he is using what happened to him to try and make a difference in the lives of others in the form of legislation.

"13 years later, 12.5 years later, and they're still finding evidence and they're still having to process things," said Dunn.

Hailey went missing in 2010, and almost 3 years later her body was found in a lake. Shawn Adkins, the boyfriend of Hailey's mother, was arrested and charged for her murder in 2021. Right now, he awaits trial.

"The attorney general's office said that they are still receiving data, and that's why they need the delay because they're still finding discovery materials," said Christine Salzer, founder of Moms on a Mission. "That's an issue."

Dunn is trying to pass a bill in memory of his daughter called "Hailey's Act," which focuses on police accountability.

Because, Texas +Texas Rangers + DNA + Capital Murder + DP or LWOP ?

I am pretty certain I would have made the same decision if it were my daughter.

Am I missing something?
Pretty sure she is asking why Shawn didn't take the plea deal instead of risking going to trial :)

He's charged with Murder and Tampering with Evidence and is being held in the Mitchell County Jail on bonds totaling $2 millon. What's the least/most he could get on those charges if found guilty? Where's the charging document?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back