TX - James, 48 & Michelle Butler, 46, driving RV to Fort Lauderdale from Corpus Christi, 14 Oct 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remains found at local beach belong to missing couple
On October 27, a Kleberg County Deputy found human remains in the area of Beach Marker 263. An autopsy was completed by the Nueces Medical Examiner and confirmed they were the Butler's. The cause of death is being ruled as homicide.
I'm so sorry to read this. I was hoping against hope they would be found safe somewhere. It seemed it would take a miracle for it not to be them, such an obvious location and timing. This makes me incredibly sad..and oh so angry. I really want the horrible person (people) who did this to be caught and punished. So unnecessary cruelty and lack of conscience.

RIP Michelle and James. Hope the family can eventually find some peace as well.

I think they always knew. Mrs. Butler has crossed front teeth. I have an unusual bite that is noticeable in photos. No one would need records to ID me provided I still had my jaws. I am terribly sorry for them and their families.

Timeline from family?admin of FB page:

Finding Michelle & James Butler

Answers would be great. What we do know:

Set up camper on 10/15/19.

Last sent me (Barb) a text on 10/16/19.

Was supposed to facetime their grandaughter on 10/17/19. Didnt happen.

Last time camper was seen on beach. (No truck).

Truck & camper was last seen crossing over bridge to Mexico in the middle of the night into the 21st.

I'm so afraid that they did cross into Mexico, which would probably make it difficult to pursue/locate them. I hope I'm wrong.

I was thinking similarly. However if they are American citizens, even having crossed over into Mexico I think there is a good chance of them being apprehended. If they are Mexican citizens, the chance of them being found and extradited is nearly zero.

It's always upsetting to find a "found deceased" on the website. But the story behind this one is truly heartbreaking. To imagine a couple living out their dreams of seeing our great country and then having their lives cut short by violence and whatever selfish desires caused someone to kill them is truly abhorrent. On top of everything, we're talking about a military family that served our country. I hope for peace for the family and justice, too.

Hi everyone. I haven't been on WS in a very long time, but this story brought me back here. I'm from the same part of NH they were from (I live in GA now) and went to high school with James's younger sister. I've been following the story on Facebook through local friends and family up there. I was so hoping for a happy outcome to this, and am so sad to hear everyone's worst fears have been confirmed. I hope that they are able to solve this quickly and that justice is served swiftly and firmly.

*modsnip *

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhat answering my own question about crossing the border with a vehicle - it seems you need a Temporary Car Import permit, which requires proof of ID, citizenship, and ownership of the vehicle.

I think it would be pretty hard to just waltz across the border with a stolen truck and RV.

Though your statement about the required paperwork under certain conditions is very accurate, it needs a quantifier:

In theory, if you go beyond the 16 or so mile "border zone", or stay in the border zone longer than just a couple days....

I used to visit a safer Mexico frequently. At that time, requirements for the paperwork were laxly enforced at sporadically set up police / military check points. I was never asked for the papers, even when the check points were manned. But, other people that I knew did describe being asked for them on occasion in other Mexican states.

I don't know if things have changed now. In the end, however, enforcement could depend on the specific area, the policies of the local military / police commander and what "vibes" the driver is giving.

So, your conclusion is valid in theory. But in reality it could be that.... " it just depends".

Last edited:
I was thinking similarly. However if they are American citizens, even having crossed over into Mexico I think there is a good chance of them being apprehended. If they are Mexican citizens, the chance of them being found and extradited is nearly zero.
I agree, although since the truck/trailer went into Mexico, I would bet the driver is not a US citizen. What strikes me as so odd here is the location on the north tip of Padre. Not even close to the Mexican border. I can't figure this one out at all.

This site shows crime stats in the area higher than average, although not complete data for the island: Mustang-Padre Island, TX Crime Rates & Crime Map

We used to go there a lot before the last big hurricane (but haven't been since) and always felt pretty safe. I wonder if the hurricane changed things for the worse? Any locals on here can speak to that?

If they are Mexican citizens, the chance of them being found and extradited is nearly zero.

Sadly, this is very true. Mexico has very strict extradition laws governing turning over Mexican citizens to foreign governments. Such people must be given a preliminary trial or sorts in Mexico that as you alluded to, is complicated and almost never happens.

But there is some good news....

Mexico also has very strict immigration laws (some what ironic). As some U.S. fugitives have found out, being born in Mexico or being of indirect or even direct Mexican descent does not make one a Mexican citizen. Likewise, having resided in Mexico illegally or legally is also no road to citizenship.

Thus, it is possible that the murder(s) think they are protected by Mexican extradition laws when they are not.

Last edited:
I agree, although since the truck/trailer went into Mexico, I would bet the driver is not a US citizen. What strikes me as so odd here is the location on the north tip of Padre. Not even close to the Mexican border. I can't figure this one out at all.

This site shows crime stats in the area higher than average, although not complete data for the island: Mustang-Padre Island, TX Crime Rates & Crime Map

We used to go there a lot before the last big hurricane (but haven't been since) and always felt pretty safe. I wonder if the hurricane changed things for the worse? Any locals on here can speak to that?
I agree that killer is possibly Mexican, or at least has connections/family/business in Mexico. Why else cross the border? Person must feel comfortable there and not worried about being pursued. The fact that the bodies were buried basically right where Michelle and James camped, and not well hidden leads to that conclusion as well.. Someone didn't seem to care if bodies were found. Methinks because they are "safe" in Mexico and will be difficult to find. I hope I'm wrong.

There was quite a bit of chaos and displaced residents following Harvey, but the area has rebounded quite well. So, while I don’t think it’s necessarily correlated to the hurricane, there has been an uptick in violent crime around here in general. But some pockets of the beach have always been a magnet for crime, and there have been many notorious ones over the years.

There are some very nice, secure, fenced RV parks in the area but they are expensive. The area the Butlers were found in is easily accessible but can also be quite desolate at night. And the area right around Bob Hall Pier is especially attractive for fringe people and activity.

But all that considered, this is an especially horrific and perplexing crime that just doesn’t fit the usual. And defies all humanity. I’m horrified and ashamed that this happened to these lovely people in my community. And on the beach that they enjoyed and that is a source of pride for us here.

I haven't read the thread (haven't been online in a long time), but I am intimately familiar with the location where the bodies were found. I patrolled that beach frequently for sea turtles and shorebirds. I just moved away a couple weeks ago. A good friend of mine is a National Park Service law enforcement ranger and was on scene when M was found. The site is in an area called The Bowl where people like to party.

There are illegal immigrants on the beach frequently, illegal Mexican fishing boats offshore, drugs and bodies washing up are not uncommon.

100% honest, but I'm thinking about where their three cats are now...

No differences after Harvey. The only increase in crime I am aware of is the illegal lanchas off the coast. That could mean more people coming ashore, but I haven't seen that.

Coast Guard interdicts lancha crews illegally fishing US waters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member