TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow - that is fascinating. Terrifying but fascinating. Thanks for sharing your experience. As a former psych/neuro NP I totally agree that some kind of head injury could have happened without any sign being left behind. A coup-countercoup (and probable subsequent SAH) injury can occur even without the head coming into contact with anything.

When I was young and invincible, I'd drive from Houston to Dallas all of the time and stop smoking (cigarettes) an hour before I got to my parents' house. Looking back, I'm sure I reeked but totally thought I was getting away with it. I'd also come home from high school gatherings completely baked out of my gourd, tell my parents I was really tired, and go off to my room. Even if Jason's parents were waiting up for him it would be very easy to avoid a long conversation as to not show the extent of impairment.

It would seem totally logical to the still practically adolescent brain to light one up and "relax" on the drive home. I haven't read all of the posts but it's possible that he took some kind of speedy substance before he started on his way so late at night? Maybe he wanted to come down a bit during the last part of the drive so smoked a little something. Usually this goes off without a hitch, but who knows what he was smoking. I'm so happy to have legal weed where I live, because you're highly unlikely to come across some contaminated stuff. As a high schooler growing up in Tx, the majority of our mj came from the Mexican Mafia and was (obviously) not regulated or tested at all. How I survived my younger years...there but for the grace of God go I!
Gosh, I would have loved to have been reared in TX!
Your post reminded me of something re SAH.
A second bleed can occur soon after the first.
I remember having the argument with my neurosurgeon about how I'd be absolutely fine once I got home to the animals.
I thought I'd explained my rationale so well when he shot back, he didn't like me, 'if you do you will have a second bleed within a few hours and you will not survive'

Again we have no idea whether he had a head injury or any injury or smoked spiked weed or what happened..
i have a feeling the new search will be successful.
Hopefully they will identify the hallucinogen and get an idea of where it might have taken him.. how far and how fast.
It's a big territory.

Yes, I believe they would need a search warrant?

No, they would not need a warrant to enter into an impounded vehicle. They are permitted to conduct an inventory of the contents and to assess the interior condition. They must merely document what they did. In general, they do not go into the vehicle when it is impounded unless there is a really good reason to do so. I suspect being that it was dark and in the middle of the night and at the time of impoundment, there was nothing suspicious or out of the ordinary, they probably just opted to impound it figuring they could go back and look inside later or have the vehicle RO do so - which is exactly what happened.

So I tried seeing what experience the 2 ex-FBI agents had/have. I found this:
Tuleta Copeland - https://www.linkedin.com/in/tuletacopeland

I supervised the Border Corruption Task Force comprised of Special Agents and law enforcement personnel from the FBI, federal, state and local law enforcement agencies. Investigations focused on law enforcement corruption, judicial corruption, local political corruption and legislative corruption. The Squad had numerous successes including being awarded the US Attorneys Award of Excellence for an investigation focusing on a major Drug Cartel involved in sophisticated Money Laundering.

Assigned to Violent Crimes and Major Offenders (VCMO) squad. Managed investigations into local and transnational gangs, organized crime, fugitive, kidnapping, bank robberies, major thefts, and other violent crimes. Built strategic alliances with other entities (e.g., CIA, DOD, ATF) that resulted in the disruption or dismantling of criminal or terrorist organizations in the U.S. or abroad.

Abel Pena (no Linked in page found but I don't have LinkedIn so maybe someone registered with them could find it)

From https://www.pminvestigations.org/

We have a staff of retired FBI and Federal Agents to offer cost-effective training and development programs for any size businesses.

(Me again - One in the bulleted list is Gang/Drug matters)

over 20 years of undercover work in a myriad of investigations. Proven leader with the ability to deliver results in high-pressure situations. Offers a unique combination of extensive training and experience within the Middle East, Central/South/Latin American countries and the Caribbean.

Me again - I'd be hiring someone with experience in whatever I needed help in. I'm thinking LE does that as well as opposed to hiring just any ex-FBI. Experience for whatever the suspected crime is is important. While the above could mean nothing, it also could mean they think this is drug related with the possibility of gang drug crimes. Maybe local LE already has a drug gang they've been investigating and something raised red flags that Jason's case could be related. Again, and maybe not. This is all pure speculation with what limited info we have.

Actually, I'm going to bet the private investigators are actually being used more for data retrieval and analysis of social media content.

I noticed his ex-girlfriend was mentioned. Could this be connected to his last Snapchat, as he approached that intersection in Luling? It would be interesting to know how he was feeling at that point in time:

• 11:24 p.m. – Enters the City of Luling on Highway 80, goes through the intersection of Hackberry Street (Highway 80 becomes Austin Street here)
Landry then stops using the Waze app and opens Snapchat.

[...]

The sheriff’s office said Landry’s family and ex-girlfriend have been cooperative and helpful in the investigation.

Jason Landry search: More details released in ongoing search for Texas State student
I noticed who wasn't mentioned...friends and roommates.

The time line, corroborated by cameras, of his trip from San Marco down to Luling does not show time for any stops, therefore, no carjacking. The pictures taken, show him to be wearing the same shirt as was discarded at the scene.

I have worked all my life with TBI's (traumatic brain injuries) and taking off of all clothing down to shoes, watch and underwear so soon after the trauma itself is exceptionally rare. Brain bleeds can take hours to develop to the point of producing these symptoms. This seems unusual to me particularly when there was no blood on the windshield or steering wheel or on his tee shirt.
On the other hand, the removal of all clothing etc. is so much more likely with bad drug interactions.
If he had no shoes on, it seems he would have been found so much closer to the road. Have they searched all storm drains etc. places where he may have burrowed into. MOO MOO MOO
BBM

Thanks for addressing this point. I’ve seen brain trauma suggested to explain his removal of clothing but have searched and searched Google for the symptoms of brain injuries and brain hemorrhages and shock and never found anything that might explain it.

So I tried seeing what experience the 2 ex-FBI agents had/have. I found this:
Tuleta Copeland - https://www.linkedin.com/in/tuletacopeland

I supervised the Border Corruption Task Force comprised of Special Agents and law enforcement personnel from the FBI, federal, state and local law enforcement agencies. Investigations focused on law enforcement corruption, judicial corruption, local political corruption and legislative corruption. The Squad had numerous successes including being awarded the US Attorneys Award of Excellence for an investigation focusing on a major Drug Cartel involved in sophisticated Money Laundering.

Assigned to Violent Crimes and Major Offenders (VCMO) squad. Managed investigations into local and transnational gangs, organized crime, fugitive, kidnapping, bank robberies, major thefts, and other violent crimes. Built strategic alliances with other entities (e.g., CIA, DOD, ATF) that resulted in the disruption or dismantling of criminal or terrorist organizations in the U.S. or abroad.

Abel Pena (no Linked in page found but I don't have LinkedIn so maybe someone registered with them could find it)

From https://www.pminvestigations.org/

We have a staff of retired FBI and Federal Agents to offer cost-effective training and development programs for any size businesses.

(Me again - One in the bulleted list is Gang/Drug matters)

over 20 years of undercover work in a myriad of investigations. Proven leader with the ability to deliver results in high-pressure situations. Offers a unique combination of extensive training and experience within the Middle East, Central/South/Latin American countries and the Caribbean.

Me again - I'd be hiring someone with experience in whatever I needed help in. I'm thinking LE does that as well as opposed to hiring just any ex-FBI. Experience for whatever the suspected crime is is important. While the above could mean nothing, it also could mean they think this is drug related with the possibility of gang drug crimes. Maybe local LE already has a drug gang they've been investigating and something raised red flags that Jason's case could be related. Again, and maybe not. This is all pure speculation with what limited info we have.

Actually, I'm going to bet the private investigators are actually being used more for data retrieval and analysis of social media content.

E Austin St & N Magnolia Ave
Luling, TX 78648
Google Maps

The Sheriff's Office believes the clothing found in the roadway was what Jason was wearing prior to the accident. They said there is no indication that the clothing was removed under duress or threat.

Jason’s vehicle has been processed for DNA and any blood evidence with the assistance of the Texas Rangers. There was no evidence of blood inside the vehicle.

Investigators have reviewed hundreds of hours of video from cameras in and around Luling, none of which have produced anything of use. They are asking anyone with private surveillance cameras on their property in the Luling area to review the footage as soon as possible.

If you have any information, you can call the Caldwell County Sheriff's Office at (512) 398-6777.
Investigators baffled by disappearance of Texas State student, missing since December
Not to make light of anything, but just imagine that you are already hallucinating and you run into a pack of feral hogs in a field. To me, that seems like things nightmares are made of, and I know in Florida, some of those feral hogs are huge. MOO. Katt

My exact thoughts, to the T...
Prayers for JL and his family.

Jumping off of your posts about possible hallucinogenics, I just read this article in the paper yesterday:

Nitrous Nation

Just a snip from the article below. I really had no idea that what were called "poppers" in the 80s are a "thing" again. With young twenties doing a lot of the partaking.

In part because the drug seems fun, nitrous-related content now flourishes on social media. A 22-year-old from Seattle (whom The Times agreed to grant anonymity because of his employment in the tech world) is among the most prominent posters in the TikTok nitrous scene, known as WhipTok; his account has millions of views.

“It’s definitely more, like, relevant now,” he said, noting the appearance of inhalants on the Instagram stories of musicians and people showing off their dispensers online.

From The National Institutes of Health:

Neuropsychiatric Symptoms Induced by Large Doses of Nitrous Oxide Inhalation: A Case Report

Summary
Nitrous Oxide, which is also called laughing gas, now ranks as the 7th most popular drug in the world. Nitrous oxide mainly disturbs B12 metabolism and damages nerves, followed by apparent neuropsychiatric symptoms. It’s beneficial to the prognosis of patients if we identify and treat their symptoms early. This case report describes a 19-year-old male who presented with auditory hallucination, persecutory delusions and unstable emotions after abuse of nitrous oxide over the course of half a year. Moreover, neurological signs such as weakness and hyperesthesia also appeared. After supplementation of vitamin B12, the neuropsychiatric symptoms improved, while the lower extremities achieved partial recovery. Therapeutically, we should pay attention to nerve repair, motivation enhancement and reinforce interventions that prevent relapse.

It's my understanding that nitrous oxide chargers can be purchased at some mom-and-pop stores and gas stations. I wonder if @Lulingresident6 can shed any light on that? Have you seen them available at Valero?

I may have missed it, but why are some posters speculating about Valero? This is a block away from his last GPS location of E. Austin and Magnolia and I would think that would have been listed as E. Fannin St. and Magnolia. Heading toward Valero would be a major difference as it would have meant that he did correctly turn right onto 183 south (aka Magnolia) and then went back the wrong direction (if he were supposedly headed to Missouri City) to get back onto E. Austin, then Spruce St, then Salt Flat Rd.

I'm assuming that he did not turn right onto 183 from E. Austin.

Also, if you check out google earth, the transition at E. Austin to Spruce St. sure does NOT seem like something someone would do inadvertently, it is not just "continuing straight" as it has sometimes been described in other posts. It is a stop that looks like the road has come to a "T" intersection and then Spruce St. is off at a diagonal. This would have been a clue to anyone that they were having to consciously make a turn and you would notice you were heading somewhere different / not just continuing straight. Spruce St. then becomes a narrow, turning road and is very different from the wide and straight 183.

In my opinion, it would be very difficult for someone not to realize they were off track at this intersection if they were thinking they were headed down 183.

Here is a screenshot of that intersection for reference....(E. Austin at Spruce / Myrtle) (Spruce is the diagonal to the left).

upload_2021-2-1_14-11-36.png

I may have missed it, but why are some posters speculating about Valero? This is a block away from his last GPS location of E. Austin and Magnolia and I would think that would have been listed as E. Fannin St. and Magnolia. Heading toward Valero would be a major difference as it would have meant that he did correctly turn right onto 183 south (aka Magnolia) and then went back the wrong direction (if he were supposedly headed to Missouri City) to get back onto E. Austin, then Spruce St, then Salt Flat Rd.
^^rsbm

Thanks for your post @logical. I thought Valero was located at the intersection of E. Austin and Magnolia Ave but after further review, that's not correct. It's Texas Express Lube & Auto that's at the corner, and not Valero.

I think OP may have made the same mistake when referencing Valero. I don't recall any official source citing Valero. MOO

Jumping off of your posts about possible hallucinogenics, I just read this article in the paper yesterday:

Nitrous Nation

Just a snip from the article below. I really had no idea that what were called "poppers" in the 80s are a "thing" again. With young twenties doing a lot of the partaking.

In part because the drug seems fun, nitrous-related content now flourishes on social media. A 22-year-old from Seattle (whom The Times agreed to grant anonymity because of his employment in the tech world) is among the most prominent posters in the TikTok nitrous scene, known as WhipTok; his account has millions of views.

“It’s definitely more, like, relevant now,” he said, noting the appearance of inhalants on the Instagram stories of musicians and people showing off their dispensers online.

From The National Institutes of Health:

Neuropsychiatric Symptoms Induced by Large Doses of Nitrous Oxide Inhalation: A Case Report

Summary
Nitrous Oxide, which is also called laughing gas, now ranks as the 7th most popular drug in the world. Nitrous oxide mainly disturbs B12 metabolism and damages nerves, followed by apparent neuropsychiatric symptoms. It’s beneficial to the prognosis of patients if we identify and treat their symptoms early. This case report describes a 19-year-old male who presented with auditory hallucination, persecutory delusions and unstable emotions after abuse of nitrous oxide over the course of half a year. Moreover, neurological signs such as weakness and hyperesthesia also appeared. After supplementation of vitamin B12, the neuropsychiatric symptoms improved, while the lower extremities achieved partial recovery. Therapeutically, we should pay attention to nerve repair, motivation enhancement and reinforce interventions that prevent relapse.

It's my understanding that nitrous oxide chargers can be purchased at some mom-and-pop stores and gas stations. I wonder if @Lulingresident6 can shed any light on that? Have you seen them available at Valero?
I haven't, but probably because I haven't looked. I'll check a few places out in the next day or so and report back. That said, if they have them here, I'm sure they have them in San Marcos.

Regarding the question as to whether or not he was alone during the accident, the fact the "passenger door was locked" in the latest release makes it seem like they are saying that no one got out of the passenger side. Also the statement about the clothing that "there is no indication that it was removed under duress or threat" seems that to further that point.

I tried to look at the damaged vehicle photos to see if airbags had deployed (perhaps maybe driver and not passenger) but I couldn't make a determination. If anything, it looked like no airbags went off which could be due to the nature of side impact.

I think this makes it unlikely that someone else was in the car and that he likely was alone and exited the vehicle via the drivers door.

Last edited:
Regarding the question as to whether or not he was alone during the accident, the fact the "passenger door was locked" in the latest release makes it seem like they are saying that no one got out of the passenger side. Also the statement about the clothing that "there is no indication that it was removed under duress or threat" seems that to further that point.

I tried to look at the damaged vehicle photos to see if airbags had deployed (perhaps maybe driver and not passenger) but I couldn't make a determination. If anything, it looked like no airbags went off which could be do to the nature of side impact.

I think this makes it unlikely that someone else was in the car and that he likely was alone and exited the vehicle via the drivers door.

I think the driver's door was locked, but not the passenger door.

The key was in the ignition and the lights were still on.

<moo>

Last edited:
Cell phone data reveals timeline in mysterious disappearance of Texas State student Jason Landry
Jason had just finished up his first semester at the university in San Marcos, Texas where he had been working toward being accepted into their prestigious Sound Recording Technology program.

Dec. 13, 10:55 p.m. - Jason leaves his apartment in San Marcos with the intent to drive to his parents' home in Missouri City, Texas.

Dec. 13, 11:05 p.m. - Jason drives his vehicle on Highway 80 and passes under I-35 in San Marcos.

Dec. 13, 11:07 p.m. - Jason continues to drive south on Highway 80 entering Caldwell County.

Dec. 13, 11:11 p.m. - Jason is in Martindale, Texas, continuing south on Highway 80.

Dec. 13, 11:15 p.m. - Jason passes over SH130 on Highway. 80.

Dec.13, 11:24 p.m. - Jason enters Luling, Texas on Highway 80. He stops using the Waze app and opens Snapchat. He passes through the intersection of Magnolia Avenue and East Austin Street, and that’s where Jason’s digital footprint stops. It’s believed he continued on East Austin to Spruce Street, which turns into Salt Flat Road.

At 12:31 a.m., Jason's wrecked vehicle is found on Salt Flat Road. Investigators say it was a single-vehicle collision, most likely from over-correcting on the gravel road, spinning off the roadway and crashing the rear-end into a tree.

I tried to look at the damaged vehicle photos to see if airbags had deployed (perhaps maybe driver and not passenger) but I couldn't make a determination. If anything, it looked like no airbags went off which could be due to the nature of side impact.

Very early JL's dad provided that this was an older vehicle his son was driving and it was not equipped with side airbags.

I don't recall any DPS information citing that airbags deployed during the crash. Since there was no front impact, this seems reasonable to me.

I'm assuming that he did not turn right onto 183 from E. Austin.

Also, if you check out google earth, the transition at E. Austin to Spruce St. sure does NOT seem like something someone would do inadvertently, it is not just "continuing straight" as it has sometimes been described in other posts. It is a stop that looks like the road has come to a "T" intersection and then Spruce St. is off at a diagonal. This would have been a clue to anyone that they were having to consciously make a turn and you would notice you were heading somewhere different / not just continuing straight. Spruce St. then becomes a narrow, turning road and is very different from the wide and straight 183.

In my opinion, it would be very difficult for someone not to realize they were off track at this intersection if they were thinking they were headed down 183.

Here is a screenshot of that intersection for reference....(E. Austin at Spruce / Myrtle) (Spruce is the diagonal to the left).

View attachment 282211
The Valero is on the same block as the oil change place and from the intersection, you can clearly see the lights from the Valero. He may have gone to Valero, but who knows. Also, the intersection you mention is the way I go home pretty much every day. It may not appear so on the map, but it's more "going straight" than making a turn. A left turn would put you on a different street. For you app computer gurus, how does Snapchat handle location services? Does it, or can you, turn off location services in the app and the phone wouldn't ping? I don't think there is any question that he didn't drive around Luling because I would think they would have been able to track that, so the question is did he keep going to somewhere down SFR but before the accident scene, meet someone or get out to smoke what is potentially laced pot, and then continued on down SFR to the accident? If he was looking to get off the beaten path to smoke, he could have stopped pretty early on down SFR as opposed to driving way out to where the accident was. Also, certain cell providers don't get good service out here so I wonder if it's possible that he didn't have service and got confused.

I have always said I wasn't sure he was actually going to his parent's home that very night. I still think he might have been headed to his hometown but might have been going somewhere else that night. If that is the case, that might make him more comfortable "partaking" en route and for me explains arriving late, etc. This statement from Caldwell County leaves some openness in my mind as to whether he was headed to his parent's home or perhaps somewhere else in Missouri City. The statement really says he went to Missouri City Texas. It could just mean he went to Missouri City Texas which happens to be where his parents reside. Linking and quoting the part I am referencing.
Caldwell County Sheriff's Office
Investigators believe that Jason left his apartment in San Marcos at 10:55 PM on 12.13.20 with the intent to travel to the Missouri City Texas area, where his parents reside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member