GUILTY TX - Mariah Alvarez, 2, beaten to death, Harlingen, 17 Feb 2007 *mom, death penalty*

I have seen so many cases where the convicted person gets less time than a DUI or an assault. Manslaughter most of the time.

Murder is murder regardless of the age of the victim. She should get a life sentence at the very least. imo

She not only killed her child, she tortured her. I don't rejoice in the death penalty, not at all. All of her children will have to live with what she did and what was done to her. That will make it hard on them and I hate that for their sakes.

I was totally shocked that she got the death sentence. That to me says premeditation at least in my state it does. She might have snapped and couldn't stop. Maybe she has a history of abuse of the other children.

Murdering children is becoming a daily thing. It is time to make changes and its obvious what we are doing isn't working. This just breaks my heart!

If a man murders his wife or vice versa what is the punishment? Should the murder of an innocent child be a lesser punishment? If the father had done this what would happen to him? Is she less evil because she was the child's mother. Does "snapping" give her an easy out? Would that give a father or boyfriend an easy out? No difference.............imo

In Texas, the murder of any child under age 6 is a capital offense punishable by death.

Sadly, Mariah was denied that option. But that doesn't mean she would join in the cheers for her mother's murder.

Anyone who cheers for the death of another human being should be ashamed.

It's such a slippery slope for me. On one hand I shout how child killers deserve what they dished out, and I do believe that. OTOH, it's hit and miss. Why don't we have the same punishment for all child killers? Just today I watched twenty-five-year-old Lindsey Lowe of Hendersonville leave the Sumner County Jail with her father. She's probably tucked in her nice comfy bed right now!

What kind of system is that? Makes no sense to me :(

Is one child (or more) more important than the other? Don't want to open a can of worms, but I have a hard time reconciling killing this woman while others are eating pot roast...KWIM?

My opinion only --

Mel

I feel confident that little Mariah would have wanted mental healthcare for her mother, not murder.

mur·der   /ˈmɜrdər/ Show Spelled[mur-der] Show IPA
noun
1. Law . the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law. In the U.S., special statutory definitions include murder committed with malice aforethought, characterized by deliberation or premeditation or occurring during the commission of another serious crime, as robbery or arson (first-degree murder), and murder by intent but without deliberation or premeditation (second-degree murder).

I feel confident little Mariah would have wanted to live. Her mother isn't being murdered, she's being executed. Call it what you want, I'll call it Justice.

...Call it what you want....

What an odd remark after devoting an entire post to telling me I'm using the wrong term!

I know how murder is defined and I used the term deliberately. I know what the Supreme Court has ruled and I believe that ruling is wrong.

Does anyone believe the Governor of Texas will stop this execution?

As with many DP cases, there has been a flurry of articles posted. She is scheduled for execution on the 27th I believe.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see what happens here.

Just heard about this case and glanced over Wikipedia and The Innocence Project. She’s certainly not innocent based on the signs of child abuse noted, but she deserves a fair trial.

I just (finally) watched the documentary on this case - it was definitely leaning heavily towards Melissa Lucio's innocence. But I keep coming back to little Mariah's other injuries - her arm was broken and, according to the original autopsy, had been broken for weeks. WEEKS! Other injuries were bite marks - all over this child - OMG!

I get the extreme poverty, I get there is a history of sexual assault and abuse, I get she was pregnant and in shock over the death of Mariah. I even get that her interrogation was long and extremely intimidating. But this case happened YEARS ago - if she was innocent back then, it stands to reason she would be innocent now. So where has everyone been?

All the lawmakers crying about her innocence, the jurors declaring they didn't hear all the evidence, even Kim K all over social media. I have my own issues with the death penalty, but I am so over people jumping on the bandwagon crying "she's innocent, do something" just because her execution date has been set.

Just my opinion.

Melissa Lucio has sat on Texas Death Row for 15 years. She was tried and convicted for the death of her two-year-old daughter Mariah Alvarez, who prosecutors claimed was the victim of extreme child abuse. The description of the condition the child was in at the time of her death is absolutely heartbreaking, so be forewarned:

There were bruises in various stages of healing covering her body, there were bite marks on her back, one of her arms had been broken probably about two to seven weeks before her death, and she was missing portions of her hair where it had been pulled out by the roots. The emergency room physician (Vargas) testified that this was the "absolute worst" case of child abuse that he had seen in his 30 years of practice.
If that's all you were to hear about this case, it would be reasonable for you to shrug your shoulders and be either glad or indifferent that Lucio is on death row. But there is much more to this case for you to consider- facts that may lead you to think that Lucio is innocent, and facts that may make you think she deserves to be there after all.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back