GUILTY TX - Megan Getrum, 36, murdered, Plano, 18 April 2017 *Arrest*

I've never thought of Lake Ray Hubbard as being a part of Dallas since it's so far out there in Rowlett/Rockwall. Can't understand why she would go there from Arbor Hills...quite the trek for a Friday evening. But, also crazy to think that she may have been abducted from Arbor Hills. I have considered it one of the safer areas for walking/jogging/biking/hiking, and it usually has a lot of traffic.

I'm gonna say most of west Plano is pretty safe. I'd walk most places there with no hesitation.

I am curious if she went to Lake Ray Hubbard on her own or with "someone".

I'm gonna say most of west Plano is pretty safe. I'd walk most places there with no hesitation.

I am curious if she went to Lake Ray Hubbard on her own or with "someone".

Same here.

Considering where she was found, that's super close to Bass Pro and all of those restaurants on the lake... a great area to go out for dinner.

City of Dallas owns the lake even though it's surrounded by Rockwall / rowlett . So they respond to any crimes in the lake .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.fox4news.com/news/249485938-story

The search of the nature preserve in Plano yielded no physical evidence, but police are confident Getrum was there about 8:30 Friday evening based on communication she had with
a family member.

A family member said they were talking to her on the phone as she was walking through the park around that time when the phone cut out.

"We were able to get cell phone extraction evidence to show she was actually in that park at the time that communication was taking place," Officer David Tilley of Plano police said.

Getrum lives in the area and frequents the park, but friends and family members became concerned after they did not hear from her over the Easter weekend.

Less than 12 hours after Getrum's last known communication, a woman's body is discovered floating off the bank of Lake Ray Hubbard south of I-30 near the President George Bush Turnpike. A passerby pulled it to shore. It wasn't until Wednesday when the two police departments made the connection.

Plano police previously said there were no signs of foul play, but they couldn’t provide any new information surrounding the circumstances of Getrum’s death.

Plano police also searched Getrum's apartment near the nature preserve. Her car was still at the apartment complex, so police do not think she drove herself to the lake.

"She made it from this park to that lake somehow and it wasn't by her own vehicle, so we are going to be looking into all the evidence that we can determine," Officer Tilley said. "Yeah, it's going to be difficult."

Police are confident Getrum had her phone and a water bottle with her. Those items have not been recovered and would likely be valuable clues about her death.

Police are also waiting for information from the medical examiner to determine how Getrum may have died.

Does anyone know the name/exact location of her apartment complex? I have a friend that lives nearby :-/

Does anyone know the name/exact location of her apartment complex? I have a friend that lives nearby :-/

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/plano/2017/04/19/plano-police-seek-help-search-missing-woman

This article states she lived in the 7000 block of West Parker so I am suspecting she lived at the Preserve at Arbor Hills, which is right next door to the nature trail area. I could see her being a regular there and probably very familiar with it.

She was found almost 30 miles away from there.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 621
The big question, how did she get from W. Parker Road to Lake Ray Hubbard?

Heard about this on my local sports talk radio today. Definitely something amiss here. Not finding a lot of info though. RIP Megan!

The big question, how did she get from W. Parker Road to Lake Ray Hubbard?

Exactly. She was walking at the Arbor Trails park on W. Parker Rd Friday evening around 8:30 according to a family member she was messaging on the phone with. It was dark at that time.

Police are calling this a "death investigation", not a homicide at this point. Intentional, accidental, or criminal is what they are trying to determine. Cause of death is pending ME. They have not found her phone.

This is very, very strange.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Missing-Woman-in-Plano-419851574.html

Exactly. She was walking at the Arbor Trails park on W. Parker Rd Friday evening around 8:30 according to a family member she was messaging on the phone with. It was dark at that time.

Police are calling this a "death investigation", not a homicide at this point. Intentional, accidental, or criminal is what they are trying to determine. Cause of death is pending ME. They have not found her phone.

This is very, very strange.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Missing-Woman-in-Plano-419851574.html

Very strange! And her car was still at her apartment complex so she didn't drive herself.

Was she clothed? Any pending drama in her life?

Plano PD seeking the public's help. A little more info in the link - Megan was found wearing a red, yellow and white, floral-print bike shirt and green running shoes.

Also:
Getrum's car remained at her apartment, where police also found her purse.

Cell phone records show she communicated with a relative about 8:30 Friday evening, then the trail went cold.

http://www.fox4news.com/news/249822631-story

Was she clothed? Any pending drama in her life? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No indication of any drama that I have read, or if the family member she was talking to when her phone went dead has indicated any problems. A neighbor described seeing her often reading on her balcony with her cat. She seemed to lead a quiet life, loved to travel and be active by statements made by her friends and looking at her facebook photos.

This article says she was a software engineer who worked until January 2017 at Masergy (by her linkedin profile) - "It's unclear where she may have been working at the time of her death."
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/pla...consider-aspects-learn-ended-lake-ray-hubbard

Looking at Masergy, it seems they were bought late last year by Berkshire Partners. Sometimes these acquisitions can lead to reorgs, layoffs, and unease at the workplace. So, was she still working there and her linkedin profile is just in error? The question of her work status might be the only thing hinting at drama in her life if she was no longer at Masergy.

But given the fact her phone went dead, and she was found so far away with no obvious means of getting there leads me to think it wasn't intentional.

I joined websleuths just for this case. I also live in one of the complexes near arbor hills. I've probably seen her in the area, since I hear she was always walking around near the preserve.

I wonder if the fact that they didn't mention anything about her pants is significant? The mentioned her shirt and shoes, but no pant color? Maybe she was found without them?

Horribly tragic. I hope they figure out what happened to her, I've been extra vigilant walking my dog this week.... she looks like such a sweet person!

I joined websleuths just for this case. I also live in one of the complexes near arbor hills. I've probably seen her in the area, since I hear she was always walking around near the preserve.

I wonder if the fact that they didn't mention anything about her pants is significant? The mentioned her shirt and shoes, but no pant color? Maybe she was found without them?

Horribly tragic. I hope they figure out what happened to her, I've been extra vigilant walking my dog this week.... she looks like such a sweet person!

I haven't heard anything about the pants. What can you tell us about this preserve? She was there after dark - would you do that? Do you know if there are any cameras in the parking lot or anywhere? What about the lighting? What would your gut tell you about being there alone after dark?

Thanks for any info you can shed. I hope they solve this soon so y'all can feel safe. Plano is a pretty safe place and this seems totally off kilter.

It is definitely off kilter for Plano. I was born and raised here, and grew up in the neighborhood that shares a property line with the preserve. I know it VERY well. I just happened to move back to the area after school because my office is nearby.

Plano is kinda in a weird place right now, it's not as tight knit as it used to be. With Toyota almost finished with their new headquarters a few blocks away, and with all the new businesses moving here, there has been a lot of growth. They said that over 12,000 new jobs are going to be opening up in Plano in the next 5 years. So there are literally thousands of families moving here. The area around Arbor Hills is very "well to do" if you will. Lots of money over there. Lots of company headquarter (JC Penny, Boeing, Dallas Cowboys, Toyota, Dr. Pepper etc). Huge houses on all sides of the park with at least 3 complexes that I can think of. And it is within a short drive between 3 major tollways that can get you anywhere.

As far as the park goes, it has also changed quite a bit. It's the only real outdoor "hiking and biking" space on the west side. As a kid I used to play in the creeks make new trails all the way to the railroad tracks in the back on the park. Now, like one of the reports said, there inst really a hiding place in the park. It has been so beaten down and over hiked that there are literally trails that crisscross the entire park. The city has a hard time keeping up with erosion. They close a trail to help it regrow, but people go around it. There really isn't anything remote about it anymore, that place has been pretty well mapped out by trails. It is very beautiful though.

There are 2 official entrances to the park, but a few unofficial ones as well. Three sides of the park are surrounded by very tall chain link fence. The main entrance opens up to the neighborhood it is connected to where you can either go through the parking lot, or walk across the field from the neighborhood. I know there are cameras at the main entrance. I am not sure about the neighborhood side, it has been a while since I have been that way. But I know that if you park your car in the neighborhood at night and walk to the park, the police will come find you. The neighbors ALWAYS call for cars they don't recognize. As for the unofficial entrances, I know of at least 3 holes in the fence on The Colony side of the park that allow access to those who live in the apartment complexes. They aren't sketchy holes that some naughty kids made, but you can tell from the VERY worn trails in and out of them that the people who live in the complexes use them to take their dogs out and have been for years. As far as I know, those entrances are not monitored. But that's probably why there were people still in the park when it was "closed" for their investigation. The city hasn't made much of an effort to close the fence entrances as far as I have seen, besides old no trespassing signs.

As far as my opinion of the park, I could bet money that there were still a lot of people there when she was there, even at night. There are some bluebonnets in the field by the parking lots every year, and I bet there were families finishing up Easter pictures that night. I believe most kids were off school. So it would have been a very busy day at arbor hills. There is lighting in the parking lots, but if you are on the trails it is very dark. But they are well marked, and you wont go very far on a dirt trail without running into the concrete trail, which makes it very hard to get lost. You are never too far away from a sign or a main trial. I don't mind going there alone, and I wouldn't be afraid of going at night as long as I had my dog with me. I have never been scared of people as much as the wildlife. LOTS of snakes. At 8:30 I would probably be on my way back to my car, since the sun had just gone down and it was starting to get harder to see, but I wouldn't be frightened to be out there. Like I said, I'm pretty sure she wasn't alone out there, there were probably still lots of people around in the picnic areas and such. I don't think the gate closes till 9:30, but I could be wrong. I'm sure she had been out there many times before, she was obviously at ease by walking and talking on the phone.

It's just really scary. First Christina Morris, now this. I don't like it.

Also, I havent figured out how to quote people yet, so my bad.

I haven't heard anything about the pants. What can you tell us about this preserve? She was there after dark - would you do that? Do you know if there are any cameras in the parking lot or anywhere? What about the lighting? What would your gut tell you about being there alone after dark?

Thanks for any info you can shed. I hope they solve this soon so y'all can feel safe. Plano is a pretty safe place and this seems totally off kilter.

To sum it all up, no I have never felt unsafe there at night because of anyone else. It can be eery because the wind blows pretty hard through there when you are on the main trail sometimes, and it is a creepy feeling. Maybe because I'm a weenie from the city. But I have never felt threatened there. I would find it hard for someone to sneak up on you there, in my opinion. Even in the dark. But maybe if she was on her phone she was distracted?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back