Found Deceased TX - Michael Chambers, 70, Hunt County, 10 March 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This and the taking the DL as a trophy are two theories I hadn't thought of. This case is so baffling. Where is Papaw?!

He is a big guy and while I haven't seen pics of inside his shop - you'd think if there was a struggle there would be signs. Part of me thinks he walked out of there in his own. Except for the blood. What if it was pretty spacious inside the shop - and a struggle wouldn't necessarily knock anything out of place. Still, it seems like you'd need more than one person to carry Papaw away. But to where? Wasn't it mentioned no other tracks were found? If he was carried away you'd think the easiest route would be to pull a vehicle right up to the bay door.

Has it been mentioned if scent dogs were used in the house?

I believe, but was not there, dogs did go into the house - mainly to get his scent from his laundry...

(respectfully snipped by me)

I would love if we could get confirmation on the type of lock. I have several of these in my house.

I also have one of these in my house. Very easy to "pop" and gain access. I like this idea...perps could have popped the lock, gained access to the shed, and then been met with Papaw in the middle of their trip.

There were 2 locks on the door (both of which have been changed now, of course). The deadbolt was not locked, but the knob lock was. It was one that you turn to lock from the inside or use a key to open from the outside.

IF anyone other than him knew about it [emoji6]

*Just my random thoughts & opinions*

Is there any way someone could find out about a safe deposit box that we might not know about yet?

Wholeheartedly agree. I feel like another set of searches on ground, water, and aerial would be beneficial.

*All statements are that of my own opinion unless otherwise specified.*

Searches were conducted this weekend - sonar of bodies of water revealed nothing in the ponds (though you can see a single screw dropped to the bottom of a 90ft pond with that equipment - amazing).

I agree with you. Can they get Texas Equusearch to help? This is exactly what they do and they wouldn't have to travel far to help search.

Texas Equusearch is now also involved.

One would think that if there was a cadaver out there that there would be the unmistakable scent of death?

Would there have been time to bury a body?! I don't really see how.

If they are going to do an Equus search, the sooner the better. Things are going to start blooming and growing
and if there is something somewhere on the property, it's going to be a lot harder to find.

I'd still like an answer to the dog. What kind..Was he usually outside w/ Pawpa.?..
and was he protective and was the dog inside or outside when BC got home?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

He's a large breed dog - maybe part mastiff?? I really don't know the breed. He was usually in the back yard, sometimes in the house, not typically out in the shop or just out in the front yard or rest of the property. I believe the dog was in the backyard when Becca got home.

Is there any way someone could find out about a safe deposit box that we might not know about yet?
My safety deposit box is at my bank. You have to bring your own key and the bank has one too. You might ask MC' s wife if she is aware of one.

I am just completely at a loss with this case. I feel in my gut that he left on his own. If he planned to commit suicide he possibly wanted the license on his body and the wallet at home so other items were safe for his wife like his ss card or credit cards.
It is also a rare possibility that the license was taken for proof of murder , for example a "hit "
Nobody's life is as perfect as it seems on the outside.
My husbands theory is he was taken into protective custody and that's why there is no more media or news coverage. (Crazy I know)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can tell you that the family has continued to push for media coverage to no avail. It's not because he's in protective custody, but simply because it's old news at this point. We were lucky to get so much coverage in the beginning.

Bring pawpaw home Facebook page states the family has called in their own private search services and they will be starting over with the search on Sunday. All areas previously searched will be searched again. This is what I've been waiting for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our family has engaged several private resources at this point. We hope beyond measure that something comes of this. At the least, we need answers.

Another of my relatives (on the other side of my family) passed away (it was not unexpected, but that doesn't make it less of a loss), and at the funeral last week, I found myself thinking "THIS is what it's supposed to be." Something happens, tragic or natural or unexpected or expected or whatever, a person dies, their family grieves and mourns the loss, a service is held, a body is laid to rest, a meal is shared (Texas, y'all), stories are told, and you move on with the fondness of that shared remembering.

We, right now, cannot do any of that. We don't know. We are holding on to the thought so tightly that Papaw is alive (though we truly do know that is not likely). While we hold on to that hope, we are unable to let go. You can't grasp at a ray of hope and light and life while also getting a grip on the likely reality and earthy dark of death. You have one hand to do one or the other of those things, and the other hand is to keep the rest of your life running. You can hold on to both, hope and loss, but then the rest of your life suffers so much. You have to let go to really grieve. We cannot do that until we have answers. I am CONVINCED that someone out there knows or has a sliver of information that could crack this case open and help us understand and be at peace with the truth - whatever that may be.

Forgive my ramblings. I just want answers. </3

Just a couple of points to make.

1. Just because nobody else's fingerprints inside shop that doesn't mean nobody was in his shop. Pretty simple to put on a pair of gloves, if you're a perp, to avoid leaving prints.

2. The fact that it was usual for him to wear a hat, but that he'd always take it off and put it in a certain spot when working in his shop, but his hat that he was wearing that day (as per Walmart videos) was not found in shop, says to me that he did not leave the shop under duress. And the fact, IMO, that the shop was locked up and light off inside, says to me that he was the one who locked up.

3. The small trail of blood on the floor in the shop leading up to the door could be insignificant to his disappearance. Small injuries (cut, poke, etc) to things like fingers can be pretty insignificant but can bleed a fair bit. Sometimes you poke or cut yourself and it doesn't initially even bleed and you don't even notice you're bleeding until you're walking around and see the blood.

4. PaPaw seems, like many of us, a creature of habit. Organized in his own way, everything in its place. His DL being missing from his wallet seems off to me. Even if someone stopped by and suggested going for a drink or to go look at a classic car, it doesn't seem realistic that he'd not just take his entire wallet. Easier to lose a loose DL card versus losing an entire wallet. For all we know maybe his DL was missing from his wallet for a period of time prior to his disappearance? Maybe in prior days he went somewhere and they asked to see his ID (DL) and they forgot to return his DL and he wasn't even aware that it was not returned to him. I'd be curious to know what type of wallet he has; was it the type where the DL would be stuck into one of many card slots or did it have a dedicated DL spot, the type with the clear plastic "window" (the former would mean it would be easier to not realize you didn't have your DL, the latter making it easier to see when opening your wallet that DL was missing).

5. Altho the neighbors claim that they didn't see any strange vehicles or anything amiss at his property. is it not possible that someone could have stopped by the home in a vehicle, been there only seconds, and neighbors wouldn't have seen?

6. Any past issues with any of the neighbors? Old grudges? Was he the type, if he had a run-in with a neighbor over something would he necessarily share that with his wife or family or just try to resolve it himself and not even mention it? It seems like he was the type to always lock things, routine habit, would even lock the house if out working in the shop. If someone hew knew/trusted popped by and claimed to need a hand with something, I could see him locking up the shop and leaving with them? Or what if someone didnt drive up onto the property under the guise of needing help, but walked onto it and up to the shop, would be much harder for a neighbor to see that would it not? Whether a neighbor, friend, stranger.

1. VERY true

2. Or that a perp struck before he took off his hat and after he took out his keys/wallet. (not saying it's one way or another, just analyzing options as objectively as I can)

3. It's more blood than a finger cut - there's a small pool and big fat drops to the door. LE may have downplayed that, but I will not. It was from an injury that would have required attention more than a bandaid, IMHO.

4. I really can't answer most of that, I just don't know enough details. I will try to find out.

5. Yes, that's a possibility. I would not call it probable, but possible yes.

6. No grudges that we know of - he got along with nearly everybody. Even if someone needed help, why only take the DL, phone and hat?

The family is offering $25,000 for information re MC.

I think I'd revise that to:
$3000 to anyone providing credible information regarding the disappearance of MC.

I'd be leery of $25,000 thinking that's a lot of money for a tip and chances are I'll never see that money even if my tip is decent.

$3000 is a more reasonable # and they may receive more tips that way. And I'd make it easy for them to report the tip. It may be from someone who is already in some kind of trouble w/ law enforcement and who wants to expose themselves?

The flyers all reflect "for specific information leading to the whereabouts of Michael Chambers."

Was PawPaw just a fireman or was he involved in determining arson cases, etc? I wonder if someone from his fireman days was upset with him and came looking for him?

As far as I know, he was not involved in determining cause of fires, but I will verify and get back to you.

Wondering if Papaw had any bad dealings with someone at a classic car show, auction, someone who wanted to buy one of his cars, someone he bought a car from, etc. Some people hold grudges that can last for years and that grudge and resulting animosity and need for vengence can fester over time.

Good question, too, by 806Mom re: whether he was ever involved with arson investigations.

Were search dogs brought in quickly? I think I recall reading here that search dogs did trace his scent to a neighbor's house but it was speculated that that was likely because he was known in the past to visit that neighbor so likely old scent from that.

I can't help but feel someone should be looking at the neighbors real good.

As this was his 2nd marriage, and I believe he had kids from 1st marriage, any old issues with his 1st wife or her family? grudges?

I'd be curious what the "talk around town" is......if there's any common speculation or rumors.

Search dogs were on scene the night he went missing.

No issues with his 1st wife - she and he still get along at family gatherings. She is friendly with all members of his family, even asking after people sometimes (how's your cousin so-and-so doing, etc.). Also, keep in mind, they divorced in something like 1979... or 78... a good long while ago.

Money for publicized tips usually comes from the state's CrimeStoppers fund. That money comes from fundraising, membership fees, donations, and other means.

Money for "paid informants" usually comes from seized funds that resulted from other criminal activities. Funds from a budget or such aren't allowed to be used for payment for information.

On the note of informants, very few are actually paid using money. The majority of informants are criminals who are trying to "work off" charges they're facing, or as credit against a pending sentence. Occasionally, a well connected person who just wants to do good will filter information to LE. And there's always the low level riff raff that just wants to keep the cops from interrupting their own enterprise so they throw the police the occasional bone.

CrimeStoppers rewards are generally no more than $1,000. Occasionally, they can go up to a slightly higher amount for a highly public crime.

With a $25,000 reward, it's more than likely a collective amount contributed to by CrimeStoppers, local private citizens who know MC, and I'm betting the Dallas Fire Department in some capacity.

The key words for who a reward is paid out to are that the information "leads to the capture/arrest, and prosecution" of the responsible party. And rewards can be split among several individuals.

*All statements are that of my own opinion unless otherwise specified.*

The $25k is from the family. It will be partially funded by the ******** that is set up, but whatever is left will be paid out by whoever is able to contribute. We set that amount (this sounds bad, but it's the truth) by looking at how much it would cost to purchase a new trailer home in that area. We thought it would be good enough motivation for area residents to speak up.

Did MC ever ride scooters or motorbikes, or did family or friends, wondering if that is why he left his wallet. Do we know if BC returned to work ( after her injury) the day before MC disappeared?

Not that I am aware of - 4-wheelers, but not scooters.

She returned to work the week of his disappearance. I can't quote you the day, but I'm thinking she told me Wednesday???

I can tell you that the family has continued to push for media coverage to no avail. It's not because he's in protective custody, but simply because it's old news at this point. We were lucky to get so much coverage in the beginning.

Argh! This frustrates me for you and your family. Papaw isn't old news! I've followed many cases on here and yes, some do drop off the radar. Something isn't sitting well with me about the lack of media coverage.

Have any specific reporters or media contacts responded with why they won't do a follow-up story?

I guess it's entirely possible that local LE and family are privy to info that would lead them to suspect this is not a criminal matter but maybe one of him leaving of his own accord. Given his high standing in the community, if there's info that would lead them to believe s*icide or leaving to start a new life elsewhere, I have a feeling they wouldn't divulge this to the public out or respect for MC and his wife/family. ???

We (the family) are still considering that this is a criminal matter in some way, shape or form. LE has not determined that to be the case, and I think they just want to say it's not to be done with it (similar to the Mark Hallman case where they stopped looking, although they have NOT found the same kinds of facts that they did in that case).

Argh! This frustrates me for you and your family. Papaw isn't old news! I've followed many cases on here and yes, some do drop off the radar. Something isn't sitting well with me about the lack of media coverage.

Have any specific reporters or media contacts responded with why they won't do a follow-up story?

Mostly they just need new news to give it air time. I suspect they may be willing to do a 6 month follow up, but can't say for sure. Hopefully we will have answers before that.

<modsnip>

Their marriage is very happy. Papaw loves her VERY much, and she loves him VERY much. They go on trips together (Mexico, Branson, Oklahoma, etc.) all the time. They each have their own hobbies of course, but that is normal. If you go to MY page, you won't see much of my husband, but that doesn't mean I don't love him or am not happy, etc.

She is so torn to pieces that even the thought of talking about it to someone outside the family causes visible shaking in her hands. The thought of having to keep it together while talking about Papaw's disappearance to the media is too much. She has called me asking me whether I thought she should give an interview when someone requests one, and the conversation starts with "yes! if you are up to it!" and ends with "shhhh, it's ok, don't worry about it, mom and my aunt can handle it." Just talking about it to ME gets her so stressed.

We (the family) are still considering that this is a criminal matter in some way, shape or form. LE has not determined that to be the case, and I think they just want to say it's not to be done with it (similar to the Mark Hallman case where they stopped looking, although they have NOT found the same kinds of facts that they did in that case).
In one of the comment sections on the FB page, a particular poster (May 10?) wrote something like:
They (The family) believes that the crime scene was contaminated and the police didn't do what they should have and are therefore "waiting" for something to happen.
He also alluded to the police possibly believing MC left on his own. Not sure who the poster is but his post was not deleted by the family.

Also, I believe it has been confirmed that Mr. Hallman left on his own.
Mr. Hallman was not a victim of any criminal activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member