Found Deceased TX - Michael Chambers, 70, Hunt County, 10 March 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a couple of points to make.

1. Just because nobody else's fingerprints inside shop that doesn't mean nobody was in his shop. Pretty simple to put on a pair of gloves, if you're a perp, to avoid leaving prints.

2. The fact that it was usual for him to wear a hat, but that he'd always take it off and put it in a certain spot when working in his shop, but his hat that he was wearing that day (as per Walmart videos) was not found in shop, says to me that he did not leave the shop under duress. And the fact, IMO, that the shop was locked up and light off inside, says to me that he was the one who locked up.

3. The small trail of blood on the floor in the shop leading up to the door could be insignificant to his disappearance. Small injuries (cut, poke, etc) to things like fingers can be pretty insignificant but can bleed a fair bit. Sometimes you poke or cut yourself and it doesn't initially even bleed and you don't even notice you're bleeding until you're walking around and see the blood.

4. PaPaw seems, like many of us, a creature of habit. Organized in his own way, everything in its place. His DL being missing from his wallet seems off to me. Even if someone stopped by and suggested going for a drink or to go look at a classic car, it doesn't seem realistic that he'd not just take his entire wallet. Easier to lose a loose DL card versus losing an entire wallet. For all we know maybe his DL was missing from his wallet for a period of time prior to his disappearance? Maybe in prior days he went somewhere and they asked to see his ID (DL) and they forgot to return his DL and he wasn't even aware that it was not returned to him. I'd be curious to know what type of wallet he has; was it the type where the DL would be stuck into one of many card slots or did it have a dedicated DL spot, the type with the clear plastic "window" (the former would mean it would be easier to not realize you didn't have your DL, the latter making it easier to see when opening your wallet that DL was missing).

5. Altho the neighbors claim that they didn't see any strange vehicles or anything amiss at his property. is it not possible that someone could have stopped by the home in a vehicle, been there only seconds, and neighbors wouldn't have seen?

6. Any past issues with any of the neighbors? Old grudges? Was he the type, if he had a run-in with a neighbor over something would he necessarily share that with his wife or family or just try to resolve it himself and not even mention it? It seems like he was the type to always lock things, routine habit, would even lock the house if out working in the shop. If someone hew knew/trusted popped by and claimed to need a hand with something, I could see him locking up the shop and leaving with them? Or what if someone didnt drive up onto the property under the guise of needing help, but walked onto it and up to the shop, would be much harder for a neighbor to see that would it not? Whether a neighbor, friend, stranger.

Excellent post!

*All statements are that of my own opinion unless otherwise specified.*

He did not just walk off imo.

Maybe the neighbors didn't see anything out of the ordinary bc it was someone who came there a lot. (?)

This scenario reminds me of my elderly parents. They wanted to sell some furniture that was retro, quite popular and worth about $6000 at the time. They told me that they wanted to sell it by putting an ad in the newspaper (they still read newspapers) and they'd have strangers coming and going inside their home. Well, I freaked the hell out and said NO WAY. NO way will you have strangers casing your home, seeing that you are old and vulnerable and have valuables. Oh hell no. I'll buy it. Case closed. NO AD IN THE NEWSPAPER for cryin out loud.

My point is I wonder if someone from the car community had something to do with this. Someone knew him and I agree someone surprised him and lured him to a car. There was no struggle bc he trusted this person/s imo

I feel for the family. He did not just walk off.

Ugh. Great points. It would, most certainly have to be someone who knows him and his habits. And that he would be alone at that time.

The one thing about this that bugs me is...the perp(s) would have made 2 trips to his home. For a well thought out plan, that was taking quite a chance of being seen at Pawpa's place.

But then again, if it was someone he knew, they probably knew when neighbors were gone and traffic on the road was minimal.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Yep, I agree. That part doesn't make much sense, and is a definite hole in my theory.

Also, our VI/his GD said:
"The neighbor's camera faced the street, but not with enough clarity to show anything other than a shape passing on the road (cars on that day, no pedestrians)."
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-County-10-March-2017&p=13340553#post13340553

How would anyone know the neighbor didn't have a better quality camera (and as you pointed out, that the neighbors would be gone, there would be little traffic, etc.)? Maybe the perp(s) got a rental car? Perhaps even if at home, neighbors weren't paying much attention because they were used to people stopping by at PaPaw's to look at cars, trade parts, etc.?

I just hate to think something like this could have happened because it would almost have to involve someone PaPaw was at least familiar with or maybe even trusted :(.

ETA: My theory also doesn't account for the blood found in the garage. Another hole there :confused:.

Yep, I agree. That part doesn't make much sense, and is a definite hole in my theory.

Also, our VI/his GD said:
"The neighbor's camera faced the street, but not with enough clarity to show anything other than a shape passing on the road (cars on that day, no pedestrians)."
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-County-10-March-2017&p=13340553#post13340553

How would anyone know the neighbor didn't have a better quality camera (and as you pointed out, that the neighbors would be gone, there would be little traffic, etc.)? Maybe the perp(s) got a rental car? Perhaps even if at home, neighbors weren't paying much attention because they were used to people stopping by at PaPaw's to look at cars, trade parts, etc.?

I just hate to think something like this could have happened because it would almost have to involve someone PaPaw was at least familiar with or maybe even trusted :(.

ETA: My theory also doesn't account for the blood found in the garage. Another hole there :confused:.
There has to be someone out there that knows something. And there has to be "tracks" left. No one is that smart to set up a foolproof disappearance. (Whether it's murder or leaving intentionally.)
Unless, of course, they are just dumb lucky. (And lucky doesn't
last forever).

The family is offering $25,000 for information re MC.

I think I'd revise that to:
$3000 to anyone providing credible information regarding the disappearance of MC.

I'd be leery of $25,000 thinking that's a lot of money for a tip and chances are I'll never see that money even if my tip is decent.

$3000 is a more reasonable # and they may receive more tips that way. And I'd make it easy for them to report the tip. It may be from someone who is already in some kind of trouble w/ law enforcement and who wants to expose themselves?

The family is offering $25,000 for information re MC.

I think I'd revise that to:
$3000 to anyone providing credible information regarding the disappearance of MC.

I'd be leery of $25,000 thinking that's a lot of money for a tip and chances are I'll never see that money even if my tip is decent.

$3000 is a more reasonable # and they may receive more tips that way. And I'd make it easy for them to report the tip. It may be from someone who is already in some kind of trouble w/ law enforcement and who wants to expose themselves?

Usually its a tip that leads to finding him, not just any old tip.

Usually its a tip that leads to finding him, not just any old tip.
Not any old tip but a credible tip that needs to be vetted first.

Not any old tip but a credible tip that needs to be vetted first.

It's vetted if it leads them to MC, I guess that's my point.

No payout would happen until say tip came in, LE followed that tip and found MC. Then and only then would the payout happen.

It's vetted if it leads them to MC, I guess that's my point.

No payout would happen until say tip came in, LE followed that tip and found MC. Then and only then would the payout happen.
Ok. Forget the $3000.

What if it takes a number of tips to locate him?

Tipster #1 Yeah, I saw so and so with a tall man wearing a ball cap and he didn't look happy.

Tipster 2: Yeah that was me. Some big older guy wanted a ride to
Dallas. I dropped him off in a neighborhood. He paid me in cash.

Tipster #3: Hmmmm, there was a guy in the neighborhood that didn't look like he belonged. I think he was with so and so.

Etc.

I realize this sounds very simplistic but that's how you develop reliable informants. Cash for info. They know you're good for the money and you know their tips are reliable.

If police in the area have good informants and this was a skullduggeris disappearance, these "informants" usually know what's going on in their area and will spill for cash. $25, $50 or whatever.

Ok. Forget the $3000.

What if it takes a number of tips to locate him?

Tipster #1 Yeah, I saw so and so with a tall man wearing a ball cap and he didn't look happy.

Tipster 2: Yeah that was me. Some big older guy wanted a ride to
Dallas. I dropped him off in a neighborhood. He paid me in cash.

Tipster #3: Hmmmm, there was a guy in the neighborhood that didn't look like he belonged. I think he was with so and so.

Etc.

I realize this sounds very simplistic but that's how you develop reliable informants. Cash for info. They know you're good for the money and you know their tips are reliable.

If police in the area have good informants and this was a skullduggeris disappearance, these "informants" usually know what's going on in their area and will spill for cash. $25, $50 or whatever.

Probably tipster 1 would get the cash because ultimately it was his original tip that lead them down the path. Tipster 2 didn't come forward until he was identified by 1 and so forth.

Cash for info seems more like paid informants that have "inside information" like drug deals etc.

BUT I don't know. That is just my thought:). You could be right.

Probably tipster 1 would get the cash because ultimately it was his original tip that lead them down the path. Tipster 2 didn't come forward until he was identified by 1 and so forth.

Cash for info seems more like paid informants that have "inside information" like drug deals etc.

BUT I don't know. That is just my thought:). You could be right.
I wonder if Quinlan's PD has money
budgeted for informants? If so, probably not a bunch. So use part of the $25,000 for that.

There are paid informants in all aspects of law enforcement that are not always directed at drug dealers
or about drugs. And informants aren't necessarily into drugs or drug dealers.

Sometimes it's someone who is willing to give a bit of info for a meal, or $25 bucks and up.

There has to be chatter out in the community or out in the car world about this.

Was PawPaw just a fireman or was he involved in determining arson cases, etc? I wonder if someone from his fireman days was upset with him and came looking for him?

Wondering if Papaw had any bad dealings with someone at a classic car show, auction, someone who wanted to buy one of his cars, someone he bought a car from, etc. Some people hold grudges that can last for years and that grudge and resulting animosity and need for vengence can fester over time.

Good question, too, by 806Mom re: whether he was ever involved with arson investigations.

Were search dogs brought in quickly? I think I recall reading here that search dogs did trace his scent to a neighbor's house but it was speculated that that was likely because he was known in the past to visit that neighbor so likely old scent from that.

I can't help but feel someone should be looking at the neighbors real good.

As this was his 2nd marriage, and I believe he had kids from 1st marriage, any old issues with his 1st wife or her family? grudges?

I'd be curious what the "talk around town" is......if there's any common speculation or rumors.

I wonder if Quinlan's PD has money
budgeted for informants? If so, probably not a bunch. So use part of the $25,000 for that.

There are paid informants in all aspects of law enforcement that are not always directed at drug dealers
or about drugs. And informants aren't necessarily into drugs or drug dealers.

Sometimes it's someone who is willing to give a bit of info for a meal, or $25 bucks and up.

There has to be chatter out in the community or out in the car world about this.

Money for publicized tips usually comes from the state's CrimeStoppers fund. That money comes from fundraising, membership fees, donations, and other means.

Money for "paid informants" usually comes from seized funds that resulted from other criminal activities. Funds from a budget or such aren't allowed to be used for payment for information.

On the note of informants, very few are actually paid using money. The majority of informants are criminals who are trying to "work off" charges they're facing, or as credit against a pending sentence. Occasionally, a well connected person who just wants to do good will filter information to LE. And there's always the low level riff raff that just wants to keep the cops from interrupting their own enterprise so they throw the police the occasional bone.

CrimeStoppers rewards are generally no more than $1,000. Occasionally, they can go up to a slightly higher amount for a highly public crime.

With a $25,000 reward, it's more than likely a collective amount contributed to by CrimeStoppers, local private citizens who know MC, and I'm betting the Dallas Fire Department in some capacity.

The key words for who a reward is paid out to are that the information "leads to the capture/arrest, and prosecution" of the responsible party. And rewards can be split among several individuals.

*All statements are that of my own opinion unless otherwise specified.*

I miss Los .
Bless his heart for starting all these threads. *sigh* tears . What a sweet man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member