TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest docket entry:

10/04/2022
APPLICATION FOR SUBPOENA
STATE: DOUGLAS R. DEATON

As a reminder:

“In his affidavit seeking arrest of Ms. Armstrong, Detective Spitler concocted a misogynistic and fictitious story portraying Ms. Armstrong as a jealous woman scorned by Mr. Strickland,” Cofer’s motion says.

In support of the motion, Cofer turned to Douglas R. Deaton, a retired Texas Peace Officer working as a private investigator and consultant. Cofer retained Deaton as an expert witness to analyze Spitler’s affidavit.

According to Deaton, the probable cause affidavit contains multiple inaccuracies that undermine its credibility.

Dartmouth is an Ivy League School.
She was beautiful & SMART
I think maybe comments on people's looks should have an IMO with them, since beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and mostly pertains to women, so it runs the risk of coming from a sexist frame.

In this case, I have a sense that KA might have compared herself to MW as far as appearance, and that might be an important factor in the murder. But that's a KA-specific viewpoint which others might disagree with. Jealousy seems to be a key motivating piece in this murder: all that matters, though, is what was going on in KA's mind, not what other people think about how MW looks.

So, IMO we have to be careful with beauty as a "fact", though it might be a major psychological motive in this case.

I think maybe comments on people's looks should have an IMO with them, since beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and mostly pertains to women, so it runs the risk of coming from a sexist frame.

In this case, I have a sense that KA might have compared herself to MW as far as appearance, and that might be an important factor in the murder. But that's a KA-specific viewpoint which others might disagree with. Jealousy seems to be a key motivating piece in this murder: all that matters, though, is what was going on in KA's mind, not what other people think about how MW looks.

So, IMO we have to be careful with beauty as a "fact", though it might be a major psychological motive in this case.
Hi RSF,
Sorry, my post point was honestly ..
WOW, she went to Dartmouth!
And BEAUTY, IMO beauty shines in so many ways other than genetic..kindness, inspiration, humor, strength, drive, positive attitude, selflessness, etc.
I do agree with you & think there was a possible under current of KA -competing- with Mo. Being lied to by your B/F did not help.
It’s sad that sometimes we can’t realize a- season- in our life is just that.
This too shall pass.
If only.

MOO

My thoughts exactly! He agreed to be interviewed on the show, instead of saying no comment, and no I won’t appear on camera. But there he was, on camera, blabbering away to the court of public opinion.

Does anyone know what was decided in court today? Been awhile since I’ve checked up on this case.

Ricky
@RickyG_TV

Happening Now: Kaitlin Armstrong is expected to be inside a Travis County court room. Both sides right now are expected to hash out a motion to "prohibit prejudicial comment to media." There's also the possibility of moving the trial venue due to the popularity of the case.
10:54 AM · Oct 19, 2022

@RickyG_TV

No cameras are allowed inside but we do have a reporter there. I'll share any updates
10:54 AM · Oct 19, 2022

@RickyG_TV

Armstrong's attorneys say her trial will be unfair due to the media attention the case has received. All local, national and even Dateline have covered it.
11:04 AM · Oct 19, 2022·

@RickyG_TV

The trial was set to start this month but the judge said in August that's unlikely due to these motions.
11:04 AM · Oct 19, 2022·

Updated: 6:14 PM CDT October 19, 2022

Video news report from TCC at link -- motion hearing in progress:

10/19/22

In Wednesday’s hearing, Armstrong’s attorney questioned two police detective who interviewed the 34-year-old woman days after the shooting. Armstrong was brought in for questioning from a previous misdemeanor of theft of service.

It was revealed authorities thought the birthdate was incorrect on the warrant, so they let Armstrong go. Later, it was discovered that the birthday was, in fact, correct.

The hearing Wednesday was procedural and focused on the arrest warrant originally filed by Richard Spitler, the lead homicide detective on Wilson’s murder case.

Armstrong’s defense team filed a Frank’s Motion – a legal proceeding when a court is asked to determine whether a police officer or detective lied in pursuing a search warrant.

They alleged that Spilter had reckless disregard for the truth when filing the arrest warrant that allowed police to arrest Armstrong, and that he intentionally left out crucial information in the document.

“Just be crystal clear, everything in that affidavit is true?” Rick Cofer, one of Armstrong’s defense attorneys, asked while questioning Spilter.

“Yes sir,” Spitler replied.

The State Attorney showed a video of the interview where Strickland was in the fetal position in the corner at one point when APD was questioning him about Wilson.

“Collin Strictland (sic) was a ball on a floor… He was told that he was the last man seen alive with (Wilson),” one of the State’s attorneys said.

Conversely, he said, Armstrong had just been informed that a woman from their community had been murdered.

“And she was as cool as the other side of the pillow,” he said.

ETA: added sic - article misspelling of CS name

The State Attorney showed a video of the interview where Strickland was in the fetal position in the corner at one point when APD was questioning him about Wilson.

“Collin Strictland was a ball on a floor… He was told that he was the last man seen alive with (Wilson),” one of the State’s attorneys said.

Conversely, he said, Armstrong had just been informed that a woman from their community had been murdered.

“And she was as cool as the other side of the pillow,” he said.

Sounds about right.... JMO

I’m new here, but honestly, why the insistence on using IMO and MOO following each thought? Seems we could optimize by doing away with the obvious. After all, it’s an internet message board, everything is an opinion only, right?

I’m new here, but honestly, why the insistence on using IMO and MOO following each thought? Seems we could optimize by doing away with the obvious. After all, it’s an internet message board, everything is an opinion only, right?

Welcome to WS! Typically the reason for that is to make clear that the statement is not "factual" (in which case a link would need to be provided).

Information stated as fact must be supported by a link to a mainstream media or law enforcement source (or other WS approved source) to substantiate the fact, otherwise the post will be removed, along with all responses to it. If the information is only your opinion, please make that clear in your post so that opinions do not become rumors attributed to Websleuths as the source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrskrash2012