TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m new here, but honestly, why the insistence on using IMO and MOO following each thought? Seems we could optimize by doing away with the obvious. After all, it’s an internet message board, everything is an opinion only, right?
If only citing MSM or LE - which IMO should involve all quoted material being clearly marked with quotation marks, coloring the text, italics, etc. to make it clear the words are not the member's - no IMO, JMO or MOO are necessary. I frequently start reading a post only to discover the words are a quote from a cited article not the thoughts of the member posting. I find that frustrating.

When one is only expressing an opinion or pontificating on a link one has shared, the MOO type of clarification is helpful since distinguishing between fact and opinion is important IMO.

Not every member is careful to post in a manner that is clear enough to distinguish quotes, facts & opinions. Many just add the MOO type of disclaimer so they are "covered" so to speak.

I get your point but people communicate in different ways in this forum. We have to scroll & roll because policing writing behavior unless needing clarity to be able to respond to a post will be endless. Endless.

After you have been on the forum a while, you will find that even the most redundant & poorly expressed posts sometimes offer insight.

Other than mods, there is no one to monitor, clean up posts, add clarity, etc. And the mods are mostly overworked volunteers.

I have a journalism background & get frustrated by "the construction" of many posts that I find enlightening at the same time. With time, I hope you will too!

JMO (lol)

ETA: The TOS state that opinion should be clearly marked with these abbreviations so that is one reason they are ubiquitous.

Last edited:
I’m new here, but honestly, why the insistence on using IMO and MOO following each thought? Seems we could optimize by doing away with the obvious. After all, it’s an internet message board, everything is an opinion only, right?
Welcome to WS @billyzkid!

Actually, unlike an internet message board, WS is a fact-based forum where MSM links authorized by WS are required, and opinions shared on the main thread are based on factual information and not social media or internet rumors. I don't doubt you'll soon appreciate a forum free of rumors and conspiracies. :)

I wonder if KA recognized the caller’s voice?

Also in court for the first time, a recording was played, in full and on the record, of a call from an anonymous tipster who claimed Armstrong told her that after she learned of a tryst between Wilson and Strickland, she wanted "to kill her, actually kill her."

Last edited:

Published October 20, 2022 1:01pm EDT

Armstrong flew to New York May 14 and on to Costa Rica four days later. Austin detectives obtained a murder warrant for her arrest May 17 – relying on a probable cause statement, which Cofer is also asking the court to throw out based on multiple alleged deficiencies that meant it was written with "reckless disregard for the truth."

Prosecutors defended the probable cause statement Wednesday and shot down some of his criticisms in court, including claims that the affidavit failed to identify a location of the crime and that time stamps in surveillance video had been unverified.

[..]

Cofer is also asking the court to suppress Conner’s initial interview with Armstrong, arguing that Austin police violated her constitutional rights by continuing to question her after she said she would like to leave.

[..]

In August, Judge Brenda Kennedy approved a gag order on the case, prohibiting all parties from making "any comment regarding, assessing, or characterizing any fact of the case" or the proceedings to the media.

[..]

Kennedy did not rule on Cofer’s motions to suppress Wednesday. The parties are due back in court Monday at 10 a.m.

Published October 20, 2022 1:01pm EDT

Armstrong flew to New York May 14 and on to Costa Rica four days later. Austin detectives obtained a murder warrant for her arrest May 17 – relying on a probable cause statement, which Cofer is also asking the court to throw out based on multiple alleged deficiencies that meant it was written with "reckless disregard for the truth."

Prosecutors defended the probable cause statement Wednesday and shot down some of his criticisms in court, including claims that the affidavit failed to identify a location of the crime and that time stamps in surveillance video had been unverified.

[..]

Cofer is also asking the court to suppress Conner’s initial interview with Armstrong, arguing that Austin police violated her constitutional rights by continuing to question her after she said she would like to leave.

[..]

In August, Judge Brenda Kennedy approved a gag order on the case, prohibiting all parties from making "any comment regarding, assessing, or characterizing any fact of the case" or the proceedings to the media.

[..]

Kennedy did not rule on Cofer’s motions to suppress Wednesday. The parties are due back in court Monday at 10 a.m.
Also from the article -

Under questioning from Armstrong’s defense attorney, Rick Cofer, Conner conceded that the 35-year-old was allowed to leave the state, and even the country after her May 12 interview.

Armstrong flew to New York May 14 and on to Costa Rica four days later. Austin detectives obtained a murder warrant for her arrest May 17 . . .

Last Wednesday, the defense team and Texas state attorneys cross-examined 2 detectives involved in Wilson's murder investigation — Richard Spitler, the author of the arrest warrant affidavit and the lead homicide detective on Wilson’s murder case. Katy Conner, another homicide detective who assisted Spitler, was also questioned.

There will be one more witness called to testify this morning at 10 a.m.

The trial of Kaitlin Armstrong, the woman accused of killing Vermont pro-cyclist Anna Moriah “Mo” Wilson, is expected to start Monday.

will this trial be streamed or how can we follow it

From the Court site, it appears there was a motion by one of the parties for a continuance today but the request was denied.

10/24/2022

MTN:FOR CONTINUANCE

10/24/2022

ORD:FOR CONTINUANCE

DENIED

And the next hearing on Nov 9, 2022:

11/09/2022
Pretrial With Witness (11:15 AM) (Judicial Officer: 403RD, DISTRICT COURT)

Last edited:

The trial of Kaitlin Armstrong, the woman accused of killing Vermont pro-cyclist Anna Moriah “Mo” Wilson, is expected to start Monday.

The story has gone "poof". I think they didn't realize the original October 24th trial start date that was set way back in the summer has been pushed.

Douglas Deaton was the witness to testify Monday. Armstrong’s defense team hired him to review the probable cause arrest warrant. His testimony concluded this pre-trial hearing.

District Judge Brenda Kennedy will announce Nov. 9 if the defense was successful in convincing the court that Spitler used reckless disregard for the truth in writing the arrest warrant affidavit. If they were, some of the evidence, including the video of the initial interview between Conner and Armstrong, will be cast aside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken