TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
<snipped for focus>

I agree, but it reads to me more like hagiograhy that news. JMO.
It is. But this is how he views the world. Did you ever listen to his interview? In a droll voice, he talks about own eating, in minute details and small portions. ))

From a random Texas lawyer's web site:

"Texas Penal Code Chapter 19, concerning criminal homicide, holds that such 'sudden passion' means 'passion directly caused by and arising out of provocation by the individual killed or another acting with the person killed which passion arises at the time of the offense and is not solely the result of former provocation.'

The law also holds that such passion must be due to 'adequate cause'. This means a 'cause that would commonly produce a degree of anger, rage, resentment, or terror in a person of ordinary temper, sufficient to render the mind incapable of cool reflection.'"
I always wonder why rage/passion because one's partner is cheating often results in harm or stalking or murder of the person their partner cheated with. Make no sense to me. Jmo. Jme.

I always wonder why rage/passion because one's partner is cheating often results in harm or stalking or murder of the person their partner cheated with. Make no sense to me. Jmo. Jme.
Emotional immaturity. Grownups who have learned to manage their emotions own their choices. They don't displace their anger in unhealthy & dangerous ways. Unfortunately many among us do not mature enough to prevent themselves from becoming a threat to those close to them & to society at large.
MOO

(To paraphrase Maurice Druon's in his "Accursed Kings"). The reason holding one in an invested-into, failing relationship, is exactly the same that stops a gambler from standing up from a card table, with the words, "I have already lost everything. Time to leave".

Some relationships are an addiction, and in that realm, crimes are uncommon. We are hooked on our memories, emotional investments and failed expectations.

Armstrong got home at around 9:20 p.m., and she found Strickland in his garage, setting up new wheels to use in the race. She was wearing yoga clothes and carried a yoga mat. She didn’t ask him where he’d been, and didn’t mention that she’d been trying to get in touch. They went inside. He poured himself a glass of rye and sat at the kitchen table. She asked him to pour her one, too.

Friends of mine familiar with the events of that night told me that Armstrong then approached Strickland and initiated sex, and she was rough and dominating. They were regularly intimate, but this forcefulness was unusual. Strickland didn’t mind it at the time, but later, in the wake of Wilson’s death and Armstrong’s murder charge, he would feel traumatized by memories of the experience.

Ugh. I think I’m also traumatized by that last tid bit of information. Did the public really need to know those very intimate details? Good Lord.

Ugh. I think I’m also traumatized by that last tid bit of information. Did the public really need to know those very intimate details? Good Lord.

The public doesn’t know them, so personally, I couldn’t have cared less. However, the family of Mo, surely, doesn’t need to know how on that very night…but poor CS, who got so traumatized by it all, can’t keep his moth shut.

The fact that she went from the coffee shop meeting, sold her jeep and flew to NYC is going to be very difficult for the defence to explain.

I get the strategy is to challenge all the evidence and claim she panicked and went on the run because she feared she was being set up for the murder, but the evidence CS will give of that morning, their discussions and the coffee shop meeting don't seem to square with that.

I do wonder, if the killer's plan was not to frame CS for the murder? She didn't realise that the time of drop off would be so accurately recorded, meaning there was not enough time for CS to enter the house, do the murder and leave. But she had to have thought he would be the main suspect?

Initially, the Austin police considered Strickland a suspect in Wilson’s death. But video evidence showed him riding his motorcycle home along Interstate 35 at 8:48 p.m. Because Strickland was eight miles from the scene of the crime just 12 minutes after dropping Moriah off, the police considered his story credible.

I do wonder, if the killer's plan was not to frame CS for the murder? She didn't realise that the time of drop off would be so accurately recorded, meaning there was not enough time for CS to enter the house, do the murder and leave. But she had to have thought he would be the main suspect?
I don't think it was rationally planned.

The fact that she went from the coffee shop meeting, sold her jeep and flew to NYC is going to be very difficult for the defence to explain.

I get the strategy is to challenge all the evidence and claim she panicked and went on the run because she feared she was being set up for the murder, but the evidence CS will give of that morning, their discussions and the coffee shop meeting don't seem to square with that.
I don't think CS's testimony will be very helpful to the prosecution. He lied about so many things that the defense will have no trouble discrediting him upon cross examination.

that tidbit, while disgusting to share publicly, definitely adds to the depravity and might help secure a less lenient sentence.
Was only needed for jurors though..
Moo!

Lots of calling out for Outside to remove the Ian Dille piece. Key violations of journalism include:
  1. The story should have never been assigned to a friend of CS in the first place.
  2. ID waited until the 28th paragraph to reveal his relationship with CS.
  3. Even with the mentioning of #2, it was referenced casually, and this is not the way disclosures are done.
  4. Over-sensationalizing some details.
It keeps getting promoted, however, so I'm sure Outside management is enjoying the click revenue. A seasoned editor would have caught all of the things above but it's possible that (a) Outside doesn't have any of them anymore because of cutbacks and (b) they don't care about journalism anymore.

Although it was uneasy to read, and ID appeared to be giving CS a platform (e.g. CS perspective on feminism and gun ownership), I did find interest in some of the information/background that I hadn't seen before (Austin-area references, Arkansas meetings, and the fugitive days of KA in Costa Rica). It's just unfortunate that it wasn't written by an independent journalist with no ties to those involved.

Someday post-trial, an accomplished author will take on the subject and do it correctly.

Lots of calling out for Outside to remove the Ian Dille piece. Key violations of journalism include:
  1. The story should have never been assigned to a friend of CS in the first place.
  2. ID waited until the 28th paragraph to reveal his relationship with CS.
  3. Even with the mentioning of #2, it was referenced casually, and this is not the way disclosures are done.
  4. Over-sensationalizing some details.
It keeps getting promoted, however, so I'm sure Outside management is enjoying the click revenue. A seasoned editor would have caught all of the things above but it's possible that (a) Outside doesn't have any of them anymore because of cutbacks and (b) they don't care about journalism anymore.

Although it was uneasy to read, and ID appeared to be giving CS a platform (e.g. CS perspective on feminism and gun ownership), I did find interest in some of the information/background that I hadn't seen before (Austin-area references, Arkansas meetings, and the fugitive days of KA in Costa Rica). It's just unfortunate that it wasn't written by an independent journalist with no ties to those involved.

Someday post-trial, an accomplished author will take on the subject and do it correctly.

"Outside" is a Magazine publication from Boulder, CO, and shouldn't be read for content adhering to professional news journalism.

The TOS doesn't pretend the content is intended for anything more than outdoor interests and entertainment purposes and makes no commitment to update such content. JMO

What's the source for "lots calling out to remove the story?"

Last edited:
"Outside" is a Magazine publication from Boulder, CO, and shouldn't be read for content adhering to professional news journalism.

The TOS doesn't pretend the content is intended for anything more than outdoor interests and entertainment purposes and makes no commitment to update such content. JMO

What's the source for "lots calling out to remove the story?"
RBBM
Reddit for one. Haven't looked at criticism on Twitter but it's cited as another source. Dille isn't getting much respect. Too bad we can't bring some of the biting commentary here.
JMO

RBBM
Reddit for one. Haven't looked at criticism on Twitter but it's cited as another source. Dille isn't getting much respect. Too bad we can't bring some of the biting commentary here.
JMO
Thanks.

Reader comments at the Foxnews link up thread (that recapped Outside) are pretty benign. I don't recall that Outside had a comment section.

Somewhat ironic Reddit considered the credible source to cite professional journalism standards! JMO

Thanks.

Reader comments at the Foxnews link up thread (that recapped Outside) are pretty benign. I don't recall that Outside had a comment section.

Somewhat ironic Reddit considered the credible source to cite professional journalism standards! JMO
I don't know the magazine's historical credibility but any "insider" report on this biker community tragedy will be slanted.

Just add "opinion" to the byline & you can print almost anything IMO. That didn't happen here.

I do agree the proviso re: the author's friendship with CS should have been noted by the 2nd paragraph.

It was really mostly a rehash. I guess journalistic standards being what they are fits a CS hagiography pretty well!

MOO

Last edited:
I don't know the magazine's historical credibility but any "insider" report on this biker community tragedy will be slanted.

Just add "opinion" to the byline & you can print almost anything IMO. That didn't happen here.

I do agree the proviso re: the author's friendship with CS should have been noted by the 2nd paragraph.

It was really mostly a rehash. I guess journalistic standards being what they fits a CS hagiography pretty well!

MOO
Just a shorter version/recap of the Outside Mag novella!
I read M Ruiz's version/recap where it was readily known:

The new details emerged in an Outside magazine article published this week, written by a cyclist journalist who noted he is friends with Strickland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member