TX TX - Samantha Broberg, 33, missing from Carnival cruise ship, 13 May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
FBI Investigates Death of Texas Mom Who Went Overboard on Carnival Cruise Ship

...The FBI's coordination with Carnival is standard procedure in a case like this, Special Agent Shauna Dunlap, a spokesperson for the FBI's Houston office, tells PEOPLE.

"We get called in whenever there is a death that occurs that is uncertain in how it occurred," says Dunlap. "The FBI is coordinating with Carnival on an ongoing death investigation."

A spokesperson for Carnival tells PEOPLE, "There is no foul play suspected here. Absolutely not." ...

http://www.people.com/article/fbi-joins-investigation-mom-fell-off-carnival-cruise

Same article

Dunlap of the FBI would not comment on whether foul play is suspected. "That will be answered by the ongoing investigation. Until we have a chance to complete a thorough investigation, we wouldn't be able to comment at this time."

Same article

Dunlap of the FBI would not comment on whether foul play is suspected. "That will be answered by the ongoing investigation. Until we have a chance to complete a thorough investigation, we wouldn't be able to comment at this time."

Of course Carnival would say there was nothing suspected lol. hilarious that they think they know more than the FBI

If the FBI really believed that SB was a victim of foul play, every passenger onboard the Carnival Liberty would have been detained and questioned before disembarkation. There are no reports of passengers other than Ms. Broberg's travel companions having been questioned by Carnival officials or FBI investigators. The search for the missing passenger was eventually called off, the ship continued its 4-night itinerary, and passengers disembarked the ship as scheduled when they returned to port. SB was presumed lost at sea and likely deceased. I feel that this was an unfortunate accident. :moo:

This is a great site to monitor cruise events:

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

I like this site for maritime legal information: http://www.cruiselawnews.com/

Looks like another "man overboard" incident recently.

Passenger Goes Overboard from Coral Princess

Posted on May 15, 2016 by Jim Walker

On the heels of the passenger going overboard yesterday from the Carnival Liberty, I have learned from several passengers on the Coral Princess that a passenger went overboard from the Princess cruise ship on May 11th.

A passenger on the Coral Princess tweeted earlier this week:

"Captain of the Coral Princess, my home away from home, advised that a male of Russian origin jumped overboard yesterday AM."

According to this article:
http://www.ship-technology.com/feat...ction-tech-be-fitted-on-cruise-ships-4583685/

"out of more than 22 million cruise passengers in 2014, there were 18 overboard incidents, or about one for every 1.25 million passengers."

That's a 0.00001% MOB rate.

Also according to that article, there are quite a few technical problems related to the MOB detection systems:
"the industry body listed nearly a dozen obstacles to the reliability of MOB detection systems including salt corrosion or encrustation on camera lenses, surface glare from the water, the pitch and yaw of a ship, extreme weather, vessel vibration and a continually changing horizon."

Further:
"Testing of various MOB technologies has shown an unacceptably high rate of false-positives, which can negatively affect a ship's safety culture by unnecessarily diverting the attention of crew and creating expectations of an alarm being false."

The article doesn't state what the false-positive rates are. But a false-positive rate of even 0.0001% would result in 10 times as many false positives (false MOBs) as real ones. That certainly would result in a widespread expectation that any given MOB alert is a false one. I'm going to run some numbers based on a made-up 0.0001% false positive rate:

With about 20 actual MOBs per year, a 0.0001% false positive rate would mean about 200 false MOBs per year -- or about 200 cruises every year interrupted and disrupted for false MOBs. At about 3,000 passengers per cruise ship, times 200 false MOBs = 600,000 cruise passengers having their cruises disrupted due to false MOBs every year.

All of that, in an effort to stop drunk people from being stupid and to keep suicidal people from killing themselves.

Call me heartless, but frankly, I think sometimes we have to let Darwin do his thing.

I found a blog post from someone who was on the cruise and it made me cry. I can't imagine how the crew and passengers felt trying to find her and then knowing what happened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you share?

I like this site for maritime legal information: http://www.cruiselawnews.com/

Looks like another "man overboard" incident recently.

Passenger Goes Overboard from Coral Princess

Posted on May 15, 2016 by Jim Walker

On the heels of the passenger going overboard yesterday from the Carnival Liberty, I have learned from several passengers on the Coral Princess that a passenger went overboard from the Princess cruise ship on May 11th.

A passenger on the Coral Princess tweeted earlier this week:

"Captain of the Coral Princess, my home away from home, advised that a male of Russian origin jumped overboard yesterday AM."

Now if you REALLY want to go into the rabbit hole of cruise deaths, check these out: http://www.cruiseshipdeaths.com/

Of course Carnival would say there was nothing suspected lol. hilarious that they think they know more than the FBI

I'm thinking the FBI doesn't want to give an official statement until the investigation is complete is all.

Accidents DO happen...

Here's what doesn't make sense to me: Carnival said they have video of Samantha climbing up on the railing, briefly sitting down and then
falling off backwards. However, the video only shows her falling off. Why didn't they release the first part showing her climbing up onto the railing? ( alone)

Here's what doesn't make sense to me: Carnival said they have video of Samantha climbing up on the railing, briefly sitting down and then
falling off backwards. However, the video only shows her falling off. Why didn't they release the first part showing her climbing up onto the railing? ( alone)

Have you seen video of SB's fall? I didn't think it had been released yet as the FBI investigation continues. Can you provide a link? Thanks.

Have you seen video of SB's fall? I didn't think it had been released yet as the FBI investigation continues. Can you provide a link? Thanks.

I use a MAC and I don't know how to link, but I can tell you where I found it. But since my last post, I have made a very interesting observation. I was
reading back through the previous post about Sarah Kirby. I didn't see the video of her falling but I saw a few still shots. I'm curious as if someone has
remade Sarah's video and renamed it as being Samantha Broberg. The link is: viral-videos.today.

I use a MAC and I don't know how to link, but I can tell you where I found it. But since my last post, I have made a very interesting observation. I was
reading back through the previous post about Sarah Kirby. I didn't see the video of her falling but I saw a few still shots. I'm curious as if someone has
remade Sarah's video and renamed it as being Samantha Broberg. The link is.

Uh, this site contains a lot of NSFW material and looks sketchy as heck. (I removed the url from my quote.) And yes, multiple commenters call out the video as fake.

Uh, this site contains a lot of NSFW material and looks sketchy as heck. (I removed the url from my quote.) And yes, multiple commenters call out the video as fake.

Just the url by itself looks sketchy enough... plus logic will have MSM all over that video if it was real. If something like this isn't on the big outfits you can be certain it's not out there.

Can you please tell us where you found the video?

Sorry - Didn't see the link there. :(

Great point

Great point

It's not really a great point.

1) No video has been released so we don't know what it shows.

2) Video could be from a camera on the outside of the ship, or otherwise placed at a location that only caught the fall, not activity on the deck.

It's not really a great point.

1) No video has been released so we don't know what it shows.

2) Video could be from a camera on the outside of the ship, or otherwise placed at a location that only caught the fall, not activity on the deck.

Platespinner's point is great because although no video has been released yet all the media and police speak about is the part where the video shows her falling. IF there was nothing suspicious about any of this they would show the whole 100% thing and talk about how everything happened more precisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419