Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #6 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
K-9 Handlers Who Found Sherin Mathews Share Their Story

~snip
Sunday, five pairs of volunteers and dogs from MARK9 responded to another request from Richardson police to search for Sherin again. Searchers say the weather conditions were ideal. Overnight rain along with a breezy and humid morning helped dogs pick up the scent.

One K-9 led her handler to a field north of the Mathews home and eventually to the culvert where investigators found the small child's body.

"She started doing it from a long way off, and it wasn't an area she was supposed to be looking in, but that's how it concluded," said Seevers, of the K-9's path. "She found her way there. One of the things we have to do is we have to believe in them and she took us there."
~snip

More at link:
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/K-...?_osource=SocialFlowFB_DFWBrand#ixzz4wiL5aNCb

I'm late to the thread, but not to following the story. There's not many worse tragedies than what happened to this child.

How I wish I could cradle this precious baby in my arms, and could have kept her safe, far away from the agony she endured!

Thank you for this link. It's so encouraging to read of such inspiring individuals as these dog handlers who are all volunteers working for this nonprofit search and rescue team.

I'm in such awe of all the personal sacrifice that goes into the countless hours of training of these dogs.

From the link too, it states the team responds to calls from law enforcement at all hours.

Again, so much personal sacrifice by these people. Talk about unsung heroes!

Not to mention too the incredible, hard-working dogs.

Reading this gives me something to be grateful for in this situation, as I dwell on the devastating reason they were needed in the first place..

JMO

They can even follow a scent if a person was moved in a car! Remember, that was done in the Laci Peterson trial?
Wait, really?! They can follow the outdoor scent trail of a body that was carried in a car?! Holy. My dog is an underachiever.

This is weird, to be honest. I’ve dealt with children and eating issues due to employment at a daycare-preschool. When a child had food issues it was 24/7. It didn’t go away due to location UNLESS it was a mental issue.

RSBM.

Having been an extremely picky kid whose first 12 years or so involved an ongoing, epic battle of wills with my mother over eating, I wonder if any physical feeding issues Sherin had as a baby were in fact resolved, only to be replaced by a different type of food issue: Toddler Mealtime Rebellion. If Sherin was as well-nourished as she looked in recent pictures, she may well have overcome the fear of starvation several of you mentioned upthread and started throwing a fit anytime her parents tried to get yet another bottle of protein shake down her. After a while it can become less about not actually wanting to eat and more about winning the fight; Mom told me that she once sent me to my room after an hours-long battle over some chicken I didn't want to eat, only to check on me later and discover that I'd fallen asleep -- with a well-chewed wad of chicken in my jaw. She could make me chew, by god, but she couldn't make me swallow.

In that context the comment about Sherin liking to eat outside of home, but not at home sounded awfully familiar to me.

Could she still be missing the orphanage? maybe she hasn't been able to bond with the new parents and that may have been her reluctance in eating. I know when I was younger (kidney disease) and they would bring me hospital food, I refused so the nurses would allow my parents to bring food up the back stairs to me or the nurses would go down to the kitchen at night and make me a milkshake so I would take my medicine. They wanted to make sure I had something in my system. I was extremely shy and scared about being in hospitals.

This is what I don’t get either, she left the orphanage eating and drinking normally and then this... It just doesn’t make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't understand the question. No one said she couldn't eat or drink normally it did I miss something?

What was stated was that she was underweight, right?

IIRC, it was the pediatricians suggestion that they give her ensure to help up her calories. Even that adoption check suggested they didn't want her to develop eating issues.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My daughter was always in the upper percentiles for growth. From one to three years old, she ate everything offered, just your normal family meals. Between three and four, she requested pepperoni, cheese and bread and butter every night. I gave it to her because I didn't want emotional issues to be attached to food, but I was concerned about nutrition. I asked our family doctor if I should be giving her a supplement or refusing her choices. He said, "She's fine. Do you think she should be eating a salad every night?" At four, she returned to eating a variety of foods although she had by this time discovered McNuggets and fries and requested that meal far more often than she actually ate it.

I'm not discounting the information about adopted children often having eating issues. That may well be the case here. All I am saying is that making their own choices is one way children assert their growing independence and preferring the same thing over and over or preferring fast food to mom's home cooking is not unusual. I just wonder if the parents started out being genuinely concerned about her nutrition but managed to turn meals into a constant struggle by being too rigid. I think maybe it was a control issue for the father, and his anger led to Sherin's death. All MOO

Each time I hear about Sherin and eating difficulties I think back to what my mother told me. I was the only child of older parents. She used to tell me I was a "terrible" eater. If there was a food that I would eat my parents would make sure there was plenty of it. Of course, by that time it was no longer something I wanted. She mentioned it to the pediatrician who wisely told her he had never seen a child willingly starve themselves, back off and I would be fine. (Note this was back in the late 50's, that school of thought has probably changed, by now) As a child I was always smaller than the other kids. That was the "norm" for me. Obviously I didn't starve to death and am still here to tell the story. I have always been a person that eats when I'm hungry not necessarily because it's "meal time". Just a thought on Sherin's "eating problems".

My mother actually took my brother to the doctor when he was like three or four because he hadn't eaten in several days. He was a small child with asthma and allergies so she was worried about him. The doctor told her that when he got hungry enough he would eat-and he did. He continued to go through periods like this throughout his childhood and every time the doctor said the same thing and also said that the bigger deal she made of it the worse it would be. One day it just stopped. Of course, this was in the 70's.

Wait, really?! They can follow the outdoor scent trail of a body that was carried in a car?! Holy. My dog is an underachiever.

Yes, they can. They are called air trailing scent dogs I believe. They used them in Laci's case and they even had dogs hit at the dock of the bay where SP took her out and disposed of her body. They also have dogs that can be taken out in water on boats and they can detect human bodies below the surface of the water.

They are truly amazing animals no matter which scent is their specialty.

Can someone explain who Father Thomas is in relation to the family? I believe that was the person interviewed who made several assumptions in regards to her body. Is that their church pastor or just someone in the community. Apparently he is petitioning to obtain the body for burial. It seems very odd to me.

http://cw33.com/2017/10/25/community-wants-sherin-mathews-body-to-not-go-back-to-the-family/amp/

Father Thomas is not associated with the family's church IIRC. By all appearances he is someone who has inserted himself into the saga and has been declaring since the beginning that Sini knows what happened and refuses to tell.

As re: his current online petition (which probably has the legal equivalence of an opinion poll), there are two issues I see. One is that anyone can hold a memorial service for anyone. That requires no authority or permission whatsoever. Apparently one has already been held in India (saw a pic in one of the Indian news articles). Possession/burial of the body, however, is a different matter, and I cannot see how he, regardless how many online signatures he amasses would have any standing whatsoever. Not to mention the remains are not likely to be released prior to the completion of the autopsy. If I'm wrong about that, please correct me.

IMO there appear to have been a good many people lovingly involved in Sherin's life beyond her parents. If there is some determination to disallow her mother from making arrangements, I would sincerely hope that her own church/pastor and extended family would be allowed to take the lead.

I think they can pick up the residual scent left in the car, not that they can follow after the car and go where it went.

I'm led to believe that a lot of eating disorders stem from a sense of a lack of control. So you take tight control of something over which you do have ultimate control - like eating or indeed talking.

I think they can pick up the residual scent left in the car, not that they can follow after the car and go where it went.

No, they can follow after the car and go where it went! It is truly amazing!

Each time I hear about Sherin and eating difficulties I think back to what my mother told me. I was the only child of older parents. She used to tell me I was a "terrible" eater. If there was a food that I would eat my parents would make sure there was plenty of it. Of course, by that time it was no longer something I wanted. She mentioned it to the pediatrician who wisely told her he had never seen a child willingly starve themselves, back off and I would be fine. (Note this was back in the late 50's, that school of thought has probably changed, by now) As a child I was always smaller than the other kids. That was the "norm" for me. Obviously I didn't starve to death and am still here to tell the story. I have always been a person that eats when I'm hungry not necessarily because it's "meal time". Just a thought on Sherin's "eating problems".

As a child I was also a picky eater but no one ever forced me to eat. Now 70 + years later I'm overweight by 15-20 lbs. I also baby sat a little boy & all he ever wanted to eat was red jello & chocolate milk. I talked to his mom about it & she told me not to worry that when he got hungry enough he would eat. Sure enough he is now a 60 year old overweight person. Of course neither of us came from a traumatic background & I'm guessing that made a huge difference.

My daughter was always in the upper percentiles for growth. From one to three years old, she ate everything offered, just your normal family meals. Between three and four, she requested pepperoni, cheese and bread and butter every night. I gave it to her because I didn't want emotional issues to be attached to food, but I was concerned about nutrition. I asked our family doctor if I should be giving her a supplement or refusing her choices. He said, "She's fine. Do you think she should be eating a salad every night?" At four, she returned to eating a variety of foods although she had by this time discovered McNuggets and fries and requested that meal far more often than she actually ate it.

I'm not discounting the information about adopted children often having eating issues. That may well be the case here. All I am saying is that making their own choices is one way children assert their growing independence and preferring the same thing over and over or preferring fast food to mom's home cooking is not unusual. I just wonder if the parents started out being genuinely concerned about her nutrition but managed to turn meals into a constant struggle by being too rigid. I think maybe it was a control issue for the father, and his anger led to Sherin's death. All MOO

I used to work at a summer camp. From time to time we would get a parent explaining to us that their child wouldn't eat such as such. Basically we accommodated certain things (the occasional vegetarian, for instance, or bona fide food allergies), but we were not one of those camps that kept peanut butter and jelly (probably something other than peanut butter these days) on every table as the fall back for kids who didn't like what was on the menu. Never saw a kid go hungry.

While I have known the occasional aversive eater whose narrow food preferences carry across all circumstances, most kids respond to environment as well as other things. As parents we get used to avoiding the foods they won't eat and keeping a store of nuggets in the freezer. Kids don't act in front of their friends they way they do at home. Which means they will likely eat more normally in social settings, falling back on other patterns at home.

Father Thomas is not associated with the family's church IIRC. By all appearances he is someone who has inserted himself into the saga and has been declaring since the beginning that Sini knows what happened and refuses to tell.

As re: his current online petition (which probably has the legal equivalence of an opinion poll), there are two issues I see. One is that anyone can hold a memorial service for anyone. That requires no authority or permission whatsoever. Apparently one has already been held in India (saw a pic in one of the Indian news articles). Possession/burial of the body, however, is a different matter, and I cannot see how he, regardless how many online signatures he amasses would have any standing whatsoever. Not to mention the remains are not likely to be released prior to the completion of the autopsy. If I'm wrong about that, please correct me.

IMO there appear to have been a good many people lovingly involved in Sherin's life beyond her parents. If there is some determination to disallow her mother from making arrangements, I would sincerely hope that her own church/pastor and extended family would be allowed to take the lead.

What is interesting is that yesterday he is quoted in a news report as saying he has over 5,000 signatures....

https://www.google.com/amp/cw33.com...athews-body-to-not-go-back-to-the-family/amp/

But nearly 24 hours after the report the number is just now going to hit 4,600. (The number keeps RAPIDLY changing both directions every time you refresh the page so while some names are added, some must be removing themselves?)

https://www.change.org/p/richardson...share_sms_responsive&utm_content=ex16:control

So are ya'll done discussing if India is part of Asia? :tomato:

jk

Dont know if this was posted..

"From now on, passports for adopted children will need Child Development Ministry clearance-The order of the External Affairs Ministry comes in light of the death of Sherin Mathews, the three-year-old adopted from India who died in Texas."

https://scroll.in/latest/855701/fro...ill-need-child-development-ministry-clearance

Some feel like hes trying to get his 5 min of fame. :discuss:
Others thinks hes taking the lead for a tribute to Sherin and no one else is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BasicallyAnxious