TX Shots fired at a free-speech "draw Muhammad " event in Garland TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but it doesn't matter if she is a hate mongerer. STOP faulting the victim. It's not what we do on WS.

Then the threads where police have been accused or charged with killing a citizen should be shut down too. There's plenty of 'victim blaming' going on there. I actually think we should be allowed to discuss all of it more freely, but that ain't the rules.

JMO I have no issue with anyone saying writing or drawing anything they want. The jihadi wannabees who took the bait are the criminals here. My post, however, was about wondering when the cartoons would be published, particularly by blogs or news organizations who find humor in them. I would like to see what is so funny. If anyone finds them, please post them here if they are from a proper source. TY JMO

JMO I have no issue with anyone saying writing or drawing anything they want. The jihadi wannabees who took the bait are the criminals here. My post, however, was about wondering when the cartoons would be published, particularly by blogs or news organizations who find humor in them. I would like to see what is so funny. If anyone finds them, please post them here if they are from a proper source. TY JMO

Post #34 has the winning cartoon. A few posts prior to that has a collage of (all/most?) the entries.

Then the threads where police have been accused or charged with killing a citizen should be shut down too. There's plenty of 'victim blaming' going on there. I actually think we should be allowed to discuss all of it more freely, but that ain't the rules.

And they have been shut down/moderated heavily. Discussing someone's past interactions with law enforcement verses calling someone names is vastly different IMO. I don't know enough about her to defend or argue her points, or know if I would even want to. However, there is no question of her complete innocence in what happened. She was specifically targeted, there is nothing further to investigate to see if she was doing something that brought this upon her like the Micahel Brown case. All she was doing was expressing her rights as an American, and if it weren't for armed police a known terrorist might have been successful at killing her. She is a victim. End of story.

THIS case is not about police being accused of or charged with anything. Please stop blaming the victim.

Jane Doe was raped.

Jane? Oh, she's a *advertiser censored*.

Please stop blaming the victim.

There is no justification or rationalization for violent extremists shooting, attempting to shoot, or attempting to blow up a peaceful cartoon contest. No matter what you think of the cartoons, or the organizers of the contest.

I quite liked the winning cartoon, FWIW. YMMV. There was nothing vulgar or hateful about it. It was far less offensive than the Piss Christ crucifix in urine. IMO, of course.

Nevertheless, if someone shot or tried to shoot Andres Serrano, my first reaction wouldn't be to criticize the vulgarity of his so-called art.

Let's not forget that the "victim" here was an unarmed Garland ISD police officer! The event was apparently an "answer" to a prior Islam related activity at that particular facility. I don't believe any of the "hate mongers" attending this event showed up to that event to shoot, maim, or otherwise harm anyone there.

According to the mayor, the majority of the people who attended this event were not even from Texas. Doesn't matter, though; they are allowed to peacefully assemble to view political cartoons, no matter if those cartoons anger some people. There is no constitutional right to not be angered in the US, and "offense" is absolutely no justification for assassination.

BBM - is this really what you think? :( There are extremists in almost all religions.

I admitted right up front I don't know anything about the religion, Time. I can only go by what I see in the news and documentaries. All I see is the Islamic extremist believes that those who are not Muslims are infidels and are to be killed. Don't they also believe that homosexuals should be murdered? Is that not what the Koran teaches?

Yes, I am aware there are extremists in all religions but what I am talking about is how many people across the world now who are being attacked and murdered by the Islamic extremists.

Has an extremist of another religion gone on to murder people who have drawn disparaging artwork of JC?

And any extremists no matter the group are hate groups including the type of people that wanted to murder people in Tx just because they drew a picture of Muhammad.

Ta. I like the message given in that picture, and I wholeheartedly support the right to display it. I checked out the artist's blog and he lost me at the first couple of pictures, not to mention the rest of it. I'm confused as to how I can have the same beliefs in freedom of expression, and yet I find the way that they (e.g. Gellar and Wilders to name a few) present their views conveying a level of hatred and disgust that I just don't feel.

I looked at it also and agree with you.

I admitted right up front I don't know anything about the religion, Time. I can only go by what I see in the news and documentaries. All I see is the Islamic extremist believes that those who are not Muslims are infidels and are to be killed. Don't they also believe that homosexuals should be murdered? Is that not what the Koran teaches?

Yes, I am aware there are extremists in all religions but what I am talking about is how many people across the world now who are being attacked and murdered by the Islamic extremists.

Has an extremist of another religion gone on to murder people who have drawn disparaging artwork of JC?

And any extremists no matter the group are hate groups including the type of people that wanted to murder people in Tx just because they drew a picture of Mohammad.

But now you are using the term "extremist" whereas before you didn't. It's not so hard to learn about Muslims and Islam. Most are certainly not extremists anymore than Christians or xyz are.

"Has an extremist of another religion gone on to murder people who have drawn disparaging artwork of JC?"

Let's rephrase that as ...

Has an extremist of another religion gone on to murder people who ......(insert something here)?

Wisconsin Sikh Temple massacre
Dr. George Tiller
Dr. John Britton
Centennial Olympic Park bombing
Knoxville Unitarian Universalist Church Shooting
(more)

On July 27, 2008, a politically motivated fatal shooting took place at the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church in Knoxville, Tennessee, United States. Motivated by a desire to kill liberals and Democrats, gunman Jim David Adkisson fired a shotgun at members of the congregation during a youth performance of a musical, killing two people and wounding seven others. (wiki)

THIS case is not about police being accused of or charged with anything. Please stop blaming the victim.

Jane Doe was raped.

Jane? Oh, she's a *advertiser censored*.

Please stop blaming the victim.

There is no justification or rationalization for violent extremists shooting, attempting to shoot, or attempting to blow up a peaceful cartoon contest. No matter what you think of the cartoons, or the organizers of the contest.

I'm not seeing how this is in anyway comparable to a rape. Where has anyone justified the actions of violent extremists?

I knew this would happen, I told my hubby someone is going to spray bullets I can just feel it ....

Looking like at least one of the guys was connected to ISIS/ISIL, an organization with the stated goal of overthrowing the US. I'm glad this two stupid guys decided to target a meeting where the organizers were well protected rather than a more vulnerable meeting of citizens.

I'm not seeing how this is in anyway comparable to a rape. Where has anyone justified the actions of violent extremists?

All over SM and even MSM they are calling Geller incendiary and provocative alluding that she was basically asking for it, much like many rape victims are blamed for dressing sexy and being too provocative.

But now you are using the term "extremist" whereas before you didn't. It's not so hard to learn about Muslims and Islam. Most are certainly not extremists anymore than Christians or xyz are.

"Has an extremist of another religion gone on to murder people who have drawn disparaging artwork of JC?"

Let's rephrase that as ...

Has an extremist of another religion gone on to murder people who ......(insert something here)?

Wisconsin Sikh Temple massacre
Dr. George Tiller
Dr. John Britton
Centennial Olympic Park bombing
Knoxville Unitarian Universalist Church Shooting
(more)

But that is still not answering my question:
"Has an extremist of another religion gone on to murder people who have drawn disparaging artwork of JC?" I am talking about attempting to murder as these two men did for this motive.

I know about the other cases through the years you have listed but they pale in comparison to the amount of victims Islamic terrorists/extremists are murdering each and everyday in the name of the Muslim religion.

The woman who lost her life in the Centennial Park Bombing was from my own hometown.:(

There are going to always be murders committed by extremists of some kind from time to time unfortunately. Sometimes mental illness is at play.

But imo, in the last few years many of them have been by Muslim extremists.

Just look at how many Army Major Hasan, who was a Islamic extremist, murdered. and wounded and we have seen others since then. One of them cutting his female co-workers head off and trying to do the same to another co-worker. And their have been others with ties to Islamic extremism.

It just seems to me at this point in time we are having to deal with violent Islamic extremists who are trying to murder our own and many of them boast they have ties to ISIS or are sympathizers.

These are homegrown terrorists/hate gropus imo and I think we will see more and more of them. This is going to be one of the grave issues we are going to have to deal with now right here on our own soil. I think there are silent cells all across our country plotting right now to do us harm whether they are individual loners/misfits or whether they are small pockets of them.

Still, I do not see Muslims in great numbers who come out to speak against Muslim extremists. I cant help but wonder why not.

IMO

I'm sorry but it doesn't matter if she is a hate mongerer. STOP faulting the victim. It's not what we do on WS.

Have you been reading the Freddy Gray thread? He is a victim, too. I am not saying it's right, but that in fact, it does happen.

Fwiw, since I know this will never happen, but if religion was removed from every part of the world - it seems to me there would be very little to fight about. Removing religion would not stop all conflicts imo, just many of them.

I have been fortunate enough to have not only traveled much of the world, but spend a lot of time in the many places I have visited. Here is what I have taken away from that -

Everyone adores a new born baby
Everyone loves to sit down to a meal with family, especially if they had the good fortune to marinate/roast something all day - yum!
Everyone mourns the loss of a loved one
Everyone rejoices at a successful crop or business
Everyone likes to walk in the sunshine
Everyone welcomes rain that will grow the crops
Everyone is curious about someone from another part of the world

I have talked to many people along the way - where did you get the outfit you are wearing - it's lovely. What is your life like? What is your family like? What do you like to eat? What do you do for a living? What do you like to do in your spare time?

One of my favorites - a Saudi father who wanted some advice on how to get his children to accept they had to be buckled in their car with the new seatbelt laws in his country - this was while chatting at an ice rink in Dubai no less. Plain old child rearing.

I have seen underweight newborns in a thatched roof hut that would have been in an incubator in the Western world. Young girls weaving carpets all day in extreme heat. People of all ages using an outdoor bathroom - no walls. People scavenging landfill sites for something to sell. Children begging on the street. People shooing them away. Have been on a broken down bus in Johannesburg that raised fears of an intentional incident to attack those on the bus. Enjoyed good food and good company when it turned out that was not the case. Have been 5th or 6th in line for a taxi and been given the right to the next one that arrived. In turn I sent powdered milk and fresh vegetables on the first day of every month to the newborns in the thatched hut, for 2 years. They did well btw.

I don't pretend to have all the answers to the worlds problems - I don't. These are important issues in the world though, imo. Issues where one can join in and rejoice the differences and offer help when and where one can. No religion required. Jmo.

But that is still not answering my question:
"Has an extremist of another religion gone on to murder people who have drawn disparaging artwork of JC?" I am talking about attempting to murder as these two men did for this motive.

I know about the other cases through the years you have listed but they pale in comparison to the amount of victims Islamic terrorists/extremists are murdering each and everyday in the name of the Muslim religion.

The woman who lost her life in the Centennial Park Bombing was from my own hometown.:(

There are going to always be murders committed by extremists of some kind from time to time unfortunately. Sometimes mental illness is at play.

But imo, in the last few years many of them have been by Muslim extremists.

Just look at how many Army Major Hasan, who was a Islamic extremist, murdered. and wounded and we have seen others since then. One of them cutting his female co-workers head off and trying to do the same to another co-worker. And their have been others with ties to Islamic extremism.

It just seems to me at this point in time we are having to deal with violent Islamic extremists who are trying to murder our own and many of them boast they have ties to ISIS or are sympathizers.

These are homegrown terrorists/hate gropus imo and I think we will see more and more of them. This is going to be one of the grave issues we are going to have to deal with now right here on our own soil. I think there are silent cells all across our country plotting right now to do us harm whether they are individual loners/misfits or whether they are small pockets of them.

Still, I do not see Muslims in great numbers who come out to speak against Muslim extremists. I cant help but wonder why not.

IMO

This could be one answer, but I have to wonder if some people really want to hear this message anyway instead of putting their effort towards condemning Islam in general. There is nothing in Islam any more weird or hateful than there is in Christianity, generally speaking.

Why don’t we hear Muslims condemning the barbarian ISIS terrorists?

Turns out they are loudly condemning ISIS … but our press isn’t covering it.

Father Elias Mallon of the Catholic Near East Welfare Association explains:

“Why aren’t Muslims speaking out against these atrocities?” The answer is: Muslims have been speaking out in the strongest terms, condemning the crimes against humanity committed by ISIS (or, as it is increasingly called, IS) and others in the name of Islam.

Father Mallon is right …

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/08/muslims-condemn-isis.html

I wholeheartedly believe in a citizen's right to free speech. This group's contest is most certainly a protected right.

But I do think it is also prudent to know that when poking a bee hive with a stick, protective gear is a good idea.

I am not saying that it was inevitable, but it was likely. Just because your speech is protected, it doesn't mean you haven't placed yourself in a tenuous position. It sucks, but sadly this is the world we have made. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther