GUILTY TX - Teketria Buggs, 12, Orchard, 2 December 2005

Someone had asked about her living situation.... they live in a lower class facility. There may not have been alot of "rules" as far as shoes on furniture so she could have fallen asleep with her shoes on. Maybe watching TV not really planning to fall asleep for the evening. OR if she was inticed to leave she could have slipped them on.
I'm from the area... and I am SO glad to see it on all the news channels as well as Nancy Grace considering how long it sometimes takes other cases to get on there.
Luckily Tim Miller from Equisearch also lives in our area and was there to help. He is such a good person, I hope he can help this family. My mom is friends with Tim, she is on a K9 SAR team. If she gets called out I will definatly update any behind the scene info I find out.

I am very concerned about the wellbeing of this child. IMO, things do not sound right with the boyfriend. According to the Mother, he took a poly but she does not know the results.(Nancy Grace last night). NG kept asking the Mother if she knew where the BF went when he left the house that night and was gone for several hours but never did get a straight answer. It seemed to me like the Mother was sidesteping the answer, kept saying that she hadn't had a chance to ask him where he went. Sorry but that does not sound right to me.

Shadow205 said:
I am very concerned about the wellbeing of this child. IMO, things do not sound right with the boyfriend. According to the Mother, he took a poly but she does not know the results.(Nancy Grace last night). NG kept asking the Mother if she knew where the BF went when he left the house that night and was gone for several hours but never did get a straight answer. It seemed to me like the Mother was sidesteping the answer, kept saying that she hadn't had a chance to ask him where he went. Sorry but that does not sound right to me.

I think the mother is either out of her mind with distress, or is very low-functioning intellectually. I really get the impression from her she doesn't know where Teke is, and I don't get the impression she's trying to cover for anyone, it seems like she's not reading the handwriting on the wall that the rest of us were.

So here's this man in the house. He leaves at the time Teke goes to sleep on the couch, and when he returns to the house around 2 a.m. he wakes up a 10 year old girl to ask where is Teke. I bet by the end of tomorrow, he will have been arrested for her disappearance.

I thought he was the kids step father?
I also think he is the only one who could be involved since he was the only one to leave the house..it doesnt add up for it to be anyone else.
I mean she could not say where he was and she could not even answer about him-how hard is it to ask..where did u go?
She said she had not had a chance to ask him-give me a break-they are going to make time to ask that question imo.

On Nancy Grace today she stated some disturbing info that side sonar had detected something at the bottom of the lake.....

More tonight on her show......might be nothing?????

That little girl is so cute. And her nickname is Tekey Bug. I feel so bad for her mother.

I have a kid that likes to sleep on the couch. He will get out of bed and sleep on the couch. But he is a lot older than Teeky. I can see a girl falling asleep with her shoes on. But it does lend to the idea she put them on to go with someone.
Remeber Elizabeth Smart was allowed to put her shoes on.

I have a question about her and maybe this doesn't pertain, maybe it does . . .

They keep saying she "acts immature for her age", "she seems young for her age".

She's in 3rd grade and she's 12 years old. Twelve year olds are in 6th and 7th grade. Her mother claims she's "very bright" and the reason she's been so held back is she's missed too many days.

What's gone on her life to make her have failed 3 or more years in school, and she's still in elementary? I've never heard a child with normal intellect being held back THAT much, certainly not on the technicality of having missed too many days.

Her pictures show a girl who looks bright.

My question is, what's gone on in her life that she's 12 years old and in the 3rd grade??

KatherineQ said:

They keep saying she "acts immature for her age", "she seems young for her age".

She's in 3rd grade and she's 12 years old. Twelve year olds are in 6th and 7th grade. Her mother claims she's "very bright" and the reason she's been so held back is she's missed too many days.

What's gone on her life to make her have failed 3 or more years in school, and she's still in elementary? I've never heard a child with normal intellect being held back THAT much, certainly not on the technicality of having missed too many days.

My question is, what's gone on in her life that she's 12 years old and in the 3rd grade??
that's a good question. I hadn't even thought of that but you are right.
Did they move around a lot perhaps? Was she kept out of school and as you mentioned WHY?

KatherineQ said:

Usually a school will not hold a child back more than once because it causes social stigma. Missing that many days indicates some parenting problems. IMO
I feel bad for her mom. Are there many other children in the home? Perhaps she was overwhelmed raising kids.
The school was letting her fall thru the cracks if she was actually held back 3 times. Perhaps mom mispoke about the grade. She is stressed out.

Becba said:
Usually a school will not hold a child back more than once because it causes social stigma. Missing that many days indicates some parenting problems. IMO
I feel bad for her mom. Are there many other children in the home? Perhaps she was overwhelmed raising kids.
The school was letting her fall thru the cracks if she was actually held back 3 times. Perhaps mom mispoke about the grade. She is stressed out.
I read about this too on the NG transcript...seemed odd.

Her mom, Ms. Voy was basically hysterical and not able to talk. She was not home at the time..10.30pm that Tekey supposedly went to sleep. It was grandmother's house...grandma,10 yr old sister and 2 yr old cousin were there.

Stepdad, as mom called him...said he told the kids to go to sleep at 10.30, then went out...later in interview the wording changes to BF..he comes in at 2.ooam, wakes up 10 yr old to ask where Tekey is....LE is called 10 am on sat morn.

NG asked if she was in about 5th grade..mom says 3rd because she missed too much time but that she was bright and the top of class.....I know we all like to believe are children are bright and all have different definitions of it...but a bit odd--no mention of mental challenge....

But mom said she was afraid to walk to aunt's next door (rural) alone and was afraid of dogs.
NO mention if mom was at work or where she was all night.

Very confusing and sad.

So BF finds her missing at 2 am but she isn't reported until 10? If she won't go out in the dark to her aunts, he had to wonder what was up.

I know the mom thinks it is not the BF but it sounds suspicious. I wonder if he was intoxicated that night.

Becba said:
So BF finds her missing at 2 am but she isn't reported until 10? If she won't go out in the dark to her aunts, he had to wonder what was up.

I know the mom thinks it is not the BF but it sounds suspicious. I wonder if he was intoxicated that night.
i agree...doesn't sound right. maybe he noticed, because he sat down on the couch.

mom said they both took poly's...she passed but didn't know his results.

maybe poor Tekey had some social phobias--afraid to go to school, afraid to be outside, sleeping on couch..

she has such a big smile and a sparkle in her eyes..what a beautiful child!!

petra said:
i agree...doesn't sound right. maybe he noticed, because he sat down on the couch.

mom said they both took poly's...she passed but didn't know his results.

maybe poor Tekey had some social phobias--afraid to go to school, afraid to be outside, sleeping on couch..

she has such a big smile and a sparkle in her eyes..what a beautiful child!!

I hope they find this sweet child. Things just don't add up though and the fact that she was held back because she missed too many days of school really got my attention! Why was she missing so much school???? So many questions....prayers she comes home safely, but I don't feel good about this.

Sassygerl said:
I hope they find this sweet child. Things just don't add up though and the fact that she was held back because she missed too many days of school really got my attention! Why was she missing so much school???? So many questions....prayers she comes home safely, but I don't feel good about this.
I agree sassy...I am getting quite emotionally about this case, missing Andreanna and missing Christine Rudy tonight.

They are all such sad and horrible situations...and these are but three.

Prays for all the missing tonight. I think I'll light some candles and step away from the board for awhile to reflect on my blessings.

If the child was held back a grade because of missing too much school then she probably was ill. For quite a few years now in Texas, if kids miss so many unexcused days, the parents are hauled into court given a big fine and threatened with jail. If a parent let a child miss so much school that they'd fail 2 grades, I imagine the child would be in foster care. The lovely TAKS test they started in on last year here may also have something to do with being kept back a year if the little girl didn't pass it. That thing is enough to traumatize Texas children who may have trouble passing tests and not getting the help that they needed beforehand.

txsvicki said:
If the child was held back a grade because of missing too much school then she probably was ill. For quite a few years now in Texas, if kids miss so many unexcused days, the parents are hauled into court given a big fine and threatened with jail. If a parent let a child miss so much school that they'd fail 2 grades, I imagine the child would be in foster care. The lovely TAKS test they started in on last year here may also have something to do with being kept back a year if the little girl didn't pass it. That thing is enough to traumatize Texas children who may have trouble passing tests and not getting the help that they needed beforehand.
My youngest just graduated this year, and so I'm not familiar if they would hold a student back if they failed the TAKS. I think when they had the TAAS, and if a student failed a portion, they had to go to summer school, and then retest showing an improvement on their score. But to be 12 and to be that far behind in school just doesn't seem right. I do remember getting letters from the school when my oldest was missing quite a few days due to severe allergies, about not passing the semester. He kept forgetting to turn in his doctor excuses, which are "excused" absenses.

txsvicki said:

I'm in central Texas - and we hate the TAKS monster! ;D I think there was some percentage of 3rd graders who were held back this year statewide, but I believe it was less than half of those who actually failed the 3rd grade TAKS.

The thing is, 12 years old is too old to be in third grade, no matter what her intelletual level is. At some point, she either needs to be in foster care as you say, in special ed if that's what would be most appropriate, or something other than just keeping her in with younger and younger kids.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back