Found Deceased TX - Thomas Brown, 18, Hemphill County, 23 Nov 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am local - and the rumor mill is going nonstop. The trending thought, though is his sexuality and his parents.

I do not know him or his parents so I cannot speculate either way. But that is the talk amongst the kids he goes to school with.

I just wonder how he left, surely not on foot. Or I suppose he could have walked a ways, then met up with someone? I also wonder if any other tire tracks were found in the area around the river or where his SUV was found. Also, as a local have you heard anything about why he quit football? TIA
[FONT=&amp]Up until this past year he was a starter for the state championship Canadian High School Football team. His teammates describe him as a dedicated football player that made the hard decision to take a different direction this past fall and leave the game of football. [/FONT]
http://www.findtombrown.com/case-history.html

He was last seen on the night of Nov. 23, 2016, pumping gas into his red Dodge SUV.

Brown is a senior honor student and class president at Canadian High School. On the night of his disappearance, Brown and two friends drove around town listening to music and talking. Friends say Brown was in a good mood and made plans for the following day. He wore jeans, tennis shoes and a black pullover sweatshirt with a small Oklahoma State University logo on the chest.

Tom-Brown-Sweatshirt.jpg

Brown returned to his car in the Canadian Middle School parking lot at 11:30 p.m. Security cameras filmed him getting gas at a nearby gas station at 11:40 p.m. before heading off towards the high school area of town at 11:51 p.m.

Brown has a strict midnight curfew, but did not return a text from his brother at 12:03 a.m. asking where he was. Phone records show Brown never read the text, nor did he read or answer any subsequent phone calls or texts from worried friends and family.

By 1:30 a.m., Brown’s mother activated the local 911 emergency system and a search took place. At 6:50 a.m., cameras tracked a red Dodge SUV traveling up a remote hill on the outskirts of town. A search helicopter located the SUV at 8:45 a.m. and the Hemphill County Sheriff’s Office went to investigate.

Authorities confirmed the SUV belonged to Brown. The car was unlocked with a window rolled down half way. Items missing from the car include Brown’s cell phone, keys, wallet and laptop. Search dogs picked up Brown’s sent in the area but eventually lost it.

Investigators believe Brown may be in danger or taken forcefully against his will. His credit cards and cell phone remain unused since his disappearance.

http://www.wideopencountry.com/texas-community-needs-your-help-finding-missing-person-tom-brown/

If you follow Klein on Facebook, they posted a picture of a key to a vehicle yesterday that they want people to look for. They also said that the people have been very receptive and helpful. I'll try to link...

I think they should search the area where his car was found again. Maybe using differently trained search dogs this time. More often than I can count I have read here of a missing person being found in an area previously searched, and close to their last known location, often weeks or even months later.

If you follow Klein on Facebook, they posted a picture of a key to a vehicle yesterday that they want people to look for. They also said that the people have been very receptive and helpful. I'll try to link...

Ive been wondering about that, why specifically the key? If Brown drove out there himself, it seems he would have the key if he didn't leave it in the vehicle. Could it be that they suspect someone else local drove the vehicle out there ? But why would they keep the key? I'm assuming they already searched the area where the vehicle was found with metal detectors for the key , etc. Mysterious.

Ive been wondering about that, why specifically the key? If Brown drove out there himself, it seems he would have the key if he didn't leave it in the vehicle. Could it be that they suspect someone else local drove the vehicle out there ? But why would they keep the key? I'm assuming they already searched the area where the vehicle was found with metal detectors for the key , etc. Mysterious.

If they find the key, it might lead them to another location where Tom has been or where they would find more evidence. If Tom ran away, it doesn't seem logical that he would take the key and leave the vehicle unlocked with a window rolled down. If a criminal had the key after harming Tom, the key might have fingerprint or other evidence on it, especially if the assailant didn't have time/means to thoroughly clean it. It's possible that if a crime were committed, the offender would have tossed the key rather than be caught with it in his/her possession.

I am local - and the rumor mill is going nonstop. The trending thought, though is his sexuality and his parents.

I do not know him or his parents so I cannot speculate either way. But that is the talk amongst the kids he goes to school with.

I live in a nearby town and am acquainted with some family members, but not close enough to know any detailed information about the particulars. From what I know of this family, they are loving and accepting and are devastated by Tom's absence. I haven't heard any of the rumors you mention, but you seem closer to the community there, so I'm sure you are hearing speculation around town. I do think someone from the high school has to know more than they are saying. However, the boys who were with him that night seem to think everything was as normal, so perhaps not even Tom expected anything out of the ordinary.

The feeling I am getting is they have reason to believe he is deceased and aren't searching because they are working a different angle.

The ping coming from the area of the stadium is interesting. Did his team ever play or practice there? If he harmed himself, that might also be a sentimental choice - I wonder if they have searched it (including high points you can only get to via ladder or utility access)

I'm not sure they think he is deceased, but perhaps they are privy to some inside information that law enforcement wants to keep from the general public.

If you look at this map, you can see that the high school and middle school are beside each other near the top. The middle school parking lot is where Tom's vehicle was parked and where his friends dropped him off that evening. Although there is a practice football field at the high school, the football stadium is near the elementary school several blocks south. Best I can tell, Tom's home is located very near the high school. Hwy 60 is the main highway through town. In town it is 2nd Street, and this is the main thoroughfare. The closest gas station to Tom's home and the middle/high school is an Allsups located on 2nd St. This is a 24 hour convenience store and might be the gas station he used, although there are several others on up and down that main road (not all are 24 hr, and I'm not sure which would have been open). After he got gas, the video shows him driving towards the middle/high school again. This would have likely been the same path he would have driven home, and it would have made sense that he would have done just that. Instead of arriving home, however, Tom evidently traveled several blocks south to the football stadium, which would have likely taken him past his home, then continuing south several blocks. As far as I can tell, they only know this because his phone pinged near there about 20 minutes after he left the gas station. By all accounts, he was always conscientious about making curfew at 11, so if he left the gas station, he knew he had 9 minutes to arrive home. I estimate his home was about 1 minute from the gas station. It's possible a stranger slipped into his vehicle and abducted him as they left the gas station (but there was video of him leaving), or that he went to the football stadium to briefly meet someone, and that encounter ended badly. Of course, he may planned the entire thing and left town voluntarily with an unknown person, however, no one seems to have had reasons to suspect this in advance.

Football is huge in this part of the country, and Tom had been very active on a state championship team up until this year. I'm sure he had played on both the practice field and at the stadium many times. I'm not sure if the "practice" field I mention is used by the high schoolers or just the middle school, but I supposed he used both of them over his years attending school there. Parking lots at both locations seem to be very popular places for teens to hang out or meet up, so him being at those 2 locations doesn't seem suspicious, except that he bypassed his home and was at the stadium past his curfew.

I can't see any way possible a dead body could have been at the stadium or any of the schools without being found quite quickly. I've been to school events at these locations before, and there just aren't hiding places that wouldn't have been easily searched.

I agree - heading to the stadium made me think of his teammates or someone from school immediately.

Possibly yes, and also possibly it was picked because it is a landmark and easy to find on a map. Although it might be a logical place to meet another teen, it might also be a logical place to meet someone unfamiliar with your town. I have no reason to believe Tom used any substances, but this might also be a place someone could buy or use them. I don't know that--just a hypothesis based on things I've known about other high schools and football fields elsewhere.

I think they should search the area where his car was found again. Maybe using differently trained search dogs this time. More often than I can count I have read here of a missing person being found in an area previously searched, and close to their last known location, often weeks or even months later.

From what I've read, they have searched many miles in a radius surrounding this area several times, using more than one set of search dogs, LEO and volunteers on foot and horseback, as well as by helicopter. The "river" was only several inches high when he disappeared, so the likelihood of being drowned or hidden in it are small. The terrain is fairly open and bare, although there are areas of underbrush. All of it was searched multiple times and private property owners were also encouraged to search every structure on their lands. This is such a small and tight-knit community that everyone is aware of the public details of this case, and many people from the town and surrounding region have assisted in the search process. I also understand other sheriff's departments, TX Parks and Wildlife Rangers and DPS were brought in to investigate and to help local county LEO search for and process evidence.

The media is reporting that LE is no longer actively looking for Tom. If they think he ran away, how did he leave? Walked? Hitchhiked? Did/does he have access to money? Are there friends in Amarillo or Dallas he may have contacted? He took his phone and laptop. He's over 18. Does that mean the police can't access his online accounts or phone records?

Thank you for all this info Sunny!

Again, does anyone know why he quit football? TIA

Sunny, thank you for your detailed descriptions! After reading all that I can only think that he left in another vehicle, either forcefully or voluntarily (knowingly risking to be late for his curfew). He may be continuing to be away voluntarily, or something happened in the vehicle of the other person, and he's deceased, his body hidden far away. Sorry, I'm not much help.

Again, does anyone know why he quit football? TIA

According to the Find Tom Brown website, he wanted to take a different direction than football. Previously he had been a starter for the football team.

According to the Find Tom Brown website, he wanted to take a different direction than football. Previously he had been a starter for the football team.

Yes, so it to me doesn't make sense. He was a starter for the football team, and then he just quits? And FWIR, according t what I read, it was a difficult decision for him to make. Quite unusual, if one's a football player they are or they're not. Especially if they're a starter. Especially since he's one of the best, right? So, why would someone in his position just quit? What was going on? IDK, I sense something not right. JMO

So, A starter for the football team. And FWIR, it was a difficult decision for him to make. Quite unusual, if one's a football player they are or they're not. Especially if they're a starter. And, that makes him one of the best, right? So, why would someone in his position just quit? What was going on?

I agree. Something was going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member