TX TX - Unidentified victims of Dean Corll, Houston Serial Killer, 1970-1973

Right.I sure wish either Brooks or Henley would take two minutes to look at the reconstruction photos and the photos of the personal effects found with these unidentified kids.
I think they could help alot.Of course I dont think that will ever happen.
Like I said earlier Henley has already refused.
A point that I hope is a factor in any future parole hearing.
I hope Sugie has some luck with Harris county checking this out.
You know this discussion has made me think about how strange it is that in spite of the world wide attention in the press and news media this case recieved in 1973,it seems to have kind of faded into obscurity in the public conscienceness as opposed to the John Wayne Gacy case.
There are only two slim volumes written about it one of which has been out of print since 1974.
Of course fromwhat I understand Journalist and would be writers interested in this case were met with something less then open arms and in some cases outright hostility by the Powers That Be and the neighborhood of the Heights.
So tht may have something to do with it.
Frankly I was less then impressed with Jack Olsen's book.he wrote much better books about far less interesting cases later on.
It would be great to see a good crime writer take an investigative look at this case.Maybe the passing of time would allow for a more concise overview.
To me there are still so many unanswered questions.
It would be interesting for someone to talk to Billy Riddinger the boy who somehow for some reason Brooks talked Corll and Henley into releasing him from the board and letting him go.
What the heck was that all about?
It would also be interesting to hear Timothy Kerley and Rhonda Williams point of view about the morning Dean Corll was killed.To my knowledge except for whatever Billy Riddinger told the grand jury that has never happened.
Of course its hard to say whatever became of these people after all this time.

You are quite right, I just happened upon this story while researching another case and until, knew nothing about it. What caught my attention is when you stated that corll had told brooks and henley that he belonged to an organization that "bought and sold boys." This isn't the first time I have heard this mentioned. While researching the kidnapping of John Gosch and the alledged role paul bonacci played in his kidnapping, this same statement was made about an organization that "bought and sold boys" in houston, tx. I am still trying to come to grips with the fact that is this really happening in america? I am apalled to say the least

I remember the friends that I lost. I know we were not so poor that we could not afford to be looked for. I know it is more than hard for a parent to want to see if those bones are their childs. Knowing what happened to them. One was finnaly claimed more than a decade later. I was listening to the news and they said his name. God rest his soul. It was by his I.D. braclett (we all wore these) popular at the time. I remember he came over to hang out sometimes. This is not running away. We were friends.

Hi cparks!
Did you live in the Heights area during the early 70's?
Weve been discusing the three unidentified sets of remains the harris county coroner still has from this case as youve probably gathered.
One of the reconstructions they did bears a remarkable resemblance to a missing boy from the midwest who dissappared iin 1972.
I sure would like to hear any input you have about this case.

Hello Kline,
I lived in Langwood, not far from the Heights. I'm sure not all of the victims are from the Heights, but I must say the Heights is not a poor area. It was a horrible reason to not find out the truth, to say it was just some poor kids! The truth is one of the victims parent was a Houston police officer and still they wouldn't go to the other areas that had bodies.Even when they were told where. History is a funny thing. I remember it diffrently than what I've read. As young teens, it was fun to go visit or hang out at new friends places, to hitchhike, to party. We didn't run away we went partying, with the intent on going home later. Some of us had bad parents just like today.People fall into the cracks everyday. I servived the 70's. There are more bodies. I can see from my perspective a dislike and disrespect of teens by the public that I lived with as did my friends at the time. Is your intrest because of the three? Picture it, hot summer Houston, a bunch of partying teens found under a boat shed. They just stopped digging. Damn. Nowadays you can call the police and report a runaway and get a case number. We were not even a number back then.
Yes,the resemblance is uncanny

Hi Cparks!
This case has always interested me,I was a teenager too when it broke in 1973,its always haunted me.
There certainly hasnt been much written about it since.
I grew up in Idaho but I know what you mean about the attitude Law Enforcement seemed to have towards "long haired dope smokin' kids" back in those days.
It was the same here.
I think it was a real cheap coping method for Police to write off these kids as worthless kids from disfunctional families,shift some of the blame away from them back towards the victims in this case.
Because there was a lot of criticism directed their way in the press both nationally and internationally that this horror was allowed to be perpetuated on their watch.
Im grateful things are more enlightened now.Look at the effort Harris County is going to in 2007 to indentify these kids.
I agree Corll killed more then 27 victims,according to detectives they took Henley's estimate for the number of bodies in the boat shed at face value and said 'thats it'.
Several have expressed the opinion there are more inthe shed and in Galveston as well.

Nothing that I know of ,so far there has been no news from Harris county on thier Unidentifieds from Corll's boat shed and some of the possible missings posted on doe network brought to their attention by various members of this board.
Hopefully something will come of it.
Im sure its difficult in the extreme to track down relatives from a 30 year old missing persons case in another state for DNA,when people could have moved ect.
Some of these cases have very little info in the hands of present day Law Enforcement as well.

I have never heard of this. Isn't it amazing just how many young boys one person killed? It makes you wonder just how many sick freaks are out there.

Thanks for posting this article. As Mary Scott (the mother of one of the murdered boys) commented, it must be awful to think your child ran off because he/she didn't love you and never wanted to see you again. That is just heartbreaking.

OK, I think Corll killed many many more victims than have been unearthed ( literally).

What happened to the marina land where the known victims' remains were found? Has any organized excavation ever been done since the 70's?

IMO, we only have a small piece of a large puzzle. Since Corll was murdered, we may never know where he traveled and who he killed before he picked up his two young accomplices.
They say the term " serial killer" wasn't coined when Corll killed. I think he got away with murdering his preferred victims- young white males- for many years. I read an article that said he may be responsible for as many as 200 " missing" boys from the 50s and 60s.

I doubt he ever preferred to work alone. But, the question is, did he kill his earlier accomlices ( his bait) like he was going to kill these two? If the earlier accomplices were killed, then talk about a cold trail.

I agree with whoever said that this man is probably worse than John Wayne Gacy. I think he got away with murders for over 20 years, maybe more.
JMHO, sadly.

Maria

I could never even begin to imagine the nightmare, my heart and prayers go out to everyone living these nightmares.

Great article! I hadnt seen this one.
This has always been one of the most Horrific cases of all time in my opinion.
I remember when it happened.Its strange so few people are familar with it.I think Corll far surpased Gacy for sheer savagery,and if the truth were known probably killed more victims.
I wonder why it took them so long to identify Mark Scott?
David Brook specificly named him in his staement to police in 1973.
Aparently Scott very nearly got Corll with a knife.
According to Brooks he had one hand tied and swung at Corll with a switchblade close enough to snag his shirt and break the skin.
Corll grabbed his free wrist ,Henley ran out of the room and got a pistol and Scott "Just gave up."
I absolutely shudder to think what happened to the poor kid after that having heard enough about what Corll subjected his victims too.
It is a shame he didnt manage to gut Corll but at least he tried to fight back.
I hope these boys are eventually identified.
After a little surfing I discovered Wayne Henley finaly took a look at the three reconstruction photos and said he didnt recognize them.
Im not real knocked out by some of these photos,depending on the artist they all look so much alike.These three look alot like the Gacy reconstructions...Im not sure they would ring a bell with someone who actually knew the victims.
just somehow they look too contemporary not like kids from the early 70's.

I had the same thoughts as far as they all were similar in looks too and that they all looked like they walked out of 2008 instead of the 70's.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back