TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if schools intervene in cases of bullying. There appears to be a high standard as to what constitutes bullying. Jose Reyes, was a 14 year old student at Sparks Middle School in Sparks, Nevada when he went to school on October 21, 2013 with a semi-automatic handgun. He shot two students and killed a math teacher who tried to wrestle the gun away from him. He left two quasi-suicide notes detailing the bullying he had endured. He was repeatedly called gay, stupid, a r****d, had money stolen and accused of peeing his pants at school. He appeared to suffer from depression and perhaps a form of autism.

According to Murderpedia:

"Police learned one of the students shot during the rampage had teased Reyes about not having muscles during a physical education class, had called him names and may have played a part in pouring water on him when he was accused of wetting his pants.

The mistreatment didn't rise to the level to merit bullying charges, Allen said."

Maybe it's just me but if teachers are aware that a student has been targeted for abuse like pouring water on him and being teased unmercifully about urinating in his pants at school then I don't know what constitutes bullying. I am aware that sometimes intervening in situations where children are targeted by others can exacerbate the situation. But teachers aren't only teaching they are there to monitor the behavior of children that reveal aspects of how situations can erupt. Jose Reyes committed suicide at the age of 12 because school became a war zone for him. In a war you try to kill your enemies. It's very sad that he felt his fellow students were his enemies and the teachers were their enablers.

YIKES! The teacher and principal failed this child.
I believe not all children that end up committing acts of violence were born a psychopath, and they were neglected, ignored, and bullied until they couldn't cope anymore. Without help, they have no way to deal with the stress.
There is hope to help the next child suffering in silence with no one to help them.
This hurts to read.

This is ghastly!

It is also completely, and I mean absolutely completely the antithesis of what would have happened in my school, and diametrically opposed to the reaction I or any teacher I've ever known would have had to this treacherous bullying situation.

ANY teacher I have EVER known has interceded in far less injurious situations than water being poured on a child. Even when we learn about verbal bullying, it is all hands on deck to address the situation.

Counselors are brought in, parents and guardians are brought in, mediation is attempted, we have had the local police precinct in annually to make presentations and answer questions regarding bullying and its consequences, we have assemblies with psychologists and other people in the field to address these situations school-wide, we have anti-bullying campaigns, and most significantly we strive for a culture where students feel free to "tell."

Yes, when students tell us ways in which they feel bullied, they do often fear that things will get worse for them. We have steps to follow in order to assuage that fear. We intervene even in incidents that take place when the students are on the way home from school, as they are still considered under our care until they reach home. (Most NYC students walk to school or take a city bus once they are middle school aged).

I have personally spent countless hours over a quarter of a century ameliorating these incidents, as have my colleagues, and that was even before the existence of social media. Of course that made things worse, because now kids could torment another even when they were safely home.

Of course we couldn't extinguish every situation, but no one, no one, would ignore it, overlook it, or treat it with nonchalance.

My own daughter was bullied when she was 10 and in 6th grade by some girls who locked her in a bathroom. I was at the school the next day, and the assistant principal suspended those girls and installed school aides to keep watch outside every bathroom.

If a child would go so far as to pour water on a child, I'm sure the police would have been called in, with the bully's parent or guardian, and they would have been either arrested for assault or some other LE intervention, depending on a host of factors.

I daresay all the teachers on WS feel the same and would react the same.

JMO and experience.
I wish there had been anti-bullying/anti-violence intervention during many of my school years.

A
This is ghastly!

It is also completely, and I mean absolutely completely the antithesis of what would have happened in my school, and diametrically opposed to the reaction I or any teacher I've ever known would have had to this treacherous bullying situation.

ANY teacher I have EVER known has interceded in far less injurious situations than water being poured on a child. Even when we learn about verbal bullying, it is all hands on deck to address the situation.

Counselors are brought in, parents and guardians are brought in, mediation is attempted, we have had the local police precinct in annually to make presentations and answer questions regarding bullying and its consequences, we have assemblies with psychologists and other people in the field to address these situations school-wide, we have anti-bullying campaigns, and most significantly we strive for a culture where students feel free to "tell."

Yes, when students tell us ways in which they feel bullied, they do often fear that things will get worse for them. We have steps to follow in order to assuage that fear. We intervene even in incidents that take place when the students are on the way home from school, as they are still considered under our care until they reach home. (Most NYC students walk to school or take a city bus once they are middle school aged).

I have personally spent countless hours over a quarter of a century ameliorating these incidents, as have my colleagues, and that was even before the existence of social media. Of course that made things worse, because now kids could torment another even when they were safely home.

Of course we couldn't extinguish every situation, but no one, no one, would ignore it, overlook it, or treat it with nonchalance.

My own daughter was bullied when she was 10 and in 6th grade by some girls who locked her in a bathroom. I was at the school the next day, and the assistant principal suspended those girls and installed school aides to keep watch outside every bathroom.

If a child would go so far as to pour water on a child, I'm sure the police would have been called in, with the bully's parent or guardian, and they would have been either arrested for assault or some other LE intervention, depending on a host of factors.

I daresay all the teachers on WS feel the same and would react the same.

JMO and experience.
Thank you for this post.

I agree 100%

In my school we do the same.

Besides, we have school group activities aiming at good peer relationships and the ability to communicate in a friendly way.

No to bullying!

Agreed ; and I'm not sure what to think.
Why not shoot through the windows to stop the gunman ?
And if I remember correctly, wouldn't LE have had what I'd label 'battering rams" to break through the doors ?
Not sure what those devices are called these days.

Why wait for a key to be produced ?
This was an emergency situation !

I heard in a television interview last week that the door to the classroom opened outward, so a battering ram maybe wouldn't have worked, and they said it was a steel door.

As for putting a sniper on an adjacent roof to "pick off" the shooter through the window - shooter could have closed the blinds. That was something I have thought about and that BORTAC unit would have too!

There is an argument to be made here about having cameras in the classroom. As unsettling and gruesome that feed would have been - it would have fed valuable real-time information to those LE that just kept waiting outside the door.

I have approached this idea a few times with administration and was shot down in flames every time - the unions are dead set against it - citing "privacy" concerns. But, today, even day cares now have cameras where moms at work can call up the cam and see their baby in real-time. Plus there have been many many instances where "bad" day care workers are caught abusing children!

I would say "if you aren't doing anything wrong - and doing your job - what do you care if you are on camera?" Plus, they already have cameras in the hallways and other places.

I am a mom first and I know I would have rested easier if there would have been cameras in the classroom. But what do I know? I'm just a lowly, underpaid teacher - the powers that be (which some have never been in the classroom or it has been YEARS since they were) always have to feel that they know better!!!!!

JMHO

Well, 1 thing is certain.

There was no security in this school.

There should be a security room with monitor/s showing all entrance doors.

In case of an open door, there should have been an alarm raised.

I guess, the school authorities will be sued by many parents of the victims.

A teacher that Texas law enforcement officials claimed had left a door propped open that allowed the gunman to enter Robb Elementary School had closed the door, her San Antonio lawyer told The San Atonio Express-News.

Her attorney said she ran back inside to get her phone to call 911, then came back out while on the phone with 911, and ran back inside after witnesses at the funeral home next to the school shouted out that Ramos was armed.

“She kicked the rock away [that was propping the door open] when she went back in. She remembers pulling the door closed while telling 911 that he was shooting. She thought the door would lock because that door is always supposed to be locked,” her attorney said, according to the newspaper.

A law enforcement source familiar with the investigation said surveillance video and audio verifies the employee removed the rock holding the door open and closed it….

The source said at least one other school employee has reported to federal agents and DPS that at least one other door in the building did not lock, so investigators are looking into that report. Investigators also have received reports that another entry/exit door into the building was open during school hours, the source said.

Last edited:
Well, 1 thing is certain.

There was no security in this school.

There should be a security room with monitor/s showing all entrance doors.

In case of an open door, there should have been an alarm raised.

I guess, the school authorities will be sued by many parents of the victims.

I agree.
In many gas station/convenience stores there are service doors for the vendors or staff that are 'alarmed', with signs stating as such.
Convenience stores where the more valuable items would be gas, cigarettes or alcohol. :rolleyes:
Easily replaced if stolen or lost in a fire.

These are our irreplaceable children and we don't have doors with alarms that go off if the doors are propped open ?
What is wrong here and at other schools.

It's fine to have drills and lockdowns, but the school yard fences and campus doors are the first point of defense that are breached in the case of an active shooter.

It angers me that some of these deaths could have been prevented !
:mad:

How much more so for the parents.
I can't imagine.

My .02.

A teacher that Texas law enforcement officials claimed had left a door propped open that allowed the gunman to enter Robb Elementary School had closed the door, her San Antonio lawyer told The San Atonio Express-News.

Her attorney said she ran back inside to get her phone to call 911, then came back out while on the phone with 911, and ran back inside after witnesses at the funeral home next to the school shouted out that Ramos was armed.

“She kicked the rock away [that was propping the door open] when she went back in. She remembers pulling the door closed while telling 911 that he was shooting. She thought the door would lock because that door is always supposed to be locked,” her attorney said, according to the newspaper.

A law enforcement source familiar with the investigation said surveillance video and audio verifies the employee removed the rock holding the door open and closed it.

Thanks, this is new information. ^^^

Why was the door left open in the first place, and it sounds like a lot of back and forth for this action ?
Getting the phone from inside to call 911, going outside, then running back inside after witness shouted that SR was inside the building ?

Are there cameras in the hallways to corroborate her account ?
Earlier comments said there are no cameras inside the classrooms themselves, but what about the hall cams ?

How did his family not see the cuts to his face ? That would be a huge red flag.
my personal opinion there was not much interaction, his room was his and they may have stayed out, and maybe he wore a mask I saw several in videos from the school wearing masks, maybe in that town it is still common place.

One of these sweet irreplaceable little souls was a Toronto Blue Jays fan? :( This breaks me.

Their coffins are having custom designs of what was meaningful to them in life, and one has my home city’s baseball team.
View attachment 347124
Image from video at link:

We’re honoured that our team brought you some happiness and we are mourning you, your classmates and teachers.
this broke my heart when I thought it could not break anymore.

CNN: Video captures moment in radio call of child saying 'I got shot'

A Facebook live video outside of Robb Elementary School during the shooting includes an apparent radio call of a child saying they had been shot.

Hear apparent dispatch audio informing officers that a child is calling 911

In footage obtained by ABC News, dispatch audio can be heard informing officers on the scene of the Uvalde shooting that a child is calling 911 from a classroom and is advising that the room is "full of victims." CNN has not been able to independently confirm this video and audio. At what point this call was taken within the 78 minutes of the shooting is unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo