TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ByMikeBaker

In the past two years, the Uvalde school district has hosted at least two active-shooter training days. One of them was just two months ago. The trainings included both classroom teachings and role-playing scenarios inside school hallways
(below).
The Uvalde training session 2 months ago relied on guidelines that give explicit expectations for officers responding to an active shooter. The training is clear: Time is of the essence. The “first priority is to move in and confront the attacker.”
Vital to "confront the attacker" • "Time is the number one enemy" • Immediate action can have "dramatic impact on reducing casualties" • Prioritize innocent lives over officer safety
A SINGLE OFFICER, the training says, may need to confront the suspect on their own.
https://nytimes.com/2022/05/26/us/mass-shooting-school-security.html…

Attachments

• 6DE6A0DB-0A31-4C0A-B4C3-0A3928FDFA45.png
    6DE6A0DB-0A31-4C0A-B4C3-0A3928FDFA45.png
    234.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 1AF7B584-4404-4849-8A17-4BCB621FB4D6.jpeg
    1AF7B584-4404-4849-8A17-4BCB621FB4D6.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 91AD359E-F374-4F70-A6C7-48266D0D87D3.jpeg
    91AD359E-F374-4F70-A6C7-48266D0D87D3.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 9
  • A4F18963-07D4-4B6B-AA52-4D4D1FA3A65C.jpeg
    A4F18963-07D4-4B6B-AA52-4D4D1FA3A65C.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 9
Interesting read. This school district police chief started out as a 911 dispatcher and worked his way up. He was born in Uvalde and lived there all his life. His department in Uvalde consists of 4 officers and 1 detective. That's it. Plus him as chief makes 6. He was so clearly out of his league with this.

I looked up Uvalde's crime stats today - in 2021 they had 0 (ZERO) murders and 8 rapes. This is small town America. Their LE is unexperienced with the violent criminal acts that urban and even suburban areas see more frequently.

Sadly, it seems that this guy is going to be the sacrificial lamb. He should have relinquished his command as soon as the other LE agencies were there.

JMHO

Interesting read. This school district police chief started out as a 911 dispatcher and worked his way up. He was born in Uvalde and lived there all his life. His department in Uvalde consists of 4 officers and 1 detective. That's it. Plus him as chief makes 6. He was so clearly out of his league with this.

I looked up Uvalde's crime stats today - in 2021 they had 0 (ZERO) murders and 8 rapes. This is small town America. Their LE is unexperienced with the violent criminal acts that urban and even suburban areas see more frequently.

Sadly, it seems that this guy is going to be the sacrificial lamb. He should have relinquished his command as soon as the other LE agencies were there.

JMHO
And this

"Arredondo was not at Friday's press conference to answer questions and it remains unconfirmed if he was even inside the school at the time of the shooting."

If there was a film taken of this event from beginning to end, we could rewind it pointing out every short fall that occurred up to his death. There: the open door, there: no officer on site, there: no armed teachers: etc etc etc. But the problem is the beginning of the event wasn't filmed when this young man was able to buy two high powered rifles online and ammunition used by US military.

Very insightful and illustrative post, @branmuffin

Personally, I'm going to disagree with you and many here, just about the aspect of arming teachers. We are products of our environments in many respects, and I am someone who has never handled a gun, nor had the least desire to learn how.

This is NYC, where certainly criminals get their hands on guns. However, in NYC proper, as opposed to the rest of NY state, this is not a gun culture for the average citizen. I've seen guns because my cousin is a Federal detective and my brother-in-law is a police captain, plus my husband and father-in-law used to go down to Virginia to hunt, but I've never touched one and don't want to.

I'm retired now but did teach for 25 years. All the teachers here on WS know that our job goes far, far beyond the academics. We play many roles in support of our students. When we are home we are still thinking about how to help the troubled kids, even as we grade essays and prepare lessons.

However, speaking only for myself, if the day had come that I'd be required to receive gun training and be armed in the classroom, that would be the day I'd have had to quit teaching.

I know myself. I would not be able to shoot that gun if need be, and I'd be as likely to accidentally shoot myself or an innocent child as to kill an intruder. It's just not something I could do, and not at all something that IMO is part of the job of a teacher.

To me, being expected to shoot somebody as a teacher would be expecting me to combine two very different occupations. It would be as foreign to my profession as asking me to pilot an airplane during class.

In all other ways I agree whole-heartedly with BranMuffin's post. Many things went wrong, starting from SR's social media texts not getting attention from authorities, to his ability to purchase assault rifles, to the door being propped open, to the delayed police response.

I thoroughly understand that many of my fellow Websleuthers grew up in gun cultures and are familiar and comfortable with guns, but I still maintain that the job of teaching should not require us to also do the job of law enforcement.

Jmo

ETA: Has there been any update on how the grandmother is doing? I haven't seen anything about her

Yea, he's in trouble now. Bet he even has a protection detail. Probably having various body parts handed to him over and over. Sucks to be him. But this is all not on just him. There were too many other "flags" and errors, As for the LE response - yea, it is going to be put all on him. Sad.

@ByMikeBaker

In the past two years, the Uvalde school district has hosted at least two active-shooter training days. One of them was just two months ago. The trainings included both classroom teachings and role-playing scenarios inside school hallways
(below).
The Uvalde training session 2 months ago relied on guidelines that give explicit expectations for officers responding to an active shooter. The training is clear: Time is of the essence. The “first priority is to move in and confront the attacker.”
Vital to "confront the attacker" • "Time is the number one enemy" • Immediate action can have "dramatic impact on reducing casualties" • Prioritize innocent lives over officer safety
A SINGLE OFFICER, the training says, may need to confront the suspect on their own.
Yes, and as I just heard one retired police expert say, "If they weren't prepared to do that, they shouldn't have become police officers." I asked my friend who is a very experienced RCMP officer, and she said, "In the last 5 years, we have all been trained strategically go into the area and take down the threat to prevent further loss of life. I can not speak to other police agencies."

@ByMikeBaker

(below).

Thank you!

Time is the number one enemy. Immediate action can have "dramatic impact on reducing casualties" Prioritize innocent lives over officer safety.

I don't know how much clearer the directions could have been. 20 years of study, analysis, debate, lectures, lessons learned, research, right out the window that day in Uvalde.

Some of the 21 that were killed while waiting and calling for help would be alive to celebrate Memorial Day if only the time proven protocols of 20 years were followed.

Personally, I'm going to disagree with you and many here, just about the aspect of arming teachers. We are products of our environments in many respects, and I am someone who has never handled a gun, nor had the least desire to learn how.

This is NYC, where certainly criminals get their hands on guns. However, in NYC proper, as opposed to the rest of NY state, this is not a gun culture for the average citizen. I've seen guns because my cousin is a Federal detective and my brother-in-law is a police captain, plus my husband and father-in-law used to go down to Virginia to hunt, but I've never touched one and don't want to.

I'm retired now but did teach for 25 years. All the teachers here on WS know that our job goes far, far beyond the academics. We play many roles in support of our students. When we are home we are still thinking about how to help the troubled kids, even as we grade essays and prepare lessons.

However, speaking only for myself, if the day had come that I'd be required to receive gun training and be armed in the classroom, that would be the day I'd have had to quit teaching.

I know myself. I would not be able to shoot that gun if need be, and I'd be as likely to accidentally shoot myself or an innocent child as to kill an intruder. It's just not something I could do, and not at all something that IMO is part of the job of a teacher.

To me, being expected to shoot somebody as a teacher would be expecting me to combine two very different occupations. It would be as foreign to my profession as asking me to pilot an airplane during class.

In all other ways I agree whole-heartedly with BranMuffin's post. Many things went wrong, starting from SR's social media texts not getting attention from authorities, to his ability to purchase assault rifles, to the door being propped open, to the delayed police response.

I thoroughly understand that many of my fellow Websleuthers grew up in gun cultures and are familiar and comfortable with guns, but I still maintain that the job of teaching should not require us to also do the job of law enforcement.

Jmo

ETA: Has there been any update on how the grandmother is doing? I haven't seen anything about her
Bravo Arkay. I agree with you 100%. I bet you were an amazing teacher!

The suspect had purchased 1,657 total rounds of ammunition – 315 rounds were found inside the school, said Steven McCraw, the director of the Texas Department of Public Safety.

A law enforcement source told CBS News that the amount of ammunition that the suspect brought with him is more than what an average U.S. soldier would go into basic combat with, apparently planning on a massive gun battle.

Now here is some genuinely interesting information - I kept hearing about how there have been a total of 213 mass shootings in 2022 yet so many of them did not make national news like this school shooting.

MASS SHOOTINGS IN 2022

Yes it is worth noting what cities so many of these shootings took place.

Put into perspective, the number of school shootings this year, which is 27:

School Shootings This Year: How Many and Where

Hmm...
Worth noting for what reason?
The feds determined that Salvador Ramos acted alone with no connection to outside groups.

Since the Border Patrol was active in the response, I'm hoping more will come of this

We have Texas DPS and their investigation, so hopefully the feds will provide another set of eyes.

It appears he didn't need an outside group to help him kill 21 humans.
Initially, I believed the door may have been unlocked because of the award assembly held at the school that concluded only about 30 minutes before the shoot was on campus.

However, after today's presser with the head of DPS, he provided that a teacher propped open the door to retrieve their phone (presumably from their vehicle parked outside). I don't think propping the door open is a regular occurrence.

Also, I believe the teacher propping open the door was detected by surveillance video so I do think video coverage exists at this location. MOO

I hope this teacher is not excoriated for doing something we all do.

The classroom doors were retrofitted to prohibit easy entry. It seems the shooter shot the relay glass panel on the interior door to the adjoining classroom which would allow him to reach inside and unlock the classroom door. MOO
Appending to my earlier post to add the account of 4th-grade survivor Miah Cerillo that told CNN that the shooter did shoot out the window of the hall entry door to the classroom (and not the internal door between rooms) just as her teacher approached the door after receiving an email that a shooter was in the building. Miah provides that after SR shot the door window, he entered and backed her teacher into the classroom where he said "Goodnight" and shot her point-blank.

She described it all happening so fast — her teacher backed into the classroom and the gunman followed. She told CNN he made eye contact with one of the teachers, said, “Goodnight,” and then shot her.

He opened fire, shooting the other teacher and many of Miah’s friends. She said bullets flew by her, and fragments hit her shoulders and head. The girl was later treated at the hospital and released with fragment wounds; she described to CNN that clumps of her hair were falling out now.

Miah said after shooting students in her class, the gunman went through a door into an adjoining classroom. She heard screams, and the sound of shots in that classroom. After the shots stopped, though, she says the shooter started playing loud music – sad music, she said.

The girl and a friend managed to get her dead teacher’s phone and call 911 for help. She said she told a dispatcher, “Please come … we’re in trouble.”

Miah said she was scared the gunman would return to her classroom to kill her and a few other surviving friends. So, she dipped her hands in the blood of a classmate – who lay next to her, already dead – and then smeared the blood all over herself to play dead.

Miah said it felt like three hours that she lay there, covered in her classmate’s blood, with her friends.

ETA: So the question remains, why did LE have to wait for the door key from the janitor when the door window was already fractured (i.e., allowing LE to reach inside and unlock the door)? Perhaps because the shooter had barricaded himself in the adjoining classroom? My heart breaks for this brave girl and her classmates! :(

Last edited:
Yea, he's in trouble now. Bet he even has a protection detail. Probably having various body parts handed to him over and over. Sucks to be him. But this is all not on just him. There were too many other "flags" and errors, As for the LE response - yea, it is going to be put all on him. Sad.
I believe there will be many that will be held accountable. Many.

Jmo

Maybe teachers could stay remote and teach via zoom. They could then teach class in multiple schools at the same time. The cost savings would allow schools to be staffed with more armed security guards.

JMO

Appending to my earlier post to add the account of 4th-grade survivor Miah Cerillo that told CNN that the shooter did shoot out the window of the hall entry door to the classroom (and not the internal door between rooms) just as her teacher approached the door after receiving an email that a shooter was in the building. Miah provides that after SR shot the door, he entered and backed her teacher into the classroom where he said "Goodnight" and shot her point-blank.

She described it all happening so fast — her teacher backed into the classroom and the gunman followed. She told CNN he made eye contact with one of the teachers, said, “Goodnight,” and then shot her.

He opened fire, shooting the other teacher and many of Miah’s friends. She said bullets flew by her, and fragments hit her shoulders and head. The girl was later treated at the hospital and released with fragment wounds; she described to CNN that clumps of her hair were falling out now.

Miah said after shooting students in her class, the gunman went through a door into an adjoining classroom. She heard screams, and the sound of shots in that classroom. After the shots stopped, though, she says the shooter started playing loud music – sad music, she said.

The girl and a friend managed to get her dead teacher’s phone and call 911 for help. She said she told a dispatcher, “Please come … we’re in trouble.”

Miah said she was scared the gunman would return to her classroom to kill her and a few other surviving friends. So, she dipped her hands in the blood of a classmate – who lay next to her, already dead – and then smeared the blood all over herself to play dead.

Miah said it felt like three hours that she lay there, covered in her classmate’s blood, with her friends.

ETA: So the question remains, why did LE have to wait for the door key from the janitor when the window was already fractured (i.e., allowing LE to reach inside and unlock the door)? My heart breaks for this brave girl and her classmates! :(
He kept shooting at the LE at the door. AR-15's will go through body armor like butter. Plus they were acting on command to "hold". They needed a key because they could kneel (below) the window and unlock the door - instead of reaching in, drawing his attention and getting shot themselves.

Maybe teachers could stay remote and teach via zoom. They could then teach class in multiple schools at the same time. The cost savings would allow schools to be staffed with more armed security guards.

JMO
This happened down here in Florida when zoom school first started back in 2020. So you can't stop this.

Plus, online school does not work. These kids aren't learning.

"Florida child's mother shot and killed during online Zoom class as teacher watches​

The shooting happened Tuesday at a home in Indiantown, about 30 miles southwest of Port St. Lucie, just after 8 a.m."

Worth noting for what reason?

It appears he didn't need an outside group to help him kill 21 humans.

I hope this teacher is not excoriated for doing something we all do.
I can’t agree about the teacher. He or she has a critical, trained role in ensuring student safety. He or she failed. I am empathetic, but it is a career-ending mistake.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member