TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need both more access to firearms, and background mental illness.

Just because it wasn't pre-diagnosed or because it doesn't fit into the current DSM doesn't mean it didn't exist.

The US is one of the only places in the world where an 18 year old can buy an unlimited number of guns and ammunition with almost no restrictions what-so-ever.

The US has no ability for friends, relatives, coworkers, teachers, social workers, mental health professionals, or Dr.s to flag someone so they can't buy a gun.

There are two sides to this insanity- the people who commit these crimes and the people who deny it.
Your post is absolutely spot on.

I had an old article about this topic but can’t locate it now. But yes, in part, it was to prevent people from copying the page, editing, then reposting it, pretending they were the perp.

Social media sites are now acting accordingly, to prevent proliferation. After the Buffalo shooting Twitter responded.
“We believe the hateful and discriminatory views promoted in content produced by perpetrators are harmful for society and that their dissemination should be limited in order to prevent perpetrators from publicizing their message,” Twitter said in a statement.

IMO, while I believe any videos/manifestos should be taken down promptly following a violent incident so they can't be accessed by the general public, I do believe they should be archived somewhere and made accessible only to researchers (and obviously LE) studying violent extremism and other related topics.

I am crying for those families. I cannot imagine what those parents are feeling tonight, or the family of the teacher. Or any person in that school or community. I wonder how the parents of Sandy Hook are feeling tonight. Our country needs to feel ashamed of itself right now.
Why should this entire country be ashamed of the evil person that did this? I'm not "ashamed", I'm angry that this evil person chose to do this, but, I'm not responsible for this evil man's actions.
Nor, for sure is our entire country. Best to place the blame on the perpetrator, not this country.
Just my opinion. Very sad today. I can't even imagine the pain of all affected. What a terrible, heartbreaking, senseless act.

The woman posted messages she said were from a stranger who tagged her in a gun post on Instagram. “I got lil secret. I wanna tell you,” one message said.

“I don’t know him and I don’t even live in Texas,” she wrote in her story. “He’s a stranger. I know nothing about him. He decided to tag me in his gun post. So sorry for the victims and their families. I really don’t know what to say.”

The woman shared message exchanges on Instagram that she believes were with the shooter.

“Be grateful I tagged you,” he wrote in one message she shared. “No it’s just scary…” she wrote back.

“I’m about to,” he wrote in a message but did not elaborate.

“About to what?” she asked.

“I’ll tell you before 11,” he wrote.

The shooting occurred at noon.

“The only reason I responded to him was because I was afraid of him. I wish I stayed awake to at least try to convince him to not commit his crime. I don’t know,” she wrote in her story.

I wish we were better than this. We are not. Maybe one day we will be. Maybe. But now? This is what we have become.
And if you think you're safe and you don't need to worry about this, you're not.

My daughter was 4 blocks away when the shooter in Buffalo struck. She heard the shots and saw the police cars.

This is everybody's problem.

18 children dead, three adults dead. Just reported on CNN per Texas Rangers

It is absolutely heartbreaking to see the updates and the number of fatalities increasing. Thank you to you and everyone here for your updates they are much appreciated. Sincere condolences to the families of all the pupils and the adults who have tragically died, I’m so sorry for their loss. I hope and pray that the injured victims survive. My thoughts and prayers are with all the child and adult victims who have died , the loved ones of all the victims, all the injured, all the pupils at the school, all the school staff, and the people of Uvalde, Texas who are in mourning.

AD497B27-FD9C-4458-AAA3-BD921A8740CE.gif

May all the victims who have tragically died Rest In Peace.

It is absolutely heartbreaking to see the updates and the number of fatalities increasing. Thank you to you and everyone here for your updates they are much appreciated. Sincere condolences to the families of all the pupils and the adults who have tragically died, I’m so sorry for their loss. I hope and pray that the injured victims survive. My thoughts and prayers are with all the child and adult victims who have died , the loved ones of all the victims, all the injured, all the pupils at the school, all the school staff, and the people of Uvalde, Texas who are in mourning.

View attachment 345798

May all the victims who have tragically died Rest In Peace.
Amen!!!!

This is horrific. When I was in school we had tornado drills, that’s it. The fact that there have to be active shooter drills at schools just blows my mind. I still remember crying privately when my then-kindergartner explained them to me - “Mrs. (teacher) says she’s our momma bear and we’re her baby cubs and momma bears don’t ever let anyone hurt her cubs.”

Why should this entire country be ashamed of the evil person that did this? I'm not "ashamed", I'm angry that this evil person chose to do this, but, I'm not responsible for this evil man's actions.
Nor, for sure is our entire country. Best to place the blame on the perpetrator, not this country.
Just my opinion. Very sad today. I can't even imagine the pain of all affected. What a terrible, heartbreaking, senseless act.
After 9/11, we as a nation made major changes to prevent such a tragedy from happening again––we created a federal agency for airport security (TSA), we created security checkpoints, we installed metal detectors and x-ray scanners, and we established secure airport terminals that only verified, ticketed passengers could access.

What have we done after Virginia Tech? After Sandy Hook? After Marjory Stoneman Douglas?

Despite hundreds of young people dying as the result of senseless violence, we haven't done anything to try and prevent such incidents from happening in the future, which is why they continue apace.

For those saying that it's impossible to watch everyone and to avoid these tragedies. It isn't. An attack at a University was prevented in my country because the suspect was being watched online. The irony is that it was the FBI that contacted the authorities in my country about this person. So, why can't the FBI monitor people in the US too? This is 100% preventable.

Man, 18 innocent children gone.

An 18-year-old gunman opened fire Tuesday at a Texas elementary school, killing at least 18 children, officials said, and the gunman was dead.

The death toll also included three adults, according to state Sen. Roland Gutierrez, who said he was briefed by state police on the fatalities. But it was not immediately clear whether that number included the assailant.
SNIPPED:
Federal law enforcement officials said the death toll was expected to rise. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to release investigative details.

ADMIN NOTE:
In the face of such unspeakable tragedy, Websleuths tries to be a place where members can come to get factual information while working through the emotions that are brought forth by this type of horrific news. Websleuths has long stated that generalized debate about society’s ills does not belong here because it cannot be solved through discussion on a true crime forum. If there was a possibility that point/counterpoint arguments on our forum would prevent the next tragedy, Websleuths would allow it. Those critical discussions should absolutely take place, but not here. Please do not debate guns, politics, mental illness, inherent evil, or other generalized topics that can only lead to conflict on this thread. Thank you for respecting Websleuths guidelines on this. May love and light lead the way in this dark time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member