TX TX - Vidor, near I-10, WhtFem 12-20, 72UFTX (UP4574), Skeletal, previous braces, Jan'84

I live in Kent County, Grand Rapids. I was Deenie Marie Peters age, when she disappeared. Since..... I have followed closely, as every year, especially the major dates, the story is shown light.
The resemblance is chilling, her mother and step father live out of state now. Possibly Texas or Arizona (if I remember correctly). The Kent County Sheriffs Department has a Cold Case team, and this case is one they are working on. My boss, is a retired Kent County Sheriff Department Detective. Is there any information (other than the braces-which I am currently checking on), that I can help with? I am new here and not sure how it all works, but I am willing to try. I would love to help.
Thank you

Missing since Oct. 26, 1983 from Santa Fe Texas, 14 years old at time of disappearance
http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/mpccn/ramber.html

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/72uftx.html

# Unidentified White Female Located on January 1, 1984 in Orange County, Texas
# The victim was deceased for at least one year prior to discovery.
# Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 13-18 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 4'10-5'2"; weight unknown.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown, thick hair. Eyecolor unknown.
* Clothing: She was wearing a blue and white terry cloth, short-sleeved shirt,
Present Company brand, Junior size 9-12. A green comb.
* Dentals: Evidence suggests that she previously wore braces on her teeth,
although there were none present when she was discovered. Mandible not recovered.
* DNA: in CODIS

Case History
The victim was located south of Interstate 10, at the Highway 1132 overpass. The remains were found by a property owner in a wooded area near FM 1135 on New Year's Day 1984.
A forensic anthropologist with Texas State University reviewed the remains in 2008, and believes the bones had been there for about a year before being found. The cause of death is a possible decapitation. With Interstate 10 being so accessible to the location, police feel that she was dumped on the property, but since so much time had passed before being found there is no way of knowing for sure.

First off I would like to tell you all how happy I am to have found this website. I've been searching and comparing at the doe network for a while now, and am so happy to see that there is a website in which cooperative investigation, ideas, leads, etc. can be shared. I hope to get to know the other members better and to aid in any way I can in helping to bring at least a minimal amount of closure to families and loved ones of unidentified victims.

the picture is close, but the teeth and height difference make me wonder...

I agree. The height difference is a factor, but I wondered how accurate their estimation was given the state her remains were found in. I also noted that the eyes were a bit closer in the sketch than Sondra's were, but again can't help but see the similarities in face shape, distance between features, etc.

While I agree that there is a resemblance- Sondra went missing at the end of October in 1983 and the UID was found in January of 1984 and her file states that she was there for at least a year. I would say based on that (and assuming Sondra's missing date is accurate) that this is not a match. Good searching though.

You're probably right Jules. Thank you both for your replies. Can someone tell me what LE stands for? I've been seeing it all over this site and can't for the life of me figure out what it means. Sorry if this is a silly question.

You're probably right Jules. Thank you both for your replies. Can someone tell me what LE stands for? I've been seeing it all over this site and can't for the life of me figure out what it means. Sorry if this is a silly question.

Not a silly question at all. I still see abbreviations on here and don't know what they mean.

LE = Law Enforcement

tac! welcome and we are glad to have you!!
I'd stick with that uid and keep searching!! Good work!

I would find out if it has ever been submitted. I have seen several cases of ages, heights, dates found and dates missing were way off.

Thank you Jules! I can't believe I couldn't figure that out, lol. Thanks for the encouragement y'all, I truly appreciate it and plan to keep pursuing this UID. For some reason I feel compelled to do this. Again, I'm so glad to have found this site! From what I've seen there is a wonderful group of people here and I feel honored to be welcomed by you.

Mesa police now think story of girl lost in '82 has sad end

by Nathan Gonzalez - Jul. 26, 2009 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

For 27 years, Mindi Chambers' aunts refused to change their phone numbers, hoping that one day she'd call.

Maybe she ran away, they thought. Maybe she was living in Utah, trying to put a life of tragedy and abuse behind her.

They don't believe that anymore.

Seventeen-year-old Mindi Chambers vanished in 1982, three days after she told Mesa police her father was molesting her.

There is little evidence that any significant investigation into the molestation occurred, and all indications are that her disappearance was treated as just another runaway.

In fact, Mindi Chambers fell so far through the cracks that it took 13 years for someone to even file a missing persons report.

Now, after nearly three decades, police think they know the ending to the story of a sad, tortured life made even sadder by a system that failed her.

Mindi was 2 when her mother was found dead in the bathtub of their home in Yonkers, N.Y.

Family and police suspected Mindi's father, Allen Chambers, of killing his wife, yet none could provide proof.

"Allen appeared on my doorstep that day he found Mary," said Richie Smith, a retired New York detective who was once married to Mindi's aunt, Kali Smith. "He had scratches on his face and arms, yet he was never brought up on charges. They said they had no evidence."

Soon after, Allen Chambers assaulted a woman and was sentenced to seven years in prison.

He sent Mindi to live with his mother in Chandler. When she died, Mindi went to live with an aunt, Carin Brauer of Phoenix, who still has photos of Mindi in a long Easter dress.

"Mindi was a good little girl," she said. "Her and Kathy, my middle child, were inseparable."

When Mindi turned 5, Chambers was released and demanded custody of her. With no legal avenue to stop him and with her hands full with her own kids, Brauer handed Mindi over.

Chambers became controlling and began shutting family members out. Contact and phone calls between Mindi and her aunts stopped.

Family members saw little of Mindi or her father in the intervening years.

Then on Oct. 16, 1982, Mindi went to police and said her father had been molesting her for five years, said Det. Michael Melendez, a Mesa police spokesman.

Records show that Child Protective Services immediately placed her in the care of her stepmother, Pat Chambers, who was in the process of divorcing Allen Chambers.

"Three days later she goes missing," Melendez said, "and nobody reported it."

In 1995, Brauer learned Mindi had never been reported missing and asked police to look into it.

When officers followed up with Pat Chambers, she said Mindi had helped her get her children ready for school the day she disappered, but wasn't home when she returned from work.

She found Mindi's purse, ID and other personal items she left behind.

In a recent interview with the Republic, Chambers wouldn't say why she didn't report Mindi missing, though the girl's aunts said she had run away before.

"I loved her dearly, and I miss her," Chambers said. "There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of her."

Police records
indicate a CPS contacted Allen Chambers by phone about the molestation six days after Mindi went to police, but Chambers hung up.

There is no indication of any further investigation. CPS officials said last week that they could not comment without researching the case further.

On New Year's Day, 1984, the body of a young girl was discovered near Houston, Texas, in a wooded area south of Interstate 10. It appeared the body had been there about a year and had been decapitated.

With no report of a missing girl from Mesa to go on, no connection was ever made.

Last year, however, a forensic anthropologist with Texas State University re-examined the remains and determined that they belonged to a 14 to 18-year-old girl, 4-foot 10-inches to 5-foot 2-inches tall, with brown hair. The girl had once worn braces on her teeth, as Mindi had.

A forensic sketch of the victim bears a striking resemblance to Mindi Chambers.

"When you look at all these things, it appears this is the girl," Melendez said.

Police have been unable to locate a source for Mindi's dental records. They conducted a DNA test on a half-sister, but there was no match. However, DNA from a paternal blood relative would tell for sure.

That is unlikely. Allen Chambers, a long-haul trucker, died in 1994 when he fell asleep at the wheel on a rain-slick Virginia highway.

"It's amazing that almost 30 years later, this is so raw," said Kali Smith, an aunt who now lives near Coco Beach, Fla.

"We tried so hard to get her away from him. The man was dangerous," Smith said. "It's still so raw because you feel like you've failed a child."

Anyone with information is asked to call the Mesa Police Department at 480-644-2211.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/07/26/20090726chambers0726.html

Doe profile: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/72uftx.html

Vital Statistics

• [*]Estimated age: 13-18 years old
    [*]Approximate Height and Weight: 4'10-5'2"; weight unknown.
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown, thick hair. Eyecolor unknown.
    [*]Clothing: She was wearing a blue and white terry cloth, short-sleeved shirt,
    Present Company brand, Junior size 9-12. A green comb.
    [*]Dentals: Evidence suggests that she previously wore braces on her teeth,
    although there were none present when she was discovered. Mandible not recovered.
    [*]DNA: in CODIS

Case History
The victim was located south of Interstate 10, at the Highway 1132 overpass. The remains were found by a property owner in a wooded area near FM 1135 on New Year's Day 1984.
A forensic anthropologist with Texas State University reviewed the remains in 2008, and believes the bones had been there for about a year before being found. The cause of death is a possible decapitation. With Interstate 10 being so accessible to the location, police feel that she was dumped on the property, but since so much time had passed before being found there is no way of knowing for sure.

Mindy Chambers profile: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2638dfaz.html

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: May 28, 1965
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 17 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'10" (147 cm); 86 lbs (39 kg)
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Sandy hair; brown eyes.
  • Dentals: Not available. Mindi had prior orthodontic treatment, as her braces were removed in 1980.
  • DNA: Available in CODIS

Circumstances of Disappearance
Mindi Chambers was was last seen walking her stepsister to school on the 2100 block of East University Drive, in Mesa. She left behind her purse, ID and other personal items. She was not reported missing until April 17, 1995, by her aunt. She was last seen three days after she told Mesa police her father had been molesting her for five years. Child Protective Services immediately placed her in the care of her stepmother, who said Mindi had helped her get her children ready for school the day she disappeared, but wasn't home when she returned from work.
Her father had previously been sentenced to seven years in prison for assaulting a woman. He was also a suspect in the death of Mindy's mother in 1984. He died in 1994.

Maz

:cow:

If both have DNA in CODIS, wouldn't they have already been compared?

Last year, however, a forensic anthropologist with Texas State University re-examined the remains and determined that they belonged to a 14 to 18-year-old girl, 4-foot 10-inches to 5-foot 2-inches tall, with brown hair. The girl had once worn braces on her teeth, as Mindi had.
"When you look at all these things, it appears this is the girl," Melendez said.
Police have been unable to locate a source for Mindi's dental records. They conducted a DNA test on a half-sister, but there was no match. However, DNA from a paternal blood relative would tell for sure.
That is unlikely. Allen Chambers, a long-haul trucker, died in 1994 when he fell asleep at the wheel on a rain-slick Virginia highway.

I don't recall reading about any other males family members. Can they exhume his body?

BBM

Maz

I don't recall reading about any other males family members. Can they exhume his body?

BBM

Maz

What about mitochondrial DNA... Since it is passed through the mother, they could get a family member from her mothers family (aunt, cousins) and compair the mtDNA.

BBM

Maz

The article is incorrect. It should have said that DNA from a maternal blood relative would tell for sure.

They were unable to extract nucDNA from the unidentified remains. All they have is mtDNA. Mindy's mother died when she was a baby, and they are unable to locate anyone on the maternal side of Mindy's family. Without a maternal relative they cannot do a mtDNA comparison.

Mindy's aunt and half-sister are both from the father's side of the family, and their nucDNA is entered in CODIS. However, samples from paternal relatives will enable CODIS to compare to UID's for whom they have developed nucDNA profiles.

Therefore, they are at a standstill. They can't find dental records for Mindi. They can't find any of Mindi's maternal relatives to do a mtDNA comparison. And they don't have a nucDNA sample on the UID to do a nucDNA comparison to her paternal relatives.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back