TX TX - Vidor, near I-10, WhtFem 12-20, 72UFTX (UP4574), Skeletal, previous braces, Jan'84

if DNA did not exist, I assume they would have matched this as everything fits, especially the history of having worn braces.

Hi there, thought this looked like a possibility and wondered what everyone out there thought? Mindi fits the time frame for the Jane Doe and had just had her braces removed. She also is the right height and bares a good resemblance to the Jane Doe sketch.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/72uftx.html

Unidentified White Female
•Located on January 1, 1984 in Orange County, Texas
•The victim was deceased for at least one year prior to discovery.
•Skeletal Remains

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

•Estimated age: 13-18 years old
•Approximate Height and Weight: 4'10-5'2"; weight unknown.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown, thick hair. Eye color unknown.
•Clothing: She was wearing a blue and white terry cloth, short-sleeved shirt,
Present Company brand, Junior size 9-12. A green comb.
•Dentals: Evidence suggests that she previously wore braces on her teeth,
although there were none present when she was discovered. Mandible not recovered.
•DNA: in CODIS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case History
The victim was located south of Interstate 10, at the Highway 1132 overpass. The remains were found by a property owner in a wooded area near FM 1135 on New Year's Day 1984.
A forensic anthropologist with Texas State University reviewed the remains in 2008, and believes the bones had been there for about a year before being found. The cause of death is a possible decapitation. With Interstate 10 being so accessible to the location, police feel that she was dumped on the property, but since so much time had passed before being found there is no way of knowing for sure.

Mindi Chambers
Missing since October 19, 1982 from Mesa, Maricopa County, Arizona
Classification: Endangered Missing

www.doenetwork.org/cases/2638dfaz.html

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: May 28, 1965
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 17 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'10" (147 cm); 86 lbs (39 kg)
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Sandy hair; brown eyes.
•Dentals: Not available. Mindi had prior orthodontic treatment, as her braces were removed in 1980.
•DNA: Available in CODIS

Circumstances of Disappearance
Mindi Chambers was was last seen walking her stepsister to school on the 2100 block of East University Drive, in Mesa. She left behind her purse, ID and other personal items. She was not reported missing until April 17, 1995, by her aunt. She was last seen three days after she told Mesa police her father had been molesting her for five years. Child Protective Services immediately placed her in the care of her stepmother, who said Mindi had helped her get her children ready for school the day she disappeared, but wasn't home when she returned from work.
Her father had previously been sentenced to seven years in prison for assaulting a woman. He was also a suspect in the death of Mindy's mother in 1984. He died in 1994.

rcoope23,

CarlK mentioned on a thread for a different Jane Doe that LE is confident this doe is Mindi, however they can not prove it because she has no living maternal relatives, and her dental records have been lost.

Well that's so sad that there is no way to no for sure:( The poor Jane Doe deserves her real name.

oddly each Doe Network profile says DNA is in Codis. is this another one with a mismatch, i.e. one is mitochondrial and the other is nuclear?

rcoope23,

CarlK mentioned on a thread for a different Jane Doe that LE is confident this doe is Mindi, however they can not prove it because she has no living maternal relatives, and her dental records have been lost.

It would seem to me if there is zero chance for a definitive match-up, Mindi should be removed from doenetwork because anyone else who comes across Mindi is going to waste time trying to match her with a UID only to find out it's impossible.

Why waste anyone's time when so many others need to be matched that have the potential for being matched?

I guess no system is perfect, but when room for improvement is seen, the initiative should be taken.

It would seem to me if there is zero chance for a definitive match-up, Mindi should be removed from doenetwork because anyone else who comes across Mindi is going to waste time trying to match her with a UID only to find out it's impossible.

Why waste anyone's time when so many others need to be matched that have the potential for being matched?

I guess no system is perfect, but when room for improvement is seen, the initiative should be taken.

That's not entirely true that there is zero chance for a definitive match-up.

In the event that this UID was not Mindi, there is still the chance that the UID and Mindi could be matched up to their correct counterparts.

The UID has mtDNA available but no nucDNA. Mindi has familial nucDNA from paternal relatives available and in CODIS. But no maternal relatives are available to provide a mtDNA sample.

The two DNA types are incompatible for comparison, but if this is not Mindi, the UID could be matched up if a MP case with mtDNA from maternal relatives was input to CODIS. And Mindi could be matched up to a UID with nucDNA available.

However, since this UID is probably Mindi, the above is all academic.

I guess if LE really wanted to (and it was possible/legal?) they could exhume one of Mindi's maternal pre-deceased relatives, if they knew anything about her family or if anyone was able to help them determine who to exhume to get a sample from. Kind of unconventional but it would get the sample they needed.

I guess if LE really wanted to (and it was possible/legal?) they could exhume one of Mindi's maternal pre-deceased relatives, if they knew anything about her family or if anyone was able to help them determine who to exhume to get a sample from. Kind of unconventional but it would get the sample they needed.

The operative words are "If LE really wanted to".

I suspect that they probably don't care to put forth the money and effort.

72UFTX.jpg
72UFTX1.jpg

Located on January 1, 1984 in Orange County, Texas

• The victim was deceased for at least one year prior to discovery.

• Skeletal Remains

• 13-18 years old
  • 4'10-5'2"; weight unknown.
  • Brown, thick hair. Eye color unknown.
  • She was wearing a blue and white terry cloth, short-sleeved shirt, Present Company brand, Junior size 9-12. A green comb.
  • Evidence suggests that she previously wore braces on her teeth, although there were none present when she was discovered. Mandible not recovered

The victim was found on New Year's Day, 1984 near I-10 at the hwy 1132 overpass. Cause of death might have been decapitation.
http://doenetwork.org/cases/72uftx.html

He was also a suspect in the death of Mindy's mother in 1984.

Typo? If Mindi was 2 when her mother died, and she was born in 1965, that can't be right. Also, that's 2 years AFTER Mindi went missing.

From what I understand of mtDNA, it's passed on from a mother to all of her children. So the relatives of Mindy that would have the same mtDNA are her full siblings, mother, full siblings of mother, maternal grandmother, her full siblings, and any of maternal grandmother's sister's children, etc., etc.

Wish I still had my ancestry.com account. Are we sure that somewhere in time there is no living female relative of the same mtDNA line? Even if it is someone farther up in the family tree who may not have known Mindy? From what I understand, the rate of mutation for mtDNA is not rapid....is it not entirely possible that some fourth cousin could have the same mtDNA profile as Mindy?

I went into Ancestry, and see that they have two of her high school yearbooks - Mountain View HS (Mesa AZ) 1981 and 1982 (her sophomore and junior years)

Here is her junior year photo which I had not seen before.

2359732270045078242S500x500Q851.jpg

1200+ miles away - not where I thought they'd find Mindi

Wish they'd prove it one way or the other.

From what I understand of mtDNA, it's passed on from a mother to all of her children. So the relatives of Mindy that would have the same mtDNA are her full siblings, mother, full siblings of mother, maternal grandmother, her full siblings, and any of maternal grandmother's sister's children, etc., etc.

Wish I still had my ancestry.com account. Are we sure that somewhere in time there is no living female relative of the same mtDNA line? Even if it is someone farther up in the family tree who may not have known Mindy? From what I understand, the rate of mutation for mtDNA is not rapid....is it not entirely possible that some fourth cousin could have the same mtDNA profile as Mindy?

I find it hard to believe that there are no living maternal relatives at all. however, unless we knew what Mindi's mother's maiden name was then we have no way of trying to figure out who they were.

The article is incorrect. It should have said that DNA from a maternal blood relative would tell for sure.

They were unable to extract nucDNA from the unidentified remains. All they have is mtDNA. Mindy's mother died when she was a baby, and they are unable to locate anyone on the maternal side of Mindy's family. Without a maternal relative they cannot do a mtDNA comparison.

Mindy's aunt and half-sister are both from the father's side of the family, and their nucDNA is entered in CODIS. However, samples from paternal relatives will enable CODIS to compare to UID's for whom they have developed nucDNA profiles.

Therefore, they are at a standstill. They can't find dental records for Mindi. They can't find any of Mindi's maternal relatives to do a mtDNA comparison. And they don't have a nucDNA sample on the UID to do a nucDNA comparison to her paternal relatives.

Carl, I found Mindi's mother's maiden name I have a decent shot at contacting someone from Mindi's mother's family. She had at least one sister (who might be deceased) but who are we looking for? ANYONE related by blood to Mindi's mother or only females related by blood to the mother? does it matter how far removed (i.e. any cousin from the mother's side)?

Carl, I found Mindi's mother's maiden name I have a decent shot at contacting someone from Mindi's mother's family. She had at least one sister (who might be deceased) but who are we looking for? ANYONE related by blood to Mindi's mother or only females related by blood to the mother? does it matter how far removed (i.e. any cousin from the mother's side)?

Potential FRS contributors for Mitochondrial DNA could include (though not all-inclusive):
* Siblings - M or F, as long as they have the same mother (we already know that there are none)
* Maternal Aunts or Uncles - (i.e., Any of her mother's siblings (M or F) whose mother is also Mindy's grandmother)
* Maternal Grandmother
* Cousins (M or F) on the mother's side - (i.e., Any children of her mother's sister whose grandmother is also Mindy's grandmother would qualify - However, children of her mother's brother would not qualify)
* 2nd Cousins (M or F) (i.e., Any children of the female cousins above)

there is reference in a link to a news item that tied Mindi to the UID to a maternal relative named Kali Smith living in FL. so LE must know that a maternal relative exists, the question is whether they realize the significance of it.

how does this email sound?

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am a private citizen and I have followed to some extent the missing persons case of Mindi Chambers. I believe it is your case # 1995-1070-353.

As I understand it, the only DNA that is available for Mindi is nuclear DNA from her father's family and that your office has no DNA sample from any of Mindi's maternal relatives. To your knowledge has anyone requested a family reference sample from a maternal relative?

Mindi's mother's name was M--- ----- Chambers. (see link which as articles about her death).

[omitted here]

I have ascertained that she has two living sisters, K------ Smith and [redacted], both of whom live in Florida. K------, nicknamed Kali, resides at [redacted] . her phone number might be either [redacted] .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back