Identified! TX - Williamson Co., 'Orange Socks' WhtFem 33UFTX, 15-30, off I-35, Oct'79 - Debra Jackson

I believe there are some agencies that have projects under way to get as many old records as possible on line. I don't know how many use voluteers. I'm not sure it would work for fingerprint cards because it's not just a matter of entering data, they have to be coded properly, which requires an expert.

There would certainly be logistical and other considerations in using volunteers on a digitisation of these records. Firstly to ensure that volunteers did not conveniently forget to digitise their own records. Secondly because of the nature of the records using non-US volunteers might not be acceptable. And thirdly because there would need to be a way of actually making the records available to volunteers.

Not knowing what the coding systems look like (and there may be standardisation issues there as well if different jurisdictions use differing systems) I obviously don't know what the issues might be or how much training might be needed. Maybe looking at zooniverse projects might help in developing ideas about how volunteers can be taught to deal with unfamiliar data.

Zooniverse

There would certainly be logistical and other considerations in using volunteers on a digitisation of these records. Firstly to ensure that volunteers did not conveniently forget to digitise their own records. Secondly because of the nature of the records using non-US volunteers might not be acceptable. And thirdly because there would need to be a way of actually making the records available to volunteers.

Not knowing what the coding systems look like (and there may be standardisation issues there as well if different jurisdictions use differing systems) I obviously don't know what the issues might be or how much training might be needed. Maybe looking at zooniverse projects might help in developing ideas about how volunteers can be taught to deal with unfamiliar data.

Zooniverse

I passed your suggestions on to a local LEO I know. Don't know whether anything will come of it...

Namus MP3881 Alma Violet Root really looks like this doe. The boyfriend who reported her missing may have given false missing date and false stats. He lied about her going to see her aunt in a town the family said she had no aunt. Her age, near missing date, off by two months, and likeness is so close, Look at her teeth. and the shape of her nose and eyebrows. Here's a link to the post mortem showing teeth. Orange Socks

Attachments

• 3881_25136.jpg
    3881_25136.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 29
Namus MP3881 Alma Violet Root really looks like this doe. The boyfriend who reported her missing may have given false missing date and false stats. He lied about her going to see her aunt in a town the family said she had no aunt. Her age, near missing date, off by two months, and likeness is so close, Look at her teeth. and the shape of her nose and eyebrows. Here's a link to the post mortem showing teeth. Orange Socks

They're incredibly similar, I'm quite impressed! But I think they're not a match because: Alma has a tattoo on her chest, I haven't read of OS having any, their noses are very different and the height is off a few inches :-/

I read that and wondered if the family knew she had a tattoo or not. The boyfriend was caught lying, so who knows if he was the one that reported her facts and said she had a tattoo. I think this could be her, but, with a lot of weight gain, and if we are looking at a preteen picture or if it was current makes a difference, also, if she was beaten, there would be areas of swelling. Forehead could be swollen and skin pulled too tight after autopsy. One time I had an allergic reaction and my lips swelled up like four times the size of normal. Anyway, thanks for your input. It's nice to have a place to talk about my thoughts, even when I'm way off. haha!

Alma has been proposed as a match before and ruled out by Carl and I believe officially by LE/Namus.

Her stats don't line up. Her LKA date wasn't off by 2 months, it was firm "the day after new year's day" is when her sister and grandmother reported her missing.

IMO, Alma never left the state of CA.

Detectives get a break in the "Orange Socks" cold case murder

"With testing of all the evidence and trying to identify her, the lab indicated they found a presence of another contributor to her DNA sample,” said Pokorny.

That means, DNA from another person was at the scene. So who is this other person? Authorities believe advances in DNA testing can eventually give us that answer. It could officially rule out the now deceased Henry Lee Lucas, or rule him "in."

"This news was a big turn of events for us, it gives us high hopes that we will identify her and hopefully a suspect," said Pokorny.

As they await lab results, detectives continue to sift through any and all evidence, as they feel it is their duty to seek justice for everyone, including victims like Orange Socks.

"Our job is to be a voice for her and that's why we are looking forward to identifying her,” said Pokorny

New evidence surfaces in decades old Central Texas murder case

Williamson County Sheriff Robert Chody posted a message on Sept. 28 on the department's Facebook page that said: "UPDATE ON COLD CASE/ORANGE SOCK: Preliminary forensic evidence testing shows Orange Socks DNA as well as possibly another DNA contributor. Unknown how much or if the other contributors quantity is sufficient for further testing. Still in preliminary testing stages."

Patricia Gutierrez, media spokeswoman for the sheriff's office, said Thursday cold case detectives would not reveal the source of the DNA, but the victim was unclothed except for her socks, so there's nowhere else the sample could have come from because her body is buried.

Gutierrez said it would take 60 to 90 days for the pending test to be finalized, depending on how backed up the testing laboratory is, but if there is testable DNA found, the result eventually could lead to the real killer's identity after the sample is submitted top national DNA banks through which a match could be found.

DNA Doe Project

• Orange Socks Jane Doe (Williamson Co, TX) – extraction successful. [CORRECTION:] Ready to send to sequencing lab - holding for discussion first.

DNA Doe Project

• Orange Socks Jane Doe (Williamson Co, TX) – extraction successful. [CORRECTION:] Ready to send to sequencing lab - holding for discussion first.

So are they implying they may have found her perp's DNA as well? Could that also be why they're holding for discussion because DDP doesn't want to participate in the criminal aspect of it? I bet they never thought they'd be sucked in by accident/chance, if that's the case.

So are they implying they may have found her perp's DNA as well? Could that also be why they're holding for discussion because DDP doesn't want to participate in the criminal aspect of it? I bet they never thought they'd be sucked in by accident/chance, if that's the case.

LE believe's the additional DNA could be her killers it also could finally rule in or out if Lucas truly did it. Ya know there was some speculation as to wether he actually killed her or not.

It could of been DDP that caught the additional DNA after the extraction that would give pause to hold things for a moment. As long as they have one clear DNA file that is OCJD think they will move foward with her alone.... and give the questional DNA file back to LE and let them handle it.

DDP has said their not looking to identify killers, their only identfying Doe's.

We will have to wait and see ..

Last edited:
It is exciting but it also makes one think why was the additional DNA not caught before.

Well, she was killed before DNA so maybe, just maybe, they didn't think to look further for it. Or maybe they had it and didn't think it was viable. Remember when they tested Marcia King's vial of blood and were surprised it was still usable for DNA? Maybe it was something like that, thanks to advances in DNA testing.

Well, she was killed before DNA so maybe, just maybe, they didn't think to look further for it. Or maybe they had it and didn't think it was viable. Remember when they tested Marcia King's vial of blood and were surprised it was still usable for DNA? Maybe it was something like that, thanks to advances in DNA testing.

Indeed much has changed from 1979 to 2018 and their could be a multitude of reasons. Viable is my thought even now their questionable if they have enough to create a good DNA profile. At least one good enough to be able to submit in a national system

Indeed much has changed from 1979 to 2018 and their could be a multitude of reasons. Viable is my thought even now their questionable if they have enough to create a good DNA profile. At least one good enough to be able to submit in a national system

It will be really interesting to see how this shakes out, for sure.
I'd love to know if HLL were telling the truth, too.

If the DNA is off of the socks, it could be anyone's. Did they ever say if the socks were newly bought for Halloween? Because if they were her socks previously, they could have been washed in a community washer and folded by someone else. There would be DNA picked up from wherever she was, even from people who handled the pair in a store.

Hmmm... so does this mean all of the DNA rule outs are nullified?

Last edited:
Hmmm... so does this mean all of the DNA rule outs are nullified?

How do you figure?

The DNA used to rule out matches in namus is different than the DNA used for DDP analysis. It is a more detailed analysis, but it doesn't mean that the DNA namus has is bad/wrong, so it would still rule out people that don't match. Plus, she has fingerprints and dentals that are used to rule out matches as well.

My guess is they were doing the more in depth sequencing and that's when they found traces of other DNA that wouldn't have been found without the new lab analysis that DDP uses.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back