DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:

Friday 25 October 18:07

Statement from Deputy Chief Constable Pippa Mills:

“This is a fast-moving investigation involving significant police resources dedicated to finding out the truth about what happened to the 39 people found dead in the lorry on Wednesday.

“I’d like to start by addressing the amount of speculation in the media and on social media surrounding our investigation.

“We owe it to those who have died to get this investigation right and speculation is not helpful. It may in fact hinder our investigation and its progress.

“The force will not be commenting on any speculation about the nationalities of those who have tragically lost their lives.

“I strongly urge journalists and people on social media not to speculate about the identities of those involved or the circumstances surrounding this investigation.

“We gave an initial steer on Thursday on nationality however this is now a developing picture. As such I will not be drawn on any further detail until formal identification processes approved by Her Majesty’s Coroner have taken place.

“I can confirm we have officers working around the clock and we have now arrested a fourth person.

“A 48 year-old man from Northern Ireland was arrested at Stansted Airport earlier today on suspicion of conspiracy to traffic people and on suspicion of manslaughter.

“It follows the arrests of a 38 year-old man and a 38 year-old woman from Warrington during warrants executed in Cheshire overnight. They are currently in custody also on suspicion of conspiracy to traffic people and on suspicion of manslaughter.

“A 25 year-old man arrested on Wednesday on suspicion of murder remains in custody.

“We are working closely with the National Crime Agency, the Home Office, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Border Force and Immigration Enforcement.

“We have begun the process of transporting the victims from the Port of Tilbury to the mortuary at Broomfield Hospital. Formal identification processes will take place as well as the examinations to establish the causes of their deaths.

“This process is likely to be a lengthy one, but it is crucial, and we’re working with Her Majesty’s Coroner to ensure the dignity of the victims and the respect for their loved ones is at the forefront of our investigation.

“I’m acutely aware of the international interest in this case and the appetite for information.

“We will provide more updates as and when we can.

“The scene at the Waterglade Industrial Estate in Eastern Avenue has now been closed. I would like to reiterate my thanks to every person and business who has been impacted by the work we have been carrying out there since Wednesday morning.

“Finally I would like to speak directly to anyone who thinks their loved ones may have been in the trailer. I know you may be worried about speaking to the police. I would like to reassure you that we just want to be able to give the victims’ families answers about what has happened. I can’t begin to comprehend what some of you must be going through right now. You have my assurance that Essex Police will be working tirelessly to understand the whole picture to this absolute tragedy.

“I would also like to make an appeal to anyone living illegally in this country, who could help our investigation. Please come forward and speak to us without fear. I can assure you that your information will be received in strictest confidence and no criminal action will be taken against you.

“If you do not feel able to speak to police directly, please contact Crimestoppers 100% anonymously on 0800 555 111.“

Murder investigation launched after 39 people found dead in lorry container | Essex Police

Update:

Saturday 26 October 17:15

The Crown Prosecution service has authorised Essex Police to charge a man in connection with the investigating the deaths of 39 people whose bodies were found in Grays on Wednesday.

Maurice Robinson, 25, of Laurel Drive, Craigavon, Northern Ireland was arrested shortly after the discovery was made at the Waterglade Retail Park.He is due to appear at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court on Monday 28 October charged with 39 counts of manslaughter, conspiracy to traffic people, conspiracy to assist unlawful immigration and money laundering.

Three other people have been arrested in connection with this investigation.

A 38 year-old man and a 38 year-old woman from Warrington and a 48 year-old man from Northern Ireland, who were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to traffic people and manslaughter remain in custody.

We remind members of the media that criminal proceedings against Mr Robinson are now active and that he has a right to a fair trial. It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.

Murder investigation launched after 39 people found dead in lorry container | Essex Police

Update:

Saturday 26 October 17:51

All of the 39 people found in the lorry have now been moved from Tilbury Docks to Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford.

The process to identify them and where they are from is continuing. This process works in tandem to the investigative process – as we look to both identify those who have died and identify and preserve any forensic evidence so that we can achieve justice for each of these victims and their loved ones.

This is the largest mass fatality victim identification process in the history of Essex Police.

We are using internationally-recognised standards of identification to identify the deceased. These are known as the INTERPOL Disaster Victim Identification Standards.

Disaster Victim Identification (DVI) is the internationally accepted term for the processes and procedures for recovering and identifying deceased people and human remains in multiple fatality incidents.

The process involves bringing together antemortem and postmortem information to make a positive identification by scientific means in a dignified manner, taking into account the needs of the investigation process, the needs of the bereaved and the needs of the community.

Victims are identified where possible, by at least one of the primary identification methods which are dental comparison, fingerprints and DNA.

Other, secondary, identification features are also taken into consideration, such as tattoos and scars. Supporting information to consider can include jewellery, clothing or property.

Once a preliminary identification has been made, trained liaison officers are deployed to support families.

These processes take place in conjunction with the Essex Coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray. Both Essex Police and the coroner are committed to working as quickly as possible to identify people and repatriate them to their families.

Every victim a forensic scene. Officers are meticulously processing all the property that was with the victims and in the lorry and every item has an individual record made of it.

There are 39 victims and each appears to have a bag of some description, clothes, and other belongings.

So far we have over 500 exhibits, including mobile phones which have to be downloaded and the interrogation of mobile phones will be important for identifying the victims but also assisting the wider investigation - this needs to be done in forensic way so it will pass the evidential process for court later.

As in any instance where a mass fatality has unfolded we cannot predict how long this process will take.

Senior Identification Manager Detective Chief Inspector Martin Pasmore said:

“We are working hard to understand how the 39 victims of this tragic incident have died and to identify all those involved.

“We remain open minded as to nationalities of those who have died. We are asking anyone who may have information that may assist us in identification to come forward to us.

“If you come to us, we will do all we can to put our arm around you and take you through this process, and establish as quickly as possible whether or not we have your loved involved in this tragic incident, and try and reunite you.

“It may well be people are here illegally and they want to come forward with information or concerns, particularly if they believe their loved one is involved. We want to identify their loved ones and reunite but they are frightened.

“We understand some people may be frightened but I hope people will put trust in me and make that leap of faith – Essex Police will not look to take any action against you.

“Please make contact with my team by reporting information through our UK Police Major Incident Public Reporting site or contact our dedicated hotline on 0800 056 0944 if you live in the UK and 0044 207 158 0010 if you’re dialling internationally.

“Our thoughts remain with all those so affected by this tragedy.”

Update:

Sunday 27 October 11:24

Three people arrested in connection with the investigation into the deaths of the 39 people whose bodies were found in Grays on Wednesday have been released on bail.

A 38 year-old man and a 38 year-old woman from Warrington were arrested in Cheshire on Friday 25 October while a 46 year-old man from Northern Ireland was arrested at Stansted Airport later the same day.

All three had been questioned on suspicion of manslaughter and conspiracy to traffic people.

The man and woman from Warrington have both been released on bail until 11 November while the man from Northern Ireland has been bailed until 13 November.

We would asked the public and media not to speculate in relation to the bail of these people or their identities.

A 25 year-old man – Maurice Robinson, of Laurel Drive, Craigavon, Northern Ireland – is due to appear at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court tomorrow (Monday 28 October) charged with 39 counts of manslaughter, conspiracy to traffic people, conspiracy to assist unlawful immigration, and money laundering.

We remind members of the media that criminal proceedings against Mr Robinson are now active and that he has a right to a fair trial. It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.

Update:

Monday 28 October 12:00

A man charged in connection with our investigation into the deaths of 39 people whose bodies were found in Grays last week has appeared in court.

Maurice Robinson, 25, of Laurel Drive, Craigavon, Northern Ireland, appeared at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court via video link charged with 39 counts of manslaughter, conspiracy to traffic people, conspiracy to assist unlawful immigration, and money laundering.

He has been remanded in custody and is next due to appear at the Old Bailey on 25 November.

The one key thing that I learned from court today, was that although it was a Refrigerated unit, the refrigeration was not turned on.

That definitely supports the Vietnamese family who had the text from their family member that they could not breathe. That the air was cut off. And follows that other posters above had said that Refrigeration units have less air incoming unless the refrigerating unit is turned on.

28 October 2019:

Northern Ireland trucker Mo Robinson was accused of being part of "a global ring" when he appeared in court over the alleged manslaughter of 39 migrants who were found dead in a trailer in Essex.

At the brief court appearance in Chelmsford Magistrates Court, prosecutor Ogheneruona Iguyovwe described the conspiracy charges as “a global ring” involving “the movement of a large number of illegal immigrants into the UK”.

Essex lorry deaths accused Mo Robinson was ‘part of global ring', court hears - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Essex lorry driver 'part of global smuggling ring', court told

I apologise if this has been posted already HayLou but something jumped out at me (and thank you for your amazing work!)

'He was further charged with one count of acquiring criminal property and one count of concealing criminal property, both between December 1 2018 and October 24 2019'

BBM what's this all about then, any thoughts?

I apologise if this has been posted already HayLou but something jumped out at me (and thank you for your amazing work!)

'He was further charged with one count of acquiring criminal property and one count of concealing criminal property, both between December 1 2018 and October 24 2019'

I thought that was in regards to the money laundering (cash).

"Amid the rice paddies and villages of central Vietnam, residents have a name for the shadowy network used to smuggle their loved ones to Europe.

Translated to English, it's called "the line," as in a factory production line.

This illicit system of moving people across borders has become so common that everyone in the hamlet of Do Thanh in Nghe An province seems to know someone who has made the journey."

Essex truck deaths: Young Vietnamese workers risking life and death on 'the line' - CNN

"So, finally, here we are:

39 manslaughter, one conspiracy to human traffic, one conspiracy to assist unlawful immigration, one possession of criminal property and one disguising criminal property, namely cash for the last two.

All between December 18 and October this year.

Ellis Whitehouse on Twitter"

The reporters from court have said that the last two offences are regarding money. BBM!

"So, finally, here we are:

39 manslaughter, one conspiracy to human traffic, one conspiracy to assist unlawful immigration, one possession of criminal property and one disguising criminal property, namely cash for the last two.

All between December 18 and October this year.

Ellis Whitehouse on Twitter"

The reporters from court have said that the last two offences are regarding money. BBM!

I knew I had read that somewhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member