UK - Alesha MacPhail, 6, raped & murdered, Ardbeg, Isle of Bute, Scotland, 2 Jul 2018 -*arrest* #2

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Legally Bland, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edinlass

Edinlass Well-Known Member

Connor Gillies - Twitter

Witness says software used by police is unable to properly read Instagram last year. He was intructed to re look at this and concludes there is “no indication of contact” between accused and Toni McLachlan on Instagram during period of the murder.

BBM get better software, send the phone to labs where the software is readable. Jeez

2. Edinlass

We still await forensics on Aleshas body whereby I assume there will be traces of the accused but by god it feels like without the CCTV in this case thus far they don’t have a lot of incriminating forensic evidence. I’m stunned that they only found one palm print within the property tbh

Ciana, jiminy, HectorsHouse and 11 others like this.
  3. Alyce

Alyce Well-Known Member

Connor Gillies‏Verified account @ConnorGillies

Witness says software used by police is unable to properly read Instagram last year. He was intructed to re look at this and concludes there is “no indication of contact” between accused and Toni McLachlan on Instagram during period of the murder.

This condensed reporting irritates me.
    Does that mean that the software the police had last year was not capable of reading Instagram properly
    ( ie; they might have better software now )

or

Does it mean that their software cannot access Instagram posts that were made several months ago - ie last year

4. Taskforce88

Taskforce88 Well-Known Member

Thats possible

5. Edinlass

Im wondering the same. Frustrating

6. Kikixxxx

Kikixxxx Well-Known Member

Particularly his mums cctv. The other cctv is described as “ a shadowy figure”

So lucky that his mum didn’t delete the cctv trying to protect her son coz I think he might of got away with it.. so far anyway!

7. HayLouise

HayLouise Well-Known Member

12:50KEY EVENT

Accused's phone 'shows "How do police find DNA"' search'

An Internet search for “How do police find DNA” was carried out on the boy’s iPhone the day after Alesha’s body was found, the court has heard.

Peter Benson, the police’s Cyber Crime Team Leader , is giving evidence about the accused’s seized mobile phone.

Logs from the device show the teenager tried to make contact with Alesha’s dad at 1.39am on July 2 last year, jurors are told.

And in the early hours of the following day, a web search for “How do police find DNA” is said to have been carried out.

The phone also accessed a website called “collecting DNA evidence”, the court hears.

Alesha’s body was found in woodland on July 2.

Boy, 16, accused of killing Alesha MacPhail, 6, said 'no comment' in interview

8. Alyce

Alyce Well-Known Member

If this report is accurate - then it answers my question.

He was checking re DNA in the early hours of Tuesday July 3
    That would be after he had had the conversation with his mother, but before the chat with the police at his home, as a witness.
    Which gives, as has been said, the Defence the opportunity to claim he was checking because of the conversation with his mother.

Accused's phone 'shows "How do police find DNA"' search'
    An Internet search for “How do police find DNA” was carried out on the boy’s iPhone the day after Alesha’s body was found, the court has heard.
    Peter Benson, the police’s Cyber Crime Team Leader , is giving evidence about the accused’s seized mobile phone.
    Logs from the device show the teenager tried to make contact with Alesha’s dad at 1.39am on July 2 last year, jurors are told.

And in the early hours of the following day, a web search for “How do police find DNA” is said to have been carried out.
    The phone also accessed a website called “collecting DNA evidence”, the court hears.

Alesha’s body was found in woodland on July 2.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/alesha-macphail-trial-live-bute-14014043

Kasmeer, JosieJo, DanceCard and 10 others like this.
  9. bastien

bastien New Member

Where everything is falling down for me the most is how the accused is supposed to have taken Alesha from the house.

This is a property that he had never been inside other than perhaps buying drugs from the door (which can be used to explain away the handprint in the stairs leading to the flat) according to RM, but he would've had to get inside it, somehow locate Alesha's room despite not knowing which room it is, take her from it despite the family (I think TM, actually) saying that she would scream if someone she didn't know came in her room, then exit the flat all without waking anybody up or leaving a single fingerprint.

It is possible but is it likely given how clumsy he seems to have been disposing of clothes, the knife, running in and out of his house several times, etc?

sindydee, Ciana, Vevvie and 9 others like this.
  10. Alyce

Alyce Well-Known Member

Does the silence mean lunch time ? Hard to tell today, it's been so sporadic all morning

11. Alyce

Alyce Well-Known Member

but he would've had to get inside it, somehow locate Alesha's room despite not knowing which room it is,

Perhaps he didnt have to go as far as the inside of the flat

12. HayLouise

HayLouise Well-Known Member

I’m assuming so!

Legally Bland and Alyce like this.
  13. mrazda71

mrazda71 Well-Known Member

Re- knowing which was Aleshas room ... it could be identified from the outside maybe by children's/pink curtains or toys in the window ... that's how I know that my neighbours daughter has the front bedroom of their house.

I think anyone might scream or react IF they were awake and a stranger were in their room but no one is going to react if they're asleep.

IF Accused had been inside the ground level door for a drug deal - why would he be halfway up the stairs? (Unless I'm mistaken and the print was on the ground level only?)

14. octagonsunrise

octagonsunrise Well-Known Member

I think it is worth noting that the only print pulled from the house was a 'palm' print. To me, this could be indicative of someone who is aware and being careful NOT to leave fingerprints, ie using the palm to steady oneself instead of the full hand.

15. neteditor

neteditor Well-Known Member

In my mind's eye I reckon the palm print is more because of the nature of a "chair rail". We don't know exactly what part of it the print was found on, but I imagine there is a protruding curved rail, the palm was placed over it but where would the fingers be? Possibly on a wallpapered surface that perhaps wouldn't be the type of surface prints would be left on?

16. mrazda71

mrazda71 Well-Known Member

Very good point! ... and we know the Accused had an interest in crime TV shows etc so would have been well aware of the basics of not leaving finger prints - I didn't know palm prints were that identifiable!

17. 53J29

53J29 Member

Would that palm print show if they were travelling up or down.

Amonet, Alyce, Legally Bland and 2 others like this.
  18. HongKongPhooey

HongKongPhooey Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Havent seen anything yet which could place him inside her house - dad said drug deals took place at door, which could account for hand print. V tricky this. JMO

Ciana, charlotte123456, Meeky and 3 others like this.
  19. octagonsunrise

octagonsunrise Well-Known Member

Any fingerprints would naturally occur on the wall below or above the chair rail depending on which way the hand was facing (down or up). If you try to imitate this you will see that the fingers would have to be deliberately pulled back (towards the back of the hand) in order to only leave a palm print. To me, the presence of the palm print only suggests awareness to where the fingertips were.

20. neteditor

neteditor Well-Known Member

They would certainly know which way around the palm was, which presumably would indicate which direction the person was travelling.

Ciana, Kasmeer, Meeky and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.