UK UK - Alistair Wilson, 30, murdered at home, Nairn, Scotland, 28 Nov 2004

Found this at One year on, who killed Alistair Wilson?:

Mr Wilson didn't leave a will, which meant his widow had to submit a formal application at Inverness Sheriff Court to be appointed executor of his estate. As a result of his death she inherited more than £130,000 - including his half share in their jointly owned £230,000 luxury home, £6,243.91 from personal bank account, £4,940.04 from bonuses due to him from the Bank of Scotland, a further £2,600 from her husband's saving schemes and income tax rebates and £2,000 of furniture and personal belongings.
I don't think anyone has posted this information here before.

Interesting reading. I think the Police will have trawled all the finances. It is practically impossible to deposit or remove significant cash in banks without it being noted, and everyone has a trend in their banking: if someone was getting illicit money somewhere and not using their wages/income it would stand out, if they were they'd need to have some way of hiding the dodgy cash.

This case has been rolling around in my brain for years. It's what has kept me awake at night, trying to put the pieces together and being able to do so. The case is so baffling because on the whole, nothing adds up. On face value, nothing makes sense to the point where I'm almost willing to believe Spring Heeled Jack was behind this as anybody. :p

Here are some theories that I have heard or have just made up on the spot ;)

1) AW committed suicide by assassination, by a friend, acquaintance, etc. in order to give his wife the ability to cash in on Life Insurance. If suicide was obvious, then I'm assuming there wouldn't be any pay out, so it had to be staged to look like a murder.
2) AW had a visitor, but it was a visitor that his wife had arranged to kill him. Perhaps for a payoff of Life Insurance, to cover their debts. There was no blue envelope, no leaving the man on the doorstep, etc. Just a nutty story meant to distract people's brains from what really happened.
3) AW had a visitor, but the person had a personal grudge or obsession with him. Something on the order of Elizabeth Barraza, murdered while setting up a garage sale. Walk up and try to hand the victim something, which directs the victim's mind on the object and away from their assassin.
4) It was a bizarre supernatural occurrence, and AW messed with a Fairy Mound, or meddled where he shouldn't have, such as finding a whistle on the beach or digging up bones, on the order of M.R. James, and the killer was one of the Fairy Folk, a Man in Black, Spring Heeled Jack, Angry Ghosts, etc.
5) AW had borrowed from the mob and was unable to pay it back, and so he promised to provide the combination to the safe, the key to the vault, etc., hence the small blue envelope in order to deposit it. Perhaps AW didn't recognize the man, but only realized who sent him (the mob boss) until it was too late.
6) AW had a visitor, someone who thought he was having an affair with, say, his wife, and the blue envelope contained incriminating evidence, such as a photograph, and the visitor threatened to expose AW unless he ceased and desisted. Perhaps AW denied the affair, which angered the visitor.
7) AW was going to expose his employer for laundering money, mismanaging people's money, etc., and the visitor was someone who was trying to persuade him otherwise before taking lethal action. Perhaps the blue envelope contained a check for a large sum, in other words, hush money.

If there's any other theory, please add to the list, or feel free to correct the ones I have here. :)

This case has been rolling around in my brain for years. It's what has kept me awake at night, trying to put the pieces together and being able to do so. The case is so baffling because on the whole, nothing adds up. On face value, nothing makes sense to the point where I'm almost willing to believe Spring Heeled Jack was behind this as anybody. :p

Here are some theories that I have heard or have just made up on the spot ;)

1) AW committed suicide by assassination, by a friend, acquaintance, etc. in order to give his wife the ability to cash in on Life Insurance. If suicide was obvious, then I'm assuming there wouldn't be any pay out, so it had to be staged to look like a murder.
2) AW had a visitor, but it was a visitor that his wife had arranged to kill him. Perhaps for a payoff of Life Insurance, to cover their debts. There was no blue envelope, no leaving the man on the doorstep, etc. Just a nutty story meant to distract people's brains from what really happened.
3) AW had a visitor, but the person had a personal grudge or obsession with him. Something on the order of Elizabeth Barraza, murdered while setting up a garage sale. Walk up and try to hand the victim something, which directs the victim's mind on the object and away from their assassin.
4) It was a bizarre supernatural occurrence, and AW messed with a Fairy Mound, or meddled where he shouldn't have, such as finding a whistle on the beach or digging up bones, on the order of M.R. James, and the killer was one of the Fairy Folk, a Man in Black, Spring Heeled Jack, Angry Ghosts, etc.
5) AW had borrowed from the mob and was unable to pay it back, and so he promised to provide the combination to the safe, the key to the vault, etc., hence the small blue envelope in order to deposit it. Perhaps AW didn't recognize the man, but only realized who sent him (the mob boss) until it was too late.
6) AW had a visitor, someone who thought he was having an affair with, say, his wife, and the blue envelope contained incriminating evidence, such as a photograph, and the visitor threatened to expose AW unless he ceased and desisted. Perhaps AW denied the affair, which angered the visitor.
7) AW was going to expose his employer for laundering money, mismanaging people's money, etc., and the visitor was someone who was trying to persuade him otherwise before taking lethal action. Perhaps the blue envelope contained a check for a large sum, in other words, hush money.

If there's any other theory, please add to the list, or feel free to correct the ones I have here. :)

Interesting theories!
I can’t get over that his wife and child still live in the same house. She obviously knows there is no risk to her or her child somehow?

What’s the thoughts on the other AW in the town being the real target ??

My personal view is the killer dumped the weapon on the evening. The location where it was dumped is interesting. The killer wanted to get to the A96 (and in my view then headed off probably in the direction of Inverness) - and the map gives some insight.

The killer (again my view) left Crescent Road, then onto Marine Road and turned left. To get to the A96 they had several options. There are three streets closer to the scene they could have used, and one street slightly further up. There was also the option of 'taking the back road" (altonburn Road) - they did not do this, as it becomes single track and although rural, it would be easy to be (potentially) stopped or noticed. Although Seabank Rd is not the furthest road (in town) from the scene allowing access to the A96, it is - if you look at the map, the "most direct" (Marine Rd, Seafield Rd, Seabank Rd) - to go to Manse Rd (next down) would waste a little more time, while any of the nearer streets are just a bit too close (also to the Police Station). The drain is just before the traffic lights - where cars regularly stop - conveniently just before getting to the main road.
Keeping in mind the killer could have dumped the gun elsewhere (ie drains on the way) - not gardens - I think this was a planned location and the killer had the 'escape route' planned. While there's pictures of the Police searching the beach (a seemingly obvious place the killer might throw the weapon - perhaps into the sea) I don't know how extensively they searched the drains/gardens in Nairn. Possibly they did to a point - and Seabank Rd is "close" but not "too close" to the scene.

Jambers, very good points. You sure have done your research. Are you local to Nairn or have you been following streetview?

Interesting theories!
I can’t get over that his wife and child still live in the same house. She obviously knows there is no risk to her or her child somehow?

What’s the thoughts on the other AW in the town being the real target ??

Imo AW was the intended target, I don’t believe it was a case of mistaken identity. I keep going back to a short video (no voices) of him interacting with with son, it was only on for a few seconds but he seemed quite distant/worried as though he had things on his mind. It must have popped up during one of the articles I was reading.

Jambers, very good points. You sure have done your research. Are you local to Nairn or have you been following streetview?
Not local to Nairn but have spent quite some time there on holiday now and then so I know the lay of the land. Basically the killer had to use the main road to leave Nairn. They were seen walking 'away' from it (on Crescent Road) and so, the map shows which options they had to get to the main road (either around the town or double back behind the Pub opposite AWs house and up that way); drains not being uncommon if the killer was "looking" for a drain they had plenty options : it was also dark and you would not naturally go close the main road with weapon in hand when you would have passed other drains not too far back. They knew where they were going to dump the weapon I am sure. If they walked then the had to pass the Police/Fire Station, chip shop etc or, if in a car and they left the 'shortest' way they clearly were headed toward Inverness: they would then have to turn into that road, dump the weapon and then (presumably) turn round and head off. Easier (in a car) to dump the weapon 'en route' to the junction rather than leave the main road to do so.

Imo AW was the intended target, I don’t believe it was a case of mistaken identity. I keep going back to a short video (no voices) of him interacting with with son, it was only on for a few seconds but he seemed quite distant/worried as though he had things on his mind. It must have popped up during one of the articles I was reading.
Agreed. It is hard to draw conclusions from that clip (I recall seeing it, although a while ago) - not sure if it was a recent video to the murder? Thinking a bit more, on the matter of AWs wife remaining in the house. It's noted (and I tend to agree) AWs wife seems to be "holding back" in interviews to the TV/Radio; I actually think this might have something to do with her being careful NOT to say too much (no doubt at the behest of the Police) - I think (as mentioned before) AW must have related at least the subject the killer was talking about even if not too much detail/extensive detail.

I agree which makes me think not releasing things means they already have the answers but surely it could job memories or rustle feathers and unsettle the guilty and only benefit the investigation of they released more ? I also wonder why they were keen to speak to Sean who had lived in Canada as surely of it had of been him at the door as some papers alluded, Veronica would have recognised him . Would she recognise the gunman as organised crime would have wanted her gone too of she could pick him out . If it was someone not wanting Alistair leaving post at the bank killing him wasn't helping things at all .
Unless they were trying to stop information leaving the bank.

One theory around is the envelope (or name on it) was meant to get into the media as a warning to someone. It doesn't explain what connection to AW this has, why the killer waited (how would they know he'd come back with the envelope) - I mean, they could have (while waiting on AW) wrote "Paul" on the door with a marker pen, with very little chance of leaving any evidence and certainly getting a message across - and yes, there are some apparently contradictory comments about the envelope although this might be people's interpretation of what was said?
This is the only theory about the envelope that makes sense to me. It's the only one that explains why the killer would allow AW to go back into the house and show it to people before shooting him.

If he was allowed back in to collect something to put in the envelope, shooting him on his return only makes sense if AW actually did put something in the envelope. Otherwise, as has been said, the killer guarantees not getting what he is after. If indeed that was the purpose of the envelope.

This is the only theory about the envelope that makes sense to me. It's the only one that explains why the killer would allow AW to go back into the house and show it to people before shooting him.

If he was allowed back in to collect something to put in the envelope, shooting him on his return only makes sense if AW actually did put something in the envelope. Otherwise, as has been said, the killer guarantees not getting what he is after. If indeed that was the purpose of the envelope.

"Paul" - and the colour of the envelope puzzles me.

If it was intended as a warning then where did AW fit in? Did the killer simply randomly choose someone - i.e. AW?

The "Plan" clearly didn't work since what was on the envelope wasn't known: there were no further incidents where such a name appeared in the media - the mastermind behind such an act would surely not stop there?

Alternative "Plan"

Go to door and say, "Hello I'm Paul, can I have a quick work with Alistair?" - Guaranteed to get the name "Paul" into the media - and you don't need to waste time with an envelope or waiting at the door, simply commit the act as soon as AW arrives.

(Suppose AW does not know any "Paul", there is surely still as much chance (if not more) of him coming to the door than returning with an envelope after you've confused him?)

The "Plan" clearly didn't work since what was on the envelope wasn't known: there were no further incidents where such a name appeared in the media

Maybe the fact that there were no further incidents reported in the media means that the plan did work - and "Paul" got the message not to do/say what he was planning?

PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines.

Interesting here as it states the blue envelope was A4 sized. Now i assumed it was a card sized envelope, which always struck me as too small for money etc. But this amateur sleuth reckons it could have been for paperwork / documents / money etc ? Which sounds more likely.
An invitation envelope?
31ymAR8F3XL._AC_UL160_.jpg

Robot Check
A4 Invitation Envelopes (4 1/4 x 6 1/4) - Pastel Blue (50 Qty) | Perfect for Invitations, Announcements, Sending Cards, 4x6 Photos | SH4872-01-50
Coincidentally, there is such a thing as PAUL Klee envelopes, he was a German artist (thinking of the German gun used in the crime)
The Bauhaus Group

Paul klee envelopes | Etsy

Last edited:

Interesting here as it states the blue envelope was A4 sized. Now i assumed it was a card sized envelope, which always struck me as too small for money etc. But this amateur sleuth reckons it could have been for paperwork / documents / money etc ? Which sounds more likely.

First time I've noted the A4 size! I think (The Herald) mentioned the envelope at the time, but not the size as I recall. Interestingly the article neatly sums up the 'mystery' of this case: essentially "A Bloke with a baseball cap" turned up at the door (no E-Fit ever released) - a description fitting literally 'anyone' (Or at least an awful lot of males) - essentially a pretty useless suspect description.

More Questions:

*What was the substance of Alistair and His Wife's conversation? No comment from the Police.
* Why would Alistair go back "Just to check" if the guy was still there? Why think he would be?

On the face of it, the Killer was wanting something from Alistair. Since the envelope was not recovered we've no way of knowing
whether or not anything was placed in the envelope (2 minutes is a not insignificant time to have a second chat with someone: a killer would surely not want to spend a second longer than necessary at the scene of the crime (they're about to commit) for all sorts of reasons: when was the decision to shoot taken?

Whatever the reason, there simply isn't enough information to work with - the Police 'requests for information' seem odd (let's face it no new information - what do they think people are going to tell them?)

As mentioned, his wife saw and spoke to the killer , BUT no photofit? That’s very unusual surely??

No photofit, description, and did she mention the man's accent?

She went and got her husband without asking for the man's name or what he wanted.

And despite seeing the gunman and talking to him she continued to live in the house where her husband was gunned down, walking over the spot where he died everyday. The wife obviously felt safe enough.

A lot of focus is on the blue envelope and Paul. Perhaps the envelope didn't exist?

Very strange case.

LONG READ: 15 years of twists and turns but no arrest, motive or suspect in the Alistair Wilson murder case | Press and Journal

Interesting that here it doesn't mention the size and the Police holding a 'similar' (smaller) envelope!

I'll give it a try :)

I think it's possible the Wilsons were being blackmailed. For what I have no clue. Maybe only Alistair was but he had confided in his wife. They both decided not to pay any more. On the night of his death the man came to collect money. Alistair took the envelope and went to his wife saying "They want more money." "No. Enough is enough. Tell him we won't give him anything anymore." So he goes back down to tell the visitor that he won't comply with their demands anymore. Worried that AW might tell someone or even contact police the guy shoots him.

I think the shooter is a local petty criminal who found something out about AW that was bad enough that he could exploit it. I think the envelope was just an envelope lying around at his home and he grabbed it on his way out. Maybe he himself or one of his relatives is called Paul and recently had a birthday. A small sized envelope was large enough for the sum he asked for, for example 1000 Pounds.

The murder wasn't planned - the guy expected to be paid as he had been before. He took the gun because it made him feel more powerful and safe. He panicked when AW refused him.

Moo.

The whole case is very mysterious and no theory feels like a really good fit, mine included. I agree with others that his wife and LE likely know more but are holding back.

I'll give it a try :)

I think it's possible the Wilsons were being blackmailed. For what I have no clue. Maybe only Alistair was but he had confided in his wife. They both decided not to pay any more. On the night of his death the man came to collect money. Alistair took the envelope and went to his wife saying "They want more money." "No. Enough is enough. Tell him we won't give him anything anymore." So he goes back down to tell the visitor that he won't comply with their demands anymore. Worried that AW might tell someone or even contact police the guy shoots him.

I think the shooter is a local petty criminal who found something out about AW that was bad enough that he could exploit it. I think the envelope was just an envelope lying around at his home and he grabbed it on his way out. Maybe he himself or one of his relatives is called Paul and recently had a birthday. A small sized envelope was large enough for the sum he asked for, for example 1000 Pounds.

The murder wasn't planned - the guy expected to be paid as he had been before. He took the gun because it made him feel more powerful and safe. He panicked when AW refused him.

Moo.

The whole case is very mysterious and no theory feels like a really good fit, mine included. I agree with others that his wife and LE likely know more but are holding back.

Your theory makes sense, someone threatening to expose something that would be detrimental to, or embarrassing for BOTH of the Wilsons.
Although, i do think the name Paul is of some significance, if only for the killer.
imo, speculation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back