UK - British Black Lives Matter activist Sasha Johnson, 27, shot in head, London, May 2021 *charges dropped*

Met police
Shooting of Sasha Johnson: second man charged

[F] Devonte Brown, 18, (20.12.02), of Southwark, was charged on the evening of Friday, 11 June with conspiracy to murder. He will appear in custody at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Saturday, 12 June.

27-year-old Sasha was shot in Consort Road, Southwark in the early hours of Sunday, 23 May. She remains in a critical condition in hospital.

On Wednesday, 26 May, five males were arrested in connection with the incident. Four [A, C, D and E] were released on bail until a date in late June.

The fifth male, Cameron Deriggs, 18 (13.01.03) of Bromley Hill, Lewisham was charged with conspiracy to murder. He appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Saturday, 29 May and was remanded in custody. He will next appear at the Old Bailey on 25 June.

Detectives continue to appeal for anyone with information to come forward by calling police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111 and providing the reference 1172/23MAY.

Met police
Shooting of Sasha Johnson: second man charged

[F] Devonte Brown, 18, (20.12.02), of Southwark, was charged on the evening of Friday, 11 June with conspiracy to murder. He will appear in custody at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Saturday, 12 June.

27-year-old Sasha was shot in Consort Road, Southwark in the early hours of Sunday, 23 May. She remains in a critical condition in hospital.

On Wednesday, 26 May, five males were arrested in connection with the incident. Four [A, C, D and E] were released on bail until a date in late June.

The fifth male, Cameron Deriggs, 18 (13.01.03) of Bromley Hill, Lewisham was charged with conspiracy to murder. He appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Saturday, 29 May and was remanded in custody. He will next appear at the Old Bailey on 25 June.

Detectives continue to appeal for anyone with information to come forward by calling police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111 and providing the reference 1172/23MAY.

I was just about to ask if he was A, C, D or E but assume from this that he's someone else entirely (F).

Really good to see that LE are making progress with this despite the difficulty getting witness testimony.

Two further charges in connection with the shooting of Sasha Johnson

Detectives investigating the shooting of Sasha Johnson have charged two more men, bringing the total number of people charged so far to four.

[G] Prince Dixon, 25 (04.04.96) of Gravesend, Kent has been charged with conspiracy to murder.

[H] Troy Reid, 19 (04.10.01) of Southwark has also been charged with conspiracy to murder.

Both men were arrested on Wednesday, 16 June. They were charged on Thursday, 17 June and were remanded in custody to appear at Bromley Magistrates’ Court on Friday, 18 June.

Met

Previous arrests and charges:

On 26 May, five males were arrested in connection with the incident. Four [A, C, D and E] were released on bail until a date in late June.

The fifth male, Cameron Deriggs, 18 (13.01.03) of Lewisham, was charged with conspiracy to murder. He appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Saturday, 29 May and was remanded in custody. He will next appear at the Old Bailey on 25 June.

[F] Devonte Brown, 18, (20.12.02), of Southwark, was charged on the evening of Friday, 11 June with conspiracy to murder. He appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Saturday, 12 June and was remanded in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on 7 July.

A, C, D and E are on bail and B, F, G and H have been charged. Arrests were made in Southwark (assume Peckham or near), Lewisham and Kent.

If this were a gang-related incident, I would expect all the co-conspirators to live in the same vicinity. The idea that a Lewisham gang member lives in Peckham or vice versa makes no sense.

IMO organised crime is more likely. But then if SJ wasnt the intended victim, how did the would-be assassins make such a hash of it? They left the scene having almost killed an innocent bystander yet no-one else seems to have been badly hurt. How did they think they'd explain themselves to their co-conspirators?

Wouldn't it make more sense if SJ were the intended target? In that scenario, you could understand them leaving the scene believing their mission had been accomplished.

And if that's the case, it opens other possibilities, including a political motive.

All conjecture and speculation of course and MOO. Anyone any thoughts?

A, C, D and E are on bail and B, F, G and H have been charged. Arrests were made in Southwark (assume Peckham or near), Lewisham and Kent.

If this were a gang-related incident, I would expect all the co-conspirators to live in the same vicinity. The idea that a Lewisham gang member lives in Peckham or vice versa makes no sense.

IMO organised crime is more likely. But then if SJ wasnt the intended victim, how did the would-be assassins make such a hash of it? They left the scene having almost killed an innocent bystander yet no-one else seems to have been badly hurt. How did they think they'd explain themselves to their co-conspirators?

Wouldn't it make more sense if SJ were the intended target? In that scenario, you could understand them leaving the scene believing their mission had been accomplished.

And if that's the case, it opens other possibilities, including a political motive.

All conjecture and speculation of course and MOO. Anyone any thoughts?

Interesting thoughts. I'm not entirely sure I agree but I'm always up for a good conjecture/speculate session, as you know. ;)

Peckham/Lewisham are not exactly a million miles away from each other. A gang loosely operating in New Cross might easily include members with home addresses in both (not that I'm an expert in gang behaviour but I do know the area). In any case, when the police use those terms they probably mean 'an address in the London borough of Lewisham/Southwark', which could actually mean addresses in extremely close proximity to each other (e.g. in Nunhead/Brockley).

Kent is the outlier but Gravesend connects with that part of London transport-wise (and is a den of iniquity in itself violent crime-wise). Plus, what's described as someone's home address might not necessarily be where they actually sleep most of the time. If I thought the police were after me, I'd be more likely to head down to my mum's in Kent than stay at my girlfriend's in the local area, for instance (just blueskying here, I don't know any of the details).

As regards the crime itself, the reticence of witnesses more readily suggests gang than organised crime to me. It makes me think that people at the party knew or knew of some of the aggressors, or at least knew that they were local, and that's what's made them scared to speak out. If none of them were known/known of, I think there would have been more cooperation. I don't think there's anything inherent about those present that made them uncooperative. I think it was purely about fear of reprisals. That says local gang to me. I also think that if this was an organised crime hit, it would have been distinctly unlikely to utilise local people (local kids, in fact, for the most part), but would have drafted in professionals from out of the area who could then disappear back to wherever they'd travelled in from.

I suppose it's possible that it was an organised hit that mobilised the local heavy mob in a cunning double bluff to obscure a political motive. Possibly not everyone involved would know in advance who the intended target was in that event. If so, I would say the other casualty there may not have been the only one shot in the foot, as SJ has now achieved folk hero status on a national scale, not just within her own community.

But honestly, I think it's a stretch.

I don't rule out at all the idea that SJ was the intended target though. Not everyone likes mouthy, opinionated women (apparently).

It's good to get some discussion of this case going. Thank you for rolling the ball @Pitkin.

JMO

Last edited:
Interesting thoughts. I'm not entirely sure I agree but I'm always up for a good conjecture/speculate session, as you know. ;)

Peckham/Lewisham are not exactly a million miles away from each other. A gang loosely operating in New Cross might easily include members with home addresses in both (not that I'm an expert in gang behaviour but I do know the area). In any case, when the police use those terms they probably mean 'an address in the London borough of Lewisham/Southwark', which could actually mean addresses in extremely close proximity to each other.

Kent is the outlier but Gravesend connects with that part of London transport-wise (and is a den of iniquity in itself violent crime-wise). Plus, what's described as someone's home address might not necessarily be where they actually sleep most of the time. If I thought the police were after me, I'd be more likely to head down to my mum's in Kent than stay at my girlfriend's in the local area, for instance (just blueskying here, I don't know any of the details).

As regards the crime itself, the reticence of witnesses more readily suggests gang than organised crime to me. It makes me think that people at the party knew or knew of some of the aggressors, or at least knew that they were local, and that's what's made them scared to speak out. If none of them were known/known of, I think there would have been more cooperation. I don't think there's anything inherent about those present that made them uncooperative. I think it was purely about fear of reprisals. That says local gang to me. I also think that if this was an organised crime hit, it would have been distinctly unlikely to utilise local people (local kids, in fact, for the most part), but would have drafted in professionals from out of the area who could then disappear back to wherever they'd travelled in from.

I suppose it's possible that it was an organised hit that mobilised the local heavy mob in a cunning double bluff to obscure a political motive. Possibly not everyone involved would know in advance who the intended target was in that event. If so, I would say the other casualty there may not have been the only one shot in the foot, as SJ has now achieved folk hero status on a national scale, not just within her own community.

But honestly, I think it's a stretch.

I don't rule out at all the idea that SJ was the intended target though. Not everyone likes mouthy, opinionated women (apparently).

It's good to get some discussion of this case going. Thank you for rolling the ball @Pitkin.

JMO

@JuicyLucy thank you and yes, I do get the impression you like a bit of speculation. It's a pleasure to debate these points with you.

I'm not an expert in gangs either. Your assessment of the geography and possible hide-out locations make sense but imo they don't work in this context. Here's why:

Gangs are essentially territorial. They originate on specific estates and may extend to nearby locations via school. I would expect all members to live in a similar location but not across borough boundaries as these lines separate our communities and schools.

Gang members may of course run and hide elsewhere but I dont think that applies between Lewisham and Southwark.

Each borough has one dominant gang and they have been at war for years. I don't see a Lewisham gang member hiding out in Southwark. Or vice versa.

Someone with more intimate knowledge may disagree, in which case it would be great to hear from them.

Regarding people's reluctance to talk, I agree with you. It's almost certainly because they know things and fear reprisals. But I dont think that in itself means it's a gang issue.

The police are making progress and it suggests to me that someone is actually talking. When they say SJ wasn't the intended target, it's possibly to shield the informant(s).

The fact remains that at least 8 people conspired to murder one or more people at that party. The hit squad left, either believing it was mission accomplished or alternatively, having established their reputation as the most hapless hard men in the history of hard men. With the puppet masters waiting for their return, I doubt the team would be willing to leave having failed so miserably. For me, whether gang-related or otherwise, SJ was the target.

So those are my further thoughts. Always happy to hear alternative views.

Im also thinking one aspect of this crime stands out as odd - the public nature of the mission. It doesn't conform to the normal MO for gang or organised crime killings. Was or to send a message to all present?

I'm thinking about the political angle now and the dice are rolling fast in that direction. It's wildly out there...

People do move around though. Cameron Deriggs was born in Lewisham according to FMP (he is actually registered as Cam'Ron De-Riggs) but Reid and Brown both seem to have been born in Lambeth. No one was born in Southwark. (Can't find a record for Dixon but Prince may not be his legal name.) It's anyone's guess where they lived as kids/went to school. Consort Road, where the shooting happened, is very close indeed to the boundary between LB Southwark and LB Lewisham, which is the A2214 at that point and then runs east of Nunhead cemetery. School catchments obviously run along local authority lines but mapping of addresses on to schools isn't necessarily rigid, especially for children moving mid-year. Too many unknowns around all of that, I think, but you may be right.

I think a very public event is actually typical of gang violence, though, because it's usually intended as a provocation or a public assertion of territorial rights.

See this, for example: London killings: ‘It’s like a war zone. How did it come to this?’

Conversely, not typical of an organised hit. And actually also way too many participants for an organised hit imo, unless, as I say, it was deliberately disguised as gang violence, which it might have been anticipated would ensure racist interpretations of events would get mobilised sufficiently to obscure the truth. I could believe that, and I can believe she was the target, despite the narrative otherwise.

I definitely agree someone is talking. I've been really impressed at the progress made, After SJ's mother revealed no witness statements had been forthcoming, I thought the inevestigation was going to run aground.

If we are speculating that SJ was in fact the target, what motives might there be aside from political? What do we know about her personally?

JMO

Just looking over some old press and find that the idea of it being a gang-related incident was first suggested by SJ's friend, Imarn Ayton, who is herself an anti-racism activist:

Earlier, Imarn Ayton, a friend of Ms Johnson's, told the BBC doctors had carried out surgery on her fellow activist, which had gone well and she was "now with her parents".

She said Ms Johnson had been at a party or gathering when she was injured but she did not believe "she was the intended victim".

"As far as I am aware... this incident is more related to rival gangs as opposed to her activism," Ms Ayton said.

Sasha Johnson: Black Lives Matter activist shot in London

It's an interesting inference for a friend and fellow activist to have drawn in fairly short order after the shooting, considering SJ had previously had death threats because of her political activity. It makes me wonder if 'rival gangs' refers to specific individuals at the party who were known by those present to be members of a different gang from those who turned up later with a gun. It would certainly explain the reticence of witnesses.

That said, TTIP, SJ's party, have denounced the idea of gang violence. (Although they also reject the assumption that the attackers were black, on the basis that 'they were wearing balaclavas'.)

Subscribe to read | Financial Times (paywall) (quoted/footnote 3 in Sasha Johnson - Wikipedia)

I must say, my first assumption at the time was that it was an attempted political assassination, until witnesses started saying otherwise - the same witnesses who have been so slow to make statements.

Speculation/JMO

Sasha Johnson shooting: Four men indicate not guilty pleas
No formal pleas were entered but lawyers for the four defendants indicated they would deny conspiracy to murder.

A hearing was scheduled for 5 November.

Prince Dixon, 25, of Gravesend, Kent, Troy Reid, 19 of Southwark, Cameron Deriggs, 18, of Lewisham, and Devonte Brown, 18, also of Southwark, are all charged with conspiracy to murder.Judge Mark Lucraft QC suggested a date for a six-week trial would be fixed at the next hearing. He said that the court would be seeking to get the earliest possible trial date

Pure speculation but mabe SJ was the target but not in the way reported. Mabe a member of the shooting gang wanted to attend the party but was refused.
Mabe they were told that they were not allowed into the party due to SJ being their or because they had special guests.

The gang could have taken this as a big mark of disrespect and decided to act out. Pure speculation of course but gangs and their hurt pride can end in dangerous situations.

I do lean, as someone else said, that the gang were looking for someone and they happened to be at that party.

JMO

Just a heads up that Cameron De-Riggs, Devante Brown, Prince Dixon and Troy Reid (E, F, G and H) are making an appearance at the Old Bailey tomorrow at 9.30am, in Court 10, before Mr Justice Sweeney, according to tonight's CourtServe listings. The hearing is by CVP (videolink) so none of them will physically be in court.

I am not quite sure what this hearing is for. They all made their preliminary appearance on 25 June (see link below) and although they didn't enter formal pleas at that time, this isn't listed as a plea (PAD) hearing but just as 'For Mention', which usually means something extra has come up. If it were to do with bail, it would be specifically listed as that. They weren't expected to be in court again until 5 November.

Watch this space, I guess...

Sasha Johnson shooting: four accused expected to plead not guilty

Just a heads up that Cameron De-Riggs, Devante Brown, Prince Dixon and Troy Reid (E, F, G and H) are making an appearance at the Old Bailey tomorrow at 9.30am, in Court 10, before Mr Justice Sweeney, according to tonight's CourtServe listings. The hearing is by CVP (videolink) so none of them will physically be in court.

I am not quite sure what this hearing is for. They all made their preliminary appearance on 25 June (see link below) and although they didn't enter formal pleas at that time, this isn't listed as a plea (PAD) hearing but just as 'For Mention', which usually means something extra has come up. If it were to do with bail, it would be specifically listed as that. They weren't expected to be in court again until 5 November.

Watch this space, I guess...

Sasha Johnson shooting: four accused expected to plead not guilty

Still no pleas but an estimated six-week trial is now scheduled to start on 7 March next year.

Four to stand trial on murder plot charge over Sasha Johnson shooting

Sasha Johnson: Four to stand trial on murder plot charge next March

Is there any news on Sasha's condition?

I've been wondering that too.

''Sasha’s current condition, once labelled as critical appears to be stable and progressing as “the word critical hasn’t been mentioned for a while”.
Sept 3 2021 rbbm.
Sasha Johnson: "She wore a stab proof vest, she didn't wear that for fun"
''Four defendants currently remain in custody over the incident.
Prince Dixon, 25, Troy Reid, 19, and 18-years-old Cameron Deriggs and Devonte Brown have all been charged with conspiracy to murder after appearing at the Old Bailey in August.

With the court case looming, a source from the TTIP spoke exclusively to The Voice as they seek justice for the young activist.

Safety concerns
Those around her knew there was always an imminent threat to her safety.

“Sasha wore a stab proof vest, she didn’t wear that for fun. I have that vest in my possession. The other thing is that her car was attacked in the weeks and months prior to the shooting,” said the source.''

''Dampening down accusations of racism from those that ‘oppose’ her work; those ‘assertions’ became more prevalent following the news of the shooting.

“Sadly, there are people that choose to peddle that narrative – that she is a racist but she really isn’t, she couldn’t be further from that,” the source said. The other thing that is widely known among the party members is that she grew up in foster care. Her foster mother, who she still calls mother, is a white woman. ''

''The coverage of Sasha’s harrowing ordeal has had more coverage in the US than across the pond in the UK, the party source claims.''

''The defendants are due to appear in court again on November 5 for a plea hearing.''

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back