UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pixie. Have followed the route up looms lane and along hollow road crossing A14 which brings you to the livermore area and road to Honington which seems the likely foot route and could coincide with unconfirmed sightings IMO. Has the early part of that route been searched? I.e. all along hollow road and specifically the areas passing the bodies of water?

Hello all, I have been intrigued in this case since I first heard about it and I have been reading over the threads on here over the last few days. Corrie struck a chord with me as there are a few things I have learned that remind me of myself a few years ago. I was around the same age and an airman from Scotland based in England, hardly unusual I suppose but his actions to me seemed unusual. I struggled with depression at various times during my career in the military and its only looking back now a few years later I can recognise it.

Living away from home at that age can be lonely and although the military can be close knit group I found that routine of working all week and then a drinking culture at the weekend soon took its toll on me. Coupled with tours to Afghanistan etc and you soon have a few different strains on a young person's mental health.

I find his actions leading up to the disappearance strange. Having a dog in military accommodation is completely unheard of as far as I know, were the RAF aware of this? And if so why was it allowed, were they making exceptions for him knowing he was having some issues?

He drove to BSE on his own that night, why? They say he missed his mates but I find this slightly strange, young guys that age are constantly txting/whatsapping etc so why did he not go with them? Could he have been not getting along with the guys on his squadron? Why did no one leave with him, or see phone to check on him? I know everyone is saying corrie was known to make his own way home but I find it strange that since they were all going the same way he couldn't have made contact with one of them and simply met them for a taxi back to base. This especially rings true after sleeping in a door way for hours and then txting someone when he woke up?

Also the phoning his brother for an hour whilst sitting in his car. Maybe this was normal for Corrie but I don't know many young guys that would sit on there phone for that amount of time on a Saturday night. Especially knowing his mates are partying a couple of minutes away. Makes me think he was having some problems and maybe confiding in his brother.

All pure speculation on my part and I appreciate all of the above could be completely untrue. I am just trying to relate my personal experiences as a young man in the military with what I have seen in Corrie. I put myself in some dangerous situations looking back and have been in much worse states than corrie looked to be in in that night and in far more dangerous places. I have a feeling I can't shake that he wasn't a happy lad and maybe was struggling a bit with his situation.

Some very interesting discussion on here and have enjoyed reading everyone's opinions. Thanks

Apologies if these points have been covered already.

I think the depression and psychological profile angle is an interesting one and perhaps worth some time. Do we know if he had a history of mental illness?

What was said in the conversation with his brother and does anyone know if he had friends or relatives in the Barton Mills area?

Police have made appeals for any cameras, dash cams, cyclist helmet cams, etc., but it's highly unlikely anyone would still have a copy at this point, even if they did see something.

I called CCTV.co.uk - cctv.co.uk/bury-st-edmunds - as they apparently conduct installations for various areas. The chap on the phone confirmed both private and commercial installations but obviously couldn't divulge much more than that. He did say the Council runs its own system so by that I take it the Council has existing contracts with a security firm. I asked about their recommendataions with a view to length of time footage shoudl be retained - he explained they recommend and setup their systems for one week's retention, but it is configrable and down to the indivudla or compnay to decide.

I had hoped to add a little more, but sadly I ran out of ideas. I did wonder if he'd drunk driven somewhere, but then his car was parked some distance from the horseshoe.

Thoughts?

Adam.

stepmeek
I agree that it seems strange (to me) for a young lad to make such a long phone call. The 4 calls during the day don't add up to me. Yes lots of texts WhatsApp etc but 4 phone calls?

I've linked to this before, but I don't see anything of significance in the number of calls. Darroch was at work that Friday, he's said here at about 5min onwards -- http://www.findcorrie.co.uk/2016/10/03/no-evidence-of-where-my-son-is/ -- that it was quick calls during his (Darroch's) breaks because he couldn't be bothered texting, ending in an arrangement to call Corrie later when he (Darroch) got home. Darroch called him and they chatted "for a long time" which I assume is the 46min call (although in old thread another poster thought there were 2 long calls, I couldn't find anything to confirm that). It'd be my guess that this "call before he went out" was in fact when Corrie was sitting in the car, Darroch wouldn't have known that at that time he gave this conference). But for me all these calls don't smack of depression or a desperate repeated need to chat to me, just calls instead of texts and only one actual proper chat, and it sounds like they were all instigated by Darroch not Corrie.

my transcription from link-

Darroch: It was me that spoke to him Friday, like, the whole day like when I was working, and then inbetween ...about ...and then before as he just went out
Reporter: Can you recall a little bit about that conversation?
Darroch: Oh completely, it was nothing completely, we were just beyond happy with each other, the conversation, just having a laugh, and then he's excited to go out, I was working on the Saturday so I was getting ready to go to bed, and just, nothing unusual whatsoever of the conversation, it was just the way me and him act with each other, the laughs that we're having, listening to...him listening to music and just excited to go out, like, nothing, nothing out of the ordinary.
Reporter: Your mum indicated that you'd had about 4 conversations that day?
Darroch: It was..eh..that was from like from when I'm at work, from, during my breaks at work, just phoning him, just for it was 2 seconds because I couldn't be bothered texting and so I've just phoned him, and then on my next lunch, and then I says I'll give you a phone when I get home, and then I phoned him for quite a while before he then went out.
Reporter: Was there ever any suggestion of any problems in terms of ...
Darroch: Whatsoever no...
Reporter: ...the RAF, any arguments with a girlfriend...
Darroch: Nothing, no..like literally nothing whatsoever. If you could have picked a happier conversation between me and him, that, that was it. Because it was beyond good, it was just, it was how we are with each other. That's it.

I might be missing something that has already been discussed, my apologies if I have but I'm just curious, out if six images of unidentified people, why has this one has been deemed to be the most vital to Nicola?
I'm just trying to figure out what information could potentially be known to the family/police but isnt in the public domain which would lead to this individuals importance
I took it to probably be that out of the remaining few to be id'd, this may be the one closest in time and nearest the horseshoe.

Hello all, I have been intrigued in this case since I first heard about it and I have been reading over the threads on here over the last few days. Corrie struck a chord with me as there are a few things I have learned that remind me of myself a few years ago. I was around the same age and an airman from Scotland based in England, hardly unusual I suppose but his actions to me seemed unusual. I struggled with depression at various times during my career in the military and its only looking back now a few years later I can recognise it.

Living away from home at that age can be lonely and although the military can be close knit group I found that routine of working all week and then a drinking culture at the weekend soon took its toll on me. Coupled with tours to Afghanistan etc and you soon have a few different strains on a young person's mental health.

I find his actions leading up to the disappearance strange. Having a dog in military accommodation is completely unheard of as far as I know, were the RAF aware of this? And if so why was it allowed, were they making exceptions for him knowing he was having some issues?

He drove to BSE on his own that night, why? They say he missed his mates but I find this slightly strange, young guys that age are constantly txting/whatsapping etc so why did he not go with them? Could he have been not getting along with the guys on his squadron? Why did no one leave with him, or see phone to check on him? I know everyone is saying corrie was known to make his own way home but I find it strange that since they were all going the same way he couldn't have made contact with one of them and simply met them for a taxi back to base. This especially rings true after sleeping in a door way for hours and then txting someone when he woke up?

Also the phoning his brother for an hour whilst sitting in his car. Maybe this was normal for Corrie but I don't know many young guys that would sit on there phone for that amount of time on a Saturday night. Especially knowing his mates are partying a couple of minutes away. Makes me think he was having some problems and maybe confiding in his brother.

All pure speculation on my part and I appreciate all of the above could be completely untrue. I am just trying to relate my personal experiences as a young man in the military with what I have seen in Corrie. I put myself in some dangerous situations looking back and have been in much worse states than corrie looked to be in in that night and in far more dangerous places. I have a feeling I can't shake that he wasn't a happy lad and maybe was struggling a bit with his situation.

Some very interesting discussion on here and have enjoyed reading everyone's opinions. Thanks

I concur with all you have said. I too experienced feelings of isolation when living away from home in my youth. You're away from all you know.

It doesn't sit right with me either - my points FWIW

A) long calls and multiple times to family member, who is looking to meet up with him

B) drinking alone in car

C) keeping a dog onsite, despite it being against the rules (breaker of rules and a care free attitude or care less - indication of depression or mental health problems)? Was this to provide comfort/companionship?

D) driving in alone rather than with "colleagues"...does this show he was already distancing himself socially? Was he excluded or did he perceive himself to be excluded?

E) why was he not supported by these "colleagues" when thrown out of Flex, or at whatever point in the debate with the bouncer occurred? Nobody from the military had his back? Not my experience of military life. If he'd got off with a female I'd expect his mates to know too. Slap on the back scenario.

F) off to eat alone.

G) off to sleep in a shop doorway alone, causing others to be concerned for his welfare

H) off to get back to base alone

I too get the impression he was not the happy boy we are being told he was. The last thing you might want to do is to have to admit to family that your career choice is a mistake. Was his over exuberant character a cover for some very dark feelings instead. Again all supposition, but he strikes me as a young man trying a bit too hard to fit in and have a good time. I feel desperately sad for this young man and his story has really touched me.

Excellent post imo Muriel - and as I posted before stepmeek's also.

Any insight such as yours and step's can lead to discerning (from what little we know) what C's possible actions may have been that night, and go towards helping find him.
Good to have objective views that are informative of possible behaviour/actions imo.

Purplepixii, Muriel Maybee

http://www.findcorrie.co.uk

IMO it's not just Nicola's realisation of what's going on, it's having certain things in the public domain whilst trying to maintain support for Corrie.

Going from sunny serviceman who enjoys a good time and finds himself 'in people's hearts without even trying' (linked) to social hand grenade who puts himself at risk with strangers is a big change of tack. I'm not saying its right if someone has done something untoward to Corrie, but you take care of the situations in which you put yourself.

Wonder if this was because of the comments by the Stn Cdr and bouncer about 'lifestyle' and being asked to leave Flex rather than separating from his friends?

Why would a serving military sleep in a shop doorway, that apparently he did every time he went out?
I find it worrying that he would put himself in a vulnerable position. A police officer must not travel to and from work in uniform, they must be vigilant at all times and not put themselves in any possible dangerous situation. I know Corrie obviously wasn't in uniform but I'd guess the other precautions would be important.

A couple of questions have come to mind, do we know what job Darroch does and do we know how many other RAF personnel keep dogs in their rooms? It might be a common thing to which a blind eye is turned rather than an indicator of any anything specific to Corrie

A couple of questions have come to mind, do we know what job Darroch does and do we know how many other RAF personnel keep dogs in their rooms? It might be a common thing to which a blind eye is turned rather than an indicator of any anything specific to Corrie

I realize Corrie's mother and uncle have been very open in the media regarding their occupations so I'm not snipping this, but please folks, do not sleuth him to find this out.

If he has said what he does for a living in an interview or it is in MSM, that's fine. But if not, he's off limits to sleuthing.

Rules changed a while back that pets like dogs could be kept in rooms, but you needed permission to do so. I haven't come across many who did, but that was because of work commitments - no guarantee you'd get enough time at lunch, say, to nip back to accommodation or there'd because break during a 12 hour shift - as well as the possibility of being away for a couple of weeks on exercise or months on deployment. And that's not specific to the Regiment or Honington, that's various bases and military jobs.

Lusijay do you have the route that google gave for walking out the horseshoe? Was it up looms lane or short brackland? The timings are interesting. Welcome aboard.

I'll check now, and will figure out how to upload a picture of it too ! x Thanks for the warm welcome! x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
acd27bd737f10ce5aeb105c75cc1abd0.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-38457221

68607fa2a9d96d0659c90ce0575546b5.jpg

I'm gonna suggest a female with small breasts or a male.
More than likely a male as the chest area isn't big enough for a female and neither are the hips. The shoulder tops seem bigger than a females. I'm also tempted to say short hair, thinning or bold as the person appears to have a shiny head. I can't see this being a woman along with this style of haircut, slim hips and a small chest? The left arm looks raised which suggests operating a phone (holding it and texting with the other hand?). The 'look down' head would match that theory. Looks like a light coloured, short sleeve shirt or blouse with darker trousers to me?
JMO
d6202ef77fd14b458398b444d667349d.jpg

I'm thinking either someone holding their end of night take away the same way as Corrie was, or maybe someone with their left arm in a sling? x

The left arm is weird and I cant decide what it's doing. I think the moving image would shed light on it. Do we have access to this one moving?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

I've always thought that person had something over his shoulder? Or carrying under his arm?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I dont see hair. I almost fancy a baseball cap.

I really don't see what others see in the cctv image, just looks a blur to me!

The left arm is weird and I cant decide what it's doing. I think the moving image would shed light on it. Do we have access to this one moving?

I don't think the council cctv caught some of these people which is strange if it's 100% effective . This is the cornhill inside still camera that takes a pic when movement is detected only I believe. BTW I cannot see how anyone can see breasts when we are looking at a rear view. The shoulders and back are in the way IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member