GUILTY UK - Hashim Ijazuddin, 21, and Saqib Hussain, 20, car crash A46 Leicester 11 Feb 2022 *Murder Arrests*

I agree. I don't think the charge will get downgraded but the sentences will be reduced on appeal. I'm still torn over Natasha Akhtar I wish she'd had told the truth and I have no idea if she was aware of Raees Jamals up coming trial and later conviction for Rape, but her misguided love for him has got her convicted of 2 counts of murder and an 11 years and 8 months sentence. The murder of those two lads is just such an horrific waste of life.
Mohammed Patel's acquittal and the way the evidence he provided in the trial was used by the prosecution, and the way the jury was directed in regard to it surely has to be a massive appellate issue for all of the defendants to raise when the time comes.

The judge spent the whole trial, even pausing evidence on occasion to remind the jurors that the evidence from his police interviews and trip to the witness stand could only be used against him and not the other defendants. Only for him to suddenly, when summing up state that they CAN use his evidence against the other defendants!

He admitted to wearing a disguise, carrying a weapon and disposing of his phone the following day, yet he was acquitted and the others are all found guilty? It could only be because the jury have effectively pardoned him for the detailed and seemingly truthful account he gave in his police interviews, certainly compared to the others. It's admirable that his evidence has helped bring people to justice for the horrific criminal deaths of two young men. But if they're criminally responsible based on their actions, surely he is too?

All JMO of course.

Mohammed Patel's acquittal and the way the evidence he provided in the trial was used by the prosecution, and the way the jury was directed in regard to it surely has to be a massive appellate issue for all of the defendants to raise when the time comes.

The judge spent the whole trial, even pausing evidence on occasion to remind the jurors that the evidence from his police interviews and trip to the witness stand could only be used against him and not the other defendants. Only for him to suddenly, when summing up state that they CAN use his evidence against the other defendants!

He admitted to wearing a disguise, carrying a weapon and disposing of his phone the following day, yet he was acquitted and the others are all found guilty? It could only be because the jury have effectively pardoned him for the detailed and seemingly truthful account he gave in his police interviews, certainly compared to the others. It's admirable that his evidence has helped bring people to justice for the horrific criminal deaths of two young men. But if they're criminally responsible based on their actions, surely he is too?

All JMO of course.
I agree with your whole post, the inconsistency in the Judges stance and summing is bizarre, just as is the haze of cannabis that surrounded Mo during the incident which allowed him to be detached from the whole thing and be a big part of his defence. I am sure as you have suggested those convicted will use Mo's aquittal and the Judges mixed directions to their advantage in their appeals.

I agree with your whole post, the inconsistency in the Judges stance and summing is bizarre, just as is the haze of cannabis that surrounded Mo during the incident which allowed him to be detached from the whole thing and be a big part of his defence. I am sure as you have suggested those convicted will use Mo's aquittal and the Judges mixed directions to their advantage in their appeals.
Thanks.

But if I may elaborate a little on the above in painfully pedantic detail (sorry!), Mo wasn't acquitted by the jury, he was pardoned by them IMO.

If he'd been acquitted then the jury would have concluded that it could not have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he took criminal actions which resulted in the death of the two victims. That can't have been the case because he admitted a role, roughly similar to the role SG and AJ played in the incident. And they were found guilty.

He's not been found NG because he didn't do anything wrong, he's been found NG because he provided crucial evidence against his codefendants. So the jury have let him off because he helped the prosecution. I'd call that a pardoning rather than an acquittal, and I'm eager to learn from how this plays out when the appeals begin!

Thanks.

But if I may elaborate a little on the above in painfully pedantic detail (sorry!), Mo wasn't acquitted by the jury, he was pardoned by them IMO.

If he'd been acquitted then the jury would have concluded that it could not have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he took criminal actions which resulted in the death of the two victims. That can't have been the case because he admitted a role, roughly similar to the role SG and AJ played in the incident. And they were found guilty.

He's not been found NG because he didn't do anything wrong, he's been found NG because he provided crucial evidence against his codefendants. So the jury have let him off because he helped the prosecution. I'd call that a pardoning rather than an acquittal, and I'm eager to learn from how this plays out when the appeals begin!
Thank you so much for the clarification, please don't apologise you state the facts extremely well and have given me a greater understanding of the what happened, yes the pardoning is very strange and shows how they were directed by the Judge

Thank you so much for the clarification, please don't apologise you state the facts extremely well and have given me a greater understanding of the what happened, yes the pardoning is very strange and shows how they were directed by the Judge
I wonder what will happen in the future if at any point in Mohammed Patel's life he does something which can retrospectively discredit him as a credible witness in a criminal trial. The guy is the sort of person who will turn up at request in the middle of the night to help deal with "a situation." If anything, he was lucky that he was the last to be apprehended and all of the defendants who preceded him had either gone "no comment" or been comically dishonest in their evidence to the police, that the door was open for him to take the route that he did. And it worked!
In a weird way I think the best thing that could have happened to Natasha Akhtar was for her to be arrested, charged and remanded as quickly as she was, otherwise she would probably have made similar ham-fisted efforts to cover her tracks to her co-defendants which would have only served to add years to her sentence.

All JMO of course.
I think there may have been some nuances to the judge's instructions that weren't picked up in the reporting, and that there could have been a difference in the judge's directions as the case was going along compared to the directions in the summing up at the end of the evidence. I believe the judge would have told them that he would direct them further on that when they had heard all of the evidence.

In the first trial, Raees Jamal's barrister was asking the police officer if what Mohammed Patel had said was true, that the Seat dragged the Skoda along the road, there should be more damage on the Seat. The judge was cautioning the jury (IMO) that what MP had said was not necessarily evidence of the truth, against his co-defendants. The barrister was trying (IMO) to elicit from the officer that firstly there was no dragging of the Skoda, and secondly that MP was lying.

link -

Raees Jamal's barrister suggests last collision between cars was 13 seconds before tree crash

Referring to a comment on the 999 recording, Mr Smith suggests the damage DS Coe found on the Seat was consisted with the Seat rear-ending the Skoda 13 seconds before the crash and he suggests that was the final collision, a full 13 seconds before the crash into the tree that killed the two young men.
He said: "I want to suggest that is the collision point and it took place 13 seconds before the Skoda hit the tree."
DS Coe replied: "It could have been a collision point" and said there could have been a further collision in addition.
Mr Smith asks if there should be more damage on the Seat Leon if, as one of the defendants said in his police interview, the Seat "dragged" the Skoda along the road. DS Coe said: "I imagine, yes."
The jury has previously been instructed by the judge not to take the statements of any of the defendants as evidence against any of the other defendants.

Day 13 court updates from murder trial of TikTok's Mahek Bukhari

The trial was proceeding to hear evidence from the witnesses and defendants, and whether or not lies would be proven during testimony was yet to be seen.

In the judge's summing up in the second trial, I believe the judge was directing the jury how to deal with the credibility of the defendants, which is a standard direction. The fact that Mahek had been proven (by her own admission) to have lied, meant that they must not rely on any of her statements to police as evidence against any of the others. She had proven herself to be unreliable. The fact that MP had not changed his story and not been proven to have lied, meant the jury could use his evidence as the truth against his co-defendants if they chose to. The judge wasn't telling them to accept he was telling the truth and to use it against the others, but that his credibility - in so far as the prosecution and the other teams had not been able to prove on the face of it that he lied - was in tact.

link -

Jury reminded that Mohammed Patel's interview is evidence against all eight defendants

The jury members have been instructed by Judge Spencer to treat the police interviews differently. The only two defendants who gave full accounts to detectives after their arrests were Mahek and Mohammed.

Mahek now admits she told lies in the interview - the judge has said that means the content of what she said could only be used as evidence against Mahek herself. They cannot judge the other seven based on the fact Mahek lied.

But Mohammed has stuck to his interview statements, adopting them as his defence case. That means, the judge said, the jury can use his statements about the others and about what happened in general as evidence against all eight.

Jury expected to begin deliberations -TikTok trial day 50

As regards MP's acquittal, I don't believe that it will be an appeal issue for the others. It's not just actions that must be proven, but intent or mens rea.

link -

Unlawful Act Manslaughter

[...]

Requires proof of the elements of the unlawful act

The prosecution must prove the elements of the unlawful act and also disprove any defences to the unlawful act that are raised.

This resulted in an appeal being allowed in Jennings [1990] Crim. L.R. 588. The court held that the unlawful act must be proved, both as to the actus reus and as to the mens rea. The possession of a weapon, not offensive per se, was not such an act unless accompanied by the requisite intention to use it to inflict injury. That had not been established.

Homicide: Murder and Manslaughter | The Crown Prosecution Service

The jury may have decided that based on the others lying, they had something (guilt) to hide, and based on MP telling the truth, he did not, and had not formed intention with the others.

MOO

Link below to Stoke on Trent News, TikTok murderer Mahek Bukhari's case to be told in new ITV true-crime series.

The horrific case of TikTok double killer Mahek Bukhari is to feature in a new television true-crime series. The 24-year-old 'cold-blooded murderer', from Tunstall, is currently expected to spend more than 30 years behind bars.

The former social media influencer - known online as MayBVlogs - was given a life sentence after being convicted of the murder of Saqib Hussain and Hashim Ijazuddin, who both died in a 100mph car chase in February 2022. The pair were ambushed and rammed him off the road after Saqib threatened to expose his three-year affair with Mahek's mother Ansreen Bukhari.

Ansreen, 47, also of George Eardley Close, Tunstall, and two others - Rekan Karwan and Raees Jamal - were also found guilty of murder, while three others were convicted of manslaughter.

Now ITVX has commissioned a gripping a new series - named TIKTOK: Murders Gone Viral - featuring the tragic case. The documentary-makers have secured exclusive access to the families of the victims and other key contributors.

So Mahek will achieve more fame and renown than she ever could have imagined! Who says dreams can't come true...
She's more famous now than she would ever have been if she hadn't got two guys killed!

I'm just shocked that she hasn't managed to smuggle a phone in and do prison tiktoks, which are apparently all the rage these days.

She's more famous now than she would ever have been if she hadn't got two guys killed!

I'm just shocked that she hasn't managed to smuggle a phone in and do prison tiktoks, which are apparently all the rage these days.
We probably wouldn't recognise her without all the makeup etc!

Not sure she can come back from the false eyelash carnage photo.

When this documentary series comes along I will likely watch it. But to be honest, I'm not expecting to learn an awful lot of fascinating new information about the case from this series.

The whole confusion over evidence given by Patel is not evidence against others, then was after he took the stand, has now been clearly explained by the prosecution in the Ashley Dale trial:

“He, Kallum Radford, [...] said that the passenger had been referred to as “Z”. Asked further, he said, “it was like Zest or something like that.”
“As you know, Zest is the nickname of Sean Zeisz. The law is that what one defendant says about another in interview is not evidence against the other defendant unless and until the defendant who has made the claim enters the witness box and repeats it. We do not know whether Kallum Radford will enter the witness box to say that one of the men involved in concealing the car had the name “Zest or something like that.” So, as matters stand, that is not part of the case against Sean Zeisz, but it is part of the case against Kallum Radford.

Bolded bit clears it up fully - what a pity that never came into the reporting for this case! I'd reached the conclusion that this must be how it worked but nice to see it confirmed in a context that should be accurate.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back