GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
She had an 'unusual' epileptic fit and died in their garden. An air ambulance was called. I think the word the coroner used was unusual, whatever it was it made me think it was her first. From memory I think she was in her early forties.

Well I think that might need looking at again...

There is a note of the death somewhere, but I cant find it in my files

However, I remember the name - SUDEP

Sudden unexpected death in epilepsy (SUDEP)

If someone with epilepsy dies suddenly and unexpectedly, and no obvious cause of death can be found, it is called sudden unexpected death in epilepsy (SUDEP).

Premature death in people with epilepsy is higher than in the general population, and SUDEP is the most common cause of this.

https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/sudep-sudden-unexpected-death-in-epilepsy

While not unexpected [AFAIAC], this is still a very sad development. It must be devastating for her family and friends, who must have been hoping against hope, as people tend to do.

Re the money the person is under suspicion of having stolen we do not yet know if that is the sum of money we have been told Helen kept in the house or money from a savings or other account.

With a couple who have bought a house together and are living as a couple, it would be really difficult to prove cash money belonged specifically to one person rather than another.

If it is cash money from the house, I'm thinking the person who has been arrested may have obtained the cash at the same time Helen 'disappeared', later mentioned it as a means to explain how she was maintaining herself, but more recently been lulled into a false sense of security and 'slipped up' by deviating from normal spending patterns. For example, not withdrawing cash as formerly, but apparently paying for goods and services in cash over a period of weeks [e.g the last few weeks].

That might have been enough to set further investigations in motion, or enough to help firm up or corroborate other pieces of evidence we still know nothing about. All just my Wild Assed Guessing. WAG

If you look at his first appeal to her you can see that he is writing it from the perspective that Helen has voluntarily left him. The recent one is the same. To my mind, the fact that he rules out something bad having happened to her, and doesn't say just let us know you're ok, while sending out the clear message that Helen must be alive and has the choice to return, he is desperately diverting attention away from foul play.

He can't have known though (assuming he was innocent) if there was foul play caused by another.

[FONT=&quot]“Helen wherever you might be I hope you hear this message and listen carefully, said Mr Stewart in his statement.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“We miss you and Boris so much. We are shattered in so many ways. You not only mended my heart five years ago but made it bigger, stronger and kinder.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Together we learnt to live with our grief and move forward with our lives but never forgetting. Now it feels like my heart doesn't even exist. Our plans are nowhere near complete and without you there is no point.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“We promised each other 30 years. Please keep that promise and come home. Whatever has happened, wherever you are I will come and get you and Boris and give you whatever you need.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Love you more.” [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

If you look at his first appeal to her you can see that he is writing it from the perspective that Helen has voluntarily left him. The recent one is the same. To my mind, the fact that he rules out something bad having happened to her, and doesn't say just let us know you're ok, while sending out the clear message that Helen must be alive and has the choice to return, he is desperately diverting attention away from foul play.

He can't have known though (assuming he was innocent) if there was foul play caused by another.

The other things that struck me most about that message he wrote were as follows:

He did not read the statement out himself [nor the other statement/plea]. That struck me as highly unusual. It may not be, but it really struck me that way.

His repeated use of 'we' [eg 'we miss you and Boris so much. We are shattered in so many ways'] rather than initially emphasizing his own sorrow/sense of loss. She was his partner, after all. Other people's feelings are placed right up there with his own, and that struck me as some form of self-distancing.

He wrote '“We promised each other 30 years. Please keep that promise and come home"

Claims of promises, expressed in subliminal and/or inadvertent tones that the writer believes those promises were/are not being honoured/kept. That is what struck me most forcibly. We are used to seeing feelings leaking out [either in words or physical actions/non-verbal behaviours] in statements made in front of cameras, but here I had the sense that feelings were inadvertently leaking out even in a carefully written statement

An interesting article - although also very sad in light of today's news

http://www.lifeafterlondon.com/leaving-london-not-quite-the-dream/

Another piece where negative feelings [this time Helen's] are being expressed/revealed, alongside self conscious but not quite convincing efforts to present the 'good side'.

She was by all accounts such a really strong, nice, genuine, kind, thoughtful woman. She had time for people. She was a giver. She was a carer. Everyone says so. She was either interviewed for or wrote this very revealing article as a favour for someone she 'met' on Face Book.

I never thought she had gone off on some Agatha Christie type 'gap' without telling her parents. She wasn't made that way. I just hope this phase of the investigation does not drag on too long for the sake of her parents, family members and friends.

Agree Nellie, and he couldn't bring himself to express concern for Helen's well-being. Too worried perhaps that the police might be looking for clues in his words about knowing something has happened, when it is entirely natural to fear the worst.

The statement is very selfish.

Either way, a person very familiar with the home and Helen and her partner.

I always wonder about close family, do they stay loyal, or entertain suspicions. What would bring them to go to the police?

I hope this isn't inappropriate, just catching up on the thread, and a blog I follow had a similar discussion about this recently http://waitbutwhy.com/table/the-loyalty-quandary

Hi all, I'm joining this thread a bit late. I have a very dear friend who met Helen and the partner through the Facebook group. Obviously everyone from the group is in utter shock and hoping the police have made a mistake :(

I'm also joining late. This case makes me very sad. :( It feels tragic. Whatever happened? Did they have a physical fight?

Nellie and Tortoise- I agree about the statements. Very distant, the wording shows the focus is not on Helen and her well being but rather on a situation that has not worked out the way that person wanted it to. A promise was made but possibly Helen no longer wanted to keep that arrangement, which had led to whatever happened.

I'm also joining late. This case makes me very sad. :( It feels tragic. Whatever happened? Did they have a physical fight?

No one knows. The partner has given very little information in public about what transpired before she left [he says he went out to run some errands and when he returned she had gone, leaving a note saying WTTEO 'I need some time alone'], and we do not even have a date/time of the last fully confirmed sighting of her. If you read this thread you will know as much as we do, which is not a lot!

Re the missing money and the charge of theft.

Being as we do not yet have confirmation of the person who has been arrested I will keep this all hypothetical and MOO.

Perhaps there was no money. It was just given as an excuse as to how Helen was able to exist for a length of time without needing to access her accounts.

Then a person is arrested on suspicion of murder. At that point, if they are maintaining their total innocence of any wrongdoing, they can hardly admit to a lie about the money. Therefore, the police will add the charge of theft to the far more serious charges of murder and disposal of a body.

The Sun [and as far as I can make out, only the Sun] has named Helen's partner as the person who has been arrested. Not sure how reliable they are these days.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/uknews/1428353/man-arrested-on-suspicion-of-killing-beloved-childrens-author-for-her-wealth/

I am in no way a supporter of the Sun, loathe the paper, but in this instance they are only saying what I am sure any person who has followed this disappearance will be thinking. Which doesnt make it right of course for them to reveal a name.

I am in no way a supporter of the Sun, loathe the paper, but in this instance they are only saying what I am sure any person who has followed this disappearance will be thinking. Which doesnt make it right of course for them to reveal a name.

Agree with all of this.

Just to add that the Daily Mail, not wanting to be left out, have now issued a similar statement, their 'source' being.... THE SUN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann