UK - Julia James, 53, murdered, Snowdown, Kent, 27 April 2021 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is only a Sunshine Corner Avenue that I can find on googlemaps.

Trust the media to get things wrong.

Definitely Sunshine Corner, l remember thinking what a dreadful name that was. It was quite long and wide and not a corner at all, although it was sunny at the time. I also read about a gang thing at Aylesham train station later last year. It's not a quintessential English village, that's for sure.

Also Kent Online again- l have said before about their reporting being inaccurate and frequently from social media posts. Lazy journalism.

It will be interesting if he did reside there given they couldn't trace him without putting his image out nationally. You would've thought they'd show the image to a select few locals at least that should have recognised him. On the other hand the house could be his parents, grandparents or friends house he occasionally visits.

It looks like he was arrested 8 miles from the crime scene so in Canterbury itself?

There is clearly a lot the police know they aren't sharing and what they do share they are being very cagey/careful about. Even more so than other cases I've followed.
As you say, it might not be his home but a home connected to him. It would at least explain why he would be near the scene of the crime. Are we sure that he was arrested in Canterbury the town and not Canterbury the area. Both Snowdown and Aylesham would be classed as Canterbury area. As far as recognising the person whose picture was publicised, the arrest came soon after and there had been no other description broadcast before that so he could have been immediately recognised by one or several residents of the village for all we know.

Last edited:
I haven't read this whole thread, can someone explain what the Chillenden murders have to do with this? Seems pretty tenuous to think they might have inspired this crime just because it's in Kent woodland.

As far as l can remember Stone wasn't laying in wait (although we don't know it was the case here), he was in his vehicle and found an opportunity.

It is possible this was linked to her police work. Bludgeoning is such a vicious method.
The close proximity and similarities between the attack on Julia James and the Chillenden attacks led some of us to wonder whether the same person might be responsible for both. Obviously if the man currently in custody is responsible for the Julia James murder, that rules out that possibility given his age.

By the way, Michael Stone was almost certainly never anywhere near the scene of the Chillenden murders, but that’s a discussion for another thread.

As you say, it might not be his home but a home connected to him. It would at least explain why he would be near the scene of the crime. Are we sure that he was arrested in Canterbury the town and not Canterbury the area. Both Snowdown and Aylesham would be classed as Canterbury area. As far as recognising the person whose picture was publicised, the arrest came soon after and there had been no other description broadcast before that so he could have been immediately recognised by one or several residents of the village for all we know.

The Kent police release states the suspect arrested is from the Canterbury area which technically does include Aylesham/Snowdown but media reports state he was arrested 8 miles away from the crime scene which fits nicely for Canterbury. Like I say police are being particularly cagey with certain details. I'm sure if there is a charge things will be a little clearer.

A wild theory: Maybe police had reason to believe the suspect was holed up somewhere in Aylesham but couldn't get a break and released his image as a last resort to get him to bolt?

I’ve recently joined so apologies of this isn’t the done thing but IMO it’s more likely the man in the photograph is the suspect they’ve arrested no? The statement didn’t say he’s no long a POI just that they didn’t require any further information?

*If* the young man in the photo is the same person as the arrested man in his twenties, why would police explicitly state that they do not want any more information about him? I get that they don't want to be overwhelmed with anything irrelevant, but is this not an unusual statement? Isn't it normally the case that they either don't mention either way whether or not they want more information about someone who has been arrested, or occasionally they actively ask the public for more information - rather than explicitly stating they *don't* want it? Just seems odd. If they're very sure that this is their man, then OK, but surely if someone had something relevant to say about where they had seen him/what they saw him doing that would only help the police, no? It is possible after all that the arrested man is NOT the man in the photo, but that perhaps the man in the photo gave information which led to the arrest of someone else of similar age?

*If* the young man in the photo is the same person as the arrested man in his twenties, why would police explicitly state that they do not want any more information about him? I get that they don't want to be overwhelmed with anything irrelevant, but is this not an unusual statement? Isn't it normally the case that they either don't mention either way whether or not they want more information about someone who has been arrested, or occasionally they actively ask the public for more information - rather than explicitly stating they *don't* want it? Just seems odd. If they're very sure that this is their man, then OK, but surely if someone had something relevant to say about where they had seen him/what they saw him doing that would only help the police, no? It is possible after all that the arrested man is NOT the man in the photo, but that perhaps the man in the photo gave information which led to the arrest of someone else of similar age?

I think the Police might have meant information about his identity.

Now they know who he is they can target people who maybe able to give them more details.

KP requested the image be taken down and not circulated on SM - is that usual?

I think the way his photo was circulated and the extraordinarily high profile that he will have received compared with someone they could have interviewed more discreetly means that they're concerned about his right to a fair trial and the risk of an appeal afterwards - assuming he is indeed the one they've arrested and that he goes on to be charged, which is by no means sure. I think that actively asking MSM and people on SM to stop circulating the photo is a best attempt at damage limitation. It's something LE must have considered before putting the photo out and makes me think he almost certainly is at the heart of the case and that they had no other choice.

JMO and pure speculation.

ModNote:
Hello everyone - A few reminders/tips!

Rules can be found here: The Rules
Contacting a moderator for support can be done by using the Report button feature at the bottom of a post. With hundreds of active threads and a minimal volunteer moderator staff, we are unable to regularly read and keep up with each thread, but we will get back to you as quickly as possible. That is why it is important that members are aware of the rules and use the report feature for questions and/or posts that fall out of line with the TOS.

Thanks Everyone!

Last edited:
Hi all, long time lurker here after previously being a member and my account now no longer recognised. I Originally came to WS at the time of Joanna Yeates case and follow most big UK cases since. Reason for post now on this horrific case, is that no one seems to have picked up on the other photos of the searches and item/s being removed from property. These pics are on a page that posted a lot during the Sarah Everard case and easy to find, obviously I won't post a link as they aren't in the msm reports, the photos from same searches/time and a video also. I hope I'm not out of line posting this. I hope LE can bring this terrible case to a swift conclusion, RIP Julia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genepool48