Found Deceased UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 #11 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not usually. He'd have been sentenced pretty severely if he does get a custodial. I've never known these charges bring a custodial for a first set of charges, only if they're committed while on conditional discharge, on licence or under a supervision order
If he pleads not guilty, and is found guilty by a jury, I’m sure he’ll get a custodial sentence, albeit, probably a short amount on top of his remand. I think he’s going guilty on Monday, unless he’s as fearless and brazen as he looks.

She was only just 21. Hardly full of worldly wisdom and experience of drinking. It's possible she'd never been that drunk before. We've nearly all been there. She went out to have fun which she is entitled to do. She drank too much.

She did not get behind the wheel of a car. I doubt she ever would in that condition because she's of the generation that's been brought up not to drink and drive. She didn't go near water. She did not endanger anyone.

Her behaviour WAS discouraged- she was refused entry to a club she wanted to go to. She'd spent time getting ready to go to. Was looking forward to. If she hadn't come across some psychopath she'd have been further discouraged by a massive hangover

PR managed to drive around without attracting the attention of the police so we can assume he was NOT drunk. If he is guilty, and that is for the court to decide, he has caused considerably and deliberate harm to her, her family and her friends.

She was vulnerable because he, if guilty, was out prowling. She'd have been just as vulnerable if she'd been lying in her bed sober and he'd broken in. Or soberly walking back from the chip shop or library or any quiet dimly lit area. It was the person she came across that made her vulnerable. So do all females stop living because of the tiny minority of rapists and murderers?

The harm caused was deliberately caused. The person that caused it unlikely to be drunk. Even the lowest most selfish drunk driver doesn't set out to harm.
Totally agree with you.

My co-worker (a teacher!) was found guilty of 2 counts of exposure and 4 of voyeurism which came under category 1 and he had 3 years conditional discharge and supervision and enrolment inn a sex offenders course. I haven't heard any evidence that the charges against PR are any higher than a category 3, so I wouldn't expect the sentence to even be as severe as that.

I think the sentences are far too lenient. They need a review.

I'd also like to question why women shouldn't be drunk because they risk men attacking, assaulting or murdering them. Whilst generally men just need to avoid a punch up or falling in a river. I don't accept why women should have to have more responsibility not to be drunk than men. This is an in principle point - not questioning real world risks.

Women also attack, assault and murder.

If he pleads not guilty, and is found guilty by a jury, I’m sure he’ll get a custodial sentence, albeit, probably a short amount on top of his remand. I think he’s going guilty on Monday, unless he’s as fearless and brazen as he looks.

I just don't know of any other case where this has happened?? As I say, even where the charges come under category 1, there has been video evidence and the accused has pleaded not guilty but found guilty at trial, I have never known one case where they have been handed a custodial sentence. Although.... I can't actually think of any of those cases where they've been held on remand while awaiting trial. I think that's quite unusual in itself

I'd also like to question why women shouldn't be drunk because they risk men attacking, assaulting or murdering them. Whilst generally men just need to avoid a punch up or falling in a river. I don't accept why women should have to have more responsibility not to be drunk than men. This is an in principle point - not questioning real world risks.

What a silly statement. In an ideal world nobody would come to harm ever. We don’t live in an ideal world. Therefore take responsibility for yourself <modsnipped rude snarky comment>

Given the real world and how it is and always has been, it’s up to you how paralytic you want to get and how safe you’ll feel after you have done it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think flashing is often not taken particularly seriously by the general public - in fact, I'd imagine that many times it goes unreported.
In relation to the lack of charges in 2018, a couple of years ago there was a general uproar when it was discovered that there were reports of 4 sexual assaults near where I live over a 3 month period. The LE only notified people of one incident, an attempted rape which was unrelated to the others. The others were (all different descriptions) where women had been groped. One member off LE told me that they were surprised that the incidents been reported! To be fair to LE, when I've discussed it with people since they've generally taken the "is that all" attitude too (apart from the attempted rape where person was caught).

I'd imagine a lot of stuff goes on that people don't bother reporting as they don't feel it's serious enough to bother.

I just don't know of any other case where this has happened?? As I say, even where the charges come under category 1, there has been video evidence and the accused has pleaded not guilty but found guilty at trial, I have never known one case where they have been handed a custodial sentence. Although.... I can't actually think of any of those cases where they've been held on remand while awaiting trial. I think that's quite unusual in itself
I’ll be surprised if there aren’t a few other charges waiting for him. Unless he has a doppelgänger that loiters around Newland in the dark.

Well, I didn't say that, and I don't think anyone else here has. My comments earlier were general.

No you didn't.

Think a few words are being put into people's mouths.

It pays for us all to take responsibility for our well being and safety.

Nothing to do with victim blaming.

Could quite easily have been someone walking home stone cold sober from the library that this happened to.

You can't protect completely against someone that wishes you harm, neither can you predict it.

There's always going to be that poor totally unlucky person that this type of thing happens to.

I got what Cherwell meant,people take risks (especially young people) surely it's better to try and educate and put things in place for them to protect themselves and their friends better rather than make excuses for then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin