UK UK - Neil Skinner, 72, last seen midday, camping close Loch Dochard, Scottish Highlands, 8 May 2022

A grey sky covers Loch Dochard as Phil Jones prods around the water's edge with a builder's pole.

"I'm just hoping to see a green jacket wash up," he says.

The 35-year-old builder from Chorley, Lancashire, is searching for Neil Skinner, a hiker who went missing near Bridge of Orchy last year.

Phil never met Neil but is the leader of a voluntary underwater search and recovery team, Beneath the Surface. His team spend most of their weekends helping families look for missing loved ones.

Neil, 72, from Doncaster in South Yorkshire, was last seen in his green jacket on 8 May 2022. He was camping on a peninsula that reaches out on to the loch in Argyll and Bute.

He remains missing despite extensive searches. Police have urged anyone with information to get in touch.

[...]

i know he said he was unwell to his friends but i cant imagine illness other than something life threatening that would cause him to collapse at water and why would he even venture there? did he not have water in his kit? as another poster stated, would be good to know what was missing if anything and what he had in the tent.

i know he said he was unwell to his friends but i cant imagine illness other than something life threatening that would cause him to collapse at water and why would he even venture there? did he not have water in his kit? as another poster stated, would be good to know what was missing if anything and what he had in the tent.

There's always more than is not known/revealed.

There's always more than is not known/revealed.
my issue is that i know the police procedure for these things - it is not extensive and it doesn't allow for supposition unless a detective has suspicion of something untoward. The search is minimal by police if no suspicion - though in this case the public have done brilliantly in offering support - so its likely the local area to the camp site is key as well as kit that was left and any missing items.

We have a new video on our YouTube of our search for missing Neil Skinner in a hope to raise awareness and in tribute to him, with permission from Neil's family.

The video accompanies lyrics written by Neil's sister in law Sue Skinner about the search for Neil, with melody and narration by Paul O'Brien

Neil vanished on a camping and hiking holiday in May 2022 near Loch Dochard in Bridge of Orchy

I had missed this one first time around and just had a quick look over it and found this article which was quite moving re the family and hopeful that there are others who searched.

On the Charles Kelly thread I put on that it was the Lake District Search & Mountain Rescue Association that helped find Charles with a new piece of automated drone software they had developed. The first time this software had been deployed on a live search. Let’s hope this technology can be used to search other missing people including Neil.

I was thinking about this case again the other day, something just doesn't sit right with it all. The 2 other hikers refusing to speak to anyone other than Police and not being involved in searches or giving more info to the family is so bizarre but even beyond that he can't have just vanished having just put up a tent and leaving everything in there.

I can't see that Neil got lost - if you were going anywhere, then something would be missing from the kit and the tent, you wouldn't have left it all and went off somewhere. If you had fitness issues that stopped you walking on your trip then you would surely have been using the walking poles at all times. If the weather got so bad that the other 2 abandoned the rest of the 5 day wild camp and went back, then it surely would have been atrocious enough for Neil to stay in the tent as well?.

If he went to the water - surely his water bottle would have been missing from the tent, the only reason he'd go near water is surely to get some to drink?. If it was for another reason such as to have a wash then he would have taken some soap or something with him and that would have been noticed as missing? Even if he went to the water and fell in, he'd have approached a shallow side for whatever reason he was going to the waterside, so wouldn't have been entangled or in a deep part.

At first i wondered if maybe he went into nearby woodland to use the toilet but all heavily forested area there appears to have deer fences around it so unlikely he'd have climbed them.

somethings just not right, even with an apparent history of getting lost, some kit would have been missing from the tent if he left that tent to walk somewhere.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare
Back