Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a genuine question and if it appears stupid or insensitive then I apologise in advance ... Can somebody explain to me how someone can commit suicide going into water when they can swim? Surely your natural reaction kicks in and prevents you from drowning? How do you drown yourself? Wouldn't you just float? Or is it the tempreture that is fatal? I have tried to understand it but I can't figure it out.
you can get hypothermic quickly- the older you are the more likely it is and if you are in any way ill or impaired-

Hypothermia Table

https://www.useakayak.org › references › hypothermia...

Water Temperature in Degrees F (Degrees C). Loss of Dexterity (with no protective clothing). Exhaustion or Unconsciousness. Expected Time of Survival ...

That doesn’t sound familiar to me. PA placed the call to Police. Police asked him to return home as they would send officers to his home address and the bench area.
Below is a paragraph I have taken from the transcript by @Allabouttrial of the PA/DW interview. This can be found in full in the media thread.

Paul - Nothing, nothing. I'd rung 999 on the way because I obviously knew something was wrong so the police rang me then while I was at the bench and said 'look you've got to get home because the police are going to be coming to your house, we need somebody at your house. You get home the police are on their way there. So I've rung the police at like.. about 10:50 and they were there, they got there at 25 past. So they were there really, really quick. So I then, I'd gone home then, taken Willow back.
I remember people questioning why it was necessary for PA to go back home and meet with police at the house. But given what we now know about a prior visit on Jan 10, it makes sense that they needed to have a more in-depth discussion than they could have at the riverside.

How can you say it's not the correct line of enquiry? The police have not just looked at one possibility and only one. They have spent massive amount of policing officer hours on this.

The police deal with missing people every single day, hundreds go missing up and down the county and majority are traced quickly because the police know how to investigate them.

There is zero evidence she was attacked, kidnapped or disposed. All of these would have likely made a noise, caused a disturbance or left evidence. How is an attacker or kidnapper leaving the area with a person or body?

There is no physical evidence of her going in the water either you might say, but there wouldn't likely be until a body is found. The phone and lead places her in the area, right next to the water though.

People are trying to make this like a Netflix drama. In reality though, the simplest answer is usually the correct one.
BBM
Perhaps because the person was familiar to Nicola. And/or she was asked for her help. And there was no one else around.

Im not sure if they shared it
IMO I don’t think you can really ‘share’ a Fitbit, the app that you download & has all your data on it is linked to you. For someone else to then use it, the original wearer would need to delete the app, the other person would then need to download the app, pair their own phone with the Fitbit so their data was recorded (In which case you’re now no longer paired with the Fitbit & no longer have any data) & then repeat this process again for the original wearer to utilise it. Reading that back it doesn’t make much sense lol, but I know what I’m saying. MOO

I remember people questioning why it was necessary for PA to go back home and meet with police at the house. But given what we now know about a prior visit on Jan 10, it makes sense that they needed to have a more in-depth discussion than they could have at the riverside.
It’s a routine protocol to follow. PA addresses this himself in this interview. The media thread has some great resources in it including a link to the interview and a transcript of the full interview.

A few thoughts, for what they're worth:

1. There is some confusion about the phone and its placement when found. I thought it was originally stated that the phone was found on the ground, about two feet from the bench, by the older gentleman walking his dog, and he placed it on the bench. He was preceded by the lady who saw Willow running about, with no owner in sight. She had observed the harness halfway down the river bank and attached Willow to the bench with it. If the phone was originally found on the ground prior thereto, rather than on the bench, this infers, at least to me, that something untoward happened to Nicola at that spot.

2. Willow was running back and forth between the bench and the gate. If Nicola had entered the water there, she would have been running between the water and the bench, or perhaps would have stayed by the water. I believe Nicola left through that gate.

3. If I recall correctly, somewhere back in the threads, it was stated that Nicola's time frames of walking - via her phone - first, from the bench to the open field and then, later, back to the bench, were different - the latter being shorter. If this is so, was there a reason why she somewhat "hurried" back to the bench?

4. My belief is, if Nicola was planning either suicide or running away from it all, she would not have taken her loved dog with her, to be suddenly left all alone, confused and upset. She would have kept Willow at home, and made some excuse to leave in order to follow through with her plan.

5. Specifics about her "vulnerabilities" should never have been disclosed by the authorities. This was terrible judgment on their part. Aside from the obvious effect on her family, doing so added nothing positive to the investigation and only muddied the waters even more. Now there are those who would like to see her as a psychotic drunk wandering around with a bottle in her hand. It's disgraceful.

These are my opinions only, based on observations after plowing through so many threads with glazed eyes and a like mind, which I'm sure many of you can relate to. Please let forth with your own thoughts, corrections, criticisms, suggestions, admonitions ............

I so want this lady to be found alive. Her poor little children.

I see something like this as entirely possible. I won't be at all surprised if she's found alive, but I won't be at all surprised if it turns out that she ran off and committed suicide.
I'm at:
30% voluntary/still alive
30% voluntary/suicide
20% abduction
20% accidental drowning
SpideySense said:
I just need to get clarification on something, because I’m wondering if assumptions are being made that may not be accurate: have LE or family reported anything specifically mentioning depression or possibility of suicide?

The reason I ask is because my understanding of perimenopause and menopause is that it’s a vulnerable time for women to experience a wide array of mental health issues, even if they’ve never experienced them before or only in mild forms. Mood disorders (depression, bipolar disorder, and anxiety) are one category of mental illness that may be exacerbated or have first onset during this period, but psychotic disorders like schizophrenia are another.

AFAIK, NB reportedly had vulnerabilities related to menopause and alcohol. Her family has reported that she suffered substantial negative effects from menopause including “brain fog,” then stopped taking HRT cold turkey because of severe headaches. They’ve stated that this abrupt cessation of HRT may have led to the current “crisis.”

With respect to the January 10 welfare check, my recollection is that LE stated no arrests were made, but that the matter was still being investigated.

**A different purely speculative take**

Maybe NB was not depressed or suicidal, but instead extremely anxious or experiencing psychosis-like symptoms. Maybe the January 10 visit was due to a panic attack, or paranoid delusions. Maybe she had expressed ideas or actions that involved harming someone not herself.

If abruptly stopping the HRT and the resulting sudden drop in estrogen led to a psychiatric crisis, for all we know, that crisis might have been related to manic, schizoid, or anxious delusional beliefs about PA, her family, or her children.

I suppose what I’m trying to say is, rather than being depressed or suicidal, is it possible NB developed ideas that led her to believe she needed to “escape” from people who might harm her, to plan that escape to avoid detection while operating under these delusions, even to secret away food and necessities in some location? Might she have left her phone so as not to be tracked? Might LE’s phrasing that they believed she “entered the river” be an indication she wanted to throw off scent hounds for a good distance? Could she be somewhere in an abandoned house actively trying to hide from authorities, who might be part of some imagined conspiracy?

PA’s recent interview wherein he says something like he wants every place within a certain area searched top to bottom makes sense to me if he believes she may be avoiding detection due to irrational beliefs.

MOO

This isn’t really relevant to the case, but it’s just something I wanted to share here as an example/possibility, just as others have with themselves/family members/friends.

Not sure if anyone here knows Kellie Pickler (she was on American Idol years ago and continued her career in country music and also radio, my personal favourite of her season) but yesterday it was reported that her husband of 12 years committed suicide: American Idol alum Kellie Pickler’s husband Kyle Jacobs dies by apparent suicide

This just made me stop and think for a moment. Nicola and Paul have been in a relationship for 12 years.

Kyle Jacobs (Kellie’s husband) didn’t post loads on social media, but he did just the day before his death. And it was celebrating the fact his song went platinum (he was a songwriter):
Nicola seemed happy the evening before (according to her parents) and she was organised the next morning (according to Paul) and she was laughing and joking on that day (according to newspaper reports).

This is just my personal opinion, but to me everything points towards suicide sadly (which I started to think after they released the private information). It’s just interesting as to how people’s minds work and that it doesn’t always seem “logical”. Sometimes it’s the opposite and I suppose that’s the point of this post.

SpideySense said:
I just need to get clarification on something, because I’m wondering if assumptions are being made that may not be accurate: have LE or family reported anything specifically mentioning depression or possibility of suicide?

The reason I ask is because my understanding of perimenopause and menopause is that it’s a vulnerable time for women to experience a wide array of mental health issues, even if they’ve never experienced them before or only in mild forms. Mood disorders (depression, bipolar disorder, and anxiety) are one category of mental illness that may be exacerbated or have first onset during this period, but psychotic disorders like schizophrenia are another.

AFAIK, NB reportedly had vulnerabilities related to menopause and alcohol. Her family has reported that she suffered substantial negative effects from menopause including “brain fog,” then stopped taking HRT cold turkey because of severe headaches. They’ve stated that this abrupt cessation of HRT may have led to the current “crisis.”

With respect to the January 10 welfare check, my recollection is that LE stated no arrests were made, but that the matter was still being investigated.

Maybe NB was not depressed or suicidal, but instead extremely anxious or experiencing psychosis-like symptoms. Maybe the January 10 visit was due to a panic attack, or paranoid delusions. Maybe she had expressed ideas or actions that involved harming someone not herself.

If abruptly stopping the HRT and the resulting sudden drop in estrogen led to a psychiatric crisis, for all we know, that crisis might have been related to manic, schizoid, or anxious delusional beliefs about PA, her family, or her children.

I suppose what I’m trying to say is, rather than being depressed or suicidal, is it possible NB developed ideas that led her to believe she needed to “escape” from people who might harm her, to plan that escape to avoid detection while operating under these delusions, even to secret away food and necessities in some location? Might she have left her phone so as not to be tracked? Might LE’s phrasing that they believed she “entered the river” be an indication she wanted to throw off scent hounds for a good distance? Could she be somewhere in an abandoned house actively trying to hide from authorities, who might be part of some imagined conspiracy?

PA’s recent interview wherein he says something like he wants every place within a certain area searched top to bottom makes sense to me if he believes she may be avoiding detection due to irrational beliefs.

MOO
Brilliant thoughts, Spidey Sense's, on how the sudden drop in estrogen could have triggered the onset of psychotic symptoms, paranoia, mania, extreme anxiety and delusions about how her partner, children and family were all out to get her. She may have felt that her only recourse was to escape and may have meticulously planned an "escape" so that she'd be safe from those trying to harm her. Also agree that Paul wanting every house searched from top to bottom within a certain area suggests that he may believe that she's in hiding.
MOO

Many viable possibilities for what happened to her. Absolutely heart-breaking.

This isn’t really relevant to the case, but it’s just something I wanted to share here as an example/possibility, just as others have with themselves/family members/friends.

Not sure if anyone here knows Kellie Pickler (she was on American Idol years ago and continued her career in country music and also radio, my personal favourite of her season) but yesterday it was reported that her husband of 12 years committed suicide: American Idol alum Kellie Pickler’s husband Kyle Jacobs dies by apparent suicide

This just made me stop and think for a moment. Nicola and Paul have been in a relationship for 12 years.

Kyle Jacobs (Kellie’s husband) didn’t post loads on social media, but he did just the day before his death. And it was celebrating the fact his song went platinum (he was a songwriter):
Nicola seemed happy the evening before (according to her parents) and she was organised the next morning (according to Paul) and she was laughing and joking on that day (according to newspaper reports).

This is just my personal opinion, but to me everything points towards suicide sadly (which I started to think after they released the private information). It’s just interesting as to how people’s minds work and that it doesn’t always seem “logical”. Sometimes it’s the opposite and I suppose that’s the point of this post.
Good insights. Most people think that their friend or family member would never commit suicide, homicide, etc. And we often hear comments such as they saw the person this morning and she was so cheerful and happy, so this couldn't have happened. People can be experiencing major trauma and be suicidal but never give others a clue to their inner trauma.

One of her friends said "she would never leave her children". Well, in our right minds, we wouldn't ever leave our children or commit suicide. But, people who attempt to commit suicide or who commit suicide are often tormented with horrible death-dealing thoughts and they convince themselves that everybody would be better off if they weren't alive. When people are considering suicide, their thought process is often impaired and they have often convinced themselves that their family, friends and even their children would be happier, healthier and better off if they just disappeared.

I don't know if this is what happened but people who look and act totally together and normal can be experiencing terrible emotional pain and irrational thought processes that can lead to them convincing themselves that their committing suicide would be the best thing for everyone.

And, at the same time, somebody could have been stalking her and knew that she often walked at that time, and she could have been attacked or abducted.

There seems to be an intense focus on whether she somehow got in the river. And that could point to an accident, an intentional act on her part to either escape or commit suicide or an attack from somebody who strangled her or murdered her by the river and threw her in the river. Any of this is a lot to occur in a 12 minute time-frame, but all of these options are possible.

A few thoughts, for what they're worth:

1. There is some confusion about the phone and its placement when found. I thought it was originally stated that the phone was found on the ground, about two feet from the bench, by the older gentleman walking his dog, and he placed it on the bench. He was preceded by the lady who saw Willow running about, with no owner in sight. She had observed the harness halfway down the river bank and attached Willow to the bench with it. If the phone was originally found on the ground prior thereto, rather than on the bench, this infers, at least to me, that something untoward happened to Nicola at that spot.

2. Willow was running back and forth between the bench and the gate. If Nicola had entered the water there, she would have been running between the water and the bench, or perhaps would have stayed by the water. I believe Nicola left through that gate.

3. If I recall correctly, somewhere back in the threads, it was stated that Nicola's time frames of walking - via her phone - first, from the bench to the open field and then, later, back to the bench, were different - the latter being shorter. If this is so, was there a reason why she somewhat "hurried" back to the bench?

4. My belief is, if Nicola was planning either suicide or running away from it all, she would not have taken her loved dog with her, to be suddenly left all alone, confused and upset. She would have kept Willow at home, and made some excuse to leave in order to follow through with her plan.

5. Specifics about her "vulnerabilities" should never have been disclosed by the authorities. This was terrible judgment on their part. Aside from the obvious effect on her family, doing so added nothing positive to the investigation and only muddied the waters even more. Now there are those who would like to see her as a psychotic drunk wandering around with a bottle in her hand. It's disgraceful.

These are my opinions only, based on observations after plowing through so many threads with glazed eyes and a like mind, which I'm sure many of you can relate to. Please let forth with your own thoughts, corrections, criticisms, suggestions, admonitions ............

I so want this lady to be found alive. Her poor little children.
Appreciate your thoughts, HelenK, and you raised some excellent questions.

1. My sense is that the phone was originally found on the ground and somebody put it on the bench. If that's true, it's still puzzling and adds to the confusion. If somebody attacks you, it seems they would throw your phone in the bushes or river. If you're planning on "escaping" or committing suicide, you likely wouldn't want to be found so you would have dumped the phone in a more obscure place on the walk, I would think. Or, perhaps, the phone was left by the river to throw people off and make people think she was in the river when she may actually have gone through the gate.

2. HelenK has an excellent insight that seem right-on-target and certainly worth exploring as a possibility. HelenK said that "Willow was running back and forth between the bench and the gate. If Nicola had entered the water there, she would have been running between the water and the bench, or perhaps would have stayed by the water. I believe Nicola left through that gate."

3. Interesting question posed by HelenK in her point 3. Was there a reason that Nicola hurried back to the bench?

4. I was wondering the same thing that HelenK posed in her point 4: "My belief is, if Nicola was planning either suicide or running away from it all, she would not have taken her loved dog with her, to be suddenly left all alone, confused and upset. She would have kept Willow at home, and made some excuse to leave in order to follow through with her plan."

I cannot fathom taking one's beloved dog on a walk where you were planning on escaping from everybody or committing suicide. It makes absolutely no sense for Nicola to take her dog if she was planning to run away or commit suicide. Unless she spontaneously and impulsively decided in that moment to escape or commit suicide. Escaping would surely have required more planning and committing suicide without a prior plan is harder to do, but possible if she jumped in the river....

5. While I understand why the investigators talked about Nicola's vulnerabilities, I think it was a poor judgement call that didn't add anything positive to the investigation. Instead, they made Nicola to be the "problem" who likely wasn't injured by a 3rd party but instead was the cause of her disappearance because of her "problems".

Would an investigator have talked about a man who disappeared in a similar fashion as somebody who is "high risk" and have "vulnerabilities"? I don't think so.

What was gained by violating Nicola's very personal emotional situation and trauma? And, even if something was gained, such sharing of Nicola's "vulnerabilities" was inappropriate, unethical and simply wrong.

Very much appreciated HelenK's thought-provoking insights.

Hoping that Nicola is alive but very much afraid that she's not.

Apologies if this has already been posted but I found this interesting:

“Don Jones said “we know just what they must be going through” because his brother Roger also vanished on 27 January close to the River Wyre near Preston in 1978.”

“His brother told The Daily Star: “He was obviously swept over the weir and into the tidal part of the river”

He was found two months later.

Folks who have a good knowledge of UK investigative work, at what point does someone get declared a POI (more for interest sake really)? Do the police need to have a sufficient amount of evidence before a POI is named, or what’s the process.

I’m not implying that PA could be a future POI but I remember back to the Alison Baden-Clay murder (I’m from Brisbane, QLD, Australia) and this was a case very close to home.

IMO MOO

SpideySense said:

MOO
What I find strange is why the police were involved on 10th January. When I’ve had panic attacks and mental health episodes, I’ve called the ambulance, not the police. So how come that is I wonder? Why would they call the police? Who called the police, NB or PA? Calling the police generally happens when you think you could be harmed or somebody else..

Last edited:
Appreciate your thoughts, HelenK, and you raised some excellent questions.

1. My sense is that the phone was originally found on the ground and somebody put it on the bench. If that's true, it's still puzzling and adds to the confusion. If somebody attacks you, it seems they would throw your phone in the bushes or river. If you're planning on "escaping" or committing suicide, you likely wouldn't want to be found so you would have dumped the phone in a more obscure place on the walk, I would think. Or, perhaps, the phone was left by the river to throw people off and make people think she was in the river when she may actually have gone through the gate.

2. HelenK has an excellent insight that seem right-on-target and certainly worth exploring as a possibility. HelenK said that "Willow was running back and forth between the bench and the gate. If Nicola had entered the water there, she would have been running between the water and the bench, or perhaps would have stayed by the water. I believe Nicola left through that gate."

3. Interesting question posed by HelenK in her point 3. Was there a reason that Nicola hurried back to the bench?

4. I was wondering the same thing that HelenK posed in her point 4: "My belief is, if Nicola was planning either suicide or running away from it all, she would not have taken her loved dog with her, to be suddenly left all alone, confused and upset. She would have kept Willow at home, and made some excuse to leave in order to follow through with her plan."

I cannot fathom taking one's beloved dog on a walk where you were planning on escaping from everybody or committing suicide. It makes absolutely no sense for Nicola to take her dog if she was planning to run away or commit suicide. Unless she spontaneously and impulsively decided in that moment to escape or commit suicide. Escaping would surely have required more planning and committing suicide without a prior plan is harder to do, but possible if she jumped in the river....

5. While I understand why the investigators talked about Nicola's vulnerabilities, I think it was a poor judgement call that didn't add anything positive to the investigation. Instead, they made Nicola to be the "problem" who likely wasn't injured by a 3rd party but instead was the cause of her disappearance because of her "problems".

Would an investigator have talked about a man who disappeared in a similar fashion as somebody who is "high risk" and have "vulnerabilities"? I don't think so.

What was gained by violating Nicola's very personal emotional situation and trauma? And, even if something was gained, such sharing of Nicola's "vulnerabilities" was inappropriate, unethical and simply wrong.

Very much appreciated HelenK's thought-provoking insights.

Hoping that Nicola is alive but very much afraid that she's not.
When you say an abductor would throw the phone, that’s not true unless the abductor held the phone in their hands (they’d need to dispose of evidence). But I’m this case…Nicola had the the phone out in her hands and sat on the bench with the phone, and she could have put it down. They say the phone was found on the bench and that’s where the first witness saw it. An abductor knows phones have tracking, so they’d have seen her with the phone out. And would have told her not to bring it. Someone who is quite creepy or making threats towards you, you’re gonna listen to them.

Last edited:
When you say an abducted would throw the phone, that’s not true unless the abductor held the phone on their hands. Nicola aha Ty he phone in her hands and sat on the bench with the phone, and she could have put it down. They say the phone was found on the bench and that’s where the first witness saw it. An abductor knows phones have tracking, so they’d have seen her with the phone out. And would have told her not to bring it. Someone who is quite creepy or making h th rests towards you, you’re gonna listen to them.
*threats

Folks who have a good knowledge of UK investigative work, at what point does someone get declared a POI (more for interest sake really)? Do the police need to have a sufficient amount of evidence before a POI is named, or what’s the process.

I’m not implying that PA could be a future POI but I remember back to the Alison Baden-Clay murder (I’m from Brisbane, QLD, Australia) and this was a case very close to home.

IMO MOO
I'm not sure that we really have such a term here, and I think even where you're based there needs to be suspicion of a crime first. The case you mention is one where it was clear, upon finding the body, that there had been a suspicious cause of death. We have missing persons investigations where the disappearance might be suspicious from the outset - e.g, the spouse says the misper set off for a walk, but all CCTV, neighbour accounts, etc.say otherwise. And with NB we are NOT in that sort of situation.

BBM
Perhaps because the person was familiar to Nicola. And/or she was asked for her help. And there was no one else around.
Why are people assuming she would make a noise if approached by somebody who is evidently creepy or sinister? Did you know you can go into shock? A woman being approached particularly by a scary man if you’re on your own can make you feel incredibly vulnerable if you feel threatened. Deer in the headlights situation. Also, did you know that somebody can make threats towards you, your family or kids, and if you don’t do what they say or go with them, they can harm you. So sometimes, you go along with them and walk silently.

Why are people assuming she would make a noise if approached by somebody who is evidently creepy or sinister? Did you know you can go into shock? A woman being approached particularly by a scary man if you’re on your own can make you feel incredibly vulnerable if you feel threatened. Deer in the headlights situation. Also, did you know that somebody can make threats towards you, your family or kids, and if you don’t do what they say or go with them, they can harm you. So sometimes, you go along with them and walk silently.
Sometimes, you are too scared to scream. Here’s an example and sexual harrassment can happen to a lot of women surprisingly. I’ve been in a public place, where a man approached me at the station and persuaded me to sit with him on the train. Things were fine for a couple of minutes when I first met him at the station and the chat was friendly, but things took a dodgy turn and it got weird within five minutes. Yet I felt obliged to sit with him on the train, even though I was hoping somebody would look in my eyes and sense that I needed help. He never got off at my stop in the end even tho he lied and said he was getting off there too, because fortunately I bumped into my friends brother who spotted me on there. Right place, right time people get away with things. luckily he didn’t. But sometimes, you don’t scream. And that was me, in a public place, surrounded by people, unlike Nicola, where nobody was around at the time… but yet, I was worried what would happen if i did make a noise. Might he have a knife on him? Might be attack me? Will people believe me or think I’m the one who’s crazy? Many many questions appear in your head when you’re being harassed. It’s scary as tbh. Thoughts on that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members