Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire), Jan 2023 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is sad - this guy went missing around the same time as NB and like her, his phone has been found by water.

Also the young man, Nathan Cole, from London who was sadly located in a canal :( around the same time.

Also the young man, Nathan Cole, from London who was sadly located in a canal :( around the same time.
That's also terribly sad. And yet he, like Peter Baglin, had hardly any publicity. Something about NB caught the public's imagination and, if certain Social Media sites are to be believed, is still catching their imagination now. Many of them have rather over-vivid imaginations IMO. I don't know why people can't let it lie, at least until the inquest.

Out of curiosity and in other people's experiences, why would someone get a visit from the police alongside a health professional?
If it sounded quite serious and the person had maybe had previous mental health authorities or police contact and it sounded like it may need a section to be enforced. A social worker or Dr. can't force you in hospital and actually carry you but a police officer can. Have had experience of this with my sister and a lady in our road who used to lay in the road naked, so I do know. Some people actually get violent when told they are being Sectioned and have to go in hospital and just refuse to go. Often the police aren't needed as it's decided not to section after all. Not saying anyone was near being Sectioned in this case.

Anyone can ring 999 and say they have concern for someone. We had police with flashing lights here twice when my daughter was 14/15 and arguing with her mum and both shouting and screaming! A neighbour, whom they wouldn't name, had rung and said a female was screaming. We were all questioned and they checked every room and garden and shed, even thought it was 10pm. I felt so ashamed but the nice WPC says they go out a lot in similar circumstances as it's better safe than sorry. They were warned the second time to argue more quietly in future as it was wasting police time and many more visits could result in a fine for breach of the peace.

Last edited:
If it sounded quite serious and the person had maybe had previous mental health authorities or police contact and it sounded like it may need a section to be enforced. A social worker or Dr. can't force you in hospital and actually carry you but a police officer can. Have had experience of this with my sister and a lady in our road who used to lay in the road naked, so I do know. Some people actually get violent when told they are being Sectioned and have to go in hospital and just refuse to go. Often the police aren't needed as it's decided not to section after all. Not saying anyone was near being Sectioned in this case.

Anyone can ring 999 and say they have concern for someone. We had police with flashing lights here twice when my daughter was 14/15 and arguing with her mum and both shouting and screaming! A neighbour, whom they wouldn't name, had rung and said a female was screaming. We were all questioned and they checked every room and garden and shed, even thought it was 10pm. I felt so ashamed but the nice WPC says they go out a lot in similar circumstances as it's better safe than sorry. They were warned the second time to argue more quietly in future as it was wasting police time and many more visits could result in a fine for breach of the peace.

Sorry, I meant aside from mental health, as we don't know what sort of 'health professional' came with the cops. Unfortunately, I know a lot about sectioning and the cops!

There are a number of articles on the internet about the psychological reasons people engage in and entertain themselves with conspiracies but I'm not going to say what I think the motivation is of anyone posting on WS.
We know it is stated as a fact by LE, the family, witnesses at school and the park, etc., that it was NB who took the children to school and walked the dog. For it not to be NB means all of those people are lying and an imposter took her place, which would be a conspiracy.
When the Police in their first press conference ask for dashcam footage between the time of 9:10 - 9:15am from vehicles travelling on Garstang Road when it should have been Blackpool Lane. But it makes no difference...She would never been on dashcam footage because according to the Police timelines, at 9:10am NB should have been in the upper field walking her dog...This is very concerning.

Last edited:
There are a number of articles on the internet about the psychological reasons people engage in and entertain themselves with conspiracies but I'm not going to say what I think the motivation is of anyone posting on WS.
We know it is stated as a fact by LE, the family, witnesses at school and the park, etc., that it was NB who took the children to school and walked the dog. For it not to be NB means all of those people are lying and an imposter took her place, which would be a conspiracy.
DBM...Duplicate

DBM Duplicate

When the Police in their first press conference ask for dashcam footage between the time of 9:10 - 9:15am from vehicles travelling on Garstang Road when it should have been Blackpool Lane. But it makes no difference...She would never been on dashcam footage because according to the Police timelines, at 9:10am NB should have been in the upper field walking her dog...This is very concerning.

Nothing wrong with trying to cover their bases, especially when they didn't know what had happened and some people were going nuts about it for some reason. It's a good idea to ask for potential witnesses and/or footage before it gets erased or people forget. The fact no-one came forward only makes that sighting more sure.

These ‘two’ roads are just a continuation of the A586 named differently either side of the bridge. I doubt any motorist would even distinguish between the names as it’s just the single main road through the village. I doubt anyone would think ‘I won’t send in my dashcam because I was on Blackpool Lane not Garstang Rd’ - infact motorists would have travelled on both.

IMHO the police were trying to show she didn’t come out of the riverside area during the 10 minutes unaccounted for my either witnesses or phone data.

Nothing wrong with trying to cover their bases, especially when they didn't know what had happened and some people were going nuts about it for some reason. It's a good idea to ask for potential witnesses and/or footage before it gets erased or people forget. The fact no-one came forward only makes that sighting more sure.
With what we know now it does seem odd times to be requesting footage for.
Given they believe no 3rd party is involved and that the phone approached the bench at 9.20 then what are they expecting to see between 9.10 and 9.15.
I'd have thought any footage from 9.20 onwards would be more relevant

Important to review Nicola Bulley case, says PCC​

A police boss said it was important to review a force's handling of the Nicola Bulley case to understand how the narrative got so "out of control".

He said he hoped "lessons can be learned" from the "tragic case".

"We are bringing in the College of Policing to look at [the case] and provide that assurance for the public about how, on a case where the police theory around what had happened had been proven to be correct all the way along, did the narrative go so national and international and get out of control?

"How did the police lose control of that narrative around what was actually happening on the ground? It was lost that we were searching for a missing mother, missing partner, missing sister," Mr Snowden told BBC Radio Lancashire.

"That got lost in the narrative in what became almost like a social media pile-on in parts around who could be the next best detective to come up with all these different increasing theories.

"A lot of them had absolutely no base in any reason or fact. At the end of the day, the police were right all the way along. It was the narrative that was lost not the actual police investigation."

Given they believe no 3rd party is involved and that the phone approached the bench at 9.20 then what are they expecting to see between 9.10 and 9.15.

Not really.

Even if you're just covering your bases, you want to make sure something didn't happen in the time leading up to the key time so later, when the case is reviewed, you can show you did everything in your power to identify what was going on as soon as you could.

It's hard, but we can't judge by hindsight. We have to remember what the police did/didn't know when they made this appeal, and how some people were acting like rabid animals chasing this case for some reason.

Important to review Nicola Bulley case, says PCC​

A police boss said it was important to review a force's handling of the Nicola Bulley case to understand how the narrative got so "out of control".

He said he hoped "lessons can be learned" from the "tragic case".

"We are bringing in the College of Policing to look at [the case] and provide that assurance for the public about how, on a case where the police theory around what had happened had been proven to be correct all the way along, did the narrative go so national and international and get out of control?

"How did the police lose control of that narrative around what was actually happening on the ground? It was lost that we were searching for a missing mother, missing partner, missing sister," Mr Snowden told BBC Radio Lancashire.

"That got lost in the narrative in what became almost like a social media pile-on in parts around who could be the next best detective to come up with all these different increasing theories.

"A lot of them had absolutely no base in any reason or fact. At the end of the day, the police were right all the way along. It was the narrative that was lost not the actual police investigation."

Definitely think this is well worth doing so 'lessons can be learned' in the way police communicate with the public in future.

A couple of quick points though -
First, the PCC is effectively a politician and will be looking towards the next election

Secondly, I personally don't like him saying "At the end of the day, the police were right all the way along." before the inquest has concluded. It smacks of smugness and complacency.

Third, yes the police comms were a bit of a dog's dinner but what really drove the narrative was, in my opinion, over-reporting by tabloids and 24 hour rolling news channels who dragged in every ex and former copper to fill their columns and broadcasts.
Most of these people knew no more about this particular case than the ordinary man on the street, but were quite happy to opine, pontificate and generally plant seeds of doubt in the minds of people who have too much time on their hands.
Together with the amount of press coverage and weight given to the loose lipped 'expert' sonar guy with a book to promote it's little wonder a tragically sad situation turned into a nationwide drama.

Finally, and I won't knock the guy because I suspect we'd all do it if we were in his situation, the hour long programme featuring a lengthy interview with PA should serve as a lesson to families who might find themselves in a similar unfortunate position.
The media are not your friends, they're businesses and in agreeing to such an interview, you become their product which they present to the millions of people who will judge you and from that moment on, you are public property and subject to all the (word deleted) that comes with it.

Last edited:
Definitely think this is well worth doing so 'lessons can be learned' in the way police communicate with the public in future.

A couple of quick points though -
First, the PCC is effectively a politician and will be looking towards the next election

Secondly, I personally don't like him saying "At the end of the day, the police were right all the way along." before the inquest has concluded. It smacks of smugness and complacency.

Third, yes the police comms were a bit of a dog's dinner but what really drove the narrative was, in my opinion, over-reporting by tabloids and 24 hour rolling news channels who dragged in every ex and former copper to fill their columns and broadcasts.
Most of these people knew no more about this particular case than the ordinary man on the street, but were quite happy to opine, pontificate and generally plant seeds of doubt in the minds of people who have too much time on their hands.
Together with the amount of press coverage and weight given to the loose lipped 'expert' sonar guy with a book to promote it's little wonder a tragically sad situation turned into a nationwide drama.

Finally, and I won't knock the guy because I suspect we'd all do it if we were in his situation, the hour long programme featuring a lengthy interview with PA should serve as a lesson to families who might find themselves in a similar unfortunate position.
The media are not your friends, they're businesses and in agreeing to such an interview, you become their product which they present to the millions of people who will judge you and from that moment on, you are public property and subject to all the that comes with it.
The media are definitely not your friend.

The balance is difficult because on the one hand family members need the media to publicise their case but then they open themselves to public exploitation by that same media.

The media are definitely not your friend.

The balance is difficult because on the one hand family members need the media to publicise their case but then they open themselves to public exploitation by that same media.

You do, and the usual way is a tightly choreographed, short appeal flanked by police officers.

I don't know if PA was offered this or if he trusted the friend of a friend Dan Walker, but I do think his demeanour during that interview - no doubt caused by the multiple stresses piled up on him - didn't do him any favours and opened him up to more suspicion and abuse than if he'd not don't it.
I feel it was also the moment it turned from a missing person case into a kind of macabre soap opera.
It also didn't help when it became obvious that life in the household hadn't been as rosy as he was keen to portray and once you've told a single fib, they pile on like a tonne of bricks.

With ref to 'how did Willow not follow her', I still think it possible that Willow was in harness and tied up, but she then managed to pull out of harness, which is why the harness was found between bench and river bank. IMO
But if Willow were tied to the bench in the harness and she pulled free of the harness, the harness would still be tied to the bench, no?

Footage request from school walk to field would be important also. It was never asked for. There is absolutely nothing IMO

Footage request from school walk to field would be important also. It was never asked for. There is absolutely nothing IMO

Probably because they already had footage, knew they wouldn't get any footage because of the location, or because they consider the witnesses that saw her in the field enough proof.

You have to remember, there wasn't a crime committed and the police thought this from day one. Whilst they had to cover their bases and make sure Nicola hadn't just gone walking out of the woods and gone missing elsewhere, it's redundant if they have enough proof someone was somewhere at a particular time, backed up by other evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJ81