Found Deceased UK - Nida Ul-Naseer, 18, Newport S. Wales, 28 Dec 2013

'Disturbed and depressed'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...490&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Nida had a place at university (so starting this summer?) but had to turn it down as parents couldn't afford it. There was a furious row about it that night. To me, that could have been enough to tip Nida into a very distraught state as that could be heartbreaking after working so hard at school.

It would be interesting to know if her parents had any plans for Nida instead, and why Dad seems not to appreciate how distressing it must have been for her.

Link to Nida's FB again. https://www.facebook.com/FindNida

Nida's health - there is a cultural reason why Nida coud be anaemic which is fairly common and could be solved with adjustments in diet and supplements.

There is another reason why women of all cultures commonly become anaemic..

An eating disorder could cause anaemia.

I'm mentioning this because the latter two could have some bearing upon her disappearance, I think.

I can't think of any other reasons for such severe anaemia in a young woman, although there are probably loads.

I would like to know when Nida's last phone activity was, when she was last seen by someone outside of family, when she was reported missing and if her sister was at home when Nida disappeared. Also, why her mother didn't appear in the interview.

Exactly - there are loads of questions not being asked and little given away publicly. Very very weird. Esp the Mother not being present. The anaemia could also be a B12 anaemia (pernicious anaemia) or a mixed iron deficiency/B12 deficiency (I have the latter which is treated).

Her sister (Neela?) has just this minute made an appeal via BBC radio.

Police are now saying 'there might have been a row' and Nida 'might have stormed off', rather than putting out the rubbish. Sounds like family have changed their story, and I cannot quite see why they would have said Nida was putting out trash when they knew she had run off angry or upset.

Nida is of Pakistani origin, I believe. If her parents are Pakistani born, this could have been an age where they were seeking to arrange a marriage for her, quite possibly with someone she had never met who lives in rural Pakistan. By her dress, Nida looks quite non-traditional.

Just saying.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/01/newport-wales-missing-teenage-girl

Holy cow - I somehow missed her age when I started reading this and just focused on 'teen' somewhere and then saw the picture and figured her to be like 13 or 14 (maybe, even!)

Then got to where you mentioned her being around the age of an arranged marriage and thought to myself that may be hard to pull off in the UK at that age - or at least legally.

Then I scrolled back up and realized I'd totally missed that she was 18! She looks so young in that picture.

I know, she has such a sweet, tiny young face. It's very sad.

I believe that pic/poster was put together by a friend. I can see no trace of input from family on the FB page or elswhere online. That's odd too, given the age group of Nida's siblings. I'd have thought they would be 'out there' spreading the word.

I believe that pic/poster was put together by a friend. I can see no trace of input from family on the FB page or elswhere online. That's odd too, given the age group of Nida's siblings. I'd have thought they would be 'out there' spreading the word.

Definitely could be cultural factors coming into play with all of it...that and the sign thing both.

The whole bringing shame on the family thing can be hugely problematic in cases like this, and could factor in to why her family's response is what it's been.

And it also could mean that even if she's fine and left because she was upset, she may not feel able to come home because now it's public (whether that thought might be founded or only her belief)

As for the shoe thing in the video, culturally it's common for shoes to be considered dirty (much like why foot-washing of others was so symbolic in the Bible)

Throwing/hitting someone with a shoe, and, in some cases even just showing someone the bottom of your shoe (which can definitely occur depending on how you're sitting) is often viewed as a very insulting action.

Back when the Saddam statue was knocked down in Baghdad all those years ago there was a lot of video and many photos of people hitting it with or throwing their shoes at it as it was dragged through the city.

Even those who now live in other parts of the world tend to keep that cultural symbolism. So I would definitely expect that they would keep their shoes at the door or even outside it. Though most have slippers of some sort - or, in a lot of cases, what we would describe as shower shoe type flip flop things - for wearing indoors, complete with a handful of other sizes for guests to wear when they arrive (less common if it's a poorer family)

Although I see why they would be concerned about her leaving without her phone, personally I find it far more concerning that she supposedly left without shoes (and a jacket) Unless the shoe thing really isn't a 'thing' with them (which I frankly doubt) I'd be a little surprised if she'd really even just get something from a garden outside the door or something without something on her feet. Let alone the fact that it's cold there!

I hope that she's gone to be with friends and that she'll be found ok. I'm just worried that the undercurrent of cultural things likely at play to at least some degree will make that more of a challenge than in some cases - or at least not until any real public attention dies down.

New article. 'Could not live without mobile" (unfortunate headline, imo)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-25624606

Police are questioning students at Nida's College today, Coleg Gwent. Guess it's the first day back. This makes it worse as I didn't know she was still at school. Her exams would have been coming up in summer - imagine having to take them knowing she couldn't go to university even if she passed. Poor kid.

It's kinda funny there's no description of the actual moment of her disappearance. What played out there? A screaming row, then Nida helpfully puts the trash out? Are family certain that's what she was doing, and if so, how? And if they were watching, why didn't someone tell this girl who has poor health to put her coat and shoes on, or see where she went? Where did they search for her, if they didn't call police straight away?

Questions, questions.....

That's interesting. I had no idea it could be a genetic condition. It sounds as though it can be quite serious.

I can't see anything there about stomach pains, but I suppose that could be one of the effects, just not mentioned? I wonder if Nida's medication is available without prescription? If it is, maybe she is okay out there.....

‘They said she was in anger [sic] and she just left the house with nothing. No shoes on and no money. No medication, no jacket. She was supposed to go to university but she couldn’t. They just said she couldn’t go.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ow-parents-wish-university.html#ixzz2peheLKMs
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

She left without her shoes or coat? In this weather?

No shoes make it hard for me to believe she walked out of that house under her own steam.

This story has so many contradictions, I'm still not sure what the real story is.
It seems to change daily - putting rubbish out, not putting rubbish out, minor row, furious argument, and now we hear that she had to leave university against her wishes.

I really hope she just stormed out and is at a friends house, trying to work out how to get her life back on track, but if this was a woman living with her husband, and had left her phone and purse behind after a row, leaving with no shoes or coat and having no contact with anyone since, I don't think our first assumption would be that she had just stormed out and was fine. All MOO.

It sounds to me like we are only getting a fragment of the whole picture here, while the university aspect is very possibly true, I do wonder if the arranged marriage angle is an important factor.

Would an organisation or main stream charity keep a Muslim women hidden from thier community if they suspected abuse or the potential of a Muslim woman to feel unhappy or suicidal.

Not that I'm sleuthing the parents just interested to know if she may of been accepted into a refuge?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

It sounds to me like we are only getting a fragment of the whole picture here, while the university aspect is very possibly true, I do wonder if the arranged marriage angle is an important factor.

Would an organisation or main stream charity keep a Muslim women hidden from thier community if they suspected abuse or the potential of a Muslim woman to feel unhappy or suicidal.

Not that I'm sleuthing the parents just interested to know if she may of been accepted into a refuge?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Some definitely would. I'd have to go find it but I've read at least one or two true stories of those who did. One I know ended up being taken in by a Christian family (think she met the daughter at school? Or the mom was her school counselor or something like that) I don't remember the specifics on the other, but it was along those lines.

Actually, now that I'm just typing that - before I go into the second half of - I'm pretty sure the deal was she was being abused (I'm afraid I may be mixing the two stories, but she may have started being abused so her dad wouldn't abuse her mother) Anyway, then it also ended up including the school dynamic, and because she ended up being taken in by the other family she was able to continue in school, etc.

Which is odd, because to some extent that could possibly have parallels to Nida's life - not accusing anyone of anything though. I'll go find the title after this because now this is just deja vu-esque.

I think it would be less likely she'd be taken in by a Muslim affiliated, well, honestly probably really anything. Possibly if they were more westernized or more Muslim in culture than in actual faith (if that makes sense) Part of that would likely go back to the whole shame thing and possibly bringing shame on her family, her community, etc. (Even if it were fully justified on her part to break away from something that shouldn't have been happening...or whatever it was)

In fact, in that book, the girl first sought refuge from a friend who was also Muslim. I'm quite sure that it ended up with her being forced back home (plus the shame 'circle' broadening) after which time she left again and someone at the school basically tricked her into sharing things about what had been going on, then said it was all lies, and basically told everyone she was a loose girl...or something along those lines.

Thus making the contrast by people that embraced her incredibly clear. I honestly don't remember what ever became of her relationship with her family (although I think the book had been relatively recent when I read it, so perhaps the true 'ending' wasn't really known)

But those type of things - speaking to someone who shares her faith only to turn around and use it against her, trick her into things, etc. - are all things I wouldn't be shocked if she encountered.

But, as with every group, it's made up of individuals, and that's not to say there might not be some in Muslim circles that would taken her in, but I think the odds are less likely.

It was this one - The Imam's Daughter: My Desperate Flight to Freedom: Hannah Shah: Amazon.com: Books (totally forgot about that! And the honor killing attempt!)

And here's a video summary of it with her telling part of it. Listening to it now I remember that I actually listened to the book and didn't read this one. That was probably part of why it struck me since I heard it with her voice. It's all coming back to me now!

I need to not stay up more, but tomorrow I'll try to find the other one since it is a book book.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JimmyVoodoo123
Back