UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
9:32am

The trial of Lucy Letby, who denies murdering seven babies at the Countess of Chester Hospital neonatal unit and attempting to murder 10 more, continues today (Thursday, March 23).
We will be bringing you live updates throughout the day.

Is anyone able to hazard a guess if the Defence would be likely to start before the Easter Bank Holiday?

Is anyone able to hazard a guess if the Defence would be likely to start before the Easter Bank Holiday?
10 court days before Easter break, including today.

I reckon the prosecution could finish evidence for baby Q in 4.

In the remaining 6 days I think it depends whether the prosecution intends to play any of her recorded police interviews, but think they will definitely take a day for the police search to bring the notes into evidence. I think there's a chance prosecution and defence could rest by Easter, leading into closing arguments when they come back on 18th April.

In the remaining 6 days I think it depends whether the prosecution intends to play any of her recorded police interviews, but think they will definitely take a day for the police search to bring the notes into evidence. I think there's a chance prosecution and defence could rest by Easter, leading into closing arguments when they come back on 18th April.

Thanks

That seems very quick to a layperson! But I suppose the factual stuff has all been heard already.

Dan O'Donoghue

Nurse Lucy Letby's murder trial continues at Manchester Crown Court this morning, we'll be hearing from medical experts - Dr Evans and Dr Bohin - on the death of triplet Child P in June 2016. The Crown say Ms Letby killed the infant by injecting air, she denies all charges

The court has previously heard that Child P died 24 hours after his brother, Child O, who the Crown say was killed by the same method.

It has been said that there are other deaths that would still put the hospital over their usual amount of deaths in that unit in that year long period.

I am thinking that even though LL was MAYBE on the floor for those other uncharged deaths, they may not have been clear cut cases that the prosecution could win. For example, they may have included babies with serious underlying medical issues, or babies who were fragile and underweight or severely premature, or there may not have been solid evidence placing LL in that child's room preceding the collapse.

If any of those circumstances existed, they may have decided against bringing charges, so it wouldn't muddy up the cases where they allegedly had more circumstantial evidence.
Yes I agree that no doubt charges weren't brought in these cases because the evidence didn't cross the threshold, and maybe the medical experts said that these children could have died for other reasons. I still think it's interesting though.

10:34am

The trial has now resumed.
Benjamin Myers KC is cross-examining medical expert Dr Dewi Evans, who has written reports on all babies involved in the trial.
The cross-examination today is focusing on Child P, one of two triplets who died at the Countess of Chester Hospital.

Yes I agree that no doubt charges weren't brought in these cases because the evidence didn't cross the threshold, and maybe the medical experts said that these children could have died for other reasons. I still think it's interesting though.
It could be very important info and depending upon how well each side explains it, it could have a big impact upon the jury.

I am not even sure if the judge will allow much of the info about any other deaths from that year into evidence. Babies who were very premature, or had underlying maladies would have no bearing on this trial.

But what if there were some babies who collapsed and died, but were not part of those charged against LL. But LL was on the unit at that time, when the babies died. If the babies had other underlying medical issues which might account for the deaths, like infections or pneumonia, then the prosecution would not want to accuse LL. It would muddy the other charges.
Even if the prosecution still had their suspicions she was somehow involved.

But if those babies were part of a large spike in deaths, the defense might want to use that to their advantage. They could say it was evidence that LL was being falsely blamed?

Dan O'Donoghue

@MrDanDonoghue

Dr Evans is now back in the witness box, Ms Letby's defence lawyer Ben Myers KC will be cross examining him on his evidence (given yesterday afternoon)

Mr Myers is first dealing with a matter from last week's evidence on Child O. The lawyer suggested to Dr Evans that injury found to Child O's liver post-mortem could have been caused in resuscitation attempts, the doctor refutes that this is possible with professional medics

Last week, Dr Evans told the court: 'I felt that the blood found in the liver was responsible for his collapse and at the time I thought that this was the result of trauma, in other words there was some trauma to the liver which had led to the collapse'

10:40am

In his reports, Dr Evans suggested the cause of death for Child P was complications from his pneumothorax. He was, however, suspicious of the large volume of air in the stomach and intestines evident on an x-ray.
In his subsequent reports Dr Evans concluded that excess air in the stomach could have “splinted” [child P's] diaphragm compromising his breathing.
Mr Myers is first asking about the efforts to save Child P's brother Child O, about damage to the liver. Mr Myers asks if this could come as a result of chest compressions. Dr Evans says if the compressions are done properly, this would not be the case.

LL said O had died on the student's first day of a four-week placement. She adds who was on duty that day.
nurse: hope other two have an easy ride now for the parents’ sake.
LL: worry as identical.
RSBM

After reading Dan's tweet saying "The court has previously heard that Child P died 24 hours after his brother, Child O, who the Crown say was killed by the same method" ...I've just realised the potential significance of LL's text, if guilty.

If guilty, she's laying the ground work that, as the triplets are identical, if the problem is congenital, whatever killed Baby O could also kill the other two triplets. She then goes on to allegedly kill Baby P by exactly the same method as Baby O, thus causing exactly the same symptoms in both babies, which would reinforce the theory that it might be something congential that could be affecting all of the triplets.

Unfortunately for LL if guilty, but fortunately for the third triplet, the concern that the problem might be congenital was one of the reasons he was transfered out of the hospital!

"It was decided that as the transport team were already present, they would take the surviving boy to Liverpool Women's Hospital, as they were not sure if there was a congenital condition."

ALL IMO

10:42am

A video is shown to the court showing the correct procedure on providing chest compressions to an infant.
Mr Myers again asks if it is possible for damage to be caused to the liver by several minutes of 'vigorous' chest compressions. Dr Evans says he has never seen it in his experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500