VERDICT WATCH UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the short deliberation days are for the welfare of the members of the jury, who are in an incredibly stressful situation for no fault of their own
Also, we have no idea whether jurors have minor children, disabled family members, or elderly family members they have to be there to take care of at certain times of day. I mean, being able to reliably get babysitters or respite any time you like would be wonderful, but that's not how the world works. It really wouldn't surprise me if a number of absences or early finishes were of the 'your child has a temperature and you must pick them up immediately' variety.

MOO

The school summer term holiday now has started 21st July and all back to school from the 5-6th September.

Summer Term 2023

Term Ends Friday, 21 July 2023

*School not open for pupils on these days

Autumn Term 2023
*Staff Training Monday, 4 September 2023
Year 7 students only Tuesday, 5 September 2023
All students in school Wednesday, 6 September 2023

I wonder if they expected the Judge to accept a majority verdict today, and instead he has still set it at unanimous, hence having to come back next week? So curious how the discharged juror may have potentially shaken the balance up.

I know it's frustrating, but I think we should give the jurors a bit of leeway and grace. This has taken over their whole life for a year, a case that is the worst of the worst. It is a very heavy burden to bear.

Surely there are not many scenarios where a Juror would be discharged at the end of a court day having deliberated.
I'm presuming "if" someone was pregnant they couldn't work past a certain date.
It does make me think a verdict not coming today though
The juror being discharged at the end of deliberations for the day has me thinking they may be very, very close to verdicts on all charges. Otherwise, wouldn’t it make more sense to dismiss the juror before sending the rest in to deliberate?

The juror being discharged at the end of deliberations for the day has me thinking they may be very, very close to verdicts on all charges. Otherwise, wouldn’t it make more sense to dismiss the juror before sending the rest in to deliberate?
Not sure I follow?

If they were very very close to verdicts on all charges, why not just see if the juror could continue for the short time it would take to reach the unanimous verdict the judge has asked for?

I wonder if it is more likely that the juror has a specific issue that is beyond their control, such as a medical issue, that has now given rise to a situation where they will need treatment, which was not expected before, and thus needs to take time off, which the judge decided would harm the deliberations so the best course of action would be to dismiss them.

deliberations predictions -

58h - @Jw192 (backed by @Sarahlou )
70h - @bobbymkii (backed by @Dotta )
75h - @CS2C (backed by @Kittybunny )
80h - @V347 (backed by @crystalline )

@marynnu who're you gonna back now?

Any more backing the above predictions, before I post up today's deliberation times, after 4pm?

They'll be up to about 57h at the end of today.

'

Any more backing the above predictions, before I post up today's deliberation times, after 4pm?

Can I back @CS2C and predict 75 hours,
my guess has long passed (in fact my guess feels like last years news) anything to pass the time while the jury are busy, they have a rainforest worth of documents on each of their iPads so it’s no wonder they are taking so long.
Actually, I don’t really care how long they take, justice is such a peculiar beast, as long as they do it thoroughly and to the best of their ability, that is all anyone asks regardless of whether it’s guilty or not guilty. They can then leave with their heads high.

The jury was sent home for the weekend at 4pm on Friday, August 4, with the jury having deliberated for more than 71 hours.

The 11 jurors are expected to resume deliberations on Tuesday, August 8, with the judge telling the jury that, "for good reason", the court cannot sit on Monday.

I'll go for bobbymkii. Mind you, I'm laid up with the dreaded lurgy right now so not really thinking straight. :D

ADMIN NOTE:

Comments that have the effect of bringing the administration of justice into disrepute are sub judice.

Accordingly, posts (OPs and responses) containing unfounded speculation and/or disparaging comments about the judge or the jury have been removed.

Thread is open again.

Is it true that when a member of the jury is absent that the rest of the jury also don’t get paid for that day ?

I'm at sea.. I knew I wouldn't be able to follow such a long winded case..
How powerful was prosecution evidence? just generally?
i only read a post a week I think..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member