VERDICT WATCH UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope that enables them to reach a verdict soon, and I really hope there's only one unsure juror on most charges - fair enough if a few are hung but I want to see verdicts for the majority of charges or we'll be back here for another 9 months sometime next year...

Yup, I believe the judge must have sent a note to ask if they were any where near a unanimous decision, and got the answer no. I hope that there is just one juror who is unsure. What if it all comes down to that other juror being discharged last week. I just hope that justice will in the end be done. If they can't reach a verdict, what heartbreak.

I do wonder whether the jurors are completely split on ALL charges, or if only on some. And if they are split, I wonder how much so. With only being able to return a 10-1, I feel a majority doesn’t really make a huge difference if there’s a massive split across the jurors sadly.

From BBC News report:

“Judge Mr Justice James Goss said the new direction means they will have to agree by 10-1 on any counts that are not unanimous.”

Has that just been poorly worded by the reporter? I doubt the jurors have told him they have unanimous decisions on some charges, and he certainly wouldn’t indicate it when addressing them surely lol.

From BBC News report:

“Judge Mr Justice James Goss said the new direction means they will have to agree by 10-1 on any counts that are not unanimous.”

Has that just been poorly worded by the reporter? I doubt the jurors have told him they have unanimous decisions on some charges, and he certainly wouldn’t indicate it when addressing them surely lol.

Yes, the Chester Standard has worded it differently:

The judge told the jurors they should still strive to reach a unanimous verdict, but a verdict of 10-1 would be acceptable. He added: "Nothing else will do" in relation to verdicts.

Length of Deliberations Predictions

Jul
Mon 10th - day 1 (afternoon only) - 2pm to 4pm minus 5mins = 1h 55m
Tue 11th - day 2 - 4h 20m
Wed 12th - day 3 - 4h 20m
Thu 13th - day 4 - 4h 20m
Fri 14th - day 5 - 4h 20m
Mon 24th - day 6 - 4h 20m
Tue 25th - day 7 - 4h 20m
Wed 26th - day 8 - 4h 15m
Thu 27th - day 9 - 4h 20m
Fri 28th - day 10 - 3h 50m (12pm - 4pm minus 2x 5 min breaks)
Aug
Tue 1st - day 11 - 4h 10m
Wed 2nd - day 12 - 4h 20m
Thu 3rd - day 13 - 4h 10m
Fri 4th - day 14 - 4h 15m
Tue 8th - day 15 - 4h 20m (majority direction given at 3pm)

Running total = 61h 35m

Still in the game -

58h - @Jw192 (backed by @Sarahlou and @Tortoise )
70h - @bobbymkii (backed by @Dotta and @marynnu )
75h - @CS2C (backed by @Kittybunny , @DianaWW , @Diddly1 and @Parker Knoll )
80h - @V347 (backed by @crystalline )

"Addressing the jury at Manchester Crown Court, Mr Justice Goss said: 'I am going to ask you to return to your deliberating room and continue with your deliberations and strive to reach unanimous verdicts.

'However, the time has now come when it is possible for me to accept verdicts upon which you are not all agreed, commonly referred to as majority verdicts.

'It must be by a majority of at least 10 of you, either 11-0 or 10-1. Nothing else will do.'"

Some background on unanimous vs majority verdicts from here:

A unanimous verdict

The Judge will always seek a unanimous verdict first. That is a verdict upon which all the jurors are agreed, so either guilty or not guilty. In the early stages of a jury considering its verdict, a Judge cannot accept a majority verdict. If the jury are completely stuck the judge can accept a majority decision. When that happens varies from case to case. Generally, judges wait longer in the more serious cases such as murder, armed robbery or firearms offences.

If a judge decides to allow a majority verdict he will tell the jury that they should try hard to reach a verdict that they all agree with. If they cannot do that he will tell them that a majority verdict will be accepted. In a jury of 12 no more than two jurors can disagree. Where the jury has 10 or 11 members only one person may disagree. On the otherhand if there are 9 jurors the verdict must be unanimous. If the verdict is not guilty, the defendant is free to leave court (if there are no other matters remaining).

So this suggests to me that the jury has told the Judge that they are stuck on at least some of the charges in that they cannot reach a unanimous verdict, and therefore he has given them the instructions he has today, which are entirely in line with the procedure described above. He has given them what? Three weeks to deliberate--as this is a very serious case--and now has deemed it appropriate to decide to allow a majority verdict.

If they cannot reach a majority on some charges, she won't be found not guilty but she won't be found guilty of them either. There can be a retrial if the judge agrees.

Hope for unanimous / majority verdicts on the majority of the case..hopefully this week if its just a case of getting their ducks in order

Well,
We can only hope, nothing else :(

I wonder if this Allit person and Shipman were convicted unanimously??

Well,
We can only hope, nothing else :(

I wonder if this Allit person and Shipman were convicted unanimously??

Shipman definitely. I would guess likely for Allitt too as IMO less complex than this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname