VERDICT WATCH UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my worry at times. I feel like if jurors have made up their minds now, they’re unlikely to change their minds at this stage. So could have reached a stalemate at this point.

If this is the case - the issue I really question & worry about is - surely they must be unanimous or have a majority on some of the charges ( eg the murder ones). I understand the jurors will have been privy to much more information than us, but I just cannot understand 11 members of the public being so split on some of the charges tbh. But maybe that’s just because of my own feelings & views on LL what verdict I would deliver.

Again, all MOO.
I think if they had reached a stalemate they would have squealed that they can't move forward by now and the judge's guidance would have reflected that. This hasn't been reported. JMO

I think the delay in reaching a verdict is understandable, and possibly vital. Knowing that someone could be imprisoned for life because of what you decide, is an awesome responsibility. If one or more jurors believe there is reasonable doubt, they surely have a moral and legal duty to vote Not Guilty?

Hmmm...what can we infer from that?
(Don't say 'nothing' as we need something to discuss!)
I think we can infer they are in agreement over what the evidence was and what the witnesses said. And there are no other points troubling them that they wanted to know and weren't covered during the trial.

So far.

Given someone is innocent till proven guilty do they only need a 10-1 majority for guilty? If there is no majority is the verdict automatically "not guilty" or do they need a majority either way?

I had a bad dream about the resolution of this case last night and was very relieved to wake up and discover I had just imagined it.
Me too but I’ve put it down to a 3am snack of cheese on toast to keep me going as I think I’ve finally knocked down a family history brick wall - patience is a virtue and now I’m feeling lucky. :D

Also glad they are starting late today so I could catch up on my sleep.

I never expected deliberations to still be going at this point. I am now wondering if they could be unable to reach verdicts on some charges. I won’t be surprised if there are some that the jury just can’t agree on even for a majority. I’m not sure if those charges would just end up being dropped if she was to be found guilty of some but not others. Perhaps some of the attempted murder charges. IMO the murder charges are pretty clear cut, it’s more likely attempted murder that is taking the time and causing a split.

Hoping justice is served today.

MOO

I never expected deliberations to still be going at this point. I am now wondering if they could be unable to reach verdicts on some charges. I won’t be surprised if there are some that the jury just can’t agree on even for a majority. I’m not sure if those charges would just end up being dropped if she was to be found guilty of some but not others. Perhaps some of the attempted murder charges. IMO the murder charges are pretty clear cut, it’s more likely attempted murder that is taking the time and causing a split.

Hoping justice is served today.

MOO
if that is the case is it likely they will be asked to give partial verdicts at some point and then the judge will decide what to do with the rest, i.e. allow them to continue to deliberate on the ones they can't reach majority on, or declare hung jury on those?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamabee1221