GUILTY UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, murder of babies, 7 Guilty of murder verdicts; 7 Guilty of attempted murder; 2 Not Guilty of attempted; 6 hung re attempted #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just caught up on sky news! They were definitely prepared. So glad justice prevailed and that we only have to wait till Monday for sentencing. Surely it’s got to a full life term!

My husband's peddling away on his exercise bike and shouted me to let me know the news. Oh thank god, I was starting to get a bit worried! every single parent that's ever clapped eyes on her within the hospital must be filled with utter fear and anxiety.

That must be so difficult for the families of those babies. As was said on the news, a bitter-sweet conclusion.
Children H, J, K, and Q still have charges without a verdict. For Child H, she was found not guilty on one charge.

Child G, she was found guilty on two charges, not guilty on another.

Child N, she was found guilty on one charge, no verdict on others.

I suspect that if she is retried on any charges, it may be those of H, J, K, and Q.

MOO

I have no idea, but I doubt the police interviewed every single person LL ever went to school with or uni with or whatever. It'll be interesting to hear what comes out about her now that people can unleash all their thoughts and feelings.
I agree. I mentioned a while back, though, that now she's convicted people can say essentially anything about her regardless of how true it is as she can hardly sue them for defamation.

This story from this mum is just mindblowing. I think there will absolutely be more victims.

Children H, J, K, and Q still have charges without a verdict. For Child H, she was found not guilty on one charge.

Child G, she was found guilty on two charges, not guilty on another.

Child N, she was found guilty on one charge, no verdict on others.

I suspect that if she is retried on any charges, it may be those of H, J, K, and Q.

MOO

I also feel this shows how seriously the Jury took each individual charge .

I guess I just can't fathom wanting to throw yourself under the bus for your child when they're a serial killer of newborn babies. If any of my kids did that, I'm afraid while a sliver of parental love would remain, they'd definitely not have my support. I would not help them. I would do everything in my power to make sure they fulfilled all legal obligations and turned themselves in and served their time. And I would mourn whatever I did wrong for them to turn out that way, and the opportunities I'd missed to get them the help they needed.

Much more recently,

Letby refused to return to court to hear the later verdicts but at an earlier verdict hearing had bowed her head and sobbed while her mother, Susan, cried loudly and said: “You cannot be serious. This cannot be right.”

She needs to acknowledge that she's guilty and the harm done by her daughter to her victims before I'll feel sorry for her at all. I don't care if that means I'm mean or whatever, I just can't feel sympathy for anyone but the babies and their families.
It seems (for me personally) her mother is very much in denial. I’ve said this previously here in the threads, but there will be a tsunami of all sorts of harrowing stuff coming out, her childhood, etc. I just get a feeling there is *something* dark lurking in the shadows and perhaps her mum might have been aware of it (eg cruelty to a pet for example), she grows up into this “well respected” nurse her mother is proud of. Didn’t someone here say her mother had acclaimed herself outside the court as the “mother of the nurse” or something similar?

You only have to look back at letbys comments about how her parents wouldn’t “like it” if she moved etc, it seems a rather strained dynamic to me and I can’t yet put my finger on exactly why, yet. She also made reference about the holiday in cockington, with her parents, how different things “might” have been. Maybe nothing unusual until you read about her mothers very peculiar reaction. There seems to be something quite odd about this whole dynamic to me.

This story from this mum is just mindblowing. I think there will absolutely be more victims.
WOW, I always wondered if Baby D was an act of revenge after the parents asked her to give them some privacy when she was hovering around. This story sounds very similar:

Ms Artell says she and her husband were discussing how their premature son was making good progress on the unit when the couple noticed Letby eavesdropping on their conversation.

She says, out of the blue, Letby told them: "I don't like parents getting their hopes up because we never know what could happen at this stage."

Ms Artell, who was herself a nurse at the hospital and had suffered numerous miscarriages, made a complaint to senior staff on the ward.

Speaking exclusively to Sky News, she said: "As a parent, I absolutely erupted and was furious. How dare you take that hope away from me?

"This was my seventh pregnancy... she needed to know that that was inappropriate."

The next day, the mother briefly left her two-day-old son's bedside to get a coffee. When she returned, nurses and doctors were gathered around him, drawing the screens.

He'd had a huge spike in his insulin levels and was receiving urgent treatment.

--

And Baby D:

she (Letby) was sort of hovering around D, but not doing much. She had a clipboard to take notes.

'She was looking at the machines. I didn't know what she was doing. I asked if everything was ok. She said 'Yes, fine'.

'I would have expected she could have just left us to it. It was the first time I'd seen D (since her birth). She just stuck around. I asked my husband to ask her to go away, to give us some privacy'...

Giving evidence at Manchester Crown Court on Thursday, child D's mother described seeing Letby 'hovering around' in the neonatal unit on the evening before her daughter's death.

The following morning she and her husband had been woken by a nurse in the post-natal ward who told them: '(Baby D) is very poorly. You need to come down'.

The first-time mother was helped into a wheelchair and rushed to the neonatal unit of the Countess of Chester Hospital on June 22, 2015.

As they burst in she saw a paediatric doctor, Andrew Brunton, holding the infant and trying to resuscitate her.

Just seen the verdicts; I'm guessing the thread will continue growing faster than I can read it so here's my out-of-date thoughts:

I'm glad to see the verdicts; and not surprised a few couldn't be agreed upon. Baby H always seemed the one with most medical doubt, so, sad as it is for her family, I understand the "not guilty". I can't fully remember the medical basis for J, K and Q (although the timing of Q made it really suspicious to me) so will have to wait for one of Tortoise's excellent summaries (probably already posted!) to see if I agree with why those didn't reach a verdict.

Overall I'm glad I wasn't on the jury; even after all the evidence, all the patterns and similarities, I retained a small amount of doubt, even though I mostly thought she was guilty, and if others were of similar mind, it would definitely have taken a good amount of discussion to reach a verdict. Interesting to see the verdicts were taken on three separate days; I wonder if one of those lined up with the seemingly randomly timed majority direction? I can't remember the date that happened, nor the date juror #12 was released, probably as I catch up I'll find someone's already posted these.

BBC's article about the ignoring of the doctors Hospital bosses ignored months of doctors' warnings about Lucy Letby made me angry - two lives lost because of wilfully ignoring evidence and refusing to look into it properly. If there's no way of holding those responsible accountable for it (IMO this verges on manslaughter through negligence), perhaps the publicity of this will lead to a law change so in future anyone in a position of responsibility who is clearly told of a suspicious pattern of deaths/illnesses, must report it to police. It's such an exceptional situation that it's very rarely likely to occur, but allowing it to go on for months/years to save face should not happen, ever.

I hope there is a police investigation into gross negligence on part of the managers
There will undoubtedly be a huge public enquiry into this. I don’t feel this is by any means the end, but for the parents, I truly hope one day they may find some peace. God bless them all and the jury who must have found this incredibly traumatic to sit through, hear such devastation.

For a woman accused of such grave crimes, Lucy Letby cut an almost pitiable figure in the witness box at Manchester crown court.
Clutching a fluffy purple comforter out of sight of the jury, the nurse dissolved into tears at reminders of her home life. The 33-year-old wept at any mention of her cats, Tigger and Smudge, and sobbed when the court saw a photograph of her childlike bedroom, with four fluffy toys laid across her “sweet dreams” duvet, fairy lights on her bedframe, and art saying “leave sparkles wherever you go” pinned to the wall.
I just...this woman was just convicted of murdering 7 innocent babies and is written about like she's a hapless, lost soul. Absolutely infuriating. (The same article goes into nearly granular detail about her decorating choices.)

I can't help but wonder if the same stance would be taken had the nurse in question been a poorer foreign national of color. Somehow, I think not. And while I am grateful to have convictions, I'd be far happier to have convictions across the board. What is the statistical likelihood those babies weren't injured by the serial killer charged with their care? Glad the jury was obviously so thorough as I know it was a complicated case but I thought it was a lot stronger than to have taken 3 weeks to reach a conclusion. So this one has me angsty. JMO

Lock her up and throw away the key. Expect a whole life sentence on Monday. R.I.P. Little ones and my thoughts with the parents and families of all the babies.

re: her mother's reaction, reminds me of Gemma Mitchell's mother when she was convicted.

I just swore a blue streak after reading this. It shouldn't be shocking after the months of testimony we've heard, but it is.

Vampire, vulture, leech. This serial killer fed on misery. The anticipation, the glee she seems to exhibit when anticipating a kill. It's torture, pure and simple. She's a sadist. She plans, she acts, she celebrates.

I don't know whether we're allowed to anticipate sentence, but I wouldn't expect she'll ever see the sun without wearing shackles again, and that is too light a punishment, IYAM.

MOO

Oh god, my heart. Seeing little Asa - a young boy now - just underscores what lots of the other families should have but don't.

I think we'll hear she made more fatalistic comments to parents, and picked those who she could devastate the most. I agree she was a sadist - and I think she liked getting revenge on anyone who didn't treat her like she felt she deserved to be treated, in addition to being opportunistic.

Last edited:
Worst child serial killer in modern history is the headline.

Wow.

Props to all of you who stuck by this thread through it all, I dipped out and watches from afar. I'm so glad those babies who died got justice, I really feel for the families who have not guilty and no verdict because I believe she's guilty of it all. And there will definitely be other victims out there. They are now looking into her time at Liverpool women's hospital.

I don't know whether we're allowed to anticipate sentence, but I wouldn't expect she'll ever see the sun without wearing shackles again, and that is too light a punishment, IYAM.

MOO
The sentencing procedure is set out in law.

It'll be a whole life order. I don't see any mitigating factors at all here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member