UK UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London - Clapham Common area, 3 March 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent a lot of time walking when I lived in SE London. I haven't seen what it is like under lockdown, but I never really felt like suburban London was quiet or isolated at any time of the day or night. It 'feels' like this could be random ill fortune for poor Sarah. Women should not have to assume that they're going to be harmed if they are going about their business alone.

On a sorta related note, I've seen a lot on social media recently about female runners being assaulted by men walkers or cyclists - being punched or hit or having their bottom smacked. It really does make you think. Why do men feel so entitled to do this stuff?

I spent a lot of time walking when I lived in SE London. I haven't seen what it is like under lockdown, but I never really felt like suburban London was quiet or isolated at any time of the day or night. It 'feels' like this could be random ill fortune for poor Sarah. Women should not have to assume that they're going to be harmed if they are going about their business alone.

On a sorta related note, I've seen a lot on social media recently about female runners being assaulted by men walkers or cyclists - being punched or hit or having their bottom smacked. It really does make you think. Why do men feel so entitled to do this stuff?

Unfortunately there are many men who seem to feel entitled in this way. Predators do not care who the woman is, what age she is, or how safe or confident she may feel in what she is doing - they're just opportunists.

We have established that some women walk after dark, some don't, it's personal choice. Evidently, Sarah decided to walk home, at least until the point we are aware of. Perhaps she got a bus, or a ride, perhaps not. The question now isn't whether we would personally feel safe to walk after dark - it's what happened to Sarah with the knowledge that she set off on foot in the dark.

My personal speculation is that she was approached by a vehicle and is not in the area, based on lack of evidence at the scene of disappearance, and given separate reports of at least one attack and another woman/women being followed by a van in the same area recently. I hope that people looking at their home/dashcam videos are noting vehicles as well as looking for a figure in a green jacket walking past.

[
We have established that some women walk after dark, some don't, it's personal choice. Evidently, Sarah decided to walk home, at least until the point we are aware of. Perhaps she got a bus, or a ride, perhaps not. The question now isn't whether we would personally feel safe to walk after dark - it's what happened to Sarah with the knowledge that she set off on foot in the dark.

My personal speculation is that she was approached by a vehicle and is not in the area, based on lack of evidence at the scene of disappearance, and given separate reports of at least one attack and another woman/women being followed by a van in the same area recently. I hope that people looking at their home/dashcam videos are noting vehicles as well as looking for a figure in a green jacket walking past.

I am inclined to agree. Although Google Maps looks really leafy around that area, most of the trees are barren and the parks are pretty busy through lockdown. If anything had been in any of those areas I feel it would have been found by now.

The cctv image of Sarah was from the Sainsbury's Local at 21 Balham Hill. Near Clapham South tube station. Google Maps

edited to add close up of the pavement tiles Google Maps

Interesting. Have you had this confirmed from a source? There's another Sainsbury's local that has the same tile pattern which @Parmalade has picked up on - 266-270 Brixton Hill.

It would make sense for her to pick up the wine at the shop closest to the friends house.

Unfortunately there are many men who seem to feel entitled in this way. Predators do not care who the woman is, what age she is, or how safe or confident she may feel in what she is doing - they're just opportunists.
Yep you are describing to a tee someone like that piece of garbage Kasim Lewis who murdered Juliana Tudos and Catherine Burke in London in 2017. A psychopathic opportunist. I pray that Sarah didn’t have the misfortune to cross the path of someone similar.

Interesting. Have you had this confirmed from a source? There's a couple of Sainsbury's locals that have the same tile pattern which @Parmalade has picked up on. The other one is 266-270 Brixton Hill.

It would make sense for her to pick up the wine at the shop closest to the friends house.
Ah, yes I was focused on the tile pattern and it is the same type at Brixton Hill! :oops: Google Maps

I will edit my post to say it's another possibility. Thank you.

Agreed, RapunzelUK. The important thing is what happened to her. I had just wondered if Sarah's choosing to walk in the dark suggested that something may have gone wrong before she embarked on her journey that might have given us a clue as to what could have happened to her.

According to what people are saying on this thread, though, I'm now understanding that for a lot of people, walking in the dark in London is a very normal thing to do, so my initial idea is probably not relevant.

Sarah seems quite active, and as others have commented there was no direct transport from her friends house to her house, so I don’t think walking is that unusual if the alternative is walk a bit, catch a bus, wait for a second bus, then walk a bit. Also public transport is supposed to be for “essential journeys only”. The South Circular route she appears to have taken is like a mini M25 within London and quite a busy route so I wouldn’t have blinked twice at walking that route on my own at 9pm and did a similar journey myself just last weekend.

I don’t think people like to ring the police at a drop of a hat and be seen to waste police time. It probably took a day of unanswered messages and asking others to really ramp up concern. As others have pointed it out - it was still a work day the next day and people will have been preoccupied and not everyone need to chat to their friends every single day, esp if they have just caught up in person. We don’t know that her bf and her friend even knew each other so may not have been aware of each other’s concerns of lack of communication as people have many circles of friends.

I suppose it depends what was normal between Sarah and her friends. If the walk from her friend's house was a frequent thing and something that her friends thought of as an unthreatening journey they might not expect a message to say she was home safely.

She probably had taken that walking root home many times before and trusted her instincts and local knowledge on how to get home

Ah, yes I was focused on the tile pattern and it is the same type at Brixton Hill! :oops: Google Maps

I will edit my post to say it's another possibility. Thank you.

Great spot - this Sainsbury’s is now my favoured one, as it matches the tile work, door width, doesn’t appear to have social distancing markings outside it like the Brixton Hill one, and (presuming the CCTV still isn’t mirrored) makes sense for SE to be entering it on her left, which the BH one didn’t if assuming she lives slightly north of it in Craster Road. I also agree with Eliza that it would make more sense not to carry a bottle of wine (noting she wasn’t reported to be carrying a backpack or bag) further than she needed to, and especially if it was white (no details as far as I’m aware) as you’d expect they’d want to consume white chilled. This never sat right with me when I found the Brixton Hill one but was convinced in the absence of finding another with similar tiling/paving.

Not sure how I missed this one but I now favour this as the right Sainsbury’s. Thanks!

I'm confused about the significance of the Sainsbury's. This isn't intended to be a snarky comment, merely asking for clarification.

Last known location was her friend's house.

The friend must have confirmed that she left the house wearing the same outfit as she is wearing in that CCTV which is why they have realised that image, to jog people's minds and to assist them as they look on their dashcams. Confirming which shop she went to won't help confirm or rule out the route she took home. It is there to provide a visual. IMO.

'The CCTV image of Ms Everard released by the police was captured in Sainsbury's on Wednesday. She visited the store to buy a bottle of wine before going to her friend's house.' (ITV news)

This outlet is reporting that the call with the partner ended at 9:28pm. I think this was largely assumed but I am not sure I’d seen anything definitive reported on when the 15 min call started and ended, just that the phone pinged Clarence Ave mast around that time.

It’s also clear that the police advise they suspect SE did use the A205 South Circular rather than generalise it as “across the Common”. However, as explained by posters above, this stretch of the A205 does go through the edge of the Common. Again, apologies if this added clarity was already known to some and all.

Missing Sarah Everard's family tell of 'desperation' as police search continues four days on - Newsfeed

One thing that’s very clear from the discussion here is the lengths all women still have to go to just to feel/be safe getting home at night. It’s exhausting that we have to do all of this, just to be allowed to live our lives. Sarah had every reasonable expectation that she should be able to walk a familiar route home in the evening without meeting any trouble.

The unfortunate truth is, public transport is not without its risks either - a dodgy Uber driver, some pervert at the bus stop. Sometimes walking feels safest because you get to keep moving.

Truly hoping for a good outcome here - I suppose best case scenario being that she’s had a mental breakdown and is hiding out. Lockdown has been hard on all of us, but unfortunately that includes criminals too, who often use violence etc as a way to process their own difficult emotions and mental illness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member