US coal mine collapse traps six-Utah - Thread No. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree...if there is no sign on number five hole...they have run out of options. It will be dictated by the surviving families when they quit, IMO. If the families still want them to drill...they will. The company has nothing to lose with the families if they pull out every stop to save them. They will use this in their defense to the lawsuits that will come.

If they are wise.

NO one decides wisdom...let's just hope they use judicial premise. OH, nevermind...they will use it and have.

I hope and pray for the sake of those families that their heirs will go to school and not go into mining. Please pray for them.

If they were my relatives, I would do EVERYTHING in my power to keep them in school and away from the mines.

My brother currently drives cab for a living. He has had a couple of careers and took up cab driving to pay the mortgage after they closed their business and moved a few years earlier. A couple of months ago a cab driver was stabbed to death where he lives. He told me my 15 year niece was very distressed and begged him to do something else. Thankfully he had already enrolled in a 8 month course in another direction so he was able to tell her he was working on it. My heart went out to both of them. We all have to pay the bills - keep your kids in school.

I give the same advice...go to school. Do what you love. Do not put yourself in a position to be harmed at any price...which is what cab drivers ultimately do.
Back to the miners...their pay is so much better than whatever is offered around the area. This is a huge factor as to why they are in that mine to begin with. We need to offer them better money and wages in other industries.

It certainly says everything I have been saying all day including what I have said about Murray. Sorry to have to say.

Yes it does!!! Kind of completely says it all.

I wonder what Vegas Bride has been hearing around her town???

Many of us realized from the very beginning, that the bodies of these six miners, might never be recovered. The fact that in the first few days of digging out the tunnel, after the first event, they experienced setbacks, that forced them to retreat, and re-excavate areas of the tunnel, that they had already re-excavated, was a harbinger of things to come. During the entire time, the mountain kept sending seismic messages about its instability. It's hard to accept this reality, but the unfortunate loss of three more miners certainly brought reality back to the forefront.

Many of us realized from the very beginning, that the bodies of these six miners, might never be recovered. The fact that in the first few days of digging out the tunnel, after the first event, they experienced setbacks, that forced them to retreat, and re-excavate areas of the tunnel, that they had already re-excavated, was a harbinger of things to come. During the entire time, the mountain kept sending seismic messages about its instability. It's hard to accept this reality, but the unfortunate loss of three more miners certainly brought reality back to the forefront.

Sadly I think you are right Buzz.

Yes, I tried to say this in nice ways. The reality is the men were lost to begin with and now 3 more are lost. We see it time after time with no moving towards a different technological output. We put a man on the freaking moon and men in a space station...but we are at a loss when it comes to our miners.

This tells me that the very people who are there to pay them are the very ones to bury them. We have not protected them from day one and we have not assured them of payment for what they risk. If they are risking their life for companies...they should be given a parcel of that company. At least, when they die a horrid death...their family goes on.

(KUTV) HUNTINGTON - The families of the six coal miners trapped underneath a mountain in central Utah heavily criticized mine officials late Sunday -- essentially accusing them of giving up the rescue effort, even though the workers could still be alive.

A spokesman for the families spoke to the public on Sunday night in Huntington, where he essentially called out mine co-owners Robert Murray and Rob Moore for giving up the rescue effort after a fourth bore hole did not yield any promising results.

The families expressed disappointment because rescuers have not yet drilled a hole large enough to lower rescuers down into the mountain -- or carry men out of the mine. They also said that tunneling into the mountain -- which resulted in the deaths of three rescuers after a seismic "bump" on Aug. 16 -- was unnecessary, given the option of drilling the larger hole.

The families' harsh criticisms came just hours after the latest update from mining officials, whose attitude changed dramatically between Saturday and Sunday.

Sunday afternoon, officials admitted they were unsure whether a rescue could be achieved and admitted that the miners might never be found.

More at link: http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_218103238.html

That doesn't surprise me. Of course, they want more. If it were me, I would want more. Realization is that there is no more. It is over. They need to deal with it.

I personally don't think it's over. I think they will try to gain access to the miners down in the mine again. I don't think that is wise but my guess is that they will try again.

ETA: I would also bet there are plenty of miners you would have to hold back to stop them from trying to go back into the mine to look for the 6 trapped miners.

I personally don't think it's over. I think they will try to gain access to the miners down in the mine again. I don't think that is wise but my guess is that they will try again.

ETA: I would also bet there are plenty of miners you would have to hold back to stop them from trying to go back into the mine to look for the 6 trapped miners.
I am sure you reflect many feelings. If you look at the reality tho...you will see there is no option that will bring them home alive at his point. <sigh> Sometimes...you have to let it go.

I think in reality the miners families want their loved ones back be it them coming out alive (which I'm fairly certain they don't have much hope for this anymore) or finding their bodies and retrieving them for a proper burial. If there is no body there is no closure and you will always wonder what happened to them. Did they survive the initial collapse? Did they hang on for days hoping help was coming to them?

It's easy to say "you have to let it go" but it's not that easy to do IMO.

I am sure you reflect many feelings. If you look at the reality tho...you will see there is no option that will bring them home alive at his point. <sigh> Sometimes...you have to let it go.

I give the same advice...go to school. Do what you love. Do not put yourself in a position to be harmed at any price...which is what cab drivers ultimately do.
Back to the miners...their pay is so much better than whatever is offered around the area. This is a huge factor as to why they are in that mine to begin with. We need to offer them better money and wages in other industries.

Just wanted to say that a very close friend of mine, a photographer for a Riverside CA NEWSPAPER.......who was at this very mine just before THIS HAPPENED DOING A STORY................. was not allowed into the mines.
It would have taken a week for him get permission. He also said.........that if , IF he was permitted to go down, he refused to do it. It's really scary.
NOW.....there have been no report's at ALL about how much money these miners make. HE had the answer. ABout $50,000 a year, and where they live THAT'S A LOT OF MONEY. .. I cannot believe that this has never..ever been published!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooooo
mama
:blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

I thought it was stated in some article that they make around $20-$25 an hour.

ABout $50,000 a year, and where they live THAT'S A LOT OF MONEY. .. I cannot believe that this has never..ever been published!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooooo
mama
:blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

This article explains a little about their wages at the mine.

<snip>
Jayro said he, his cousin and uncle and other Mexican families are lured here because of the high wages miners earn. In Mexico, he made $100 a week versus the $1,000 a week he earns as a miner. Still, he plans to return with his family to Mexico in December.

Two of the men trapped in the Crandall Canyon mine have relatives in Mexico, and their families have requested help in obtaining humanitarian visas to quickly bring loved ones to Utah. On Tuesday, Manuel Morodo, an assistant to Salt Lake Mexican Consul Salvador Jimenez, said some family members were on the way. Sen. Orrin Hatch's office confirmed that four people are coming to Utah from Mexico, but it is not known if they are the Hernandez relatives.

</snip>

Source: http://www.sltrib.com/ci_6626682

It's easy to say "you have to let it go" but it's not that easy to do IMO.

You're so right! How can they let go? How can they give up hope? That's all they have. If they don't keep fighting to get their family members back, to get answers, whom will? I say more power to them. How many of us have lost loved one's, been able to bury them and yet we still can't "let go". :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get