US Supreme Court Justice Scalia, 79, found dead, 13 Feb 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a former professor that died on the job because he was a workaholic, and a cousin that died needlessly because he was more scared of doctors than his illness. It happens. Bet Scalia was in denial.

I wouldn't be surprised if Scalia believed himself to be stronger than he was and in some denial. Men like that can be stubborn.

My father was like that. When he finally went in for surgery it was no surprise he never came out. Denial is a powerful drug.

I wouldn't be surprised if Scalia believed himself to be stronger than he was and in some denial. Men like that can be stubborn.

My father was like that. When he finally went in for surgery it was no surprise he never came out. Denial is a powerful drug.

I heard an interview today with Nina Totenberg, who knew Scalia. She said (I'm paraphrasing) that Scalia felt that since he was appointed by a Republican president he should not resign until another Republican president was in office to replace him.

So maybe it was a little bit of that and a little bit of denial as well.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...l-not-attend-justice-scalia-s-funeral-n520236

President Barack Obama will not attend Justice Antonin Scalia's funeral Saturday, the White House confirmed.

I should be shocked, but I'm not, given this POTUS's disgraceful, petulant attitude toward anyone he doesn't ideologically agree with. Absolutely the wrong thing for a sitting POTUS to do. Yet another example of very bad leadership, on many levels. Let's make this into more of a partisan circus than it already is.

Whether you love his opinions or not, Scalia served this country honorably for 30 years on the SCOTUS bench. Obama should be at the funeral to pay respects for the country, even if he can't bring himself to do it for himself or his office.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...l-not-attend-justice-scalia-s-funeral-n520236

I should be shocked, but I'm not, given this POTUS's disgraceful, petulant attitude toward anyone he doesn't ideologically agree with. Absolutely the wrong thing for a sitting POTUS to do. Yet another example of very bad leadership, on many levels. Let's make this into more of a partisan circus than it already is.

Whether you love his opinions or not, Scalia served this country honorably for 30 years on the SCOTUS bench. Obama should be at the funeral to pay respects for the country, even if he can't bring himself to do it for himself or his office.

Do you truly, honestly believe that Obama's attendance at the funeral would be perceived as a gesture of respect rather than be immediately pounced upon among some factions as nakedly political, an attempt to remind everyone that he is still POTUS and intends to replace Scalia, a blatant attempt at diverting attention to himself rather than to Scalia...oh I don't know, fill in the blanks.

It's been my perception over the past 7 years that the man is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

I see it as an attempt to make sure the focus at the funeral is on Scalia rather than him, as of course it should be.

Do you truly, honestly believe that Obama's attendance at the funeral would be perceived as a gesture of respect rather than be immediately pounced upon among some factions as nakedly political, an attempt to remind everyone that he is still POTUS and intends to replace Scalia, a blatant attempt at diverting attention to himself rather than to Scalia...oh I don't know, fill in the blanks.

It's been my perception over the past 7 years that the man is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

I see it as an attempt to make sure the focus at the funeral is on Scalia rather than him, as of course it should be.

This is a silly argument. He is not attending because he doesn't want to detract from Scalia?! You make me laugh. So with that argument you are insinuating every other funeral he attended he was OK with upstaging the deceased? Here is a list of funerals he has attended, can you find a pattern?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...als-president-obama-has-and-has-not-attended/

This is a silly argument. He is not attending because he doesn't want to detract from Scalia?! You make me laugh. So with that argument you are insinuating every other funeral he attended he was OK with upstaging the deceased? Here is a list of funerals he has attended, can you find a pattern?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...als-president-obama-has-and-has-not-attended/

No, I don't really see a pattern. And my day job involves identifying patterns in much larger data samples than this.

Nor do I see him attending any funerals at which he might distract (not detract) attention from the guest of honor.

Please enlighten me regarding what you are seeing that I am not.

White House: Obama 'regrets' decision to filibuster Supreme Court Justice Alito

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...upreme-court-justice-alito.html?intcmp=hplnws

Maybe in ten years the Republican majority Senate can regret blocking the President's nominee for the Supreme Court.

Some things are worth fighting for. I was hoping for a compromise but it doesn't appear that will happen.

I hear ya. It seems compromise has become a dirty word for Congressional representatives on both sides of the aisle.

He didn't attend Sargent Shriver's but he did attend Senator Ted Kennedy's. Suspicious. Hmmm, maybe you are on to something.

What's your theory?

This is not unheard of:

"Four out of the past seven funerals for a Supreme Court justice have either had the president or vice president in attendance."

Have a look at the little graph that goes with the story you linked to.

He is still paying his respects and the VP will be in attendance, but as we've witnessed time and time again he will be criticized and ripped apart no matter his decision, even if it is reasonable and others have made the same decision.

In my father's case when he was 58 years old he just wasn't feeling well. He went to the doctor, many tests were performed including an EKG & no problems were revealed. About a month later he fell to the ground dead. Sometimes the doctor's just don't find the serious problems.

Sandra Day O'Connor: Obama should name Scalia's replacement

O'Connor, a nominee of President Ronald Reagan who became the court's swing vote until she retired from the bench in 2006, broke with Republicans who say they plan to block Obama's nominee, and want his successor to name the next justice.

"I don't agree (with Republicans)," O'Connor said in an interview with Phoenix-based Fox affiliate KSAZ. "We need somebody in there to do the job and just get on with it."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/17/politics/sandra-day-oconnor-obama-scalia-replacement/

We have no idea the relationship between Obama and Scalia. It's not compulsory for the POTUS to attend the funeral, and for all we know, they didn't get along and it would be disrespectful for him to attend. JMO

Everyone is all up on Obama's case about every single thing he does or does not do that they don't approve of. I honestly do not give a flip what funerals he attends. Or any POTUS for that matter.

I just watched Megyn Kelly and she says it's unprecedented - Obama will be the first President not to attend a sitting Supreme Court Justice's funeral. (Paraphrasing)

I just watched Megyn Kelly and she says it's unprecedented - Obama will be the first President not to attend a sitting Supreme Court Justice's funeral. (Paraphrasing)

Well, let's see. The last sitting justice who died in office was William Rehnquist, 2005. George W. Bush attended his funeral.

The last one before him was Robert H. Jackson who died in 1954.

I have been unable to find a trustworthy source for whether President Eisenhower attended Jackson's funeral.

I think Megyn might be pulling "facts" out of her ... wherever. :biggrin:

Hmmm.

The ranch is 30,000-acre getaway that is home to John B. Poindexter, according to the website of J.B. Poindexter & Co. It is a remote location that has reportedly attracted the likes of Mick Jagger, Jerry Hall and Bruce Willis. When Tommy Lee Jones directed a movie more than a decade ago, he filmed several scenes at the ranch, according to the Houston Chronicle.

Who paid for his trip?

All of which raises the question: Who pays for a Supreme Court justice to make this kind of trip?

Not Scalia, it turns out. Poindexter told The Washington Post that Scalia was not charged for his stay, something he described as a policy for all guests at the ranch.

“I did not pay for the Justice’s trip to Cibolo Creek Ranch,” Poindexter wrote in a brief email Tuesday. “He was an invited guest, along with a friend, just like 35 others.”

Poindexter added: “The Justice was treated no differently by me, as no one was charged for activities, room and board, beverages, etc. That is a 22-year policy.’’

However, Poindexter said he did not pay for Scalia’s charter flight to Texas.

A person familiar with the ranch’s operations said Poindexter hosts such events two or three times a year.

Poindexter, who would not identify Scalia’s friend, is a Texas native and decorated Vietnam veteran who owns Houston-based J.B. Poindexter & Co., a manufacturing firm.

The company has seven subsidiaries, with combined annual revenue of nearly $1 billion, according to information on its website. Among the items it manufacturers are delivery vans for UPS and FedEx and machine components for limousines and hearses. The company has 5,000 employees, the site said.

One of Poindexter’s companies was involved in a case that made it to the high court. Last year, the Supreme Court declined to hear a case involving an age discrimination lawsuit filed against one of these companies, court records show.

The nature of Poindexter’s relationship with Scalia remained unclear Tuesday, one of several lingering questions about his visit. It was not known whether Scalia had paid for his own ticket to fly to the ranch or if someone else picked up the tab, just as it was not immediately clear if Scalia had visited before.

[snip]

Roberts issued his report at the end of a year in which more than 100 law professors nationwide asked Congress to give the Supreme Court an ethical code of conduct after it emerged that Scalia and Justice Clarence Thomas had attended private political meetings sponsored by billionaire conservative donors David and Charles Koch.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...preme-court-justices-to-visit-remote-resorts/

Well, let's see. The last sitting justice who died in office was William Rehnquist, 2005. George W. Bush attended his funeral.

The last one before him was Robert H. Jackson who died in 1954.

I have been unable to find a trustworthy source for whether President Eisenhower attended Jackson's funeral.

I think Megyn might be pulling "facts" out of her ... wherever. :biggrin:

BBM You are bad IzzyBlanche! LOL :naughty: :)

I just heard on NPR that Eisenhower did not attend Jackson's funeral. So Megyn Kelly is mistaken.

Also it was stated that VP Biden had a personal relationship with Scalia while Obama did not. And security at the funeral for Biden would be less wieldy and disruptive than security for the president.

All of these seem like perfectly valid reasons to me for Biden rather than Obama to attend, instead of the petulant tantrum the Obama haters are calling it.

Biden, Ted Cruz & Dick Cheney were at the funeral. I watched the entire service just because I like Catholic services. For me, it's a good way to worship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona